Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YAMAHA WR250R possible to insure?

• 23-04-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get an off-road bike and the WR250R has been recommended to me , would it be possible to make it street legal for the 6 mile journey from my house to the local trails and possible to insure on off road tyres. Also any idea what hp it is as I want to know if I can insure it on a provisional A. I'd rather be able to drive it to the trails than trailer it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

30hp according to this site:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2010-yamaha-wr250r-ar69431.html

so ridable on a learner A alright ;) hows insurance looking for it?

I initially thought you were talking about a yz250, and I was about to berate your friends - that tis no learner bike..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Didn't check insurance yet said i'd find out first if it was do able .i'll report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would need to be road legal. Indicators, full and dipped beam lights, rear view mirrors etc...

It would need to be road legal. Indicators, full and dipped beam lights, rear view mirrors etc...

2009-yamaha-wr250r-3_460x0w.jpg

wr250r is a road legal 4 stroke trails, by the looks of it alright

Wossack wrote: »

2009-yamaha-wr250r-3_460x0w.jpg

wr250r is a road legal 4 stroke trails, by the looks of it alright

I've read reviews of it and it seems to be ideal for my needs , road legal and adequate off road especially for a beginner , I know it's not an out and out off road machine but I'm sure it's adequate for my limited abilities.

• Advertisement

€504 on line quote with liberty , third party fire and theft holding a first provisional and over 30 , sounds expensive , is it?

the only thing I'd say is, check the weight of it when you go to look at it

if you're bringing it on trails, its best you're able to pick it up yourself for when you come off it :)

/edit insurance quote doesnt sound too bad imo. Might get a better one on the phone

Wossack wrote: »
    the only thing I'd say is, check the weight of it when you go to look at it

if you're bringing it on trails, its best you're able to pick it up yourself for when you come off it :)

Good point. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP the WR is a nice machine and should be plenty fast enough off road, 30 hp is plenty for most offroad conditions where an excess of horsepower can often be a problem in slimy conditions where traction is poor.
    If you do buy one make sure the dealer plates it and doesn't leave it up to you, some offroad machines are not type approved for road usage, this is a problem with some ATV's here which cannot be used on the road.
    Pirelli MT21 are probably the best tyres for 90% off and 10% onroad riding.

Advertisement