Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media centre PC - 700-850

Options
  • 23-04-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'd like to customise a PC, prefferably not build it though (mods feel free to move the thread if necessary).

The purpose of the PC is going to be mainly a media centre, hooked up to my HD tv. I'd like to do video editing on it, the odd game here and there, but mainly a decent enough spec for audio and video.

My budget is between 700-850 region.

I'd like a writeable blu ray drive, a very decent video card to run on a 40 inch, an optical sound output slot, wifi connection, multi card reader, SSD drive, Intel i5 if its justifiable and Windows 7.

It would be nice to have the PC quite for when I am watching films etc.

I'm open to any changes, upgrades/downgrades that people might suggest. I used to know enough to make a go at building my own PC, however my level of knowledge has dropped considerably so I'm happy to get hardwerersand to build it for me.

Appreciate the help guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

Fill this out so people can help you better.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

For that money u could get a great gaming pc as well as doing a/v editing and htpc. Mine all in plus a 23" monitor was €870. Fill out that form anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

Oh sorry about the lack of form filling! This is very organised and bureacratic!

1. What is your budget? 700-850

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Media centre + video editing + a few games, sure since its there like...

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope, but I would intend on upgrading in years to come.

5. Do you need a monitor? Nope, have a 40in Sony HD tv in the sitting room

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1080i (i think, new sony tv) and No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? reader card, not a peripherl but a SDD would be nice as would be blu ray writer, optical sound output, wifi & firewire. Also my intention would be to have it sitting flat in the stand under the TV so a case which is suited to that would be ideal.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? credit card

9. When are you purchasing? Im relaxed...

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I'd prefer to have it built for me, but Dublin.

cheers guys

Sorry to bump, but any ideas guys?

cheers

Item|Price
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€267.75
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€65.76
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€52.96
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.12
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€74.54
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP|€145.54
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€839.92

You'll want to d/l a Win7 ISO image and burn it onto a disc, then use the key that comes with the german one. Install it onto the SSD.
    The 6870 will be enough for most games you might play.
    I recommend an unlocked processor should you ever feel you need faster rendering you can easily OC it to 4ghz on the stock cooler.

• Advertisement

This is fantastic luyolo

I really appreciate your help. Its always good to get someone elses opinion

Cheers

No problem I think I missed one thing in your build.
    Add this to your basket http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30074&agid=1627.

If you need to reduce the price you could get this instead of the 6870 http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=56222&agid=1004

Advertisement