Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

BanjoB wrote: »
    I'm actually gonna keep the black now. Got this case 2day in town.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/zoompic.aspx?i=234819

I liked the aluminum and white design so I can have the best of both worlds.

mmm..you really want the white, so instead of getting what you want , you get the black one and then a white cover to make it look white....

Why not just change the order to white...

I have the white one (had a black 4) and its stunning

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think the black iPhone is far nicer anyways. Your better off sticking to it.

Your opinion of course, but the person you're addressing prefers the white one so...sense that makes none :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

badger86 wrote: »
    Anyone else having the "Cannot Connect to i-tunes" problem when trying to download an app?
    Yes I'm having the same problem since yesterday tried everything hard reset siging out off App Store and back in again nothing works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Haven't used iOS in a while, is it still a pain installing apps, like does it automatically flip you back to the home screen after touching "Install App"? Meaning you have to go back into the app store again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Haven't used iOS in a while, is it still a pain installing apps, like does it automatically flip you back to the home screen after touching "Install App"? Meaning you have to go back into the app store again?

Not anymore with iOS 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

some apps i had on IOS5 i can't find on IOS6 any idea why that is , like skysportnews app for game results , isn't available when searching on IOS6

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

some apps i had on IOS5 i can't find on IOS6 any idea why that is , like skysportnews app for game results , isn't available when searching on IOS6
    Different accounts? I have an Irish and a US account and have to be logged into the right one to get certain apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Dades wrote: »
    Different accounts? I have an Irish and a US account and have to be logged into the right one to get certain apps.

nope just irish account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Well, i went and did it. I sold my 4s and bought an S3. I couldnt justify the 5 for the money (400 on a 12mth contract versus 250 for the S3) and with getting 300 for my 4s i'm up 50 quid. I have it a few days and its not so bad... and if i dont like it I only have to live with it for a year until the 5S comes out :D

oh well at least I still have my macbook/ipad 2/apple tv to fall back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Well, i went and did it. I sold my 4s and bought an S3. I couldnt justify the 5 for the money (400 on a 12mth contract versus 250 for the S3) and with getting 300 for my 4s i'm up 50 quid. I have it a few days and its not so bad... and if i dont like it I only have to live with it for a year until the 5S comes out :D

You'll be back... They always come back. MUAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

you're gonna hate it... and make sure and put a protective case on it...piss easy to break the screen on it :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have it a few days and its not so bad... and if i dont like it I only have to live with it for a year until the 5S comes out :D
    Please come back in a few weeks with your more measured thoughts! Would be interested to hear at that stage how you feel about the "shift". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Anyone know if any shops in Dublin have the white iPhone 5 on display? I would like to see a working demo of the white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Anyone know if any shops in Dublin have the white iPhone 5 on display? I would like to see a working demo of the white.

Three in Dundrum shopping centre definitely have the white on display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

L5 wrote: »
    Three in Dundrum shopping centre definitely have the white on display.

as do Three in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Jaysis its a long wait until the end of the month!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Jaysis its a long wait until the end of the month!! :P

I don't think I can wait any longer. I check the order status at least 10 times per day now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I log in occasionally every week to make sure everything's still the same as last time and the order is still ok. But I'll start checking sometime next week around Wednesday or Thursday for any changes to the actual phone shipping. Not expecting to hear anything this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

mad muffin wrote: »

Unfortunately true :(
    Went down the SGSIII route when the iPhone 4 took a bath in August.
    An awful lot of what I'd deem fundamental aspects have niggly annoyances with Android that is making me seriously consider buying the iP5 (maybe even the 4S).

Exchange ActiveSync - pure muck on Android. Push mail refused to work with the stock mail app. You can't push specific sub-folders, only the top level inbox. Had to purchase TouchDown which to be fair, is quite good, but still not quite up there with iOS - can be quite slow and if you read a mail in Outlook it doesn't automatically mark it read on the phone.

WiFi - turn on WiFi, mobile data gets turned off entirely. With iOS the mobile data was left on for background push and then you used WiFi for the foreground "bulky" stuff. Most WiFi hotspots allow only port 80 and 443 so most of the time the likes of Viber won't work while you have WiFi on whereas on iOS, this gets pushed over the mobile network as normal.

Lag - there's some very odd laggy issues still. Push the home button, the home screen can take up to 10 seconds to refresh itself. If you're downloading updates in the background or installing anything from the app store the phone seems to grind to a halt.

I'm holding on to see what Jellybean does as apparently that's supposed to make the whole UI far snappier but so far, I'm very tempted to shift back to iOS :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What's the wait time for ordering the 5 direct from Istore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Kensington wrote: »
    mad muffin wrote: »

Unfortunately true :(
    Went down the SGSIII route when the iPhone 4 took a bath in August.
    An awful lot of what I'd deem fundamental aspects have niggly annoyances with Android that is making me seriously consider buying the iP5 (maybe even the 4S).

Exchange ActiveSync - pure muck on Android. Push mail refused to work with the stock mail app. You can't push specific sub-folders, only the top level inbox. Had to purchase TouchDown which to be fair, is quite good, but still not quite up there with iOS - can be quite slow and if you read a mail in Outlook it doesn't automatically mark it read on the phone.

WiFi - turn on WiFi, mobile data gets turned off entirely. With iOS the mobile data was left on for background push and then you used WiFi for the foreground "bulky" stuff. Most WiFi hotspots allow only port 80 and 443 so most of the time the likes of Viber won't work while you have WiFi on whereas on iOS, this gets pushed over the mobile network as normal.

Lag - there's some very odd laggy issues still. Push the home button, the home screen can take up to 10 seconds to refresh itself. If you're downloading updates in the background or installing anything from the app store the phone seems to grind to a halt.

I'm holding on to see what Jellybean does as apparently that's supposed to make the whole UI far snappier but so far, I'm very tempted to shift back to iOS :(
    I've gone the opposite direction and find that certain little things in ios annoy me. Lack of punctuation on first page of keyboard is one. But overall it's very smooth and slick. Everything works properly and battery life is awesome compared to desire HD I had.

Deffo never experienced the hassle you are having though. Sounds like a rogue app is hogging your processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

Anyone else have an estimated ship time of 23-30th October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Calraigh B wrote: »
    Anyone else have an estimated ship time of 23-30th October?

I have 24th-31st, not too far behind you! I ordered the 16gb black at about 1.30 am the night it went up for order!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's the wait time for ordering the 5 direct from Istore?

Assuming you mean apple.ie then It's around 4-5 weeks.
    My battery life is actually getting better as the days go by now. 100% @ 8am and 55% now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

eggy81 wrote: »
    I've gone the opposite direction and find that certain little things in ios annoy me. Lack of punctuation on first page of keyboard is one. But overall it's very smooth and slick. Everything works properly and battery life is awesome compared to desire HD I had.

Deffo never experienced the hassle you are having though. Sounds like a rogue app is hogging your processor.

Nope, I've done a factory reset to rule out a dodgy app. Running latest Samsung stock firmware.
    Battery life is pretty damn good - on par with the previous iP4 - so it doesn't appear to be something chewing up the CPU.

I've seen reports elsewhere of the freezing up while downloading/installing stuff in the background so I don't seem to be alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Hmm Apple the pack of scanks. I just went to order a spare lightening to usb Cable. Happy days 19 Euro. Than I clicked on the add to basket and it jumped up by another 5 Euros to 25.15...FFS Day Light robbery....:mad:

5 Euro to deliver a bloody wire that weights less than a couple of ounces... :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: chomp chomp chomp up all your cash money. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kceire wrote: »
    Assuming you mean apple.ie then It's around 4-5 weeks.
    :eek:

I want it now. :p

If I order do they take all the cash from your credit card in one lump or do they do it closer to when the phone is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cherylxxx2

If I order do they take all the cash from your credit card in one lump or do they do it closer to when the phone is due?

I want it now too :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

I think with Credit Cards(MY Visa for example) they don't take it till the device ships.Some cards they take it out straight away just for checking the account,but then the put it back in your account till the device ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The wait is 3-4 weeks. And no the money isn't touched until you've actually received it. Although the limit on your CC is reduced by the cost of the iPhone as a previous poster said a while back. But it won't show up as a charge on your card.

Advertisement