Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I'm having a few problems. Sometimes the screen will not react when I touch it, more often nearer to the edge. It also doesn't always charge and I have to mess with it for a minute before I can get it to work. And when I connect it to my MacBook it says that it's drawing too much power so disables my USB port. It's only a new MacBook so either way its am apple problem.

My main fare is that if I call them to replace it I will be left with no phone while they wait on stock. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Darren mc

DylanII wrote: »
    I'm having a few problems. Sometimes the screen will not react when I touch it, more often nearer to the edge. It also doesn't always charge and I have to mess with it for a minute before I can get it to work. And when I connect it to my MacBook it says that it's drawing too much power so disables my USB port. It's only a new MacBook so either way its am apple problem.

My main fare is that if I call them to replace it I will be left with no phone while they wait on stock. . .

I've heard of this charging problem and pretty sure it's the lighting cable and not the phone itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Apple paying after getting caught trying to nab the Swiss Railway clock worth a read in particular the author's slant.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/12/apple_licenses_swiss_clock/

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Hey guys I was looking to get the iPhone 5 when all the hype died down (rather than sign up to a waiting list) But my current phone just shat itself so looks like i'll be needing a new one sooner than expected. I'm with vodafone and will be making a switch to Three or Meteor i'd say (still undecided) Does anyone know when i'll be able to walk into a shop and walk out with the phone? or will there always be a back log and i should just go put myself on a waiting list? I'm in Galway btw.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I got my iPhone 5 today. I happy with it overall, it's a nice step up from the 4, however the wi-fi reception is appalling. My there's one wall and about 20ft between my room and the router. With my old 4 I always got full bars of wi-fi signal, however with the 5 it's struggling to pick it up at all - very frustrating.

Is anyone else having this problem?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Flynn wrote: »
    Hey guys I was looking to get the iPhone 5 when all the hype died down (rather than sign up to a waiting list) But my current phone just shat itself so looks like i'll be needing a new one sooner than expected. I'm with vodafone and will be making a switch to Three or Meteor i'd say (still undecided) Does anyone know when i'll be able to walk into a shop and walk out with the phone? or will there always be a back log and i should just go put myself on a waiting list? I'm in Galway btw.

Cheers.

On Meteor, im nearly sure they have separate stock for new connections, so my advice would be to ring around a few stores and make sure you point out to them that you wish to port from another Network.

Also try calling them, my cousin upgraded his 2 accounts (him & Wife) on Thursday and he will have 2xblack 16gb delivered to him by Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

howya's lads

any one have any problems with the Gmail app cant get it to send me push notifications despite having it set up to alert me...

also when i downloaded it the app never asked me would i like to have push notifications sent to the phone either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Flynn wrote: »
    Does anyone know when i'll be able to walk into a shop and walk out with the phone? or will there always be a back log and i should just go put myself on a waiting list?

TBH I walked in and walked out on launch day with an iphone5 on bill pay with meteor (Dublin)

Had a bit a of a queue but part from that, no issue, not sure what its like now but should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

ryan08 wrote: »
    I have rang a load of shops (vodafone) and not one of them have the iphone 5 and most of them have waiting lists too, not really helpful either. Even pm a vodafone rep called Darren and he didn't seem to want to help either

What can they do, in fairness?
    They can't secure stock if it's not forthcoming.

Try order directly from Apple and you're looking at mid-November before you'll have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

ryan08 wrote: »
    I have rang a load of shops (vodafone) and not one of them have the iphone 5 and most of them have waiting lists too, not really helpful either. Even pm a vodafone rep called Darren and he didn't seem to want to help either

Quite strange that. Vodafone actually rang me 10 days ago and offered me an upgrade to the iphone5 for €125. It was couriered to me within 2 days. Love it by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have rang a load of shops (vodafone) and not one of them have the iphone 5 and most of them have worderg lists too, not really helpful either. Even pm a vodafone rep called Darren and he didn't seem to want to help either

What exactly do you expect them to do?

They can't make any more appear out of thin air. They can only say that they are due some more in soon, but are totally reliant on Apple to fullfil the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I would HATE to be working in a phone shop / network around iPhone mania time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I would HATE to be working in a phone shop / network around iPhone mania time!

I work in o2, and to be honest over the last week we've had more and more people coming in asking about both the S3 and iphone 5. People seem to be asking more and more about which is better and more suited to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ryan08

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have rang a load of shops (vodafone) and not one of them have the iphone 5 and most of them have worderg lists too, not really helpful either. Even pm a vodafone rep called Darren and he didn't seem to want to help either

What exactly do you expect them to do?

They can't make any more appear out of thin air. They can only say that they are due some more in soon, but are totally reliant on Apple to fullfil the order.

Read what I was saying! I understand that they are out of stock! I just rang a few shops to try see what kind of plan or that I would be able to get but they didn't seem to want to give any help just wanted to get off the phone. I finally got through to a shop where the girl was helpful and wanted to help so she put my name down to be notified. You don't have to be ignorant to people who are just asking a question or two. And I was glad I found someone who was very helpful is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

moggser wrote: »
    howya's lads

any one have any problems with the Gmail app cant get it to send me push notifications despite having it set up to alert me...

also when i downloaded it the app never asked me would i like to have push notifications sent to the phone either

instead of using the app set up gmail as an exchange account...

exchange server: m.google.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Blazer wrote: »
    moggser wrote: »
    howya's lads

instead of using the app set up gmail as an exchange account...

exchange server: m.google.com

Yeah I could do but don't really like using that... More curious as to why it's not working in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

On Grafton st at the moment and can't find any shop that has the 5 on display that I can pick up and look at (besides the 3 shop that had the white one bolted to the table).

Pure madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mad muffin wrote: »
    On Grafton st at the moment and can't find any shop that has the 5 on display that I can pick up and look at (besides the 3 shop that had the white one bolted to the table).

Pure madness.

The Meteor store on North Earl Street (near Dunnes Stores and Boyers) has the black iPhone 5 on display and actually powered on too. I was using it about a week ago. The other bigger Meteor store up the road on Henry street has the same black iPhone 5 but it wasn't powered on both times I was in there. Check them out if your around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

When using the radio apps (Today FM & 2FM) the service keeps stopping every 30-40 seconds.

Anyone else having this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

When using the radio apps (Today FM & 2FM) the service keeps stopping every 30-40 seconds.

Anyone else having this issue?
    Yes!

Maybe bump that thread with your experience. Particularly trying to find out if it's an iOS 6 or and iPhone 5 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

Dades wrote: »
    Yes!

Maybe bump that thread with your experience. Particularly trying to find out if it's an iOS 6 or and iPhone 5 issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

DubDJ wrote: »
    The Meteor store on North Earl Street (near Dunnes Stores and Boyers) has the black iPhone 5 on display and actually powered on too. I was using it about a week ago. The other bigger Meteor store up the road on Henry street has the same black iPhone 5 but it wasn't powered on both times I was in there. Check them out if your around that area.

Thanks. Got to see one in the flesh there. It's more beautiful than I ever hoped :eek:

Yeah it still wasn't powered on in the other one :rolleyes:

I wonder if Apple cares that hardly any shop has them on display and every shop has a white and blue SGIII that you can play with.

Probably not, but still...

All the Apple stores have them fully powered up with internet access etc so you can pick it up and play around with it.
    Apple can't force carriers to display it like this..and besides...which would you rob if you were a scumbag? an iphone? or a samsung yoke?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

I recently switched to Vodafone bill pay from PAYG simply to purchase the latest iPhone 5, i paid €249 for the phone and signed a 2 year contract for €37.50 per month.
    I brought the phone home and it was in perfect working order but when i went to an area with no coverage 'no service' was up on the phone for hours on end, returned the phone the following day to the same vodafone store and they changed the nano sim saying the original was probably faulty, it worked fine in the shop but again when i went to an area of poor coverage it would not reconnect so 'no service' was back again,spent an age on my home phone(vodafone aswell) to customer care who advised me to take out the sim for 5mins and put it in again which i did, in doing so i damaged a tiny bit of plastic on the sim holder about 1.5mm you can hardly see it even. I returned to the same store the following day (23miles away) and explained my case they said the phone must be faulty so they'd need to get it sent off to their engineer to verify the fault or repair it, i asked for a new replacement iphone which they didnt have in stock, fair enough and i asked was i entitled to a full refund which i was told i would be entitled to only if the fault was verified by their engineer.
    Anyway a week later i get a call from the Vodafone store saying my phone is ready for collection but because there is physical damage to the sim holder my warranty is now void so the phone wasn't fixed at all.
    Lads can anyone please advise me what to do next, what am i entitled to etc? Can anyone from Vodafone help me out on here? Whatever about the damage to the sim holder you cant even see it no matter how hard you look i just want the phone in proper working order.
    Thanks very much to anyone that can give me some advice, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I recently switched to Vodafone bill pay from PAYG simply to purchase the latest iPhone 5, i paid €249 for the phone and signed a 2 year contract for €37.50 per month.
    I brought the phone home and it was in perfect working order but when i went to an area with no coverage 'no service' was up on the phone for hours on end, returned the phone the following day to the same vodafone store and they changed the nano sim saying the original was probably faulty, it worked fine in the shop but again when i went to an area of poor coverage it would not reconnect so 'no service' was back again,spent an age on my home phone(vodafone aswell) to customer care who advised me to take out the sim for 5mins and put it in again which i did, in doing so i damaged a tiny bit of plastic on the sim holder about 1.5mm you can hardly see it even. I returned to the same store the following day (23miles away) and explained my case they said the phone must be faulty so they'd need to get it sent off to their engineer to verify the fault or repair it, i asked for a new replacement iphone which they didnt have in stock, fair enough and i asked was i entitled to a full refund which i was told i would be entitled to only if the fault was verified by their engineer.
    Anyway a week later i get a call from the Vodafone store saying my phone is ready for collection but because there is physical damage to the sim holder my warranty is now void so the phone wasn't fixed at all.
    Lads can anyone please advise me what to do next, what am i entitled to etc? Can anyone from Vodafone help me out on here? Whatever about the damage to the sim holder you cant even see it no matter how hard you look i just want the phone in proper working order.
    Thanks very much to anyone that can give me some advice, cheers.

You could buy a replacement Sim Tray? I remember buying them for the Iphone4 a few years back

Excellent very in-depth review on the Iphone 5 and very impressing about it's CPU and what Apple did with it.
    I wasn't very impressed with the specs when it came out first but later on reading more indepth on it and actually holding it in my hands you realize that Apple did a fantastic job building it...just a pity about the scuffgate though :( but I'm one of these people who'd have to have a case for it so wouldn't bother me too much.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review

You could buy a replacement Sim Tray? I remember buying them for the Iphone4 a few years back

Ordered one as soon as i damaged it, still waiting for delivery. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Ordered one as soon as i damaged it, still waiting for delivery. Thanks.

But isn't the device serial number embedded on the SIM card tray?

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    But isn't the device serial number embedded on the SIM card tray?

That screws that idea so. Would i be wasting my time sending this phone back to apple do you think?

Advertisement