Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Also for people who buy their phones from the States (4S and I'm assuming the new one) if it breaks it cannot be replaced by Apple in Ireland as the radios are slightly different, it has to be sent back to North America. Apparently this is the first time that they have done this with the phone.

Haven't heard this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Also for people who buy their phones from the States (4S and I'm assuming the new one) if it breaks it cannot be replaced by Apple in Ireland as the radios are slightly different, it has to be sent back to North America. Apparently this is the first time that they have done this with the phone.

What radios?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

culabula wrote: »
    Haven't heard this before.

I found out in an Apple store over here in Canada.

Maybe radios is the wrong term but I was talking to their genius after getting my regular 4 replaced and he was telling me it was lucky I had a 4 as if it were a 4S they'd have to send it back to Apple Ireland to have it replaced as the models are slightly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I found out in an Apple store over here in Canada.

Maybe radios is the wrong term but I was talking to their genius after getting my regular 4 replaced and he was telling me it was lucky I had a 4 as if it were a 4S they'd have to send it back to Apple Ireland to have it replaced as the models are slightly different.

Just because they are a 'genius' doesn't make them correct...

The whole point of the 4S is that it is a global phone, there is no reason why apple would produce a different version for different zones when one will work everywhere. It would just cost more for no good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Didn't Verizon models need a different radio chip?

Edit: for the 4

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-01-11/tech/30057882_1_cdma-roaming-gsm-iphone

• Advertisement

Didn't Verizon models need a different radio chip?

Only in the 4, the 4S works on both but I hear you can't put an AT&T (or Irish) phone on Verizon because Verizon won't let you (Verizon don't use SIMs). You can however put a Verizon phone on AT&T (or Irish) by just putting a sim in it.

TBi wrote: »
    Just because they are a 'genius' doesn't make them correct...

The whole point of the 4S is that it is a global phone, there is no reason why apple would produce a different version for different zones when one will work everywhere. It would just cost more for no good reason.

Well I'm sure this is what he was told, he was hardly making it up as it made no difference to our transaction.

Well I'm sure this is what he was told, he was hardly making it up as it made no difference to our transaction.

Well according to all available information online he is wrong.

Again, just because he was told by another 'genius' does not make the other genius right either.

More than likely the issue was a warranty one but as i said, all 4S's all over the world are identical (bar different colours/different memory size).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Am sure he wasn't making it up but am equally sure he was misinformed. How would American visitors to our shores fare with their different radio chips?

culabula wrote: »
    Am sure he wasn't making it up but am equally sure he was misinformed. How would American visitors to our shores fare with their different radio chips?

I'm equally sure i agree with you! Very misinformed!

No idea, probably wouldn't. One of the biggest issues with the Nokia Lumia 800. It's amazing when you think that Apple got it right all the way back to the first iPhone (for GSM networks anyway) while Nokia has been making phones for years but couldn't make a world phone (CDMA excluded).

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm not being clear? The phone itself will work no bother, but if I were to have a 4S (bought in Ireland) and bring it in to the store in Canada when there's trouble with it, and it has to be replaced then they are unable to do that as it has to be replaced in Europe.

Well the models aren't different, however the warranty might be treated differently. I accept that. Although apple have always been good on warranty, it's strange that they would treat warranty repair on 4 and 4s differently. I still think the genius was misinformed about all this (different models/warranty issues/radio differences).

TBi wrote: »
    Well the models aren't different, however the warranty might be treated differently. I accept that. Although apple have always been good on warranty, it's strange that they would treat warranty repair on 4 and 4s differently. I still think the genius was misinformed about all this (different models/warranty issues/radio differences).

Ok, again I could just be mis-remembering. But I remember him stating how it was weird because, as you said, Apple have always been fine with worldwide warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If I were to have a 4S (bought in Ireland) and bring it in to the store in Canada when there's trouble with it, and it has to be replaced then they are unable to do that as it has to be replaced in Europe.

My mate has his Irish iPhone replaced in Australia over the counter in an Apple Store. Don't know what that chap was saying about having to send it back to Europe because thats rubbish!

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    Launched on the 7th, released in the states the next day and we will have it 2 weeks later.
    It's got a nano sim also btw.
    I'll be sure to bookmark this and have a little chuckle on the 7th.

Today is d-day. Can't wait to see the new phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is there an Apple event scheduled for today?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So apparently they are taking youtube away. Also this mini dock connector is ridiculous - will leave a lot of people pissed off that their docks and cables won't fit. Any why could they not just have gone Micro USB like everyone else?

Anyone want to have any guesses as to what the main feature will be that they will revolve all the "Revolutionary" and "This changes everything" whohaa around?

More of this type of thing I'm sure! :pac:

&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

can someone remove the trolls.

can someone remove the trolls.

What? Leave us to have meaningful, intellectual and thoughtful debates on topics? You must be joking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don't see the problem with changing the connector.

There is a 100% chance of an adaptor being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Zascar wrote: »
    So apparently they are taking youtube away. Also this mini dock connector is ridiculous - will leave a lot of people pissed off that their docks and cables won't fit. Any why could they not just have gone Micro USB like everyone else?

Anyone want to have any guesses as to what the main feature will be that they will revolve all the "Revolutionary" and "This changes everything" whohaa around?

