Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Maths?

• 23-04-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I am doing honours Maths but am worried about failing it. I plan on doing Computer Science in DIT or Computing in NCI as a second choice.

I was wondering, if I fail Maths is there any other options that will get me into these courses? Its annoying that failing one exam would stop me from going to college altogether

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

UL is the only university I know that offers a "make up test" for Maths... could be wrong now but that's what I remember from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I was wondering, if I fail Maths is there any other options that will get me into these courses? Its annoying that failing one exam would stop me from going to college altogether

Just wanted to say that I hear computer science is maths heavy. DIT take ordinary level maths though I think, if you think you'll fail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If failing maths is even crossing your mind, you need to seriously consider if Comp Sci is a good choice. Its maths is way harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

bscm wrote: »
    UL is the only university I know that offers a "make up test" for Maths... could be wrong now but that's what I remember from last year
    There are other colleges certainly, and it's becoming more common.

I'm 95% sure DIT offer one for Engineering applicants, but whether they offer a more general one for other courses I don't know.

OP, you could pop them an email at admissions@dit.ie or ring them at 01 402 3445

Now would be a good time to check, both because you will be clearer on your own options but also because at this time of year the Admissions Offices, while busy, aren't as frenetic as they will be later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Chuchoter wrote: »
    If failing maths is even crossing your mind, you need to seriously consider if Comp Sci is a good choice. Its maths is way harder

The thing is though that I am confident I would definately have passed if I had of put the work in from the start. I got 40% in my mocks but if I get unlucky on the paper I may fail it so it is kind of down to chance

Cheers for the replies fellas:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Just out of interest was the "project maths" thing introduced this year?

Anyways my advice would be just make sure you don't fail and then you won't have to worry about it.

I know when i did my a leaving a few years ago i was no great shakes at maths but i did as many exam questions as i possibly could as study and eventually theres not much else they can ask so id advise you to just hit them hard! (without neglecting other subjects ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

You need to sit down and ask yourself some tough questions if you are in danger of failing a subject that is crucial for this course. When you say you are confident that you are good at the subject, how do you know? What is going to change next year that is going to make you suddenly improve in a subject when you will no longer have the support services that you have had in secondary school?

The reality is that next year you are likely to be in very large lecture halls, with little or no options for discussion or questions with maybe one hour a week of a tutorial for 5+ hours worth of topics. Will you be able to cope? Are you going to be able to apply yourself in a subject which you seem to have lacked motivation in for the last few years? There will be no extra classes after school by teachers and it will be primarily self directed learning.

If you have answered all of these honestly and still consider computer science to be your choice then you have to start working hard now

1. If as you say you have aptitude in this subject then start practising exam papers every single day between now and June. Concentrate on solidifying paper 1 first as it has not changed yet. Then move to the project maths

2. Be prepared to work at maths over the summer. You need to catch up, regardless of result. Even if you get enough of the concepts to ge through the LC you will not be up to scratch for your course without extra work.

And on the positive side check if you can get onto these courses with pass maths then drop and take the pass paper. Do not put yourself in danger of not meeting the course requirements by sitting a level that is not required. My husband got a first in computer science in maynooth having got a B in pass maths. It can be done but the motivation has to be yours

Advertisement