Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics

Options
  • 23-04-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys, i'm currently doing the leaving cert and I have science choice down as my first choice on the cao. I'm hoping to pick either maths and physics or applied physics. I was wondering if anyone out there could fill me in a bit on the two courses (hours, workload, class size and which they think is the better degree)

thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nuadatt

Hi dr.meow,
    Which one you should do probably depends on your preferences but note that the two courses share many of the same modules.

The maths and physics students take more math modules at the expense of applied physics modules that are more directly relevant to modern day industrial applications. This is not necessarily a disadvantage to the maths and physics students as they are concentrating on developing mathematical skills that have their own applications in physical contexts.
    Of course, this means applied physics students do not do as much advanced mathematics.

In summary, applied physics students study more physics while maths and physics students study more maths. This means applied physics students are perhaps better placed to work in a laboratory environment.

In terms of workload, in theory they should be the same, but again this depends on your own ability and dedication. At any given semester you will be doing 5 modules. Each module would include 2 or 3 hours of lectures; 2 or 3 hours of labs (not for all modules); a 1 hour tutorial; and the rest self study time and time dedicated to writing up assignments/reports. This should be the same for all courses in UL.

If you want further information you could look at the links below and contact the course directors
    http://www3.ul.ie/courses/AppliedPhysics.php
    http://www3.ul.ie/courses/MathematicsAndPhysics.php

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

dr.meow wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm currently doing the leaving cert and I have science choice down as my first choice on the cao. I'm hoping to pick either maths and physics or applied physics. I was wondering if anyone out there could fill me in a bit on the two courses (hours, workload, class size and which they think is the better degree)

thanks so much!

Hi I did applied physics for a while so I can fill you in on a few things. Class size is very small around 13 people when I was there before people started dropping out but your mixed together with other classes for every module except measurements so youll get to know loads, hours per week was around 26 and at the end of each semester there is around 5 exams it was at the time. it involves a good bit of work outside the class room as well lab reports, programming assignments and maths work. sounds like a lot and compared to other courses it is but if you like it and are good at it you should have no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nuadatt

TEMPLAR KNIGHT, I don't think there has ever been 9 exams at the end of one semester (typo?). Maybe you were including mid-term exams etc? There would be at most 5 final exams at the end of semester exams. A small number of modules require a lab exam also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

nuadatt wrote: »
    TEMPLAR KNIGHT, I don't think there has ever been 9 exams at the end of one semester (typo?). Maybe you were including mid-term exams etc? There would be at most 5 final exams at the end of semester exams. A small number of modules require a lab exam also.

Yeah it was a typo, fixed anyway thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerry UCC

hi guys im doing an assignment at the moment and i have never done physics before hince im really confused does anyone know how to do this question?
    the speed of light in a vacuum is 1.08x10^9 km hr and i have to change it to ms^-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Kerry UCC wrote: »
    hi guys im doing an assignment at the moment and i have never done physics before hince im really confused does anyone know how to do this question?
    the speed of light in a vacuum is 1.08x10^9 km hr and i have to change it to ms^-1

This should help.

Advertisement