Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

According to some Chinese newspaper that claims to have gotten their hands on the enclosure, the measurements are:

58.47 mm wide, 123.83 mm high and 7.6 mm thin

That would make it quite a bit thinner than the iPhone 4/S and just a bit taller. A user in the Macrumor comments did the math and said this would mean a 12.5 percent reduction in volume compared to the 4/S.
    7.6mm thin :eek: that'll do pig, that'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

DubDJ wrote: »
    And as for the screen that's a matter of personal choice. If apple announce anything over a 4" screen I don't think I'll be buying.

+1

Nothing looks as stupid as these huge phones taking up half your face when using them. I too would never buy a phone with a screen larger than 4" and I think the current screen size on the 4S is perfectly adequate.

It is not so long ago that the drive from phone manufacturers was to make phones as small as possible. Now it is going the other way and Samsung are taking this to ridiculous lengths...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think it's relative, it's what you are used to. I had the iphone and was happy with it but now I have the HTC One X and love the big screen - iPhones look dinky now in comparison. There are obvious limits around size because of ergonomics etc - I have small hands but the One X fits perfectly I think. I do think we're at the limit now thought I can't see it getting too much bigger as then you are into 'Phablet' territory with the Galaxy Note - which is also a great phone - my dad has one - just too big for your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I can also imagine that a lot of recently converted Apples (like moi) will move away in droves from the Apple 5 (or whatever it will be called).

Most people aren't like you - I don't mean that in an offensive way. You represent the minority.

Android functionality goes beyond most users needs and just creates unwanted complexity.

People want a easy to use, reliable phone and you can be sure that your average iPhone user isn't crying out for a bigger screen. Most people think it's big enough as it is.

It'll do fine. That said Apple need to introduce some strong new elements to get people talking about the iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Most people aren't like you - I don't mean that in an offensive way. You represent the minority.
    Are you sure about that. I'd venture a guess that its the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Android functionality goes beyond most users needs and just creates unwanted complexity.

People want a easy to use, reliable phone and you can be sure that your average iPhone user isn't crying out for a bigger screen. Most people think it's big enough as it is.

It'll do fine. That said Apple need to introduce some strong new elements to get people talking about the iPhone 5.

Apple don't have to do a whole lot. They could release a toothbrush in the morning for €100 with a mini speaker in it and they would sell millions of units. The problem with Android as you say it's more complex than IOS. But that's not a bad thing either, I think if you are at the stage where you can use an iPhone to a decent standard then you could easily transition to Android.

The big selling point for Apple is their marketing or lack of it! The hype in the media goes crazy about just about anything Apple releases. The iPhone, iMac, iPad, iPod etc. all appear in your favourite films and TV shows at one stage or another.

What sells the iPhone for a user like myself is the interface and the ability on iTunes. As a Samsung Galaxy SII owner the functionality and the ability of the music player was awkward at best. I listed to lots of Podcasts and iTunes is a much better machine at managing these and my Music than any Android software I have seen. It's the ease of access and speed which appeal to me. If I have 5 minutes in the morning iTunes will download what I need and it will be on my phone as I'm walking out the door.

What I would like to see is better functionality with the likes of Excel, Access etc. I think if Google make a stock music player and hub similar to iTunes and IOS they will seriously attack Apples share in the market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

I had the S3 for the day the other day, and the phone itself is fine, but the sheer size of it was just too much. doesnt matter how thin it is.

My mate, got one brand new from Meteor, put it in his jeans pocket and sat down on the sofa. in the space of 30 mins sitting there, the screen smashed. happened in front of our very eyes on Sunday :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you sure about that. I'd venture a guess that its the opposite.

Most iPhone users are happy and not looking to move platforms. I've never heard a regular, moderate user (which make up the majority) complain about screen size, inability to customise or root. These people are oblivious to the platform wars - they don't obsess over it.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/16/apple-iphone-customer-sat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

pfurey101 wrote: »

Time to dump this mad world of Apple and that 4S of mine

can i have your 4s so? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most iPhone users are happy and not looking to move platforms. I've never heard a regular, moderate user (which make up the majority) complain about screen size, inability to customise or root. These people are oblivious to the platform wars - they don't obsess over it.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/16/apple-iphone-customer-sat/
    +1

My wife hates computers, can't get on with them, and generally doesn't love technology much. But her iPhone is the first phone since her Nokia 3210 that she hasn't complained about on a daily basis.

Your average consumer wants a phone that works and is familiar. The iPhone provides this. Apple have managed to do with smartphones pretty much what Microsoft did for GUI OSes - create an environment which remains functional and familiar through each version, thus ensuring that people stick with it despite its flaws.
    I have so far met very few people who have moved from iPhone to Android, and those who did all eventually say that they liked Android initially, but iOS was better and they miss it.

I'm not an Apple fanboy by a long shot, that's just the sentiment that I see on the ground. In fact one of the primary reasons stopping me from moving to Android is the fact that I can't just restore all of the settings from my iPhone, that I have to start all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Apple don't have to do a whole lot. They could release a toothbrush in the morning for €100 with a mini speaker in it and they would sell millions of units.

Where can i get one of these toohtbrushes ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'd be happy with what all the rumour sites are saying. The design doesn't stray too far from the iPhone 4/4S which I'm happy with. They aren't increasing the screen to crazy sizes either. My iP4 has become a little sluggish at times, and running out of space so it's due an upgrade. I'll be getting the new iPhone.

One thing I'd like to see added is NFC. It's never really been useful before IMO but now people are starting to embrace the technology. Those Samsung tiles stickers are a great idea and i'd love something similar on the iPhone. Other than that I can't really think of what I'd like to see added. Maybe a camera inprovements and definately a better battery but they're just specs increases. Plus iOS 6 is a solid update that I can't wait for. Especially with the better integration with OS X.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

theres a lot of claims and counter claims about what 'most' users want.

someone should set up a simple poll to see who wants more than a 4" screen?

i do agree that a bigger screen on the iphone appeals to me, but i dont want it too big.

as mentioned i'd like to be continue to use my phone with just my thumb, so reach is important.

equally as someone mentioned i dont want the screen soo big that it compromises the robustness of the phone. i always have my iphone4 in my back pocket (without a cover) and i'm very confident it wont break (i dont get the same feeling with the larger samsungs).

and i also wnat an apple toothbrush :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seamus wrote: »
    I have so far met very few people who have moved from iPhone to Android, and those who did all eventually say that they liked Android initially, but iOS was better and they miss it.
    I'm not a fan of this new "Longphone", but I'd agree with the above. The Android users in my office are continually rebooting their phones and suffering crashes - and the ex-iOS users forever lamenting leaving the Apple ecosystem.

So even though Apple (imo) need to freshen up both the "look" of the iPhone AND the OS, I can't bring myself to commit to anything other than the safe pair of hands iOS is.

I guess Apple know an OS doesn't have to be perfect - just better than the alternatives. (And W8 is just too an unknown a quantity to commit to for 2 years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

The screens for the 5 were shipped to China two weeks ago for assembly so should be soon. Looking forward to the release as Jobs did a lot of work on the project before he legged it to the big man in the sky.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PatrickMc wrote: »
    The screens for the 5 were shipped to China two weeks ago for assembly so should be soon. Looking forward to the release as Jobs did a lot of work on the project before he legged it to the big man in the sky.....
    I'm not seeing anything to suggest a touch of Jobs in this proposed concept. Make the screen a bit taller and the phone a bit thinner?

Here's hoping for a surprise in September, whether it's hardware or iOS6 related. Something that's worthy of the hype that will happen regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm all for a bigger screen but I'm not liking how they're going to doing it(supposedly) I'd rather a scaled up version of the current screen to 4" inches or a bit more instead.

I'm actually starting to look at the S3 and it doesn't look so big to me. The foot print of the phone isn't much bigger and I like how the bezel is so thin. The iPhone needs to cut off a huge chunk off the top and as much as possible off the bottom (The home button will prevent that though) because it's just making the phone unnecessarily big and bulky.

If those concepts are real I will really think over upgrading even though I'm not a fan of android OS at all.

Dades wrote: »
    PatrickMc wrote: »
    I'm not seeing anything to suggest a touch of Jobs in this proposed concept. Make the screen a bit taller and the phone a bit thinner?

Here's hoping for a surprise in September, whether it's hardware or iOS6 related. Something that's worthy of the hype that will happen regardless.

The rumour sites said that the 4S wasn't supposed to be the latest iPhone but due to issues they delayed the phone they were working on and brought out the 4S instead. That was months back after the release. So I think thats what he means when he's saying it's the last phone Jobs had input on.

I can't imagine it hasn't had some more work done for the last year if the rumour is true. So it could have had a lot of changes since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

seamus wrote: »

That's your experience but I've definitely noticed a trend since around the Galaxy Nexus came out. I was convinced that my wife would never leave iPhone, but she picked up a One X when it came out. The only thing she misses is being able to buy songs through itunes on her phone. I picked up a One X not shortly after having killed a SE play - a phone I bought on a whim and didn't think i'd keep more than a month - but had to go back to the IPhone 4 for 5 days before hand and found it to be an extremely frustrating experience - missed swiftkey hugely.

I'm just back from the States and I'm kinda shocked at how many SGS3s I saw there. Last year it was still pretty much all iPhones with the odd Fascinate or Droid.

The funny thing is the next phone is basically answering every wish I had for hardware in the 4s successor - larger screen, smaller bezel and the removal of the glass back and I've absolutely no interest in what I'm seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

iPhone 5: 3.8V/1440mAh/5.45Whr
    iPhone 4S: 3.7V/1430mAh/5.3Whr

Rumor is that the new iPhone 5 battery is only marginally better than whats in the iPhone 4S. Big mistake as far as i can see. You could barely get a day out of the iPhone 4S whats going to happen now with a 4" screen, (possibly LTE) and other enhancements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Rumor is that the new iPhone 5 battery is only marginally better than whats in the iPhone 4S. Big mistake as far as i can see. You could barely get a day out of the iPhone 4S whats going to happen now with a 4" screen, (possibly LTE) and other enhancements?

There was an article the other day on one of the sites that showed some of the new components are up to 50% more efficient then in the 4S.

I comfortably get a day out of my 4S. I don't understand the need to have a battery last more then a day. I mean, there has to be trade-offs to get this sort of technology into a device you can carry in your pocket. Once it lasts a day, it's a small price to pay to have to charge it every night.

I would have an iPhone with 1 day battery life over a Nokia 3210 with 4 days battery life any day of the week :P

boreder wrote: »
    There was an article the other day on one of the sites that showed some of the new components are up to 50% more efficient then in the 4S.

I comfortably get a day out of my 4S. I don't understand the need to have a battery last more then a day. I mean, there has to be trade-offs to get this sort of technology into a device you can carry in your pocket. Once it lasts a day, it's a small price to pay to have to charge it every night.

I would have an iPhone with 1 day battery life over a Nokia 3210 with 4 days battery life any day of the week :P

That's fair enough and i hope your right about new components that are 50% more efficient.

I also agree that 1 day was an acceptable time frame for a phone to last. However my concern is with new components that if it doesn't last a day its not going to be much good to me.

I would also rather an iPhone to a Nokia 3210 that lasts a week. However i've had a number of newer smartphones in recent months and 1 day battery life just doesn't cut it anymore when you can have an android device with a 4.7" screen and the battery lasts two to three days. Apple would want to have something similar to remain competitive!

boreder wrote: »

Although I agree with your point I think it's just pure lazy not to make a significant upgrade to the battery. Why couldn't they make the components more efficient but upgrade to the battery too?
    They seem content in keeping a lot of the specs similar as in this, screen res, etc.
    They could have had another marketing chip by increasing the battery life and improving what so many people want.

Ffs they are getting lazy when some of the competition are really stepping it up.
    This also means that the A5X chip will be in it and not a quad core processor, just graphics.

Based on everything I've seen (taken with a pinch of salt though) this will not be enough of an insentive for me to upgrade my 4. I want a real upgrade to the device like the S3 was to the S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

why the reluctance to change to a 16:9 screen? most you tube and videos are in that format now, therefore the picture would fill the screen? it would be rediculous for apple to continue with the current dimensions.

in terms screen size, once you have used an s3 for a few days there really is no going back. the pebble shape of the phone permits it though, the squared edges of the iPhone would make it way to bulky

1ZRed wrote: »

Based on everything I've seen (taken with a pinch of salt though) this will not be enough of an insentive for me to upgrade my 4. I want a real upgrade to the device like the S3 was to the S2.

Agree completely, we've been patient enough for a worthwhile update.

I'll be buying an S3 if Apple don't come up trumps on the 12th of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I want a real upgrade to the device like the S3 was to the S2.

