Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yes and no. Some things seem a bit quicker, but facebook still scrolls horribly and webpages are delayed too. Not worth the effort really at all..

Thanks for that. Don't think i'll bother so. Maybe I will give the darkside a try and get a S3 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Facebook is a web app, they scroll differently anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Facebook is a web app, they scroll differently anyway.

I mean scrolling on the facebook app is choppy, including the client side interface on the left, and double tapping on an already loaded element on a webpage is also delayed and choppy looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

BDJW wrote: »
    I like the look of those pics. I don't know what to do at the moment though. I have an iPhone 4 which is painfully slow at the moment. After playing with a nexus with Jellybean, I was blown away by the speed of it and the smoothness so i'm tempted to sell the iPhone and try out Android. If I wasn't happy, the iPhone 5 isn't that far away....

I had an android for a while and it was very fast for the first week or two and then started slowing down, getting worse and worse every day.

Not sure why your iPhone is slow though, my friends have 4's and they are all still quite quick. I have a 4S myself and it blazes but it is dual core...

I mean scrolling on the facebook app is choppy, including the client side interface on the left, and double tapping on an already loaded element on a webpage is also delayed and choppy looking

I think he meant that the facebook app is actually a web app with a wrapper. What you see in the main window is a webpage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

TBi wrote: »
    I think he meant that the facebook app is actually a web app with a wrapper. What you see in the main window is a webpage.

Yeah I understand how it works, I was just saying that even the client side element of the app, which will load regardless of an internet connection, is unresponsive and laggy for me

Yeah I understand how it works, I was just saying that even the client side element of the app, which will load regardless of an internet connection, is unresponsive and laggy for me

Not the most responsive on a 4S either. I think this is more a case of bad programming on facebooks side than a problem with your iPhone. I've so many other apps that run smoothly and this is the only one that gives issue.

Also on my WP7 i used facebook in the 'people' hub and it was very quick and responsive while the WP7 facebook app was slow and laggy. Again probably the facebook programmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

A September announcement for the new gen iPhone seems very likely. AllThingsD just posted a similar story to the other rumour sites on a September 12th unveiling. They usually have the inside scoop. I thought it would've been announced in October personally. The sooner the better anyway, I need to upgrade soon, mainly because 32GB doesn't cut it anymore. In desperate need of more storage. If it is announced early September I think it could be 4 - 6 weeks till it actually ships. If the rumours of a larger screen are true anyways. Developers need time to optimize their apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Smiegal

I changed from 3GS to HTC Sensation 18 months ago for battery reasons and Christ was it a bad move!! HTC has way to much going on for its poor little battery to deal with. So have been really looking forward to the IPhone 5. However, all this talk of a bigger screen is all well and good but has there been any reliable talk of this being backed up by an improved battery? After all, improving everything on a phone whilst not touching the power source is a waste of time in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The facebook app is just crap :(

• Advertisement

Smiegal wrote: »
    I changed from 3GS to HTC Sensation 18 months ago for battery reasons and Christ was it a bad move!! HTC has way to much going on for its poor little battery to deal with. So have been really looking forward to the IPhone 5. However, all this talk of a bigger screen is all well and good but has there been any reliable talk of this being backed up by an improved battery? After all, improving everything on a phone whilst not touching the power source is a waste of time in my opinion...

I'd say they will improve battery life. Look at the new iPad. They upgraded it to support the Retina screen and only adding a small bit of thickness. They've had over 2 years since the original iPhone 4 to work on the battery here's hoping it's been a productive 2 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mad muffin wrote: »
    I still dont believe this is the next iPhone.
    I wish I believed the same.

I'll be disgusted if they just make the screen longer and stretch the existing phone. I want a small width increase. An increase in the screen height isn't going to make webpages or articles any more readable.

What annoys me more, is no matter what, I'll be trying to get one on launch day, as my iP4 is two years old now and slowing - but I really can't bear to leave iOS.

