Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence renewal

Options
  • 23-04-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

my gun licence is up in September this year and with hearing the varying times to get one granted would i be able to apply for the renewal now or must i wait till closer the time?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do not leave it any later than 3 months before the EXPIRY of your license. As this is the "maximum" time to process a license you need to have your applications in 3 months before your current ones lapse.

I too am in the same boat, and if i do not receive any sort of re-application notice i intend to apply come June. Thats only 2 months away.:eek:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Ezridax wrote: »
    Do not leave it any later than 3 months before the EXPIRY of your license. As this is the "maximum" time to process a license you need to have your applications in 3 months before your current ones lapse.

I too am in the same boat, and if i do not receive any sort of re-application notice i intend to apply come June. Thats only 2 months away.:eek:

do they send out a re-application notice? also if i apply in a months time and it gets granted in 2-3 weeks does it start from then or from September when my one expires.

Conchurl wrote: »
    do they send out a re-application notice?
    No idea. Might actually make a few calls and find out tomorrow.
    also if i apply in a months time and it gets granted in 2-3 weeks does it start from then or from September when my one expires.
    It works from the point the new licenses are issued. Hence my reason for waiting until as close to the 3 month limit as possible to see what transpires between now and re-application time.

If i get any word tomorrow i'll post here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

No idea. Might actually make a few calls and find out tomorrow.

It works from the point the new licenses are issued. Hence my reason for waiting until as close to the 3 month limit as possible to see what transpires between now and re-application time.

If i get any word tomorrow i'll post here.

ok thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr.Woodcock

Deccided to take this problem into my own hands, my license is up in October, and decided to change the gun, just makin sure I've all the money before hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

So then can you apply within 3 months, and if granted within the first month hold off on paying in the post office for 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

The state doesn't notify us when our car tax or tv licences are up for renewal so I dont think well receive a notification for renewal of firearms licences. Some supers may do it locally but I can't see it being done nationally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

ssl wrote: »
    The state doesn't notify us when our car tax or tv licences are up for renewal so I dont think well receive a notification for renewal of firearms licences. Some supers may do it locally but I can't see it being done nationally

Funny I get a car tax reminded every year, sometimes more, generally arrives a month before my car tax runs out.:D
    I also get a tv license reminder.

My big problem is the lettering on my license is gone so I am not sure when the license runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Think mine is up in November, I'll be applying three months before that too, just to be on the safe side.

Met the local Garda yesterday and mentioned that it was renewal year :D "Oh yeah, we've nothing to do with the money now, what about the lad we have to chase every year for the licence?!"

"Ye'll still be chasing, it'll just be volunteer work" :pac:

That reminds me. The "Sights" tick box. Anyone have official word that's for NV sights? If not I will ring them today, if it's for NV I will tick it this year.

ssl wrote: »
    The state doesn't notify us when our car tax or tv licences are up for renewal.......
    Yes you do. One month before it's due. Only this morning i got a reminder the dog's licenses were up for renewal in a month so if you are not getting them you might be the only one. When it comes to collecting revenue the Gov. don't take chances or allow thw excuse of "I didn't know they were up for renewal".
    ...... so I dont think well receive a notification for renewal of firearms licences.
    Until i get word lads, remember that it's a re-application. IOW you must re-apply for retain your firearms. Not simply a renewal. Of course unless they have introduced another new document in the last day or so to deal with it.
    rgugliel wrote: »
    So then can you apply within 3 months, and if granted within the first month hold off on paying in the post office for 2 months?
    Afraid not. Again unless they have changed it recently i'm working of the current rules which say that you must pay the fee within 30 days of receiving the grant notice or you "forfeit" the license. So if you get it within the first month you basically loose two months of a 36 month license. It's a pain, but that's the way it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Could someone ( one of the Mods?) call the firearms guidance? man in the phoenix park and post the advice up here?

did anybody get a renewal notice or must you fill in the form and apply again?

CliveJ got his a month ago, and i received the first of mine 2 weeks ago. So they are being sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

This should clarify what to expect and to do..........
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=4144&Lang=1

Advertisement