Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About the word "Jesus" ?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I received this
    The name of “Jesus” did not exist before the 17th century, the letter ‘J’ was added by the Church.

Christians and others assume that the Greek name Jesus was the original name of the Saviour. This was impossible. The name Jesus did not exist, and would not have been spelled with the letter ► J, until about six hundred years ago. There was no J in any language prior to the fourteenth century in England. The letter did not become widely used until the seventeenth century. The Encyclopedia Americana contains the following on the letter J: “The form of J was unknown in any alphabet until the 14th century. Either symbol J or I used initially generally had to be the sound of Y as in year.

Gradually the two symbols of J and I were differentiated, the J usually acquiring consonantal force and thus becoming regarded as a consonant, and the I becoming a vowel. It was not until 1630 that the differentiations became accepted in England. In the 1611 King James Version of the Bible, ► there was no J letter because it did not exist. James was spelled Iames and Jesus was spelled Iesous. In the ancient Latin and Greek languages, Jesus was spelled with the letter I. (Tom Harper, The Pagan Christ, p. 219)

Jesus is translated
    ► Eshoo in Aramaic and
    ► Isa in Arabic, and
    ► IESUS in the Gospel of the Nazorenes.

and want to know what do you think about it? Is that name a relatively new one ? and what's Nazorenes Gospel ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

whydoc wrote: »
    I received this
    and want to know what do you think about it? Is that name a relatively new one ?

I think you've stumbled upon something the Jllumjnatj doesn't want you to know :pac:. In using a J it is, but then again the name hasn't really changed, the sign on the cross as you'll see in a lot of churches is INRI, Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum..... Iesus/Jesus. It's just a linguistic difference. Similarly in German the word for yes is Ja, and pronounced 'yah'.. not Ja as in Ja Rule. It isn't a new name, just an interpretation of the old name in modern alphabet.

That's what happens when you try to spell names from one alphabet to another. You have to approximate. There are many ways to spell things, take the late Colonel Gadaffi... when his name was being reproduced in newspapers I saw Gadaffi, Khaddafi, Qadafi... take the Islamic holy book, you could have the Koran, or the Qu'ran... same thing but two accepted ways of spelling the name in our alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I like jalapenos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jesus comes from Yeshua which could be more accurately rendered in English as Joshua. Since we've inherited it from Greek and then Latin, it is rendered Jesus. Yeshua or Yehoshua means God saves.
    She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

That's precisely what Jesus did, by dying in our place for our sins even though we are the ones who deserve to be condemned. God came into the world to rescue us from our sins. Hence Emmanuel, God with us. (Matthew 1:23)

There's no other name like Jesus on the face of the earth, it is the name above all names to which every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord.
    Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

As Indiana Jones discovered in an alarming way in the Last Crusade, in Latin, Jehovah starts with an I! So nothing to see here, and no cover up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

whydoc wrote: »
    I received this
    and want to know what do you think about it? Is that name a relatively new one ? and what's Nazorenes Gospel ?

I gather that people who read the Pagan Christ or watch the Zeitgeist: The Movie get exactly what they want, even if it's gussied up irrelevancies, half-truths or outright lies. This is about as monumental claim as informing us that the Spanish don't call their country Spain [** dramatic pause **] they call it España.

Also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_the_Nazarenes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I thought it was actually common knowledge his name wouldn't of been Jesus o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Hey-zeus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_language

It is generally believed that in the 1st century CE, Jews in Judaea primarily spoke Aramaic with a dwindling number using Hebrew as a native language. Many learned Hebrew as a liturgical language. Additionally, Koine Greek was an international language of the Roman administration and trade, and was widely understood by those in the urban spheres of influence. Latin was spoken in the Roman army but had almost no impact on the linguistic landscape.
    The 3rd century CE is taken as the threshold between Old and Middle Aramaic. During that century, the nature of the various Aramaic languages and dialects begins to change. The descendants of Imperial Aramaic ceased to be living languages, and the eastern and western regional languages began to form vital, new literatures.
    Only two of the Old Eastern Aramaic languages continued into this period. In the north of the region, Old Syriac moved into Middle Syriac. In the south, Jewish Old Babylonian became Jewish Middle Babylonian. The post-Achaemenid, Arsacid dialect became the background of the new Mandaic language.
    The language of Western-Aramaic-speaking Christians is evidenced from the 6th century, but probably existed two centuries earlier. The language itself comes from Christian Old Palestinian, but its writing conventions were based on early Middle Syriac, and it was heavily influenced by Greek. For example, the name Jesus, although Yešû` in Aramaic, is written Yesûs in Christian Palestinian.

Advertisement