Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

most of them don't know what they are working on, they see so little of the actual finished product that for all they know they could be just making screens or little buttons.

Not true. Granted that people working on sub assemblies may be none the wiser but the phone gets to an assembly stage where it is fairly obvious what the final product looks like. Not to mention the packaging stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

If USA, Canada, Germany, France and UK get the phone on the 21st, Ireland will probably get it a week later, on the 28th. :) However, I'm only guessing, just like everyone else. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The latest leaks point to NFC hardware built into the upcoming iPhone. Hardware dumps also show code pointing to a high likelihood of NFC. More info on 9To5Mac.
    5e7bc55f74897db2b959fb73b8e6294a_view.jpeg

I for one hope it's true. It's the one feature i'm hoping to see added to the iPhone hardware wise. Shops in Ireland are now even starting to add contactless payment at checkouts. It's the right time to add it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

DubDJ wrote: »
    The latest leaks point to NFC hardware built into the upcoming iPhone. Hardware dumps also show code pointing to a high likelihood of NFC. More info on 9To5Mac.

I for one hope it's true. It's the one feature i'm hoping to see added to the iPhone hardware wise. Shops in Ireland are now even starting to add contactless payment at checkouts. It's the right time to add it.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/28286-first-spar-eurospar-and/

http://www.scmagazine.com.au/News/305881,android-app-steals-contactless-credit-card-data.aspx

It'll be Iphone 6 before it'll work here for phones I'd say.

• Advertisement

so you can have a basic idea of what to expect :)

http://www.cultofmac.com/187310/iphone-5-rumor-breakdown-what-you-can-expect-infographic/

I'm pretty sad about the low possibility of the NFC compatibility though... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

petiha wrote: »

http://www.cultofmac.com/187310/iphone-5-rumor-breakdown-what-you-can-expect-infographic/

I'm pretty sad about the low possibility of the NFC compatibility though... :eek:

Leaving out NFC would be completely bizarre - its certainly on the SGSIII but it's also on my wife's Nokia C7 which is now 14 months old (albeit with f all use to now, but that may change quickly)

I wait to see what the 5 has, but the rumours really aren't exciting, if anything, they're rather worrying???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah this looks like it could be a massive let down if the rumours are true?

Unless Apple has some unique selling point no one knows yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

If the points from the above is what we have to look forward to, it is indeed a disappointment for me...Apple is the company that everyone looks to to bring new ideas, evolutionary designs to the table...nothing here is that big of a deal, certainly for me anyway. Especially considering that most smartphones have a lot of these features already.

Apple seems to be pinning its hopes on keeping its customer based on the fact that they are part of the Apple ecosystem....I don't know if that will do it for me any more.

Regardless, of what I or any of us say, its still going to sell like there is no tomorrow...

Regardless, of what I or any of us say, its still going to sell like there is no tomorrow...

my toughts exactly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

If the points from the above is what we have to look forward to, it is indeed a disappointment for me...Apple is the company that everyone looks to to bring new ideas, evolutionary designs to the table...nothing here is that big of a deal, certainly for me anyway. Especially considering that most smartphones have a lot of these features already.

Apple seems to be pinning its hopes on keeping its customer based on the fact that they are part of the Apple ecosystem....I don't know if that will do it for me any more.

Yeah I feel the same. Two years of doing nothing. Basically it's just the power and internals of the iPad 3 with a slimmer case and bigger screen (although an awkward vertical size increase). So even then it won't stand out as a big player because it's already nothing special. Sales don't mean everything and make it a better phone when they are getting so boring and lazy.

If that's the case, it's a waste of money because it's not a competitive phone at all anymore. Based on these very tame and believable rumours, I won't bother upgrading my iPhone 4 to it when I could get a lot more for my money else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

1ZRed wrote: »
    Yeah I feel the same. Two years of doing nothing. Basically it's just the power and internals of the iPad 3 with a slimmer case and bigger screen (although an awkward vertical size increase). So even then it won't stand out as a big player because it's already nothing special. Sales don't mean everything and make it a better phone when they are getting so boring and lazy.

If that's the case, it's a waste of money because it's not a competitive phone at all anymore. Based on these very tame and believable rumours, I won't bother upgrading my iPhone 4 to it when I could get a lot more for my money else where.

What exactly should the new phone have?

I don't understand what people are looking for?

murpho999 wrote: »

The 4S was not an upgrade design wise and was a pretty mediocre internal upgrade from the 4. If other companies can really bigger changes in a year, wtf has Apple done in two?

