Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitions (READ POST 1 FIRST!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gormal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

In two minds whether to post this but...Not including the Facebook and Twitter ones, I went at Comps over a 4 week period in May/June, took a few days to figure out a speedy system to enter as fast as possible and more so how to find them but I reckon I entered around about 450-550 a week. So around 2000 anyway.

The majority of them would have winners picked now and I've won..............................Nothing.

I don't use Facebook/Twitter but I emailed the better comps using those platforms to someone to enter - so a few hundred more comps here aswell.

Waste of time these things. And it's alot of time to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I enter a few a day and have been for a few months and I've won 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JosephDoyleIre

In two minds whether to post this but...Not including the Facebook and Twitter ones, I went at Comps over a 4 week period in May/June, took a few days to figure out a speedy system to enter as fast as possible and more so how to find them but I reckon I entered around about 450-550 a week. So around 2000 anyway.

The majority of them would have winners picked now and I've won..............................Nothing.

I don't use Facebook/Twitter but I emailed the better comps using those platforms to someone to enter - so a few hundred more comps here aswell.

Waste of time these things. And it's alot of time to.

Out of interest, could you elaborate on your "speedy system to enter as fast as possible and more so how to find them" - reason being I wonder if some of the competitions block what they deem to be automated entries (may have been why you never won?) Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

I enter a few a day and have been for a few months and I've won 6.

I go through phases sometimes, but i have won quite a few times too. Even if it's only something small, it still gives me a thrill.

I might win 3 a month but only enter like 5 a day I think, just lucky. Nothing big, but got a lot of things I need and some extra treats for us.
    To be honest I don't know how you can enter so many, reading the T&Cs is time consuming. Plus your Karma is broken for not sharing them with us ;)

Win two €50 One4all Gift Cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

• Advertisement

Win a trip on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express and two nights in the Belmond Hotel Cipriani, need to collect fifteen differently numbered tokens that will appear daily in The Irish Times over the next three weeks. The entry form and two tokens are published in The Irish Times Magazine today (Saturday, July 11th).

Win a 10-night cruise for two from Southampton to Miami

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Daddydaycare1

It's tedious to win competitions alright - but I agree that Tombstone must be doing something wrong..
    I save myself a lot of legwork by strictly ignoring competitions which don't have ".ie" web addresses or an Irish postal address mentioned in the T&Cs. I try to do slogan competitions mainly but they're few and far between these days so I mainly enter draws nowadays and I have limited success.
    I also ignore Facebook and Twitter popularity contests which require likes or retweets.
    Any competition "open to UK and Ireland" or with a ".co.uk" address isn't really going to award a prize (a Mediterranean or US holiday, for example) to an Ireland resident, are they? I mean, realistically, why would they go through the hassle of arranging an extra flight from Dublin Airport connecting to London when it's such less hassle for the judges to give it to a British person and just fly out of London? I'm not saying what they're doing is right (I find it as frustrating as the next person) but that's what goes on in the real world (despite what it says in the T&Cs, which are never binding, by the way).
    Similarly, shipping of a prize to Ireland from London is too much hassle for a judge when they could simply ship the prize cheaply to an English person. Judges are lazy (like the rest of us!) and they will choose the path of least resistance if they need to pick a winner quickly.

Here's a decent competition (if someone hasn't posted it already).
    irishtimes.com/life-and-style/generation-emigration/the-irish-times-flying-visit

Out of interest, could you elaborate on your "speedy system to enter as fast as possible and more so how to find them" - reason being I wonder if some of the competitions block what they deem to be automated entries (may have been why you never won?) Just a thought
    https://lastpass.com/

Use that to keep track of passwords/automatic login to Sites that run comps, it also has a Form Filler. So not "automated" but set it up right and you've logged in and entered in seconds really.

Their's sites that list competitions but they miss Loads, I was using Google Advanced Search to find Comps, then I got really clever with Search and had my own big long search query wrote out that I kept messing with to really go to town filtering what I wanted-->http://mashable.com/2011/11/24/google-search-infographic/ --->http://www.googleguide.com/

0ac922b6
    It's tedious to win competitions alright - but I agree that Tombstone must be doing something wrong..
    I save myself a lot of legwork by strictly ignoring competitions which don't have ".ie" web addresses or an Irish postal address mentioned in the T&Cs. I try to do slogan competitions mainly but they're few and far between these days so I mainly enter draws nowadays and I have limited success.
    I also ignore Facebook and Twitter popularity contests which require likes or retweets.
    Any competition "open to UK and Ireland" or with a ".co.uk" address isn't really going to award a prize (a Mediterranean or US holiday, for example) to an Ireland resident, are they? I mean, realistically, why would they go through the hassle of arranging an extra flight from Dublin Airport connecting to London when it's such less hassle for the judges to give it to a British person and just fly out of London? I'm not saying what they're doing is right (I find it as frustrating as the next person) but that's what goes on in the real world (despite what it says in the T&Cs, which are never binding, by the way).
    Similarly, shipping of a prize to Ireland from London is too much hassle for a judge when they could simply ship the prize cheaply to an English person. Judges are lazy (like the rest of us!) and they will choose the path of least resistance if they need to pick a winner quickly.

Here's a decent competition (if someone hasn't posted it already).
    irishtimes.com/life-and-style/generation-emigration/the-irish-times-flying-visit

Theirs not that many Comps in Ireland really. I entered lots of UK comps and used Parcel Motel as my address, as long as the terms don't say "UK Mainland Only" then that should be grand I think. It costs them nothing extra to post to there.

