Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having the vote while on the dole..

• 23-04-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Yep, another dole thread, but hear me out.

I have just watched a mini-discussion on the political system in Britain. That coupled with my own views on lobby groups has led me to the question - Should people claiming the dole have the right to vote?

Taking the premise that people on the dole are an 'interest group' and given the economic times we are in, is the voting power of those on social welfare anti-democratic and anti-economy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

anti-democratic? no
    anti-economy? probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I believe the right to vote should be reserved solely for people who agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

No they shouldn't be allowed vote but working classes shouldn't be allowed vote either. They're not intelligent enough to understand the issues. Only the elites like Michael Noonan should be allowed vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I have just watched a mini-discussion on the political system in Britain. That coupled with my own views on lobby groups has led me to the question - Should people claiming the dole have the right to vote?

Taking the premise that people on the dole are an 'interest group' and given the economic times we are in, is the voting power of those on social welfare anti-democratic and anti-economy?

How are people on the Dole an "interest group"? These are the people whose votes should count most, surely.

I...I.....

ah forget it.

• Advertisement

Should people who start retarded threads be allowed to vote?

I say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Why don't you just build a time machine so you can go back to the 1800s and enjoy your sweet sweet middle-class white male privilige?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Holy Moley :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Being an upper class snob, as much as I hate the working (or not-working) class, your idea isfucking stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

Seeing as alot of people on the dole were put in that situation by the government, I would say yes, of course they should be allowed to vote!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"I agree but only because I get all of my political opinions off the back of crisp packets I find in the toilets of my local pub."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Now I have read some stupid things in after hours but that tops the lot.

Wonder what the OP would think if he knew people on the Dole are getting priorty for working in the polling centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I think there's no harm in doting on voles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Everyone wants to keep the right to vote for themselves. This is why democracy was brought in.

Anyway, voting makes no difference in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

personally I think dole jockies should be put into camps and forced to make those stupid leprechaun hats they sell in Caddles Irish gifts. TDs could give them away on their foreign junkets to promote tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CasaBonita

What a retarded post, probably the most retarded I've seen on this site. Sure isn't everyone a part of some 'interest group'?

Excuse me for a few minutes while I go have a good laugh.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

What in the name of food vouchers is this person talking about ? Are you for real ?... Are you assuming that people on the dole/unemployed are in the category of criminals in prison that shouldn't be allowed vote. You need to educate yourself on the meaning of democracy and philosophy because this thread is non workable with that attitude. :rolleyes: This came up before about whether prisoners should be allowed vote even though they are Irish citizens. FFS what sort of people are we creating these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Should the need for cut backs in the area of social welfare arise.. or even the need to stop or restructure the facility of culmative payments (rent allowance, medical card, welfare etc etc) arises, the government cannot deal with the issue outright for fear of voter backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

lads, give the OP a chance.

i say we should have an idea of citizenship. simply put, if everyone focused on their obligations to society no one would ever need to evoke their rights!

thus, if you break the law, defacto you choose to surrender your rights as a citezen. no vote. no social welfare (if thats possible). etc.

same deal if you are on the dole - you are sponging off others for free.

you surrender your rights. when you have your obligations to everyone else sorted out, you can have your rights back.

i have no problem with anyone being on the dole as a stop gap. go find another job while you are waiting for something better to come along, go retrain. i dont care what you ddo as long as you are genuinely trying. so once the six months is up, sliding scale of payments downwards and withdrawal of rights. emigrate or get on with it. no one with any real pride could bare to be on the dole long term.

there you go OP. hope that gets your thread back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Should the need for cut backs in the area of social welfare arise.. or even the need to stop or restructure the facility of culmative payments (rent allowance, medical card, welfare etc etc) arises, the government cannot deal with the issue outright for fear of voter backlash.

So if the government cut single mothers allowance, should single mothers not be allowed vote? If they cut pensions, should pensioners not be allowed vote?

Sure there'd be nobody left to vote ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Sure in that case, stop people liable for the household charge from voting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Your right ! But why stop there, I say we get rid of the vote for women and minorities too. In fact we should get rid of the vote for anybody who doesn't hold a certain amount of land, makes sense to me. Then of course the people with the land are going to need some peasants, and nobody is going to be a peasants when they can get the dole, so lets get rid of the dole and all those other cushy benefits. The land owners can totally be trusted to look after those peasants. Then we have all those expensive TD's why should we pay for those, lets just have one ruler. Elections are expensive too, so we'll just have him rule for life. Get him a nice crown, and he can decide who gets to be a land owner.

Or maybe we should make so you need to be in the mobile infantry before you can vote. Either way the system is flawed, flawed I tells you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

lads, give the OP a chance.

i say we should have an idea of citizenship. simply put, if everyone focused on their obligations to society no one would ever need to evoke their rights!

thus, if you break the law, defacto you choose to surrender your rights as a citezen. no vote. no social welfare (if thats possible). etc.

same deal if you are on the dole - you are sponging off others for free.

you surrender your rights. when you have your obligations to everyone else sorted out, you can have your rights back.

i have no problem with anyone being on the dole as a stop gap. go find another job while you are waiting for something better to come along, go retrain. i dont care what you ddo as long as you are genuinely trying. so once the six months is up, sliding scale of payments downwards and withdrawal of rights. emigrate or get on with it. no one with any real pride could bare to be on the dole long term.

there you go OP. hope that gets your thread back on track.
    People below a certain level of intelligence shouldn't be allowed to vote, which includes people with your opinion(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Oh for **** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Old people shouldn't be allowed vote, they'll be dead soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

A new low for AH.
    Trolling or not, this is such a ridiculous thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement