Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 Preview Thread (Your Offseason Moves, Aims, Expectations, Etc For Season 3)

Options
  • 23-04-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd set this thread up so people can post their own teams preview for season 3, including reasoning for offseason trades, aims and expectations for the new season, along with their predictions. Hopefully a few will be interested in doing it and we can get a nice little preview thread going whilst we're waiting to get back into action.

McG has a great Excel spreadsheet done up full of statistics, so it will be easy to come back and visit this thread at the end of the season to see if people have met their aims and expectations.

I'll start:

Dallas Cowboys

Last season - 12-4, playoff defeat in 1st round to Chicago Bears

MVP - Ahmad Bradshaw, 1910 yards of 223 attempts, average of 8.6 yards per carry and 17 TD's.

Additions - James Harrison (ROLB), Nick Barnett (MLB), Chad Ochocinco (WR)

Departures - London Fletcher (retirement), Heath Miller (trade), Tramon Williams (trade)

Season 3 bookmakers odds - 8th favourites at a widely available 25/1.

Thought process behind offseason moves:

First was a double trade with NFC East rivals the Eagles. Going out was TE Heath Miller and shutdown CB Tramon Williams, in exchange for linebackers James Harrison and Nick Barnett. London Fletcher is hanging up his cleats next week so I had a huge gap to fill there and I needed to get a pass rush threat from an OLB so Harrison is my man. Miller actually had less receptions than my second choice TE and I don't throw to the TE much, so Miller was a nice bargaining chip to have. Williams is an excellent player but I have 2 rookie CB's (one with A Pot, one with B) who should progress nicely and that will keep me ticking over at CB. Trading him allowed me to strengthen another position which I was desperate for a decent player in so I'm very happy with the trade.

The second trade was with the Raiders. I've traded young HB Dorial Washington (who will progress nicely but is behind Bradshaw and Tolbert in the pecking order) for veteran WR Ochocinco. Ocho is one of my favourite players but it's not just a sentimental trade. He's an excellent route runner with great hands in the game so will fight Steve Johnson for the 2 WR spot and will definitely beat out Gibson for the 3 WR spot. So Larry Fitz, Steve Johnson and Chad Ochocinco as the 3 main WR threats, with Peyton Manning supplying the ammunition. That's a scary thought for any defense.

Aims & Expectations:

With the arrival of Ocho, I'm finally going to try and utilize the excellent resources I have and should be using more toward developing an effective passing game. As mentioned above, the QB and 3 WR's I have could slice teams open if I can get to grips with it. I'm currently working with a new playbook which I feel will compliment my players, and hopefully I'll be used to that by the time season 3 kicks off. Last season I was a bit too dependent on my running game, wasting the excellent passing resources I have, but I'm going to try and change that this season.

After winning the division last year I suppose I have to say that the aim is to show my rookie season wasn't just down to beginners luck. I've made trades and the team is more ''my own'' now, so I can have no excuses on that front. It would be nice to go one step further and get through the first round of the playoffs, but with Rizzo, ET and Nerd all capable of putting a performance in against anyone, the NFC East is one of the toughest divisions in the league, so even getting to the playoffs will be very tough.

To summarise, I'd like to get the passing game going more and mixing it up with the run game I'm very happy with. I'd like to win the division and go one step further in the playoffs. That will be a difficult task though so I'd be happy with making the playoffs first of all and we'll see what happens then.

Season 3 Predictions:

AFC North - Ravens
    AFC South - Colts
    AFC East - Jets
    AFC West - Broncos

NFC North - Packers
    NFC South - Falcons
    NFC East - Cowboys (;))
    NFC West - Cardinals

AFC Champion - Jets
    NFC Champion - Packers/Cardinals (I'll say Packers)

Super Bowl Champions - Jets over Packers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

An ok season tbh.
    Lost the AFC South title after winning it 2 seasons in a row, made the play offs but didn't make it easy and a last day loss to the Ravens would have been a pretty bad end to the season. But in saying that I had a couple of good wins specifically over the Colts and then shut out the Bengals.

Tennessee Titans

Last season - 10-6, playoff defeat in 1st round to Colts

MVP - Jahvid Best (for a 2nd round pick) 324 carries, 1764 yards, 22 TDs. Can’t really fault him, if anything if I gave him better run blocking he would have burned through defenses all season.

Additions - Matt Schaub QB, Demayrius Thomas WR, John Carlson TE, Akeem Ayers and Quincy Black LBs, Vontae Davis CB and Maurice Jones-Drew HB

Departures - Lawrence Timmons, Tamba Hali, Sean Lee LBs, Mikel Leshoure RB, Branden Albert LT, Cameron Jordan LE, Reggie Bush HB

Patrick Willis may be added to that list...

Titans D is generally pretty good, however they have been unable to stop V Davis. The Titans HC has brought in his brother Vontae to kick his a$$:D and also add something at CB as I really have nothing there before.
    I wasn’t happy with McNabb so needed to get a good QB and then give him good catching receivers so I brought in another TE and a tall receiver.
    What I noticed was going deep i was always getting picked off so hopefully have a tall WR with good jumping will give me that option and then with my current receivers and 2 TEs I can go short.

I'm not too concerned with yards after the catch (one the new set of downs is gotten) but just catching and holding.

Best is a speed machine and when given a bit of space he'll burn anyone. However when my fairly poor offensive line doesn’t stay together he's getting tackled for a loss so I needed to bulk up my RBs and brought in MJD.

I've gotten rid of 2 exceptional LBs in Hali and Timmons however I have 2 able replacements in Ayers and Black and Willis (will most likely be) the anchor point at MLB here.

Aims & Expectations:

My aim this season is to give Schaub time in the pocket to pick out his receivers, specifically, Finley, Carlson and Thomas. Mixing that up with the barrelling run of MJD and the pure speed of Best will hopefully give me a unstoppable offense.

While I’ve weakened at the LB position, I'm hoping collectively it's not much of a downgrade. In the secondary my rookies should progress to 80 or more (hopefully) and at SS Wilson is still hauling in interceptions.
    O'Neal should progress at CB and along with the addition of Vontae Davis I should be ok for those deep bombs.

Rogers and Vickerson at DT will need good seasons to stop the run.

My aim will be to take back AFC South for McG ( we really do have a great rivalry going- Play offs excluded!) and honestly I hope the Texans get their form of their first season back to make the AFC as competitive as possible.
    I would love to get 1st/2nd seed but it's incredibly tough but either way I want to avoid the Colts in the play offs!

Season 3 Predictions:

AFC North - Bengals
    AFC South - Titans
    AFC East - Jets
    AFC West - Broncos

NFC North - Packers
    NFC South - Buccs
    NFC East - Cowboys
    NFC West - Cardinals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Cincinnati Bengals

Last season - 9-7, AFC North Winner, lost in wildcard round to Buffalo Bills
    Haven't been able to play Madden at all besides my BFL games, so haven't improved, especially compared to improved standard throughout the league.
    Some disappointing losses in there.

MVP - MLB Karlos Dansby, the leader of my defense, does absolutely everything. 55 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 4 INTs

In - RB Mikel Leshoure, RB Lascelle Saunders, DT Pat Sims
    Out - TE John Carlson, WR Vincent Brown, 2nd round pick
    (To be continued...)

Looked to add depth to my roster, am very happy with starters.
    I see Leshoure as a young Michael Turner, able understudy.
    Saunders will be a good change-of-pace back and option out of the backfield.
    Pat Sims will add depth to the D-line rotation.
    Carlson and Brown were solid backups but saw very little playing time.

Aims & Expectations:
    Am hoping for good progression from Cam Newton. Have gotten used to him now, and think I will play much better with him next season. This should reduce the turnovers which killed me.
    Focus on the running game this season should be reduced as I get better in the passing game, have some good receivers in Maclin, Garcon, Hernandez and Alexander.

Very happy with my defense, especially the pressure the D-line will generate, which should make everyone else's job easier. Still looking to upgrade the secondary, either through trades or draft.

Aim for the season is first off to win the AFC North for third year running. Will face stiff competition from the Ravens who have had another busy offseason and beat me well in our second game. After that, the playoffs will take care of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Buffalo Bills

Last season - 10-6 regular season, A horrendous start from losing Arian Foster in week 1 for 10 weeks to losing the first 4 straight. Then only losing 2 more games for the rest of the season. Conference loss to the Jets, A game i should have won, I should be one more win away to a superbowl appearance! Another forgotten Ring for the Buffalo Bills

MVP - Derrick Johnson 63 tackles 25 for a loss, 8 Sacks, 6 Interceptions . Possibly the most influential linebacker in the league? More combo sacks/interceptions/tackles than any other defensive player in the league.

Additions - Jay Cutler (QB) , LaRon Landry (SS) , Santonio Holmes (WR) Jared Veldheer (LT) Chris Hairstone (RT)

Departures - Troy Polamalu (SS) Kyle Orton (QB) Arian Foster (HB) Sammie Stroughter (WR)

Season 3 bookmakers odds - 15/1 Good money for an outside bet.

I needed a franchise quarterback. Jay Cutler is that ! He's got the arm strength. He also played the option in college, he's a tough competitor, people say teams take on the persona of there quarterback, thats what im looking for.. A strong competitive team! Trading Troy Polamalu was difficult but i got an upgrade at QB and Ive still got an excellent SS to replace him in Landry.

Next trade Arian Foster out ? Foster injury showed me i don't need him . Danny Woodhead ran for 1230 yards off 130 attempts and 12 touchdowns Boom! . If i have a franchise quarterback i need a franchise Left Tackle Charlie Johnson is an able back up but Jared Veldheer is a rock ! . The Foster trade with the Eagles give's me an excellent left tackle and fire power for Jay Cutler! Santonio Holmes at wide out !

Aims & Expectations:

So Cutler can come out in a run heavy offense with Jackson/Holmes/Watson and Danny Woodhead . Will i run will i pass ? Start guessing folks !

The new men to the roster allow me to force teams into nickel or keep them in a base 3-4 or 4-3. My Defense will not take a noticeable drop off.

I need these trades to challenge for the AFC East. My goal is to win it next year. I need 2-0 against the Jets, I think its the only way i can stay ahead of the win columns. I also am looking at a minimum AFC Championship game. Anything next season will be a let down.

Season 3 Predictions

Its far to close in many conferences.

NFC North- Packers probably....

NFC East- PFFFF guess who, the redskins finished strong, Eagles/Giants will have improved and an easier schedule than the Cowboys. The Cowboys will need to win some big games to stay ahead.

Divisonal games will win that one !

NFC South
    Tampa Bay will win, Ill go into more detail with a review of Tampa Bay before the start of the season.

NFC West
    The Rams seem to be improving year on year. So although i dont see a post season for them in a very hard division but i can see St Louis being a difficult place to go ! The Cardinals/49ers games will decide the division.

AFC East
    Jets/Bills games will decide the division. Jets are favored but this season conference game will give the bills and the outside betters hope.

AFC South
    I see the Texans improving next year, i see the texans sticking to there run game a lot more, Kyle Orton is a game manager but make him throw more than 25 times in a game and your going to struggle. Like the Rams though i can't see them winning the division, but they hold the key to the division. The Titans/Colts will need a 2-0 win streak against the Texans... Im going with the Titans, MJD will prove to much for both teams.

AFC North
    I'd side with the Bengals just about, Its going to come down to the final few games. I only see one team coming out of the division. Ravens prove me wrong.

AFC West
    The Raiders have seem to have gone backwards in the post season, The Chargers are bidding there time. So i see the Chargers leap frog the Raiders next season. Its the Bronco's division, such an explosive offense and a dominant defensive line. Cant see any of the teams challenging them.

Superbowl

My outside bet other than the Bills ? .....................................

Tampa Bay at 45-1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Last year the Raiders total lack of a defense killed us and we finished 9-7.

Oakland Raiders
    MVP- MJD, obviously.

Additions: Matt Hill, Louis Murphy, Johnny Knox, Reggie Bush, Cameron Jordan, Lawrence Timmons, Montra Haynes, Da'Quan Bowers, Albert Haynesworth, Pat Angerer, Sherrod Martin and William Moore, Dorial Washington, Larod Stephens-Howling, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Departures: MJD, Ochocinco, Wes Welker, Matt Schaub, Jake Bucher, Pat Sims, Brad Jones, Abram Elam, Roman Harper, first and third round pick.

Thought process behind offseason moves

I have a lot of explaining to do. I'll go through my trades.

Trade 1: MJD for Lawrence Timmons and Reggie Bush. This trade raised a lot of eyebrows. Reggie Bush instantly massively upgrades a poor return unit from last year. We had nothing close to a big return. Lawrence Timmons is a huge upgrade on whoever last year's MLB was. He can blitz, he can cover, and he is excellent at stopping runs that have just gone past the line of scrimmage. Helps the defense big time. I felt that the only thing that MJD had that Reggie didn't was strength, and Reggie isn't weak either. Reggie is literally a running back who could play WR.

Trade 2: Cameron Jordan and a second round pick for Matt Schaub. On the surface, the Titans have by far the better side of this deal. However, while Jordan will progress, Schaub will regress. And I couldn't count on Schaub at all when the coliseum was windy.

Trade 3: Matt Hill and Johnny Knox for Wes Welker and a second round pick. I had no use for Welker, and already had a few second rounders. Matt Hill, while rated low, looks like an exceptional thrower of the ball with strong throw power and accuracy, except when throwing short, but I only throw short if they have running room anyway. Knox is a speedster.

Trade 4: Pat Angerer for my first and second round picks. I think I overpaid relative to what I could've got, but I really like Angerer. He's just what I want. I don't need a blitzing LOLB, I need a coverage guy who can stop the run. Angerer could progress, he's rated 80 and my first round pick should also be around 80.

Trade 5: Jake Bucher for Da'Quan Bowers. They're both very young, rated around the same and should progress well. Bowers fills a pass rushing need.

Trade 6: Abram Elam for Sherrod Martin and Larod Stephens-Howling. I traded Elam away because he's really a SS and shouldn't be in FS and Martin can cover better. Stephens-Howling is just a useful guy to have for kick returns and in 2 running back sets.

Trade 7: Ryan Fitzpatrick and Roman Harper for William Moore and Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth has trouble standing up, but I think he can pass-rush, even if he has to sit out a quarter every game. William Moore can cover better than Roman Harper.

The other ones are very minor.

Aims and expectations:

Right Now I'm just focused on winning the AFC West. I think I'm very capable. I'm not far off the Broncos at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers ... next season...

Really can't wait for this....

I'm changing my playbooks..:eek:.there I've said it, going from 3-4 to 4-3 on defense and on offense I'm not sure but I'm ditching the niners playbook. There's some great running plays in there but not a whole lot of passing.

With the progressions I have a good offensive line, 2 good tight ends and one elite WR.

I'm thinking the Patriots playbook but am not sure what there runs are like, I'll do a bit of research. So to that end I'll look forward to next season.

Trades:

Traded away a backup O-Lineman (McKinnie)and DT(Gibson) for Manning (DT). This will give me 2 very good DT's and enable me to demote one of my MLB's to the bench which should provide an overall improvement on defense especially against the run but also think the pass rush will improve.

Also traded away Terrance Newman for a good FB who will replace the guy from last year who has retired.

Pending trades: toying with bringing in another WR but may not bother I'll see what's available after the draft.

Season 3 preview

For next year I'm hoping to be able to rely less on Charles and hopefully cut his carries in half, I hope the passing game improves, with the tight ends catching a lot of underneath passes and Britt stretching the field, then Charles taking advantage of the running lanes which will hopefully open up.

It seems like a good plan on paper but we will see how it pans out.

On Defense I should be good against the run but I have struggled against the pass and my secondary players have mostly regressed. I'l try to address the secondary in the draft but I hope to bring more pressure on the QB next year so hopefully will be a little more difficult to pass against. If the run Defense holds up I should be able to force opponents into 3rd and long situations which should help.

Predictions:

49ers tough schedule could mean a lot of close games that could go either way. I'd be hoping to come away with 10-6.

Other divisions

NFC North - Packers
    NFC East - Cowboys
    NFC South - Falcons
    NFC West - 49ers

AFC East - Jets
    AFC West - Broncos
    AFC South - Titans
    AFC North - Ravens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm changing my playbooks..:eek:

Doing the same thing myself mate. I've been experimenting with a couple and have found one I really like, so it should be interesting to see how we get on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This might help it breaks down the offensive playbooks by play type:

http://www.xsosfootball.com/m12-offensive-playbooks-play-counts/

Edit: Something similar for defensive playbooks, lets you know what teams have what formations:

http://www.xsosfootball.com/madden-12-defensive-team-playbook-formation-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm changing my playbooks..:eek:.there I've said it, going from 3-4 to 4-3 on defense and on offense I'm not sure but I'm ditching the niners playbook. There's some great running plays in there but not a whole lot of passing.

Start using it now and get plenty of practice. Go into practice and try so many different variables on plays. Same for 4-3..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dave, lets see this preview on the newcomer to the franchise, Tampa Bay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Paully D wrote: »
    Dave, lets see this preview on the newcomer to the franchise, Tampa Bay :)

Yeah Dave!!! If that's your real name!!! Where is it???

Here's the Bucs, Bucs preview:

Last season:

- Not sure... picking 16th in the draft though so guessing 8-8
    - Would have been 16-0 except on 8 separate occasions the opposition scored more points and conceded less than the Bucs did!!!

Offseason moves:

- Brought in Hali and Ratliff to join a man called Suh and Ryan Kerrigan in a formidable defensive front 4.
    - Shored up the LB corps with the addition of DJ Williams... who's a LB not a DJ
    - Downgraded the secondary which was the strength of the team. It's now up there with my all star special teams unit in terms of ineptitude
    - Bulked up the Oline through the addition of Jake Butcher, Brandon Albert and Chris Snee.
    - Sat back and watched someone else's (or the CPUs) hard work improve the likes of Julio Jones, Matt Forte and Josh Freeman.
    - Made a trade block which was largely ignored ;)

Aims:

- Win 8 games. That is it. First season doing something like this so i'll be audibling to a QB kneel at the first hint of a blitz
    - Improve my DNF rating on Madden online from 100%... i'd be happy with 60%

Predictions:

- I'll make a hash of a game against a CPU.... probably 2 or 3
    - Someone will offer me an "elite" player in exchange for one of my "backups"
    - I'll miss a week and one of my key players will suffer a season long injury... probably a dislocated shoulder of doom
    - Dave's suberbowl prediction(s) will not come true
    - the Superbowl will be the Pack and Jets (and i've only been here 3 weeks)
    - The YES vote will pass.... just

so that's the Bucs, Bucs preview... The floor is yours now Dave!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

This season I will be mostly trying to win games. hope to win at least six again. Trades...what trades...baged 2 first rnd picks an one second to go with my own so could be a late trader.
    Hopes...to not concede more than 26 pts vs cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

Seahawks

Still trying to find my feet in franchise - so main aim to is actually win a couple of games.

I am going to find a new playbook I am happy with - not really comfortable with Seahawks playbook at moment.

My draft didnt go overly well but I got a few players I am happy enough with, and I havent made any trades yet. Cant decide who I want to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Cincinnati Bengals

In - RB Mikel Leshoure, RB Lascelle Saunders, DT Pat Sims
    Out - TE John Carlson, WR Vincent Brown, 2nd round pick
    (To be continued...)

"To be continued" is right. Of the moves mentioned previously, two don't really apply anymore. Final tally:

In - RB Lascelle Saunders, WR Josh Cribbs, LOLB Justin Durant, RE Osi Umenyiora, DT Antonio Johnson, FS Dawan Landry, CB Brandon Carr, RE Phillip Merling

In & Back Out - RB Mikel Leshoure, DT Pat Sims
    Out & Back In - 2nd round pick

Out - WR Vincent Brown, CB Johnny Patrick, TE John Carlson, CB Phillip Buchanon, RG Mackenzy Bernadeau, LOLB Julian Peterson, RE Will Smith, FB Owen Marecic, SS Jaiquawn Jarrett

To be continued....?

After getting Leshoure from Titans found interest in him from Bears and was used as part of two trades with Bears to upgrade starting FS, LOLB and CB positions, and also improve the return game with Josh Cribbs.
    Saunders will be a good change-of-pace back and option out of the backfield.
    Pat Sims was meant to add depth to the D-line rotation, but used him as chip to upgrade RE position to Osi from Will Smith. Picked up good DT in first round of draft

Advertisement