Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will it cost rescue centers?

• 23-04-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

How much will it cost rescue centers to conform to the Dog Breeding Establishments Act?
    The deadline is getting nearer and the devil will be in the detail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

What would they have to conform to?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

It would be in anyones interest involved with rescue centers/shelters to read the relevant Act. I have read most of it and only have my understanding of it.
    It would be prudent of them I think to be the operator of a charitable organisation within the meaning of the Charities Act 2009 ( or have a chy: no.) and to get clarity from their local authority as to when they have to microchip each dog they take in. These actions could save them a lot of euro and headache by being prepared.:)
    All just my humble opinion but when forethought can save money its time to put the thinking cap on. That is free.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I haven't read it but a lot of rescues already microchip dogs before rehoming even the smaller rescues so a lot will already be prepared in that respect. The chip reader wouldn't be a hugely expensive thing but the chips themselves will probably be more of a cost in the long run but hopefully most rescues will get that back through the adoption fee although adoption fees rarely cover vaccinations/spaying/vet care etc. as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

I haven't read it but a lot of rescues already microchip dogs before rehoming even the smaller rescues so a lot will already be prepared in that respect. The chip reader wouldn't be a hugely expensive thing but the chips themselves will probably be more of a cost in the long run but hopefully most rescues will get that back through the adoption fee although adoption fees rarely cover vaccinations/spaying/vet care etc. as it is.

When we were rehoming dogs most people only gave 50€ adoption fee. As you know by the time the dog is up to date with vacinations and checkup at the vets, flea and worm treatments etc 50 doesn't come close to meeting the cost of it but most people think 50 is alright, it is nice to get something but to meet the cost of getting the animal to the stage its at when it gets its new owners would be fairer.

"authorised implanter ” means—
    a veterinary practitioner, or
    a person belonging to such class of persons as may be prescribed;

I wonder will they insist that a vet does the microchipping or who will the "persons as may be prescribed" be.
    Will it end up like the yearly vaccines that must be bought with a vets prescription? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No people can be trained to use them so rescues will be able to do it themselves. Some rescues also vaccinate the dogs themselves.

Saying that would prefer a vet to vax esp. because the first vax usually includes a full health check and the dog is kept an eye on for a few mins afterward to ensure there's no allergic reaction. Plus if a new owner adopts and needs to put the dogs in kennels (if they are going on hols or going away etc.) months down the road only a cert. signed by a vet is usually accepted in dog kennels.

But it's not always realistic with the cost of a vet vaccinating so many rescue dogs a rescue would soon be too broke to have any other ailments treated.

Microchipping though is one thing that a registered/trained person should be able to do. But I wouldn't like to see just anyone being able to chip their dog because that would just lead to more problems as it is a lot of people don't register the chip or forget to update the chips details if they move or get a new phn. number etc.

No people can be trained to use them so rescues will be able to do it themselves. Some rescues also vaccinate the dogs themselves.

As it stands rescues will not be permitted to chip dogs. Its vets only. Other people may be "presribed" but that will be by the minister.

This cuts to the core of my thread. The devil is in the detail and of the two large boarding kennels and one rescue center I spoke with today none had read the Act or its guidelines.
    The permit may be free for some people but they dont even know they are liable for a permit and all it entails as they think the legislation is for breeding/puppie farms only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From what I recall during the discussions rescues were going to be excluded. But, as is usual with Irish law, the wording is a mess. There was a concern that a breeder might try to claim that it is a charity.

If I ran a rescue I would ignore the DBEB because I would not be running a dog breeding establishment. Yes there might be a rare chance that I could have several unuttered bitches at any one time but there would clearly be no intention to breed from them.

I would be confident that, in the very unlikely event of being prosecuted, that any judge would see things my way.

Advertisement