Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

• 23-04-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

READ FIRST - NOTE FROM MODS

I would like to state a few things for those posting here:

Any inflammatory remarks (fanboy, iSheep, fandroid, etc) or trolling will result in a ban from this forum.

By all means, discuss the pros and cons of the various mobile operating systems and associated hardware, but please keep it civil. Any personal attacks, or posts with aggressive language will not be tolerated and will result in a ban also.

If you are offended by a post, or see a post relating to the above, please report the post to the mods so that we can handle the situation. Do not reply to the reported post - let us deal with it.

To summarise: don't be a dick.

So, how about that iPhone 5 ? :)

Original post:

Anyone know when this device is going to be launched by Apple? I am due an upgrade and was going to wait for this provided its not too far away. The iPhone 4s isn't that much better than my hd desire I don't think so il pass on that butbut I expect the new iPhone to be class hopefully.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

nothing official as of yet, and there won't be until about a week before its launch. It will follow the same trend as always for its release, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

teednab-el wrote: »
    Anyone know when this device is going to be launched by Apple? I am due an upgrade and was going to wait for this provided its not too far away. The iPhone 4s isn't that much better than my hd desire I don't think so il pass on that butbut I expect the new iPhone to be class hopefully.

That is very debatable! Personally think the 4s is 10 times better phone than the Desire.

What are you expecting on the 5 that will make it class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

murpho999 wrote: »

It'll have number 5 on the box rather than 4s. Usually about first week of june at the WDC is when it's announced. I'd imagine it'd be announced then, but it probably won't launch here till mid-end july. Like the 3G and the 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

murpho999 wrote: »
    That is very debatable! Personally think the 4s is 10 times better phone than the Desire.

Well the desire HD came out before the 4s but what I'm saying is that the iPhone 4s isnt worth the upgrade until the iPhone 5 is out.

Well the iphone 5really must produce something that outclasses the proposed Samsung galaxy S3 and the htc one. Hopefully they have a bigger screen for a start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hopefully they have a bigger screen for a start.
    Hopefully not. iPhone is perfect size for those who dont want to carry a mini tablet in their pocket like the route alot of phones are going for. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yakult wrote: »
    Hopefully not. iPhone is perfect size for those who dont want to carry a mini tablet in their pocket like the route alot of phones are going for. Meh.

Absolutely. Size on iPhone is fine as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Doodah7

whiterebel wrote: »
    Absolutely. Size on iPhone is fine as it is.

+1.

Phones with large screens are plain ugly. I remember a few years ago when the aim of phone companies was to make the smallest possible phone, it is now going the other way again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

+1 for screensize remaining the same. The reason it is this size is so that the average person can access any part of the screen with their thumb while operating it one handed. Any bigger will make one handed use awkward, if not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

+1 as well. I can do everything i need to on the iphone with the screen the size it is - I have an iphone 4 and and iphone 4s and the speed difference is noticable in the 4s when im doing anything on it.

The lads in work have the HTC's and the screen is just a little too big for my liking - it makes it bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I disagree on the screen size, I find the iPhone screen too small, and I never liked the change in shape from the 3GS. Lots of rumors that the new 5 will be back to that kind of shape again, and I hope that's true. It's a lot nicer to hold. Plus there's a lot of wastage in the iPhone case size versus screen size ratio. A nicer shape that's naturally easier to hold could allow for the phone to be very slightly wider, then just push the screen size bigger while leaving the rest alone and you'd have a good device.
    I agree with OP, the 4S isn't worth the upgrade, SIRI isn't much good in this part of the world yet, it'll take time to mature, so I'd say hold out.
    Chances are slim of the 5 being released in June though. I'd say more like end of July, August direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I disagree on the screen size, I find the iPhone screen too small, and I never liked the change in shape from the 3GS. Lots of rumors that the new 5 will be back to that kind of shape again, and I hope that's true. It's a lot nicer to hold. Plus there's a lot of wastage in the iPhone case size versus screen size ratio. A nicer shape that's naturally easier to hold could allow for the phone to be very slightly wider, then just push the screen size bigger while leaving the rest alone and you'd have a good device.
    I agree with OP, the 4S isn't worth the upgrade, SIRI isn't much good in this part of the world yet, it'll take time to mature, so I'd say hold out.
    Chances are slim of the 5 being released in June though. I'd say more like end of July, August direction.

There are already Chinese copies of the supposed iphone 5 out that have the iphone 3 curved shape with similar dimensions to the iphone 4

hiphone5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

DjTaz wrote: »

There are already Chinese copies of the supposed iphone 5 out that have the iphone 3 curved shape with similar dimensions to the iphone 4

hiphone5.jpg
    Every year its the same

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It'll have number 5 on the box rather than 4s. Usually about first week of june at the WDC is when it's announced. I'd imagine it'd be announced then, but it probably won't launch here till mid-end july. Like the 3G and the 4

They changed for the 4S and are expected to stick to October release for the iPhone 5.
    Yakult wrote: »

I certainly don't want a much bigger phone, but I want a bigger screen. Either use up more of the current space for screen, or make it slightly bigger. Say 4" would be a nice size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I'v heard around end of Aug/Sept.. Hopefully..

Also hoping they go back to the old shape (iphone 3) as I find iphone 4 very bulky

I love the current design. The whole surface being a screen would be very nice though, although I don't find the current screen size limiting at all. To be honest I can't really see anything I want to change on my 4. It's a bit slow at some things but that's only because I never restart it and it has about 200mb free space on it. I don't miss how quick it was when I first got it. Siri is something I would never use, too. Am I the only one that wants apple to make an iPhone which I can drop without instinctively just accepting the fact that when I go to pick it up the screen WILL be broken...

They're going to make it 2mm thinner and people are going to put on massive rubber cases like they do now. cygnett-workmate.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

copacetic wrote: »
    They changed for the 4S and are expected to stick to October release for the iPhone 5.

Apple didn't set anything in stone about that date being the norm for iphone releases. I think they could just as easily release a new iPhone during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Personally I would like to see a small increase in screen size and a bit slimmer.
    I do love the build quality of the iPhone 4 compared to SG2 that I had for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

It would be usefull, if the 5, didn't drop calls, like all it's predessors:rolleyes:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    It would be usefull, if the 5, didn't drop calls, like all it's predessors:rolleyes:

I've never experienced a dropped call on mine. must be something to do with how I hold it, stopping antennagate and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

It would be usefull, if the 5, didn't drop calls, like all it's predessors

I have had all the iphones from first aluminium backed one up to 4s and never had one dropped call and that is with 3 different providers.
    Maybe I am one of the lucky ones..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Larger screen please, I'm finding typing lately a pain in the ass on the iPhone. Truth be told, my ideal frankenphone would be one with a slide out QWERTY keyboard and iOS, but to date the only way I've been able to do that so far was with a boxwave keyboard buddy case until that packed up.

There's good speculation that the next handset will use the Liquid Metal process Apple paid for a few years back, it'd allow them to more or less mould a metal back the same way they can with a plastic one. Something that echo's the Droid RAZR's 7mm thin case would be sweet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's been some speculation that they will make the screen taller but keep the current width. The argument for this is that apps tend to scroll up to down rather than left to right, so it wouldn't be too hard for developers to adapt their apps, many of which are resolution independent anyway. This would also allow Apple to keep the phone the same size and just use up some of the free space at the top and bottom of the phone. The Verge made the case for this with mock ups here.

Others have argued that this would be too messy, suggesting Apple will instead keep the current aspect ratio and simply make the screen larger, expanding to the edges and making the phone a little bit wider. The advantage of this is that developers wouldn't have to change their apps. Good case made for this here. And here's the mock up:

tumblr_m2hincJ9PC1qzngst.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WWDC has been announced for June and will be focusing on iOS and OS X. This suggests Apple won't announce the new iPhone until September/October again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just rumours, but apparently the iWatch might be making an appearance later in the year - especially with the offerings from Sony, Pebble and I'm Watch hitting the market. An article I read yesterday made reference to Steve J really liking the idea of an iWatch, and that there were some concepts thrown about 2 years ago, but nothing came of it at the time.

I've never experienced a dropped call on mine. must be something to do with how I hold it, stopping antennagate and all that

Mine was dropping calls with Vodafone on 4.3.3/04.10.01 but since updating to iOS 5 I've been fine.

I don't think it's going to be called the iPhone 5 either, since the 4S technically is the fifth release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

It will be the "new iPhone" :D

And it could be iPhone 5. The 4S is technically version 4.5, just as the 3GS came after 3G but before the 4 (I know the 4 was technically the fourth generation...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

WWDC has been announced for June and will be focusing on iOS and OS X. This suggests Apple won't announce the new iPhone until September/October again.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Average product cycles are here ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78352445#post78352445

All apple products are on the page with suggestions as to when to buy .... note that some upgrades are hardly worth it ... 4s over 4 ? Seriously , for a Stephen hawking tape loop ? Please ?

Why do you say that?

Because otherwise they'd probably be announcing it at WWDC like they did previously. I mean, sure, they could call an iPhone event a month later, but it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With the iPhone 4s selling so well I cannot see them bringing out a new phone out so early! They'll hang on as long a possible before replacing it.

Advertisement