The 4S was not an upgrade design wise and was a pretty mediocre internal upgrade from the 4. If other companies can really bigger changes in a year, wtf has Apple done in two?

why bother making a huge update to one of the (if not) most successful phones in history... people are still going to buy it :( and btw, they did update the CPU to a dual-core, and the camera to one of the best phone cameras out there... dont forget this!

-Bigger screen. The iPhone is wasting so much space in it's footprint when it could be have a bigger screen. Look at the GS3 for example. It's actually not all that much bigger than an iPhone as a whole but the screen is much larger.

-If they don't change the screen, why not change the screen type? OLED would be nice. Considering it's going to be a small size 1136x640, they could do it, easily. Doubt they'll up the resolution any further.

- Better battery. If they are just going to be upping the battery a small bit and not going to be adding a quad core CPU, then what have they been doing for two years?

- Both a quad core CPU and GPU. It's going to have the A5X, so the latter could be counted on, but a quad core CPU could bring better speed, multitasking and options for developers (like what's going on with the S3). It would get utilised to it's fullest if they did add it because of their devolved support, so it wouldn't go to waste.

- Thinner design. That will come and it will be a nice phone a with very good premium build quality unlike a lot of other phones. That's a guarantee from Apple.

- It's obviously going to have 4G and the rest and I'm guessing NFC could still be a possibility.

All in all, they are pretty basic stuff that other phone manufacturers are already doing. If I'm getting a relatively small upgrade and small little boosts, it's not good enough and it's not good value for money at all. I think the next iPhone is going to be very predictable, and considering the rumours are not at all wild or interesting, I doubt Apple will be pulling off something very dramatic and amazing with it.

why bother making a huge update to one of the (if not) most successful phones in history... people are still going to buy it :( and btw, they did update the CPU to a dual-core, and the camera to one of the best phone cameras out there... dont forget this!

I won't be for long and people as a whole will only follow to a certain point for a certain amount of time. When that is, I don't know.
    And that was a good upgrade, dual-core CPU AND GPU. The camera was/is great and I'll admit that, but it was still a lack lustre release.

I don't know what there is to be excited about for this new iPhone, based on everything I've heard, it's damn boring.

...I'm guessing NFC could still be a possibility.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/28/no-nfc-in-next-generation-iphone/

don't beg on that... :/ they'll probably substitute that with their passbook app... in the USA! :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I won't be for long and people as a whole will only follow to a certain point for a certain amount of time. When that is, I don't know.
    And that was a good upgrade, dual-core CPU AND GPU. The camera was/is great and I'll admit that, but it was still a lack lustre release.

I don't know what there is to be excited about for this new iPhone, based on everything I've heard, it's damn boring.

See, that's why they can't keep everyone happy. You want better battery life, but you also want it slimmer and a bigger screen. And when you say the SG3 isn't much bigger than the iPhone you lose any credibility. That phone is huge, and I certainly don't want a phone that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The thing is people here are saying bigger screens. But that would really put me off the iPhone. 4" will be plenty. I think those 4.5" - 4.8" screens look ridiculous. Don't get me started on the Note. The S3 is pretty thin because its such a bigger phone. Apple have to fit more in a smaller form factor so it will increase the thickness. It probably will be 4G. I'm hoping for NFC but it doesn't look good. That will be a letdown for me. We'll get the usual specs bumps too.

But recently Apple have shifted a lot of focus to software over hardware. iOS 6 is a solid upgrade that people often overlook. Plenty of new features added and updates to already existing stuff. I'll still be interested to see if Apple surprise us with any features. But I expect we'll get what's already leaked.

whiterebel wrote: »
    See, that's why they can't keep everyone happy. You want better battery life, but you also want it slimmer and a bigger screen. And when you say the SG3 isn't much bigger than the iPhone you lose any credibility. That phone is huge, and I certainly don't want a phone that big.

I posted a while ago saying if they weren't going to increase the screen hugely at all, why isn't the battery getting better at least? I'm fine if they can keep the battery the same BUT include some proper upgrades to the screen and processor. Honestly with the way things are headed, saying it's because "it's slimmer" to justify the same battery size is stupid.

gs3-iphone-640x515.jpg

In fairness, no it's not all that much bigger and the S3 gets way more screen area out of it's footprint the the iPhone does. The S3 is a big phone but the iPhone is tiny in my hand. I'm just saying if they could get rid of the huge wasted spaces at the top and bottom of the iPhone (the home bottom wouldn't permit) they could add a much bigger screen and still keep the overall phone size down.

