Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do the full time officers expect you to do?

• 23-04-2012 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Just wondering if you were the third person in a car and with limited powers, what do the full timers expect you to do to assist in a situation and also want don't they want you to do? (that they may think you are hindering them)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

hayzer wrote: »
    Just wondering if you were the third person in a car and with limited powers, what do the full timers expect you to do to assist in a situation and also want don't they want you to do? (that they may think you are hindering them)

The bible guidelines of you have two eyes two ears and one mouth and use them in that order spring to mind, follow this and you can't go too wrong. I believe it depends on the culture of the reserve in the station you're in and how you are perceived in your own unit. I've been both an observer and 3rd person in a car / jeep and part of a crew in response van. With most of those Ive been with if there's any kind of public order incident occurring I don't wait to be asked and jump out being ready to lend a hand if necessary. Ive been with the unit for 2 years now so know when Im with a particular crew that they have no issue with me jumping out and being an extra body, to prevent something escalating by being a presence if nothing else. If it kicks off get stuck in and help with the arrest if it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Spartan09 wrote: »
    The bible guidelines of you have two eyes two ears and one mouth and use them in that order spring to mind, follow this and you can't go too wrong. I believe it depends on the culture of the reserve in the station you're in and how you are perceived in your own unit. I've been both an observer and 3rd person in a car / jeep and part of a crew in response van. With most of those Ive been with if there's any kind of public order incident occurring I don't wait to be asked and jump out being ready to lend a hand if necessary. Ive been with the unit for 2 years now so know when Im with a particular crew that they have no issue with me jumping out and being an extra body, to prevent something escalating by being a presence if nothing else. If it kicks off get stuck in and help with the arrest if it comes to it.

It makes a big difference when three people jump out a squad car rather than two. Things are less likley to happen. Make sure you jump in to help with arrests. It will put the lads on the unit at ease, that your willing to get stuck in. Over time it will become natural to you and the lads will respect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

your only there to make the tae :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

WilcoOut wrote: »
    your only there to make the tae :D

And bring the biscuits in as well dont forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

I'm good at the ole tea making! I should fit right in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

hayzer wrote: »
    I'm good at the ole tea making! I should fit right in

jesus dont let the GRA hear ya say that!

Advertisement