Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

1ZRed wrote: »
    The S3 is a big phone but the iPhone is a very small one. Somewhere in the middle like 4-4.3" would be good but *scaled up* to that size would be best.
    The iPhone has good battery life, one of the best, but it still gets beaten out by a few. Honestly, it is the leader of nothing anymore which is a shame.

...except in usability, consistency, security and app quality - which honestly is what matters to me more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

miralize wrote: »
    ...except in usability, consistency, security and app quality - which honestly is what matters to me more than anything else.

Yep and I completely agree with that, which is why I don't exactly want to leave iOS. I was referring to hardware in my post though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Apple have me by the balls (so to speak)with the new phone. iMessage and iTunes integration that works seamlessly. That's what I need and it's what the iPhone provides so I'll be queuing on launch to get myself 64GB new iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have a 4, based on everything I'm seeing, why would I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5 which is essentially going to be an iPad 3 spec phone?

There doesn't seem to be anything great about it, design or hardware wise.

Nothing has been confirmed yet so why don't you just wait till then. It's all rumour and Apple are great at keeping secrets.

There's nothing wrong with iPad specs btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Despite what some might think, there are some valid points being raised by both sides here.

Theres no denying the S3 is impressive, but as the owner of both (Xperia S, ICS) and a 4S I'm not losing out by upgrading to a 5. Having owned an iphone of some type far longer than an android, i'm more used to iOS, and i see a lot more crashes of some type on android. Also, owning an apple tv, ipad 2 and for the first time recently, a macbook pro i'm heavily invested in the ecosystem.

The biggest thing the Xperia taught me is that i'm not a fan of really big phones (even my mates remarked that the sony was huge, but that was before the S3 gained acceptance) so the news of the increased size of the 5 worried me, even more so when it was revealed that they were just stretching it. I think they should widen it, but i'm also kinda glad they havent as i like the width of the 4S. I orchestrated my upgrade for Oct, so i'll probably buy a 5 anyway.

This photo makes me feel a little better:
    iphone_2012_4s_side_by_side_front_panels-500x535.jpg
    (courtesy macrumors)

but i'll reserve judgement until i hold it in my hand (i'll be lucky enough to see one on launch day without having to buy it)

for those discussing CPU's i'll just leave this here:
    iphone_2012_logic_board_a6.jpg
    (courtesy macrumors)

its the lastest rumor surrounding the logic board .

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Nothing has been confirmed yet so why don't you just wait till then. It's all rumour and Apple are great at keeping secrets.

There's nothing wrong with iPad specs btw!

Apple are terrible secret keepers! Everyone knows that and the eveidence proves that every year before release.

iPad 3 specs are fine but they're not great. I've made that point. At least it's a guarantee that it'll have 1GB of ram and at the least an A5X chip. That much is very predictable.

but i'll reserve judgement until i hold it in my hand (i'll be lucky enough to see one on launch day without having to buy it)

for those discussing CPU's i'll just leave this here:
    iphone_2012_logic_board_a6.jpg
    (courtesy macrumors)

its the lastest rumor surrounding the logic board .

If that is an A6 chip, I'll be much happier. From my understanding, the only reason why the iPad 3 did not get full on quad-core was because of the massive screen res so that would be too much on the battery. The screen is already too much for it, even with nearly doubling it! Plus I'd say heating Would be an issue too because mine does get hot with full brightness and doing very graphically intensive things.

I will wait until it's announced and I've told people to wait already. I think nearly all the rumours are true to some extent. I'm also glad they are reducing the massive bezel on the top and bottom, now do away with that clashing glass and metal back and just leave it all metal and my interest will be very much back in it! This is the only rumour I'm doubting slightly because it exactly look like a nice enough feature that Apple would implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just in relation to the screen size. The reason Apple are scaling it the way they are isn't because of a random decision they've made. It's all to do with the app developers. Apple don't want to have the problem of fragmentation that excists on Android. By scaling the screen the way they are it makes it easy for developers to update their apps to support the new screen. It's a blessing for video too as it supports the 16:9 aspect, however my concern will be the keyboard. In landscape it could be a nightmare for screen real estate. But I'm sure Apple have something up their sleeve to help with that problem.

The A6 chip isn't highly likely either and most of the evidence on the rumour sites point to the A5X. It would be great to have the A6 but I won't hold my breath. My iPad is unbelievably fast with the A5X, i'll be looking forward to see what the new iPhone will be like with it.

