Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

Launched on the 7th, released in the states the next day and we will have it 2 weeks later.
    It's got a nano sim also btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    Launched on the 7th, released in the states the next day and we will have it 2 weeks later.

I'll be sure to bookmark this and have a little chuckle on the 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

_ricochet_ wrote: »

if you were told this by apple did they not get you to sign a non disclosure agreement or did you find out from another source ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

He is obviously taking the piss lads. It will have a nano sim should have been the give away for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

I know with anonymity here me confirming what he/she said doesn't mean much but Apple have given the same info to all mobile network who are geared to stock the iPhone 5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Mr.S wrote: »
    "anonymity" on a public internet forum where the admin's can see your IP etc etc etc :confused:;)

Not a chance in hell its getting released that soon with no word:)
    An ip address can't be used to identify anyone unless they have previously registered, it gets harder again if someone is with Eircom, loads of users can show up as being logged in with x ip, its not just with eircom either but it's just the example I gave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mad muffin wrote: »

I think it's going to be close enough to this. The runours seem too widespread for them to be fake. And lately the rumour sites have been spot on. The micro dock and moved headphone port were said to be a new design feature too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think it's going to be close enough to this. The runours seem too widespread for them to be fake. And lately the rumour sites have been spot on. The micro dock and moved headphone port were said to be a new design feature too.
    Front camera is in a better position too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i was kinda hoping for a kinda tweeked design for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think I may sell my iPhone 4 and upgrade. A friend is looking to buy an iPhone at the moment, but that would leave me with quite a long time before the 5 comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kceire wrote: »
    i was kinda hoping for a kinda tweeked design for some reason?

Tweaks = small changes, and that's what it appears to have.

Still don't no what people were expecting.

Not as if the galaxy S3 is radically different in design from the S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Looks bland, boring and same-oldey. I'll be very surprised if this is the real thing.

Think I'll stick to my SGS2 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

If that is the design it's the internals which will sell it. Of course there is only so much you can do with an iPhone design. I preferred a bit more roundly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm one of those annoying people who are constantly waiting for that phone around the corner, and as such I've been stuck with a sony x10 for about 2 years. I'm tempted to make the jump from android to ios if only for the amount of apps/accessories that come with ios devices. In saying that, I have ice cream sandwich on my touchpad and i really like that operating system, so I could just wait for the new nexus devices.

BAH! And they say choice is a good thing....

I've a feeling the hype on this phone is gonna be bigger then the actual phone itself. People are expecting too much. I honestly can't think of any major features they might add. I think now is a good time to add NFC but I just don't see Apple adding it. I loved the iPhone 4 when I first saw it and still love the design so I'd be happy enough if they didn't stray too far from it.

I've a feeling we'll get the phone from the previous photos with a few spec bumps. And all the Android heads will go on about how small an update it is and how Apple are being left behind and cant innovate even though the recent S3 update was a small update with nothing major. They always seem to overlook facts like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Feeling slightly under-awed by this. Given that the design is now a few years old was hoping for something a bit more radical. A bigger screen and slightly more oomph don't really excite me the ways the 4 did when it came out (and i bought one on launch day). Then again coupled with iOS6 it might be a killer package.

Guess its wait a while and see what happens, but the SIII is looking very nice in comparison. That does mean leaving the comfort of my iOS ecosystem, but the change might be worth it.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

even though the recent S3 update was a small update with nothing major. They always seem to overlook facts like that.

Yeah, apart from the screen, processor, battery, body etc. the S3 wasn't an update at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Yeah, apart from the screen, processor, battery, body etc. the S3 wasn't an update at all :rolleyes:

Don't forget the camera :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Tweaks = small changes, and that's what it appears to have.

Still don't no what people were expecting.

Not as if the galaxy S3 is radically different in design from the S2.

I guess i was just looking for a good reason to change as when i went from the 3GS to the 4.
    i didnt get the 4S, as i said every second update may be financially possible, but i'll still get the 5 either way tbh as im out of contract and will get it when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The design looks OK to me. I'm not 100% convinced that they're authentic parts, but maybe copies. Some of it just doesn't look slick enough for Apple - the back in particular, looks like it has a black sticker across the top and bottom. I always did like the look of the iP4 anyway, so a slight tweak would keep me happy. I actually like the idea of a one-piece back.

In reality, how many ways can you redesign a phone? It needs to stick within certain parameters. The move from the round form of the first iPhones to the more square iP4 was quite logical - you can make the absolute thickness of the phone slightly smaller, but actually give yourself more room to fit in components because you're not dealing with curves and angles.

even though the recent S3 update was a small update with nothing major. They always seem to overlook facts like that.

Like when the 4S came out with an updated processor, camera, antenna, battery? And all I could see online was how bad an upgrade it was. Just because they didn't change the form factor and only internal aspects. That meant they were fallin behind the rest. I was waiting for the backlash after the S3 announcement and there wasn't any. Even though it wasn't a redical change from the previous gen.

curves are actually better for apple, they have patents for curved layers of batteries stacking on top of eachother, not sure if they've used it in production yet but they have quite a few curve related patents for maximizing space used while still keeping really thin edges, like the macbook air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I like the look of those pics. I don't know what to do at the moment though. I have an iPhone 4 which is painfully slow at the moment. After playing with a nexus with Jellybean, I was blown away by the speed of it and the smoothness so i'm tempted to sell the iPhone and try out Android. If I wasn't happy, the iPhone 5 isn't that far away....

I have noticed my ip4 slow down a lot recently too, it was completely fine until very recently and now scrolling on long webpages lags, and I've had a lot of app crashes, although it's mostly the facebook app which is downright terrible. Restoring now, hope it's fixed but I think it's time for me to upgrade to the 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Soarer

Noticed it too!

Weird! Especially notice it when I double-tap to zoom in on an area of a webpage, like page numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have noticed my ip4 slow down a lot recently too, it was completely fine until very recently and now scrolling on long webpages lags, and I've had a lot of app crashes, although it's mostly the facebook app which is downright terrible. Restoring now, hope it's fixed but I think it's time for me to upgrade to the 5

Let me know if it makes any difference for you. Was considering doing it, but it is a lot of hassle :rolleyes::P

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    Let me know if it makes any difference for you. Was considering doing it, but it is a lot of hassle :rolleyes::P

Yes and no. Some things seem a bit quicker, but facebook still scrolls horribly and webpages are delayed too. Not worth the effort really at all..

Advertisement