Only an FM Radio will dampen the inevitable disappointment. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ranelite wrote: »
    What a rubbish article...

"The iPhone has externally remained unchanged in nearly five years - the new phone is expected to be very different" and then has a photo of a 3 or a 3Gs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I'll be in the USA the month of Sept so hopefully the announcement dates are right. Plus flying back through London so if I'm impressed with the new iPhone may gets a later flight and get underground into Apple Store in central London.

But that is a lot of If's at this stage....

If it's not sold out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I'll be in the USA the month of Sept so hopefully the announcement dates are right. Plus flying back through London so if I'm impressed with the new iPhone may gets a later flight and get underground into Apple Store in central London.

I don't get ya.

If, as you say, you're going to be in the USA the month of September, then why wouldn't you get it in an Apple Store there instead of paying through the nose for it in London, disrupting your flights to boot and adding even more to the real cost?

culabula wrote: »
    I don't get ya.

If, as you say, you're going to be in the USA the month of September, then why wouldn't you get it in an Apple Store there instead of paying through the nose for it in London, disrupting your flights to boot and adding even more to the real cost?

You cannot buy the iPhone sim free from Apple Store in USA, all iPhones tied to mobile phone contract. To buy it through a third party seller they add on their own premium making the phone on par with the same price here or in UK.

No probs with changing my flight in London & handy journey in on the Tube.

Maybe if im lucky Apple will change their policy in USA and sell the the iPhone sim free!

You cannot buy the iPhone sim free from Apple Store in USA, all iPhones tied to mobile phone contract. To buy it through a third party seller they add on their own premium making the phone on par with the same price here or in UK.

No probs with changing my flight in London & handy journey in on the Tube.

Maybe if im lucky Apple will change their policy in USA and sell the the iPhone sim free!

Apple have been selling SIM-free iPhones in the USA for around two years now.

That's news to me but good news :D

Hopefully they release new iPhone when I'm over there so...thanks for the info!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That's news to me but good news :D

Hopefully they release new iPhone when I'm over there so...thanks for the info!
    Apple have been selling SIM-free iPhones in the USA for around two years now.

They have, however, the sim free versions have not been available upon release. I don't recall exactly what the delay was but I think it was around two months after the ip4s was released last year.

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    They have, however, the sim free versions have not been available upon release. I don't recall exactly what the delay was but I think it was around two months after the ip4s was released last year.

That may no longer be the case and worth checking given the amount of money that could be saved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That may no longer be the case and worth checking given the amount of money that could be saved.

It's certainly worth checking.

I will defo be checking during my stay, thanks again for the info....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

murpho999 wrote: »

Not as if the galaxy S3 is radically different in design from the S2.

You mean beside the shape, curve, screen, touch and size?

9To5Mac has said that the September 12th announcement has been confirmed by Apple's sources to 5 different publications. And that a September 21st release date is likely too. I didn't expect it this soon at all. But I suppose the 4S wasn't a big change so they've had plenty of time to work on a new design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My money is ready. I just hope it's not that two tone. Why would they make the black gun metal grey with black bits and a gun metal bezel with a black front.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For the antenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

For the antenna.

Indeed, but why the multi colours?

Why not all black for the back and a stainless steele colour for the bezel?

The white one will be stainless steele back and bezel with white top and bottom.

I just don't see apple designing it in such a fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Also for people who buy their phones from the States (4S and I'm assuming the new one) if it breaks it cannot be replaced by Apple in Ireland as the radios are slightly different, it has to be sent back to North America. Apparently this is the first time that they have done this with the phone.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Indeed, but why the multi colours?

Probably so you can tell it apart from looking at it. I.E. you can see who is cool/rich enough to have the newest iPhone. If it was taller but same back as before then people couldn't 'show off' their latest and greatest.

Maybe too many people complained that the 4S wasn't different enough from the 4?

Advertisement