As the specs go its up to benchmarks and actual usability to show the true power of a phone. You could have the best specs in the world but it's not doing any justice if the OS isn't taking full advantage of them. iOS is brilliant that way, perfectly optimised to run on the hardware of the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

@1zred - i wasnt referring to anyone in particular so pls dont take my comment personally.

there just seems to be a lot of people on this thread stating that apple have lost the plot for not coming out with something revolutionary; some new innovation to amaze the masses; to stake their claim as the leader in the field.

imo apple dont need to do that, they created the 'smart phone' buzz some 5 years ago (which isnt that long ago) and i dont think there is much more left that can be added to make it revolutionary.

again this is just a personal view, and i accept that some people will be drawn to bigger screens, faster processors, greater megapixels, preference of androids 'openess' etc - which is great - if we all liked/wanted the same things we'd all be walking around like robots and that would be really boring.

im not an apple 'fanboy' either - i never owned an apple device until they released the iphone but i'm just saying that its a bit far fetched to claim Apple are being lazy or that they dont have any innovation left in them.

for me - the iphone and ios do pretty much everything i need from a phone, but i would like the processors to be more powerful. design aesthetics are important to me and i was hoping for a much more refreshed design but hey its a bit like fashion, some designs are fads and some designs are timeless. imo iphone4 will stand the test of time.

battery life isnt an issue for me, nor is the need for NFC, or an FM radio - bigger screen is a must but not as big as the s3 pls (and i havent got a clue what an oled screen would mean)

without doubt i will be getting the new iphone because i'm on a 2 year cycle with my iphone4 and due an upgrade. but the main reason is that and i'm locked into the apple eco system (which doesnt bother me in the slightest as im happy that everything works perfectly as it meant to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Personally I find all those MacRumors stories on leaked parts of the phone incredibly sad. Oh look!!! The rear camera mounting is 0.00001mm smaller than the one on the 4S!!!!!!!!!!111

Really, who other than the most nerdy of nerds gives a toss... They would be far better sticking to the bigger picture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Usability they have alright, security also, but App Quality is debatable. Many apps are better on Android, also many other ones are better on iOS. Facebook sucked on iOS and was very good on Android for a long time till they updated the iOS one as one example. Some better free apps on Android too.
    Lots of fanboyism on here though from both sides! I have both Android and iOS (the joys of having two phones!), and each have their pro's and con's. I'll probably be in a position to get an iPhone 5 alright, so I probably will, but the new version of Air Play better have some feature to allow me to transfer pics and vids from my iPhone to other ones (so pathetic how you can't do that already), otherwise it'll suck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Usability they have alright, security also, but App Quality is debatable. Many apps are better on Android, also many other ones are better on iOS. Facebook sucked on iOS and was very good on Android for a long time till they updated the iOS one as one example. Some better free apps on Android too.
    Lots of fanboyism on here though from both sides! I have both Android and iOS (the joys of having two phones!), and each have their pro's and con's. I'll probably be in a position to get an iPhone 5 alright, so I probably will, but the new version of Air Play better have some feature to allow me to transfer pics and vids from my iPhone to other ones (so pathetic how you can't do that already), otherwise it'll suck.

Don't hold your breath. Apple deliberately crippled Bluetooth to stop sharing of copyright material, so they're hardly going to allow it another way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

New headphones now surfacing. Lets hope they put as much time into engineering/design of the new iPhone as they did with the new headphones and sync cable!

newheadphones2.jpg

DSCF8461-500x312.jpg

DSCF8464.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well this year i am upgrading my phone. My 3gs is getting old and slow at this stage. I am thinking of jumping android ship, but i am not that sure i want S3 for one major reason, that was mentioned - Its damn size!!!
    few people got s3 at work and that size really bothers me. i hate all sort of cases for phones, but s3 will deffo need one to keep it in one piece. so it will make it even bigger!!!

So i will deffo wait for iphone 5, to see whats the story with it. hopefully it wont be massive. The one major improvement i want to see ( and biggest reason i want an upgrade ) is a better camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

well this year i am upgrading my phone. My 3gs is getting old and slow at this stage. I am thinking of jumping android ship, but i am not that sure i want S3 for one major reason, that was mentioned - Its damn size!!!
    few people got s3 at work and that size really bothers me. i hate all sort of cases for phones, but s3 will deffo need one to keep it in one piece. so it will make it even bigger!!!

