Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Back Garden Extension - Help!!

Options
  • 23-04-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I can extend my back garden alittle - long story! Anyway I am a complete novice when it comes to gardening and construction etc. I have a small back garden at the moment that is nice and neat and well kept with just grass, very large tree, garden shed and the normal wooden panels dividing gardens! I suppose Im worried that at the moment its pleasant to look at and if I extend it will become an eyesore as I havent a clue where to start and what my neighbours have done with their extensions! One neighbour build a huge shed so one side of my extension will be his shed wall as it will act as the boundary now if I want to extend! The other neighbour just used green wire but behind that there is a large enough shed! If anyone could advice me on any of the following it would be really appreciated. 1. How high can I build a back wall? 2. Are back walls expensive to build? 3. Would anyone recommend I just put down wooden fences for the back wall like I have now? 4. Any tips how to camaflogue the neighbours shed wall when I extend? 5. Is topsoil expensive as there is a big dip where I can extend? 6. How much are sods of grass as I reckon easier to lay them than plant seeds! 7. Can you buy fairly big or well grown shrubs or trees to give privacy around the new extension! I dont have alot of money to play with after paying legal fees for this tiny plot so to be honest I wont be doing anything fancy I just want nice and neat! Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

1. not sure how high wall can you built out the back, but 6ft should be fine for privacy
    2,3 wooden fence panels should be cheaper then building wall, but they wont last as long as back wall
    4. youa can install wooden trellis on your neighbour shed (ask him for permosion) and then plant some climbing plants
    5. price of top soil is depend on your location, dublin around 60-80e per tone
    6. one roll of turf cost around 3.5e and it cover about 0.7 sq meter of garden, seeds will be much cheaper, seeding grass and laying turf need same ground preparation, if you go for rolls of turf you will recive instant effect, if you go for seeds you will have to wait couple of months to recive nice lawn.
    7. ofcourse you can buy bigger plants but they cost more, so if you have tight budget better get small ones and wait till they grow

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

1. not sure how high wall can you built out the back, but 6ft should be fine for privacy
    2,3 wooden fence panels should be cheaper then building wall, but they wont last as long as back wall
    4. youa can install wooden trellis on your neighbour shed (ask him for permosion) and then plant some climbing plants
    5. price of top soil is depend on your location, dublin around 60-80e per tone
    6. one roll of turf cost around 3.5e and it cover about 0.7 sq meter of garden, seeds will be much cheaper, seeding grass and laying turf need same ground preparation, if you go for rolls of turf you will recive instant effect, if you go for seeds you will have to wait couple of months to recive nice lawn.
    7. ofcourse you can buy bigger plants but they cost more, so if you have tight budget better get small ones and wait till they grow

Thanks for all your advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2 meters high is the highest you can legaly build a back garden wall.

1.2 meters for a front and side garden boundary wall.

Anything higher than these heights,and you need to apply for full planning permission.

Your neighbour cannot use the boundary wall as his own shed wall.Against planning rules and regulations as far as Im aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

paddy147 wrote: »
    2 meters high is the highest you can legaly build a back garden wall.

1.2 meters for a front and side garden boundary wall.

Anything higher than these heights,and you need to apply for full planning permission.

Your neighbour cannot use the boundary wall as his own shed wall.Against planning rules and regulations as far as Im aware of.

Regarding the boundary wall, he said it was like building a wall between the two back gardens when extended so I didnt object as he built this over a year ago when he extended his garden and at that stage I didnt intend to extend!
    Thanks regarding height of back wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Your talking about just extending only the rear of your garden and at the moment you just have a normal wooden fence?

You could just remove one panel and put an arch in, that way you dont have to look at the whole of the new area, it creates interest and gives you the option to keep it that way and have a "secret" garden or a totally different one are to your existing garden (Pond, Cottage garden with no grass, etc etc ). Some people like to have different areas and the experts say its best to ahve a garden that you cant see all of it straight away and entices you out to explore

If you want to later on, you just remove the other panels

Mature plants are a lot more expensive, but careful choice of plants will ensure they grow fast or annual seeds until established. Some shrubs like the cherry laurel can be bought 2ft high for 5-8 euros but will then grow 2ft a year or more reaching 6-8 feet unless pruned. A mature version would cost at least 10 times that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement