Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Previous post reported. A very weird decision to make someone who posts like that a moderator of anything.

Anyway, can someone explain what digital cameras do that an iPhone or an Android device can't do? After all the software and OS on the phones are obviously much better. Is it all about the lens - you can buy lens adds for the iPhone or Android, devices. Slightly off topic, but I am interested.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

lol, you're awful defensive aren't you... I thought being such a technical expert you'd get the irony - and also how iphone camera's cannot really compare to proper SLR's for serious photographers.

Anyway, we digress.

Saw this today - thought it was interesting...

http://mashable.com/2012/07/06/isung/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_content=Google+International

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

There is no such phone as an iPhone 5 and until such times as one is announced by Cupertino and its name revealed, let's keep this discussion relative to what you would like to see in such a device or your hopes for both the hardware used and the software it will run on.

There is no need for anyone to resort to personal attacks or snides at any time, let alone about something that does not as yet exist.

Any more bickering or silly comments about being "forced to reply" in a narky way and I will reset all settings on this thread.

Catch yourselves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why? the iPhone has a good camera and good post processing software.
    annie leibovitz uses one.

It's a good Point & Shoot nothing more.

Lens quality comes nowhere near what an good SLR lens can.

It can't do Bokeh, you can't adjust shutter speed, aperture, ISO.....could go on and on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but if you love taking photos and videos then buy a real camera.
    As an avid SLR Camera user it makes me laugh when I hear people say they love photography and only have a camera phone (and I don't care how many megapixels it has!).

who said i only have a camera phone ?

i have a DSLR and yes, while i totally agree that it has far superior picture quality to my iphone camera, its just not practible to carry everywhere.

i dont want to carry my slr with me to the pub every friday night!

the iphone povides me with adequate quality when out at gigs and such when carrying an SLR is just silly. obviously when i'm at weddings and on safari i take my slr

plus the major added bonus that the iphone has is post production so i can actully shoot videos, edit them, apply a soundtrack and create a movie without transferring files to and from my pc.

what i asked for was a faster processor so that apps like iMovie can handle the post production better.

and while IMO the camera is great, i think there is always room for improvements (particularly the flash, i never said anything about mega pixels did i - there you go jumping to conclusions again)

and you can adjust shutter speed (Slowshutter) and there are a bunch of lens type apps too to provide fisheye effects etc.

IMO the iphone is a great tool for photography and video when you use it with the right apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

IMO the iphone is a great tool for photography and video when you use it with the right apps.

Most modern phone cameras are great now, the iPhone4+ is pretty good with AF and will give better photos than the average P&S ~

I often don't carry any cameras any more ~ I find it fascination how those tiny CMOS sensors and weeny lenses can perform as good as a 1D3MKIII or a 5D to 8x6" ~ I'd kind of reverse the question, why is my 1DMKIII or 5DMKII not as good as my iPhone in certain areas given the humongous CMOS on those cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

"the best camera is the one you have with you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

more than likely there will be a nice improvement in the ihpones camera alright this time around too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kenyard wrote: »
    more than likely there will be a nice improvement in the ihpones camera alright this time around too
    There needs to be.

Although the camera in the iPhone has been getting steadily better, the images are horribly noisy in low light and it's useless at anything moving except in bright daylight.

I've a DSLR too, but as Creamy Goodness says, you need it with you to use it - and I've two small kids so have enough baggage crap to be carrying about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Most modern phone cameras are great now, the iPhone4+ is pretty good with AF and will give better photos than the average P&S ~

I often don't carry any cameras any more ~ I find it fascination how those tiny CMOS sensors and weeny lenses can perform as good as a 1D3MKIII or a 5D to 8x6" ~ I'd kind of reverse the question, why is my 1DMKIII or 5DMKII not as good as my iPhone in certain areas given the humongous CMOS on those cameras.

Im sorry but thats fantasy , the sensor size in any phone , including the iphone is too small to take quality photos in low light , and low light photography means friends at parties weddings , and so on , the most common type of photo taken.

On any phone , blow shots like that up to a standard photo size and it looks like a mangled pizza. All they are good for is outdoor shots in broad daylight , and even then , the quality is only just good enough.

You will never see a pro photographer showing up for an assignment with just an iphone, and theres very very good reasons for that.

You cant change the laws of physics , cramming more pixels into a tiny sensor makes things worse , not better , the only reason it sells is because pixel count sells and people generally dont know any better.

The only way the phones in cameras are going to improve is with bigger sensors , the only way they will ever challenge a real camera for quality is when those sensors hit APS-C size or larger , and that is not likely in any phone.

For music , movies , photos , software work , etc. the iphone or any phone is simply the equivalent of a Swiss army knife. It is not the best at any of these tasks , it is not the recommended item for any of these tasks , but hey , its in your pocket and it might do at a push , thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm trying to decided between waiting for the iphone 5 or jumping ship to the HTC One X...mate has one and I'm pretty impressed with it...although I had a lot of fun slagging him about the non-removable battery as he called this out previously as a bad thing on the iphone..he he..;)
    I still have my ipad so I don't lose anything jumping ship etc but I'm eager to see what Apple announce in the new one.
    Quad-Core, 12 meg camera with led flash/low aperature for nightime etc, at least a 4 inch screen.
    More ram..512meg at least..not too concerned about storage as I find the 32gb is more than enough for me..I still have over 15 gb free on it as I don't store video on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Blazer wrote: »
    I'm trying to decided between waiting for the iphone 5 or jumping ship to the HTC One X...mate has one and I'm pretty impressed with it...although I had a lot of fun slagging him about the non-removable battery as he called this out previously as a bad thing on the iphone..he he..;)
    I still have my ipad so I don't lose anything jumping ship etc but I'm eager to see what Apple announce in the new one.
    Quad-Core, 12 meg camera with led flash/low aperature for nightime etc, at least a 4 inch screen.
    More ram..512meg at least..not too concerned about storage as I find the 32gb is more than enough for me..I still have over 15 gb free on it as I don't store video on it..

I'm the same Blazer - a great selection of top quality smart phones on offer now-a-days...I think I might hold off and wait to see what Apple have in store but unlike previous times, I will have no hesitation in switching to Android if I don't like what they present. (It'll probably be the HTC One X I'll go for too - great piece of kit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

tbh i updated to the galaxy 3 there and in terms of speed etc its nothing major.. camera is a clear improvement alright
    games too i guess.. runs gta 3 flawlessly and with connection to an xbox or playstation controller and tv possible its like a mobile games console which is cool too.

either way i cant see the iphone being higher spec that the phones on offer.. generally they dont be as high though the 4s was pretty decent.. will wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

There's a rumor going around now that Apple is going to have an announcement on 7 August and it's probably going to be about the iPhone... What do ye think?

niallharty wrote: »
    There's a rumor going around now that Apple is going to have an announcement on 7 August and it's probably going to be about the iPhone... What do ye think?

Hopefully so, this wait seems to be going on FOREVER! If it is the announcement though, we are probably looking at a Sept release for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have my money ready...:D

leemaree wrote: »

I can't see any video in this link? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Read that yesterday too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not going to happen. August is too soon. iOS 6 won't even be ready by then. It will probably be September/October again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have my money ready...:D

me too haha I have €700 ready as I don't like contracts... Think I'm going to switch to Three so I can get that €20 top up with free any network texts, unlimited data, free three calls and free any network calls at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This rumour appears to be traced back to a single report on one website based on a single insider source. So I'd take it with a large pinch of salt, there don't appear to be any corroberating rumours.

In the rumour's favour are the previous rumours about the launch being brought forward two months from October. Also, Apple's previous form is generally to hold such announcements at the start of the month, and on a Tuesday. The phones that have been announced at WWDC's have been announced at the keynote on the Monday, but the one-off announcements of the original iPhone and the 4S were made on a Tuesday.

Though it wouldn't exactly take a rocket scientist to pick the first Tuesday in August for their rumour.

In any case we won't know for two weeks as Apple only send invites to these things a week in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

Well iOS5 Beta 3 went out yesterday. If they were going to make the August 7 deadline, I reckon it'd have to have gone GM yesterday. It's a big ask to resolve any existing issues and go GM within a further week and then get the phones up to date and ship, all within 2-3 weeks.

What might happen is that they hold and even August 7 and say that the phone goes on sale 2 weeks later. They might have still time to pull it off then. My money is still on an October release tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

I can't say much but there will be an announcement on 7 aug and it is with regards to the iPhone 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

nope. See above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's no way the new iPhone is being released early next month, but I guess it's possible Apple might announce that it's going to have a larger 16:9 screen so that developers have time to get their apps ready. They probably would need a good month or two to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

There's no way the new iPhone is being released early next month, but I guess it's possible Apple might announce that it's going to have a larger 16:9 screen so that developers have time to get their apps ready. They probably would need a good month or two to do this.

Was just about to say this. It doesn't look like the rumour has any real evidence compared to some others but if they did schedule an event for Aug 7th then it would just be announcing the iPhone. Letting Dev's get their apps ready for the new screen ratio. We wouldn't see it released then till September/October. But even at that I'd be very surprised if the rumour is true.

Advertisement