So i will deffo wait for iphone 5, to see whats the story with it. hopefully it wont be massive. The one major improvement i want to see ( and biggest reason i want an upgrade ) is a better camera.

The 4S has a decent camera, much better than the 3GS, so I imagine you'll get your wish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Looks like a plastic mock-up of the phone but gives a good idea what itll look like in the hand

Simply Red wrote: »
    Looks like a plastic mock-up of the phone but gives a good idea what itll look like in the hand

This is the phone that should have been released last year. It's just a stretched iPhone 4. Ridiculous. If it's as underpowered as I think it will be and not up to competeting with the rest, I'm jumping ship!
    Two years waiting for nothing special at all.

Btw, the two tone backing is ugly and clashes a lot with the less reflective metal back plate. It would have looked much nicer with an all metal back panel. Call this a rumour or whatever but it's most likely real.

camera looks tiny as feck ....

Its a mockup people. That prototype from the video above is just based on the leaks. They dont have the exact dimensions.

Also people who are just saying that its a "stretched" iPhone 4 is ridiculous. The fact is, aside from the increasingly evident design leaks, we really dont know a thing about the new phone, or how it will perform. If you want a big-ass (aka unusable) phone, get a Samsung.

"Not up to competing with the rest" - What does that even mean? Does it take longer for a phone call to go through? Apple have never participated in spec wars because they know they dont have to.

Its a mockup people. That prototype from the video above is just based on the leaks. They dont have the exact dimensions.

Also people who are just saying that its a "stretched" iPhone 4 is ridiculous. The fact is, aside from the increasingly evident design leaks, we really dont know a thing about the new phone, or how it will perform. If you want a big-ass (aka unusable) phone, get a Samsung.

"Not up to competing with the rest" - What does that even mean? Does it take longer for a phone call to go through? Apple have never participated in spec wars because they know they dont have to.

Spot on! Because apple users just pay for it as long as it has apple logo on it!!!!

*sorry, you just walked in to that one :D

Spot on! Because apple users just pay for it as long as it has apple logo on it!!!!

*sorry, you just walked in to that one :D

Not exactly, but fair point. It's because it still does the things I need it to. It still syncs perfectly with everything I own. It still has a better collection of quality applications. Yes most android apps are free and the quality is increasing but Apple still have the best I think. And I gladly pay for apps that are worth the money, apps like that are hard to come by on the google store

• Advertisement

It is a stretched out iPhone 4. Look at it. There is no smoke without fire. It's the same as every year and this year will be no different based on everything that's coming out.
    How will it perform? We don't know that but I'd put good money on it it will perform like the iPad 3 or slightly worse. Wondering if they'll up the CPU to 1GHz this time instead of 800mhz :rolleyes:

I think the comments about the Samsung is typical of a fanboy. It's not unusable at all. It would be too big for me but there are many many advantages to the size as well. Face it, the iPhone is too small for a lot of people and online polls have shown this. If Apple put in a 4.3" screen and gave the phone a lot of potential, you wouldn't be sitting around saying it would be too big for long.

This is what I've grown to hate about people who are blindly in love with Apple products, they don't always understand how good other technologies can be but are content to throw down on the rest of other manufactures improvements because it's "not necessary". It's a technological advancement, you should want it in your phone if you're paying good money for an expensive product.

Someone made the point that they didn't know what OLED was. Fair enough but it just goes to highlight my point that Apple users are not so tech savvy or interested in it unless Apple implements it into their devices.

If Apple don't start being more competitive they will lose more and more market share to Android but most importantly, to Samsung. If the iPhone was on Android, do you think people would actually buy it when they could get so much more for their money with a competing phone?

The way I see it is that Apple have managed to lock people into an ecosystem, me included, and rely on iOS to differenciate the iPhone enough away from Android so as to really separate it from being compared directly to the other manufactures stats. (I get they are different OS's and that's not exactly possible but the power gap is growing fast) Honestly it's only a matter of time before the iPhone starts starts to lose steam if Apple don't bother enough to actively challenge the S3. It's not gaining so much attention for nothing you know.

People won't keep buying it just because it's Apple once they see the vast differences growing between the iPhone and Android. I made the point that the only way Apple keeps expanding it's market is because they keep pushing it to new territories. But look how much the S3 and S2 have grown in attention and popularity?

OS's aside for a second, the S3 will be a far superior phone to the next iPhone. It's guaranteed. iOS makes things more tricky but I think Android is starting to leap bounds ahead of iOS and is adding things and going places Apple is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To the average end user in Ireland how is the S3 superior?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

gpf101 wrote: »

to the average end user in Ireland how is an iphone superior to a Nokia 3310?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

gpf101 wrote: »

in every single way it's superior as is Android.

watch all 5 videos in fact, sorry Apple fans the truth is here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It is a stretched out iPhone 4. Look at it. There is no smoke without fire. It's the same as every year and this year will be no different based on everything that's coming out.
    How will it perform? We don't know that but I'd put good money on it it will perform like the iPad 3 or slightly worse. Wondering if they'll up the CPU to 1GHz this time instead of 800mhz :rolleyes:

I think the comments about the Samsung is typical of a fanboy. It's not unusable at all. It would be too big for me but there are many many advantages to the size as well. Face it, the iPhone is too small for a lot of people and online polls have shown this. If Apple put in a 4.3" screen and gave the phone a lot of potential, you wouldn't be sitting around saying it would be too big for long.

This is what I've grown to hate about people who are blindly in love with Apple products, they don't always understand how good other technologies can be but are content to throw down on the rest of other manufactures improvements because it's "not necessary". It's a technological advancement, you should want it in your phone if you're paying good money for an expensive product.

Someone made the point that they didn't know what OLED was. Fair enough but it just goes to highlight my point that Apple users are not so tech savvy or interested in it unless Apple implements it into their devices.

If Apple don't start being more competitive they will lose more and more market share to Android but most importantly, to Samsung. If the iPhone was on Android, do you think people would actually buy it when they could get so much more for their money with a competing phone?

The way I see it is that Apple have managed to lock people into an ecosystem, me included, and rely on iOS to differenciate the iPhone enough away from Android so as to really separate it from being compared directly to the other manufactures stats. (I get they are different OS's and that's not exactly possible but the power gap is growing fast) Honestly it's only a matter of time before the iPhone starts starts to lose steam if Apple don't bother enough to actively challenge the S3. It's not gaining so much attention for nothing you know.

People won't keep buying it just because it's Apple once they see the vast differences growing between the iPhone and Android. I made the point that the only way Apple keeps expanding it's market is because they keep pushing it to new territories. But look how much the S3 and S2 have grown in attention and popularity?

OS's aside for a second, the S3 will be a far superior phone to the next iPhone. It's guaranteed. iOS makes things more tricky but I think Android is starting to leap bounds ahead of iOS and is adding things and going places Apple is not.

Seriously, the sooner the new iPhone is released, and you can go off and buy the S3 the better.....

Mactard wrote: »
    to the average end user in Ireland how is an iphone superior to a Nokia 3310?

:pac:

Exactly. I was actually about to make a similar point.

I'll be honest. I like iOS but if it's just not good value for money or I feel like this is growing stagnant in comparison to other phones than why would I waste my money.

What I really hate though is people claiming total loyalty to either side. Don't be so ignorant. The iPhone is not all that great and neither are a lot of Android devices but some do stand out to challenge it A LOT!

whiterebel wrote: »
    Seriously, the sooner the new iPhone is released, and you can go off and buy the S3 the better.....

You're such a fanboy it's unreal. I'll wait and see what's happening first but it's not looking good.

I'm in the ecosystem and I like it, but man has it gotten boring. But overall I still prefer it to Android. That's why I'm disappointed with Apple.

Seriously, the sooner you wake up and see things from a neutral perspective the better. The iPhone is not the undefeated champ of hardware and on the software side, it's getting very very challenged. And for good reason, Android is growing more rapidly and starting to offer much more than iOS.

I'm just looking at the situation at a distance and seeing the positives and negatives of both sides.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I've just seen/used the alternative, and I'm not a fan. Hardware spec (screen size means nothing to me). Its the quality of the overall phone and the way it works that matters to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Why does the screen of that phone look marbled in texture?

• Advertisement

Why does the screen of that phone look marbled in texture?

Because its not an actual phone

Advertisement