Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started.

• 23-04-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hey all I sent this message over on the VCRAI forum but I think itll get more traffic over here so Ill just copy and paste it :

To whom it may concern,

Good morning I'm interested in getting started in target shooting and your club has taken my interest I have researched the firearms licensing requirements but there where a few grey areas so I have a few questions I would like to ask if you could help me out ,

From a garda point of view do you think the following would affect my application:
    1. I live in an apartment in a slighty rough area so I'm wondering if they would see that as a security issue (taking into account gun safes etc.)
    2. Im 19 years old so the hopped up computer game addict stereotype may come to their mind.
    3. considering my age would they consider the larger calibre rifles unsuitable for a first gun.
    4.Would they consider a vintage rifle unsuitable to be called a target rifle.
    5. I don't have a driver's licence, my understanding is that their are no formal laws concerning transport of firearms other than common sense.

And a few questions about your club.
    1. Do you have a designated range ?
    2. where are you located ?
    and
    3. If not near Dublin do you know of any clubs that are? (many have defunct websites)

If you feel that the above wouldn't harm my application I would love to visit your club to discuss it further if that would be possible .

Cheers,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'll try and answer some of your queries.

1. Security Issue. The fact that you live in an apartment in a "dodgy area" shouldn't preclude you from firearm ownership. The Super might decide though that a standard gunsafe mightn't be enough in your area. It is slightly possible that he might require you to have better security than the minimum requirements that most people have (eg. monitored alarm etc). This security decision is up to the Super.

2. Age Concern. You are old enough to legally apply for a firearm cert so age shouldn't be an issue.

3. You can apply for any caliber you like (legally allowable that is). However, I do think it is best to start off with a .22lr. Most of us learned to shoot with this caliber before we moved on to higher powered centrefire rifles etc.

4. A vintage rifle is totally acceptable for target shooting. There are competitions specifically for vintage rifles, and you can use vintage rifles in regular competitions too.

5. Drivers licence. As far as I am aware, you can't take a firearm onto public transport. But if you had a mate/club member that could drive you to and from the range, competitions etc, then you would be fine.

Some of the other guys on here can help you more with the clubs around Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey Fozzy.

I'm not a member of the VCRAI, and there are those with a far greater knowledge base than i about the firearms they use, but adding to Battlecorp's response, i can help answer some of your queries as they are general firearm ones rather than specific to the VCRAI.
    Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    1. I live in an apartment in a slighty rough area so I'm wondering if they would see that as a security issue (taking into account gun safes etc.)
    Your area will have a bearing on security, but hopefully only to the point that the Super may impose a higher standard for your home security than say someone in a low crime area. It really is up to his decretion.
    2. Im 19 years old so the hopped up computer game addict stereotype may come to their mind.
    It might, but each application is based on it's own merits, and the character of the person applying. So once you come across as a level headed, responsible young man then it will not be a problem. Remember there are people shooting younger than you.
    3. considering my age would they consider the larger calibre rifles unsuitable for a first gun.
    If the firearm you "need" is off a certain caliber, and that caliber/firearm is needed for the choosen sport then this would satisfy both good reason for wanting it, and negate the age issue. For example a chap of 19 looking to get into long range shooting (FTR) would need to go for either a (.223 or) .308 so if the Super told him you cannot have anything over a .22lr then it's pointless. IOW if the needs suit the caliber should be a secondary issue.
    4.Would they consider a vintage rifle unsuitable to be called a target rifle.
    Absolutely. Vintage rifle shooting is a very popular sport in Ireland with (possibly) hundreds of competitive, and plinking shooters taking part. So yes a very valid reason for wanting it.
    5. I don't have a driver's licence, my understanding is that their are no formal laws concerning transport of firearms other than common sense.
    Unfortunately the firearms laws in Ireland are not only very hard to understand but consist of 18 acts, 60+ SI', and 2 EU directives. Meaning laws surrounding firearms can cross over into other departments. So to answer your question i believe the 1965 road traffic act prohibits the transport of firearms on any public transport. I'll check that for you later, and confirm, but if i'm right that rules out buses, trains, etc.

However that does not prevent you taking part. Many shooters operate a "pooling" system whereby one lad drives, and others get a lift. I believ there are a good number of vintage rifle shooters all across the country so it may be possible for you to organise a lift when you wish to travel.

Here are where my answer may need confirming or correction depending on the accuracy of my replies.
    1. Do you have a designated range ?
    The VCRAI is an organisation, and not an actual range. So they hold events in various locations with An Roicht being the primary range they use.
    2. where are you located ?
    There is a user here, Sikamick, who is the chairperson for the VCRAI. I would suggest dropping him a PM for more specific details. Perhaps he will even be along here to answer.
    3. If not near Dublin do you know of any clubs that are? (many have defunct websites)
    I will not try an answer that as i do not know specifics on the clubs affiliated to the VCRAI. However as the rifles they use are fullbore, and with less than a handfull of fullbore certified ranges in the country the pickings would be slim.
    If you feel that the above wouldn't harm my application I would love to visit your club to discuss it further if that would be possible .

Cheers,
    D
    That is most definitely a question that needs a response from a VCRAI member, and not me.

Hope some of that helps.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Thanks a lot you two , ok now that thats cleared up a few more questions:

1.when joining a club does that mean with a range included or could the VCRAI count aswell ?

2.Do I have to buy a gunsafe before Im even sure If I'll be granted a licence or not ?

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    1.when joining a club does that mean with a range included or could the VCRAI count aswell ?
    To get a firearm you have two reasons. Target shooting or hunting. Your choice is target shooting so in order to show good reason you need to be a member of an authorised range that is certified for higher caliber centrefire rifles.

Much like other sports, and other organisations, membership of an organisation is not good reason (by itself) unless of course that organisation runs their own range. In most cases (all i think) this is not the case, and every organisation has one range they use as a "central" point for comps., and such. Other ranges then affiliate to that organisation, and comps are then held on these ranges.

So first and foremost membership of a range will be necessary. Best idea is to join an appropriate range that is affiliated to the VCRAI if this is the type of sport you wish to pursue. Then you may join the VCRAI.
    2.Do I have to buy a gunsafe before Im even sure If I'll be granted a licence or not ?
    On the FCA1 there is a section that requires a tick to say you comply with the security measures required to own/possess a firearm. Therefore you should have all the necessary security in place before ticking the box or submitting your application. To tick the box, and not have such security in place could be viewed as a fraudulent application, and refused.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

OK thats grand , so any ranges near Dublin that would accomodate a .303 I know of a few .22 ranges

• Advertisement

AFAIK there are no centrefire rated ranges in Dublin. The nearest i can think off is the midlands (MNSCI) in Tullamore, and after that An Roicht in Kerry.

There may be one nearer, but centrefire ranges need a lot more safety features, and with the release of the Range SI (622/2011) in December of last year there are new rules regarding what firearms can be used on what ranges which have made some ranges "uncertified" for fullbores.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Fozzy
    I'm in the same situation as yourself, I'm based in Meath and I'm 24, I'm interested in the vintage shooting myself, would love to get my hands on a LE Mk3.. *Drools* let me know if your application goes ahead and if its successful..
    :D

Advertisement