Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

1ZRed wrote: »

The S3 has a higher clock rate and has 2GB of Ram.

It has 1gb of ram. in fact i just checked a workmates S3 through the task manager and his ram is 780mb!

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about those specs tbh. It's nearly definately gonna be an A5X so it'll be dual core. 1GB is a maybe. They really should have it as minimum now. I haven't seen anythin suggesting a 12MP camera. And I really don't see it happenening. They'll probably improve the lens or flash but Apple aren't usually the type to upgrade to such a high spec unless it's to match competitors. They'll probably keep the camera as is. And as much as I'd like NFC there hasn't been any solid evidence to suggest it.

If my quoted rumoured specs arent on it, i'll be a little bit disappointed, but it'll still handle anything i want to do on it. plus i have an android 4.0 phone as a work handset so i wont be switching. I'll just do the same as i did last year when the 4s came out: enter into a 12 mth contract and sell my previous handset on donedeal to offset the cost of the new one. i sold my 3gs for 200 and bought the 4s for 300, and i'm out of contract in october. repeat in 2013 for that years iphone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mollser wrote: »
    why the reluctance to change to a 16:9 screen? most you tube and videos are in that format now, therefore the picture would fill the screen? it would be rediculous for apple to continue with the current dimensions.
    I almost never watch video on my phone. I use the still camera a LOT and a 16:9 screen is pointless for that.
    Less time making the ****ing sim card smaller more time sorting out the battery!
    Don't they make other components such as the sim tray and the connector port smaller so that they can accommodate such things as a bigger battery? If the new iPhone is thinner, and has effectively the same battery as the 4, maybe it's because they've saved space by making things smaller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

It has 1gb of ram. in fact i just checked a workmates S3 through the task manager and his ram is 780mb!

There is actually two versions of the phone one 1GB, the other 2GB. We're both wrong.

Yeah but that's the deal with all memory. 250GB is actually 234 or something in reality.

Either way the iPhone is basically going to be like the iPad 3 in terms of processor, graphics and ram. It's the way it's always been.

So that means an A5X chip with 1GB of ram.

Same ppi but better colour enchantments that the new iPad got, if not slightly better. And a taller, stupid screen ratio. (I don't watch videos on it because it's too small. I would if it was actually bigger, not longer Apple)

NFC

Same battery (great in 2010, taking the piss by putting in the same thing again)

Smaller pin connector (why are they freeing up so much space if nothing major is in the works - based on rumours)

4G and the rest

Improved camera sensor/optics. No 12MP until next year once the competition start doing it.

Good software enhancements with iOS 6 but nothing really wow or great. Or no significant upgrades compared to how android is advancing so quickly over each release.

Thinner but with a great quality sturdy build unlike the S3. I still hate how it looks. The metal is nice on the back but the glossy black bits clash a lot! All metal back and I'll be happier.

Overall, it doesn't seem like anything great to me based on everything we know. And a lot of these rumours are probably true. There's always some truth with them like every year.
    In two years they should have had another iPhone 4 type of thing ready to come out. That was the best phone they ever built and stole the market for good reason.
    I've been underwelmend by the 4S and even with a year of added time, I think I'll be underwhelmed by this too. They have no excuses this time around for not coming out with a great redesigned and competive (hardware wise) product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Dades wrote: »
    Don't they make other components such as the sim tray and the connector port smaller so that they can accommodate such things as a bigger battery? If the new iPhone is thinner, and has effectively the same battery as the 4, maybe it's because they've saved space by making things smaller?

Yes they do, where is the bigger battery though?

My point is a micro sim card slot isn't very beneficial to anybody. Fine its cutting down
    on the unwanted portion of the sim card which was effectively waste anyway but its not
    solving any groundbreaking problem like how to give users a few days battery life instead
    of 12 measly hours.

• Advertisement

Yes they do, where is the bigger battery though?

My point is a micro sim card slot isn't very beneficial to anybody. Fine its cutting down
    on the unwanted portion of the sim card which was effectively waste anyway but its not
    solving any groundbreaking problem like how to give users a few days battery life instead
    of 12 measly hours.

You can look at it this way. It's great to free up as much space as possible but if they're not going to actually add anything beneficial in it like a bigger battery or stronger chip then what good is it?