Holiday Comps you mention, they'll say in the T&Cs that they won't pay to get you to the Airport so they don't care who wins really. Assuming they're not giving it their best friend.

Facebook/Twitter Comps are a Con, cheap advertising is all they want. No doubt someone is gonna say they won one but I'd bet all my winnings:pac: that thats a huge rarity.

I also like you said, looked especially for the Comps that made you work for it, slogans, tiebreakers, puzzles, I stopped at writing short stories though.:D

Here's one for ya with a bit of photography/Sculpting from Waterways Ireland.

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/News-Details.aspx?news-id=115

I'm done with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Cal04

have to admit, I've won a few bits with fb comps.

Gormal wrote: »
    I might win 3 a month but only enter like 5 a day I think, just lucky. Nothing big, but got a lot of things I need and some extra treats for us.
    To be honest I don't know how you can enter so many, reading the T&Cs is time consuming. Plus your Karma is broken for not sharing them with us ;)

Win two €50 One4all Gift Cards
    Ah:(, I was putting up a good few their for awhile but only like 2 or 3 thanked any post despite this Thread getting something like 1500 views per post-->I checked out in the main Forum outta curiosity a couple of times. Something wrong there. I started using a different site.

Your post there is one of your most thanked in here in a good while because of the Karma line....it's thanked but not a post where you put up 15 comps :confused:

Edit: Putting to much thought into "Thanks" there but community spirit and all that. Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

£250 worth of bushcraft gear (facebook like required)

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/competition.htm

I've won a fair bit on FB (hate L&S ones, but some have Questions to answer, rhymes etc), a few on twitter (it's about interaction) and some accidentally, A few on blogs, one on Pinterest (not looked into the comping side of that platform).

I have a search sytem, but nothing in relation to entering....... too lazy or chilled out for that, as it can be everwhelming and you can get OCD (Obsessive Comping Disorder).

Chances of wining a UK based one is slim but not impossible, I just enter the worthwhile ones. I've unliked quite a few 'Brands' on FB who sell here but won't let you enter a comp. Plus Prizefinder has gone to the dogs, you can't rely on comps stated as open to Eire anymore, think the listers are getting ff-ing lazy.

I agree with you Tombstone, there are a lot of leechers here, who don't contribute in any way. It is nice to get thanked once in a while as it lets you know people are still interested, plus it's nice to feel appreciated ;) I don't think my post got likes for the Karma thing (which I said in jest) but more because the regulars are glad I actually have some wins.

Win Trollbeads and Guylian

PS that Bushcraft one, you can enter without FB is you sign up for the newsletter "Those who are signed up to our newsletter are permitted to enter the competition without the need for a 'Like'."

I forgot to put this one up earlier The Great Alpecin Competition daily entry so probably no chance to win......lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I think with Facebook and Twitter, a lot of companies run competitions, radio stations, newspapers, big shops etc. and yes they are about marketing but they are also genuine competitions. I won concert tickets with a radio station on Twitter 2 weeks ago. I think UK based competitions are much harder to win because they have a lot more people entering. I also find that it's much easier to win radio competitions, particularly your local radio station as opposed to the countrywide ones, most of what I win is on the radio. It's hard to post those up because you really need to listen in but I know that this week Spin 103.8 will be giving away tablets, Longitude tickets and Xbox Ones so it's worth sticking on.

Also, thanks to everyone here who contributes! I really appreciate you all and I'll try to start contributing more, you guys always seem to have beaten me to it when I come on to post something!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Facebook - Ford Ireland
    **COMPETITION** - WIN the drive of a lifetime in the New Ford Mustang.
    Celebrating the launch of the New Ford Mustang in Ireland, we are offering one winner (plus a friend) the chance to drive a New Ford Mustang on a two-week guided US motor tour across some of America’s most iconic routes this September. Who is your ideal drive partner? A Hollywood star? A sporting hero? A rock legend? A secret agent? Or somebody closer to home?
    TO ENTER: Simply complete the phrase "I would like to drive the New Ford Mustang across America with... " (write your answer in the comments)
    Click here for terms and conditions: http://ford.to/1HasD0k

(I did win tickets for a soccer match once with Ford Ireland through their facebook page)

Win a weekend break in the heart of the Golden Vale

‎WIN‬ Lego Toys & Kids Books with ‪Primarytimes‬

Win a €200 Amazon gift card! Photo comp on Being young in Europe and in the world today

win a €100 SuperValu shopping voucher! FB comment on post

Capture ‘culture’ on camera – Win a luxury weekend away

New ones up on Image €500 Worth of boohoo Goodies!, Benefit’s New They’re Real! Mascara & Push Up Liner Collection & HTC one M9

WIN A PAIR OF FREDDY JEANS

Win the new Lindemann album

The RTE comps

Win CHAPPIE on DVD

Win ‘The Pippa Palette’

Win a once in a lifetime experience. with Clonmel Busking Festival 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 19 D.I.Y.Diva!!

Win an Annual Family Pass to Dublin Zoo with Lidl News - Email your answer Phoenix Park with subject Zoo to advertising.competitions@ lidl.ie no later than 31st July.

Check out their website for T&Cs

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Cal04

what really puts me off of fb comps is the amount of cheating going on...shocking.

holidayguru.ie/new-york-week-competition/

VIP trip to NYC plus €1,000 spending money.
    Definitely open to Ireland. Not sure what other countries you're up against though as it doesn't mention it in T&Cs.
    Closes July 18th

• Advertisement

luxurybreaks.ie/uncategorized/win-a-one-night-luxury-break-at-the-5-star-g-hotel-spa-galway/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement