Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green box

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I live in Waterford city and am living in the same house for the past 18 years. There is a green box at the end of my front garden which has been there since i moved in. There are no labels or markings to indicate who owns the box..ie ESB,Eircom,Upc, etc. Recently the metal cover was vandalised and i would like to get it replaced before it's completely destroyed. It's approx 2' wide and 2.5' high. The cover is held on by 2 bolts (bottom one missing) which has a cone shaped head. Anybody know who or what service these box's provide??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

zofo69 wrote: »
    I live in Waterford city and am living in the same house for the past 18 years. There is a green box at the end of my front garden which has been there since i moved in. There are no labels or markings to indicate who owns the box..ie ESB,Eircom,Upc, etc. Recently the metal cover was vandalised and i would like to get it replaced before it's completely destroyed. It's approx 2' wide and 2.5' high. The cover is held on by 2 bolts (bottom one missing) which has a cone shaped head. Anybody know who or what service these box's provide??

Thanks in advance.
    put up a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ah I spent many a good evening hanging around on a green box back in the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

michellie wrote: »
    Ah I spent many a good evening hanging around on a green box back in the day :)

Laying on top of it on a sunny day, getting practically cooked from the heat off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

it is a green barbaque.........probably left there by a bloke with a landrover...more that 18 years ago.........do you live near the seaside.......

watch out for tunnell web spiders.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zofo69

Will put one up tomorrow. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

generally they're An Post boxes. the post for an area is sorted and put into them for the local postman to collect and deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zofo69

sam34 wrote: »
    generally they're An Post boxes. the post for an area is sorted and put into them for the local postman to collect and deliver.

Not a post box. I can see piping/cabling through the gap where the cover has been pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What does the cabling look like, coaxial/grey pvc/white cable, how thick etc
    anyone else got these boxes, I want one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

Sounds suspiciously like a water meter to me...

If the door is open then the corporation worker inside has obviously escaped and taken an early retirement package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Generally when people say "green box", its an electricity box. Contact the council op. Im sure they could point you some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Generally when people say "green box", its an electricity box. Contact the council op. Im sure they could point you some way.
    could be ESB, Eircom or NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ah jesus, j'member playing 3 goals on against the green box on warm summers nights?
    I'm almost certain summers used to be warm, for a few weeks anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The green boxes near me are all eircoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

longshanks wrote: »
    Ah jesus, j'member playing 3 goals on against the green box on warm summers nights?
    I'm almost certain summers used to be warm, for a few weeks anyway.

Yea I remember them being warm too, we were never inside always out on the street, at the green box or "the red wall" haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Stick your hand in the box,if you get electrocuted it's ESB,if not it's either NTL or An Post.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

its proabaly just a normal box with a yeast infection

Advertisement