For all their talk once it's released, will it actually be the thinnest smartphone to justify doing pretty much fuck all for the last year? Doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what good is it?

look at an iphone 4/4s, then look at the metal band around the outside. that's the entire height of the new iphone. that's pretty damn good if you ask me.

there's supposedly a new qualcomm chip going in to that draws approx 40% less power for wifi and 20% less for cellular. maybe they don't really need to increase the battery capacity due to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think what we're gonna get is a much thinner phone. With the taller size of it and the modest battery improvement I'd say they're planning to make it much thinner than the 4S. That's the trade off. I personally wouldn't mind keeping the same thickness and getting a better battery life. But I'm sure there are others on the opposite side and want it slimmer. One of the main features of each keynote is just how thin the new product is. It's what Apple does.

I think the hype is going to be bigger than the actual phone again. Who's fault is that? People are expecting miracles here with new innovation. The competition isn't doing anything brilliant. Name one major feature that any Android phone company or Microsoft has introduced lately? Apple are still ahead of the game. Other phones might have better specs but the iPhone still beats a lot of them in benchmark tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

To be honest I think its silly to compromise on battery life for the sake of a thinner phone. The phone is fine as it is thickness wise.

3am in the morning after a night out, its p**sing rain and im stranded in town with no money to get home. I cant make a call because my battery died 2hrs ago, but sure who cares it will be easy to carry for the 2hr walk home as its wafer thin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Here is an interesting article on the leaked unibody iPhone design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    To be honest I think its silly to compromise on battery life for the sake of a thinner phone. The phone is fine as it is thickness wise.
    Who said they've compromised on battery life? If the rumours are through, then they have improved it, just not by as much as some people seem to have been expecting.
    3am in the morning after a night out, its p**sing rain and im stranded in town with no money to get home. I cant make a call because my battery died 2hrs ago, but sure who cares it will be easy to carry for the 2hr walk home as its wafer thin :rolleyes:
    If you're the type of person who would waste the battery despite knowing you will likely need to use the phone a few hours later, then it will never matter how great a battery they come up with, you'll still manage to waste it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

didn't Apple get into trouble over their new laptop with the glued in battery? Some government recycling regs. for tendering for public service contracts. If the phone is going to be thinner...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I haven't read up much on apple's new dock connector, but i'm hoping it uses some sort of magsafe like locking technique...I doubt it will but that would be cool IMO

Mactard wrote: »
    I haven't read up much on apple's new dock connector, but i'm hoping it uses some sort of magsafe like locking technique...I doubt it will but that would be cool IMO

actually, thats looking like a possibility.

More rumoured iPhone parts, point to nano-sim, LTE and 'new screen technology'.

via 9to5Mac
    183722_60fb1344797639a9aa6de86515c36.jpeg?w=657&h=491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I really hope it does release next month. Ever since I upgraded my headphones to a decent pair I really hate listening to the 128kb AAc music I have on my 4. I need a 64GB model!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Apparently its going to be released 21st September and thats coming from o2!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dricko_lim wrote: »

Oh my god! My life is complete! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

dricko_lim wrote: »

Do you have a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Getting new phones in work and the rep for O2 said that on the phone. Guys are waiting til then now to get the phones. No link im afraid!

• Advertisement

it's a shop/phone monkey trying to let on that they know more than they do.

anyone working in o2 can only give the same estimates that are being thrown around on blogs/rumour sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, that's an O2 rep who's heard the rumours and is telling them as fact. The operators don't even know any dates until the event. You constantly see people on the operators' forums going mad that it's "disgraceful" that the operator knows nothing about the new phone, but until Apple hold an event and announce it, the carriers are as much in the dark as the consumers.

Plus that September 21st date is for the US not Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Ireland is usully within the second tier of countries for a Apple product launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Rachelmhr

I spoke to an Apple Staff member yesterday and they have no idea when it will be launched and apparently they are only told on the morning of the release! I have heard sometime in September!

I think all, if not most, of the rumours are true. Considering none of them are overy unrealistic they're probably real for the most part. There's no smoke without fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

purple monkey dishwasher

the first any staff outside of maybe about 50 people in apple HQ, is when it's announced on stage.

apple are that secretive, they'll float around fake phones inside HQ to throw people off the scent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

the first any staff outside of maybe about 50 people in apple HQ, is when it's announced on stage.

apple are that secretive, they'll float around fake phones inside HQ to throw people off the scent.

+ a few hundred people in China don't forget.

• Advertisement

+ a few hundred people in China don't forget.
    most of them don't know what they are working on, they see so little of the actual finished product that for all they know they could be just making screens or little buttons.

Advertisement