More of this type of thing I'm sure! :pac:

&

those ads remind me of the build up the Galaxy S3 got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Zascar wrote: »

I'm not 100%. But I thought the difference between standard USB Cables and Apples own designs is the Micro USB can only transfer data whereas Apples 30 pin dock (and the new micro dock) will transfer data, audio & video.

For example you can sit your iPad in the dock and play music without the need for an extra cable in the headphone port. Also you can get a dock connector to HDMI cable and mirror your iPhone to your TV. I assumed that's why Apple include them rather than a standard Micro USB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm not 100%. But I thought the difference between standard USB Cables and Apples own designs is the Micro USB can only transfer data whereas Apples 30 pin dock (and the new micro dock) will transfer data, audio & video.

For example you can sit your iPad in the dock and play music without the need for an extra cable in the headphone port. Also you can get a dock connector to HDMI cable and mirror your iPhone to your TV. I assumed that's why Apple include them rather than a standard Micro USB.

Again Apple has you fooled into thinking they invented something when they didn't, they just took something that is common and re-invented it to make it so un-standard you'd think it was an entirely new product.

You can mirror most phones with a micro usb port to a HDTV once you use a Micro USB HDMI adapter. (there cheap)

Apple are just trying to be different. There not different, there just being oddballs.

Again Apple has you fooled into thinking they invented something when they didn't, they just took something that is common and re-invented it to make it so un-standard you'd think it was an entirely new product.

You can mirror most phones with a micro usb port to a HDTV once you use a Micro USB HDMI adapter. (there cheap)

Apple are just trying to be different. There not different, there just being oddballs.

I didn't say they invented the idea or the technology. I referred to the dock connector as Apples design because it is. Micro USB cables on their own don't support anything more than Data and Power AFAIK. Whereas Apple's cable does. Also a point to note is the Micro USB cable wasn't announced until a few weeks before the original iPhone was announced. And wasn't released until a few months after that. So the cable didn't even exist for Apple to add it to the iPhone, and the 30 pin had already been on the iPod's for some time.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I didn't say they invented the idea or the technology. I referred to the dock connector as Apples design because it is. Micro USB cables on their own don't support anything more than Data and Power AFAIK. Whereas Apple's cable does. Also a point to note is the Micro USB cable wasn't announced until a few weeks before the original iPhone was announced. And wasn't released until a few months after that. So the cable didn't even exist for Apple to add it to the iPhone, and the 30 pin had already been on the iPod's for some time.

I find it best (although sometimes very hard to) ignore comments like the one you are replying too. Some people have very strong opinions on the matter, and they are not all correct.

I think the dock connector is fantastic on the iPhone. It's great to plug in one cable in the car which can charge it, play quality audio from it and in some cases allow you to control it from the built in radio/steering wheel controls. It's one of the things i really missed when i got a WP7 phone.

I hope the new one allows the same functionality, especially the audio and remote control through the cable. If not i'll be thinking twice about iPhone5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Some renders from Gizmodo - http://gizmodo.com/5932571/this-is-how-the-iphone-5-would-look-in-your-hand

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

I quite like the black...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

No Google maps
    YouTube gone?
    Radio?
    Pokey little screens?
    Apple-can-do-no-wrong worshippers.
    Apple sexuals

Time to dump this mad world of Apple and that 4S of mine and bring on the S3 or Note II (I really do not want a smartfone and a tablet).

OK there's business and there's competitors, but Apple does seem to want to throw its toys out of it's trendy and beautiful pram. I can only imagine the hate, bitterness and gnashing of teeth in the Apple board room.

I can also imagine that a lot of recently converted Apples (like moi) will move away in droves from the Apple 5 (or whatever it will be called).

pfurey101 wrote: »
    No Google maps
    YouTube gone?
    Radio?
    Pokey little screens?
    Apple-can-do-no-wrong worshippers.
    Apple sexuals

Time to dump this mad world of Apple and that 4S of mine and bring on the S3 or Note II (I really do not want a smartfone and a tablet).

OK there's business and there's competitors, but Apple does seem to want to throw its toys out of it's trendy and beautiful pram. I can only imagine the hate, bitterness and gnashing of teeth in the Apple board room.

I can also imagine that a lot of recently converted Apples (like moi) will move away in droves from the Apple 5 (or whatever it will be called).

Just to reply - yes there will be a Google Maps and YouTube app. Designed by Google an updated more frequently so it's a good thing. Radio - I have an app for but I never use personally but I'm sure others would. And as for the screen that's a matter of personal choice. If apple announce anything over a 4" screen I don't think I'll be buying. For me a bigger screen doesn't equal a better phone. I think those huge 4.5" screens on phones look ridiculous. And Apple has done a lot of wrong. It's only in recent years that they've started to get things right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

According to some Chinese newspaper that claims to have gotten their hands on the enclosure, the measurements are:

58.47 mm wide, 123.83 mm high and 7.6 mm thin

That would make it quite a bit thinner than the iPhone 4/S and just a bit taller. A user in the Macrumor comments did the math and said this would mean a 12.5 percent reduction in volume compared to the 4/S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

pfurey101 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Ok...bye

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement