Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bogballe Gearbox repair

• 23-04-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Howdy,
    ina a bit of trouble with my bogballe spreader. Anyone have any experience with a bogballe gearbox? The selector between forward and reverse spreading is letting the gearbox slip. I am wondering what is the correct position for the selector and its spring?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 rocky bilboa

If its the older type bogballe, the slip clutch on pto might be ceased which in turn will cause the main shaft going into grarbox to strain from the initial stresses of pto starting off. There is a collar on this shaft that slides back and forth on a keyway which is part of changeover mechanism, and because of strain in shaft is not sliding properly and is catching inbetween changeover. quick solution is to open top of gearbox and tap collar into place and not use changeover again until you change shaft. Either way cleaning slip clutch is a must as next thing to go will be roll pins in gearbox under discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irishmale

Its the newer type. The shaft in the gearbox broke and got that sorted I thought. Worked fine for a few hours and then stopped. It just would not stay in gear. The collar keeps sliding out, I think because I do not have the selector in position correctly allowing the collar to slip out of gear. I am curious as to what position the selector spring should be to keep pressure on the collar. I just cant get it to keep tight.

I think the slip clutch must be shagged causing the shaft to go in the first place. Ill order a new one in the am anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irishmale

What I have learned for anyone else in this situation,

the gearbox covers must be spotless when being put back together and its a hard job to clean off all the glue.
    the gearbox takes 750 grammes of grease. use a soft grease. MP grease is too thick.
    the gearbox must be level so try avoid taking the box off altogether, just try open the top.
    use locktight on the rear allen screw and make sure its VERY tightly screwed.
    The gear selector spring must be sprung back onto itself and then replaced onto its lever with the small metal piece sliding into the overlapped spring. this is hard to do and be careful when replacing the cover that it does not fall back off again.
    check the pto shaft and make sure its very free because it can cause small vibrations which can do damage.
    keep the slipclutch loose. it should turn a couple of times before engaging.
    Try not to break it in the first place as its a nightmare to fix.

Advertisement