With the new taller iPhone coming out and with it's awkwardness, I'd sooner go for an overall bigger screen over a vertical increase any day. I've wanted 4.3" at the maximum for the iPhone, the S3 is a bit too uncomfortable for me but I'd probably adapt.
    Either way, I've grown tired of the 3.5" screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

The point of the worlds most innovative companies is to bring out products which the masses later realise the usefullness of.... not to be told what the masses want and meet that demand!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

FM Radio :D

seriously

Why would people who have the 4 want to upgrade after a year and get 4s anyway?

The 4s was a serious upgrade to 3gs or older users and also a great phone to non-smart phone users.

People seem to forget this.

-Bigger screen. The iPhone is wasting so much space in it's footprint when it could be have a bigger screen. Look at the GS3 for example. It's actually not all that much bigger than an iPhone as a whole but the screen is much larger.

-If they don't change the screen, why not change the screen type? OLED would be nice. Considering it's going to be a small size 1136x640, they could do it, easily. Doubt they'll up the resolution any further.

- Better battery. If they are just going to be upping the battery a small bit and not going to be adding a quad core CPU, then what have they been doing for two years?

- Both a quad core CPU and GPU. It's going to have the A5X, so the latter could be counted on, but a quad core CPU could bring better speed, multitasking and options for developers (like what's going on with the S3). It would get utilised to it's fullest if they did add it because of their devolved support, so it wouldn't go to waste.

- Thinner design. That will come and it will be a nice phone a with very good premium build quality unlike a lot of other phones. That's a guarantee from Apple.

- It's obviously going to have 4G and the rest and I'm guessing NFC could still be a possibility.

All in all, they are pretty basic stuff that other phone manufacturers are already doing. If I'm getting a relatively small upgrade and small little boosts, it's not good enough and it's not good value for money at all. I think the next iPhone is going to be very predictable, and considering the rumours are not at all wild or interesting, I doubt Apple will be pulling off something very dramatic and amazing with it.

So you want a better and bigger screen with more processing powers and thinner design but bigger battery?

Can you not see the problem there?

Anyhow apart from screen size you're looking for spec improvements that they always do so I don't see what your problem is.

To say they have done nothing for 2 years is not right.

Still don't see what was so revolutionary about the S3 anyhow. It switches off when you go to sleep....great!

Why would people who have the 4 want to upgrade after a year and get 4s anyway?

The 4s was a serious upgrade to 3gs or older users and also a great phone to non-smart phone users.

People seem to forget this.

I have a 4, based on everything I'm seeing, why would I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5 which is essentially going to be an iPad 3 spec phone?

There doesn't seem to be anything great about it, design or hardware wise.

So you want a better and bigger screen with more processing powers and thinner design but bigger battery?

Can you not see the problem there?

It's the same battery they will use practically, just slightly bigger in capacity. Granted, I heard they were making the parts more efficient but that's not the point when other manufactures have added bigger and better screens yet improved the capacity of the battery. It just seems lazy to make such minor upgrades and not couple the new part efficiencies with a bigger battery. It's not like it's going to be very powerful. They could have had a very good edge on the rest with a great battery life.
    Anyhow apart from screen size you're looking for spec improvements that they always do so I don't see what your problem is.

They are going to be behind in their specs, so it will be much less powerful compared to the competition. Why would anyone settle for little upgrades instead of appropriate ones to bring it up to spec and pay more for it?
    To say they have done nothing for 2 years is not right.

No I think it's pretty fair to say the A5X is underpowered (bar graphics) and no design change what so ever. Camera and dual core were great, but where is the the quad core now and the bigger screen to make more out of the phone inorder to make it more enjoyable to use?
    Still don't see what was so revolutionary about the S3 anyhow. It switches off when you go to sleep....great!

Big OLED screen, very fast quad-core processor CPU and GPU, lots of features, great multitasking and very large potential to name a few. I've been looking it up, and the iPhone seems to be trailing it in a lot of ways.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I posted a while ago saying if they weren't going to increase the screen hugely at all, why isn't the battery getting better at least? I'm fine if they can keep the battery the same BUT include some proper upgrades to the screen and processor. Honestly with the way things are headed, saying it's because "it's slimmer" to justify the same battery size is stupid.

gs3-iphone-640x515.jpg

In fairness, no it's not all that much bigger and the S3 gets way more screen area out of it's footprint the the iPhone does. The S3 is a big phone but the iPhone is tiny in my hand. I'm just saying if they could get rid of the huge wasted spaces at the top and bottom of the iPhone (the home bottom wouldn't permit) they could add a much bigger screen and still keep the overall phone size down.

With the new taller iPhone coming out and with it's awkwardness, I'd sooner go for an overall bigger screen over a vertical increase any day. I've wanted 4.3" at the maximum for the iPhone, the S3 is a bit too uncomfortable for me but I'd probably adapt.
    Either way, I've grown tired of the 3.5" screen.

That SG3 is massive. No way I'd want or buy a phone that big. You also keep going on about Battery life - I don't know about the SG3, but up to that all the others had worse battery life than the iPhones, AFAIK.
    Maybe you should just get yourself a Galaxy, because Apple obviously aren't going to give you the phone you expect.

whiterebel wrote: »
    That SG3 is massive. No way I'd want or buy a phone that big. You also keep going on about Battery life - I don't know about the SG3, but up to that all the others had worse battery life than the iPhones, AFAIK.
    Maybe you should just get yourself a Galaxy, because Apple obviously aren't going to give you the phone you expect.

The S3 is a big phone but the iPhone is a very small one. Somewhere in the middle like 4-4.3" would be good but *scaled up* to that size would be best.
    The iPhone has good battery life, one of the best, but it still gets beaten out by a few. Honestly, it is the leader of nothing anymore which is a shame.

I'll wait and see what Apple does. I much prefer iOS but if I see it's nothing worth upgrading for me, I'll probably jump ship to Android. If all they did was keep the power up and competitive, increase the screen to what everyone wants and cuts down on those bezels, I would gladly give them my money because it would be more worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

jeez, some serious haters on here and we havent even seen whats been announced (only rumours, albeit probably true at this stage)

someones asked the questions before: what do you want from a new iphone?

apart from bigger screen, more battery life, faster processor, which are hardly 'innovative' features, the only thing i hear that is new is that some want NFC - but does anyone use this tech, ive not seen it anywhere. doesnt bother me whether its included or not.

a few keep raving about the SIII - well great, you want a bigger screen - go get an SIII and stop hating those who prefer something with a more appropriate screen size for a phone.

• Advertisement

jeez, some serious haters on here and we havent even seen whats been announced (only rumours, albeit probably true at this stage)

someones asked the questions before: what do you want from a new iphone?

apart from bigger screen, more battery life, faster processor, which are hardly 'innovative' features, the only thing i hear that is new is that some want NFC - but does anyone use this tech, ive not seen it anywhere. doesnt bother me whether its included or not.

a few keep raving about the SIII - well great, you want a bigger screen - go get an SIII and stop hating those who prefer something with a more appropriate screen size for a phone.

I'd hardly call myself a hater. I've never been on Android and I'm not bound to either one. If anything, I'm not biased anymore which is good. I'd sooner call people Apple fanboys around here than call me a hater.

I never said those things where "innovative" but they make up a huge part of the phone. I just think it's stupid now to pay more for an underpowered phone. I said it before, I like iOS, it does most things for me and it just "works", which I really like. However, there is no real upgrading happening and iOS 6 is nothing extraordinarily special. I just don't think there is any excitement left with the iPhone.

One thing I don't get though, the resolution and ppi will stay the same, fair enough it's the highest ppi for a phone I think. But why don't they go the OLED route? It's a small screen, they could manage.

I don't know what it is but this happens once big companies know people will buy their devices without fail so they get lazy. The only way they keep selling more and more is because they are expanding their market in new countries all the time but they have lost a good chunk of market share to other hight tier devices. It's annoying because I like Apple and their products are built great and have a good feel but it's just not enough anymore.

I think as a guy who has always been with iOS I'm just voicing my dissatisfaction with the route Apple has taken with the iPhone. Their last great phone that was a beast was the iPhone 4. The rumours are true and the design is ugly IMO (so is the S3 though) so that will remain unchanged I think.

I actually know a few people who are thinking of going to the S3 and are bored of the iPhone (it's small screen being a factor). They were the ones that got me thinking but I told them to wait because it's pointless to just dive in, but they'll probably go the Android route I think.

Advertisement