I don't think, in real world terms, that the s3 was that big a jump. Sure the screen is bigger and nicer, but do 9 out of 10 users see the improvement in CPU? Has anyone compared day to day use of an S2 running ics to an s3? Is it really that much better?

So lets compare apples and er.... oranges...

S3

CPU: quad core 1.4GHZ
    RAM: 1GB
    screen: 4.8 inch
    LTE: regional (ireland: no)
    Camera: 8MP with HD video
    Memory variants : 16/32/64 GB internal with micro sd support up to 64GB
    NFC: Yes

Iphone (all specs rumored)

Cpu: quad core of unknown power
    Ram: 1gb
    screen: 4 inch
    LTE: yes
    Camera: 12MP with HD video
    Memory variants: 16/32/64 GB (time for a 128gb?)
    NFC: unknown (i'm leaning towards yes, or at least a dormant chip to be awakend with future os updates)

so, for me the only reason to go for an S3 is the slighly larger screen, and i dont really need that. In fact, im not sure i like apple stretching the current one.

The next iphone will hold its own against the s3, so those saying it wont be a big enough improvment over the 4s and will switch to an s3, will more or less be buying the same phone anyway.
    so unless you're bored with apple or iOS, why change?

I don't think, in real world terms, that the s3 was that big a jump. Sure the screen is bigger and nicer, but do 9 out of 10 users see the improvement in CPU? Has anyone compared day to day use of an S2 running ics to an s3? Is it really that much better?

S3

NFC: unknown (i'm leaning towards yes, or at least a dormant chip to be awakend with future os updates)

so, for me the only reason to go for an S3 is the slighly larger screen, and i dont really need that. In fact, im not sure i like apple stretching the current one.

The next iphone will hold its own against the s3, so those saying it wont be a big enough improvment over the 4s and will switch to an s3, will more or less be buying the same phone anyway.

I'm not too sure about those specs tbh. It's nearly definately gonna be an A5X so it'll be dual core. 1GB is a maybe. They really should have it as minimum now. I haven't seen anythin suggesting a 12MP camera. And I really don't see it happenening. They'll probably improve the lens or flash but Apple aren't usually the type to upgrade to such a high spec unless it's to match competitors. They'll probably keep the camera as is. And as much as I'd like NFC there hasn't been any solid evidence to suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I want a real upgrade to the device like the S3 was to the S2.
    improvment over the 4s and will switch to an s3, will more or less be buying the same phone anyway.

Not so. I use my phone heavily for docs, web, email and books when on the move. The larger screen is pushing me to Samsung.

S3

It has a quad core processor CPU and GPU. iPhone will have the A5X I guarantee it.

The S3 has a higher clock rate and has 2GB of Ram.

The screen is not slightly bigger but much much bigger and it being AMOLED, much better vs LCD also.

4" inches would be fine on the next iPhone but just making it taller is ridiculous. Scale it up at least ffs.

12MP camera? Are you for real? Apple will not be doing that. I'd sooner see a quad core CPU in it than that. Defo don't see it happening.

The S3 will be much more powerful than the iPhone 5 and I'm starting to get annoyed at Apple not being cutting edge enough. I realise the iP5 will do well regardless but that won't last forever and they'll lose market share to Samsung if they don't step it up.
    If Apple had the power of the S3 it would be the only manufacturer to make the most of it as it has the best integration and best developer support. I think they use that to their advantage and don't feel the need to be the market leader at pushing the boundaries if they have the feel of the OS down and developers behind them. At the end of the day software is king but I'm getting bored.

My point about the battery life is Apple being so ****ing lazy. They've had two years to develop a bigger and better one but they won't. That's just ridiculous. They probably think since the other phones on the market are around the same in terms of battery life they don't see the need. They could have set the trend.

The iPhone 4 was a great phone on all fronts and actually was very much ahead of the game I thought. I'm starting to doubt that now very much now with the next release.

That said, I'll be reserving my final decisions on whether or not to stay on iOS once the phone launches in September. But there's no smoke without fire and based on these rumours, it doesn't even seem worth the money to me right now.
    The only thing that keeps me is that Apple just make everything work and have unreal support and integration on the software side. Android doesn't cut it for me on that front but I'm still really considering going that route.

• Advertisement

I agree largely with 1ZRed.

Less time making the ****ing sim card smaller more time sorting out the battery!

Advertisement