Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DubDJ wrote: »
    I ordered the iPhone 4 launch day in Ireland and it shipped from Tamworth, UK. Same deal when I ordered the iPad 3 and ATV 3. Nothing has ever shipped from China. Once it went from 'Processing' to 'Preparing for shipment' from morning when it changed it took around 4 hours till I got a dispatch email and it changed to 'shipped'. Logged in, got my tracking no. and first it was 'Order Recieved by UPS' then it dispatched from Tamworth UK.

They get sent to Tanworth on pallets and then from there they get split up for people's orders, that's when it changes from 'Processing' to 'Preparing for Shipment'

Build to order computers ship in bulk on pallets from Asia, usually into Holland. If there are accessories to add, they go via Tamworth. If not they'll ship direct from Holland. They keep a supply of standard configurations in the UK, and that's normally next day delivery.
    The iPhones should ship via courier from Holland straight to Ireland, unless they have to have some accessories added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

whiterebel wrote: »
    Build to order computers ship in bulk on pallets from Asia, usually into Holland. If there are accessories to add, they go via Tamworth. If not they'll ship direct from Holland. They keep a supply of standard configurations in the UK, and that's normally next day delivery.
    The iPhones should ship via courier from Holland straight to Ireland, unless they have to have some accessories added

Yeah I ordered a BTO MacBook Pro and it came from China. But things like iPhones and iPads have always come from Tamworth for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

BTO Mac Pros are built in Cork

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

boreder wrote: »
    BTO Mac Pros are built in Cork

Correct, and if you live in Cork, and order a Mac Pro, it ships to the UK and then back to Cork.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

So its more comfortable, but your thumb is sore from holding it?:confused:

Yes, the shape of the phone is better. So if I werent to use the whole screen, then it would be better. Its just to tall for me.

I have two 'issues' with the phone. The odd time the screen doesnt respond or is inaccurate. Im not sure if thats the phone of the 'invisible shield'.

The second issue is that I sometimes have to wobble the charger a bit to get it to charge and the plug is very stiff in the plug sockets.

Anyone else like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ryan08

Ordered iphone 5 on release day. But desktop has just died. Anybody know if imac is getting update soon? Have to make a decision now

ryan08 wrote: »
    Ordered iphone 5 on release day. But desktop has just died. Anybody know if imac is getting update soon? Have to make a decision now

Yeah it's due an upgrade very soon. It's overdue at this stage. It most likely will be updated very soon. But nothing confirmed and no runours. Maybe try get your current one repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

mad muffin wrote: »
    I ordered mine with a micro USB lightning adaptor which ships 5-7 days yet estimated delivery for everything is 26 oct to 2 nov.

The micro USB adapter is supposed to be tiny. Wallet or something bigger is needed to keep it safe.

Apparently some workers striking in Foxconn due to pressure with iPhone 5.

Link

It's terrible what goes on in places like this. But at the same time these places pay a decent wage compared to others around China.

I'd gladly wait an extra week or two for my iPhone to give these people a break. Disgusting conditions but that's the reality I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

srumball wrote: »
    hey guys,

Will an unlocked iPhone 5 from Canada work over here?

Yup but not an LTE (whenever they roll it out in Ireland) You'd be getting the A1428 model and that only works on the NA bands for LTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

ryan08 wrote: »

Supposedly sometime this month, I too am holding our for the upgrade, my laptop is on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

It's terrible what goes on in places like this. But at the same time these places pay a decent wage compared to others around China.

I'd gladly wait an extra week or two for my iPhone to give these people a break. Disgusting conditions but that's the reality I suppose.

More on the register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/06/foxconn_iphone_factory_strike/

Apparently entire production is stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

More on the register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/06/foxconn_iphone_factory_strike/

Apparently entire production is stopped
    where have you read that? on the earlier link it said 4000 was only a small portion of their workforce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

guil wrote: »
    where have you read that? on the earlier link it said 4000 was only a small portion of their workforce

Also the people who stopped working were replaced with extra staff immediately.

Anyone else in the "Oct 24th-31st" delivery bracket?

Has anyone got anything earlier than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Paid 350 squids for the phone on thusday and I'm not dissapointed. I had an iphone 3gs before my last smartphone which was android but this just seems so much better. I have to admit i did feel like i was paying way too much for it when I bought it, but now I couldn't be happier with it :)

I'm seeing a lot of my apps being updated for the new iPhone 5 display. Been about 25-30 of my personal apps now being updated with iPhone 5 support as well as iOS 6 support.

By time I actually get the iPhone I'd say maybe 50% of the apps will be updated for the new screen. Which is pretty handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭finno

Aodhagan wrote: »

Yep i'm still in the 24th-31st bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cherylxxx2

mines 26th oct - 2nd nov :(

• Advertisement

cherylxxx2 wrote: »
    mines 26th oct - 2nd nov :(

I think we'll all get iPhones dispatched earlier than the given delivery dates anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's terrible what goes on in places like this. But at the same time these places pay a decent wage compared to others around China. .

Are you tempering that with the suicide rate? Apple pay in single figures in US $ for each iPhone from the factory.

Worker turnover is immense with many choosing to go back to the farm. You hot bunk, toilet & shower in public, eat, move to your work area where vicious supervisors may not allow you your individual toilet breaks, and may beat you.

You go back to the meal area, back to your bench and back to the hot bunk. And repeat the next shift; that's what the BBC found and aired recently as they investigated the suicide rate: other programmes went undercover, the BBC say they saw the 'good side'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

So I was looking around Dublin 2day and got to see a display model of the iPhone 5 in white. I have to say its so much nicer this time around in the white version that I'm thinking of changing my order on apple.ie to a white model. I ordered the black model last Friday.

Does anyone know if modifying my order will put me to the back of the line when they start shipping?.

BanjoB wrote: »
    So I was looking around Dublin 2day and got to see a display model of the iPhone 5 in white. I have to say its so much nicer this time around in the white version that I'm thinking of changing my order on apple.ie to a white model. I ordered the black model last Friday.

Does anyone know if modifying my order will put me to the back of the line when they start shipping?.

I saw the display iPhone 5 in white last Friday. I must admit it does look far better. Then again, I've had the white this time around and I'm going to stick with the black. I think it will be far more sleek and professional looking. (As long as it doesn't scratch too bad).

If you can't change the colour on the Order Status website ring Apple and see can they change it for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you can't change the colour on the Order Status website ring Apple and see can they change it for you.

Indeed it will, but if you want the white model then do it.

Order status page has been down for a few hours now.

Also something I've noticed is that when you go to order an iPhone 5 from the online store all you get is 3-4 weeks shipping & 3-7 days delivery once shipped - no longer is there an estimated delivery address like there was before.

Not sure what that means in terms of shipping times but it makes me think that they're getting seriously bogged down by orders and don't want to give specific dates in case they can't meet them.

UPDATE: IT'S ALL BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN. NO CHANGE IN SHIPPING DATES.

Your not able to modify the order. You have to canel and place it again. I'd say ring apple and see what they can do for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 badger86

Anyone else having the "Cannot Connect to i-tunes" problem when trying to download an app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Your not able to modify the order. You have to canel and place it again. I'd say ring apple and see what they can do for ya.

I'm actually gonna keep the black now. Got this case 2day in town.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/zoompic.aspx?i=234819

I liked the aluminum and white design so I can have the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement

I'm actually gonna keep the black now. Got this case 2day in town.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/zoompic.aspx?i=234819

I liked the aluminum and white design so I can have the best of both worlds.

I think the black iPhone is far nicer anyways. Your better off sticking to it.

Advertisement