Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License timeframe

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm geting a .223 rifle. Would you know when i might get the licence for it. It's been the first week and cant wait to get it:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A week is early days yet, you could be waiting 3 months on it. Have patience:P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

it's really up to your local FO and super. they can take up to three months if they so choose. i've been lucky as to have gotten the grant letter within a week of application for all three of my licenses. which i was especially surprised at because my latest license was for a .223 with a moderator and an increase in the amount of ammo i could possess. and considering i already had a hornet i wasn't sure they'd allow me to get a .223 to begin with. this time though the FO did call to check the gunsafe, which was a first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Don't be waiting and watching the letter box. It took from 4 weeks to 7 months for my licenses to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Clinty

How long should a substitution take from a 17 hmr to a 22 Lr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In the guidelines - 14 days.

In reality - Whenever your FO & Super sign off on it.

A poor answer, but there is no consistent time frame among districts.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Clinty

Ok think it's time to give them a call this is week ten any suggestions on what to say to them in a nice way to push it on would I be better off goon straight to the super or jus talkin to the fo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

over 3 months and many trips forward and back to the station Im still waiting for a sub (.22lr to a .22lr) to arrive !

over 3 months and many trips forward and back to the station Im still waiting for a sub (.22lr to a .22lr) to arrive !

that's a joke, have they given any particular reason for the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

My First .223 licance took 6 weeks,
    i would see the FO around town and he would not look at me, i tought it was odd
    i found out he had forgot to send the applacation on ,
    when he did it took 3 weeks

we had a laugh about it after

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

the fastest i had was 5 working days and the slowest was 9 months :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

cushcam wrote: »
    that's a joke, have they given any particular reason for the delay?

well the local station is only "part time " 8am-11am and 5pm-8pm every day. Ive been told the following,

- "We are a part time station, processing gun licenses is not our main priority"

got a phone call from the super's secretary a week after I submitted the substitution info and she said.
    -"Theres a problem with your application, you submitted a letter saying you wanted to fit a silencer to your rifle? Well its nothing personal about your application but there is a new rule in Co.Meath that you can no longer use a silencer on farmland. You can only use it at a firing range".

Then I got another phone call a week later,
    -"you filled this form in completely wrong and you have wasted a lot of our time. We need you to come down and fill it out again". so that I did. (I'd just like to mention I didnt fill out all the form, I was "helped" fill it out by a Gaurd at the station... so he made the balls up not me...

So a few more weeks pass by. Another phone call
    -" I just got this application returned to me here I need you to come down and sign a part yoy forgot to sign" So that I did :p

The last phone call I got which was last week.
    -"is this a new license you are applying for or a substitution?" the Gaurd asked with a confused tone of voice..."just a plain and simple substitution" I replied.

She said I'll have it in a few days :rolleyes:

Just looked out the window, nevermind the phrase "when pigs fly". Theres a wild boar with a muntjac on his back flying over the moon :eek:

it just seems to be a complete lottery as to whether someones local station is efficient at dealing with firearms applications or not. luck of the draw i guess, and i'm just glad i got lucky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

Clinty wrote: »
    Ok think it's time to give them a call this is week ten any suggestions on what to say to them in a nice way to push it on would I be better off goon straight to the super or jus talkin to the fo

i would take it handy for another week or two as the super is intitled to have 12 weeks to make a descision. at this stage you could be nearly 100% that the FO has everything done and is only waitin for the super to sign off on it

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

thanks so much about the info.the super knows me well.i had to for a test with my 270 rifle .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

:D put my app in on a Thursday,gards at the house on a tues licence recieved on a Friday :) rifle picked up on a sat . 4 foxes shot on a Sunday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Spunk84 wrote: »
    :D put my app in on a Thursday,gards at the house on a tues licence recieved on a Friday :) rifle picked up on a sat . 4 foxes shot on a Sunday lol

This goes to show the differences between applications placed in different districts.

A centralised system would be far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

week two hopefally it will come:D:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

after 2 weeks got mine, big change since my 3 month wait for the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

A fortnight is about the height of it at this time of year. I waited 12 days for my 243 licence 2 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

5 weeks for my first ever licence November '11
    1 week for my second licence.
    2 and a half weeks for my third. Actually arrived two days ago, was sweating that it wouldnt arrive.

Local FO here is very good in fairness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

when i got my grant notice today it had the rounds in that box that is usually empty, has anyone seen this before? its a first for me, had to ring the firearm policy unit to find out before the licence arrived

Advertisement