Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

1ZRed wrote: »
    You're such a fanboy it's unreal. I'll wait and see what's happening first but it's not looking good.

I'm in the ecosystem and I like it, but man has it gotten boring. But overall I still prefer it to Android. That's why I'm disappointed with Apple.

Seriously, the sooner you wake up and see things from a neutral perspective the better. The iPhone is not the undefeated champ of hardware and on the software side, it's getting very very challenged. And for good reason, Android is growing more rapidly and starting to offer much more than iOS.

I'm just looking at the situation at a distance and seeing the positives and negatives of both sides.

No, you want Apple to copy Samsung, and boy is it getting boring, you're actually worse than any fanboy. I use an iPhone because it works for me. Android, or W7 doesn't; its that simple. And if Apple went with a much bigger screen, my next phone wouldn't be an iPhone. I want a phone in my pocket, not a mini-tablet and you're one of a very small group of people I've come across who want it much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

jonnny68 wrote: »
    in every single way it's superior as is Android.

watch all 5 videos in fact, sorry Apple fans the truth is here!

Sorry but that video is just ridiculous. He's saying how Android is so simplified but the first bit he opens a link and then has to decide what with, that is the complete opposite of simple. Then he starts going through Android specific features. It's not a proper comparison. Does he list iOS specific features such as AirPlay, iMessage, iCloud, Game Centre, the massive app collection of over 600,000 apps (with over half of them optimised for the iPad) and the fact you don't have to worry about ever installing any malicious software. And I could go on.

Also, to everyone blabbering on about specs etc, none of that matters if the OS doesn't take advantage of the hardware. The only true way to see which performs faster is through benchmark tests or direct comparison. Which we'll have to wait until the new iPhone comes out to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

DubDJ wrote: »
    Sorry but that video is just ridiculous. He's saying how Android is so simplified but the first bit he opens a link and then has to decide what with, that is the complete opposite of simple. Then he starts going through Android specific features. It's not a proper comparison. Does he list iOS specific features such as AirPlay, iMessage, iCloud, Game Centre, the massive app collection of over 600,000 apps (with over half of them optimised for the iPad) and the fact you don't have to worry about ever installing any malicious software. And I could go on.

Also, to everyone blabbering on about specs etc, none of that matters if the OS doesn't take advantage of the hardware. The only true way to see which performs faster is through benchmark tests or direct comparison. Which we'll have to wait until the new iPhone comes out to see.

Watch all 5 videos and come back to me, this guy covers the whole spectrum right across the board,benchmarks mean absolutely nothing at all and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional, its user experience and Android (especially Jelly Bean 4.1) is the ultimate os.

I know the truth must hurt but this is how it is, Android as an OS is light years ahead of IOS.

And by the way Google play has as many if not more apps than the app store thesedays and far more that are free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Watch all 5 videos and come back to me, this guy covers the whole spectrum right across the board,benchmarks mean absolutely nothing at all and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional, its user experience and Android (especially Jelly Bean 4.1) is the ultimate os.

I watched that video and coming from a guy that hasn't owned an Android phone, it is very interesting. I don't see the problem with some of his complaints in that particular video (back button, who cares?) but overall I'm starting to come around to it. I have also grown to hate the cluttered home screen of the iPhone and I hate clutter so much that I keep the apps to a minimum.
    I know the truth must hurt but this is how it is, Android as an OS is light years ahead of IOS.

In some regards like multitasking and a lot of things, then yes it is. It is about user experience too though and getting a good mix of those two. The iPhone is starting to irritate me on some respects of how cumbersome it has to be sometimes, so much so that I'm starting to look elsewhere.
    And by the way Google play has as many if not more apps than the app store thesedays and far more that are free too.

Ok that's false. iOS has the biggest app catalog of any OS. That's a fact. iOS has the best developer support available for mobile devices. That's also a fact.

Can we keep the bias from both sides out of the discussion here please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, you want Apple to copy Samsung, and boy is it getting boring, you're actually worse than any fanboy. I use an iPhone because it works for me. Android, or W7 doesn't; its that simple. And if Apple went with a much bigger screen, my next phone wouldn't be an iPhone.

Right. Yeah I definitely am worse than a fanboy. I think I know a bit more about technology than you as well so I know what I'm missing out on when I settle with iPhone.

No, I want Apple to step it up and give me powerful hardware and give Samsung a good run for its money. That would be good for me and you as we would be getting the best possible product from Apple. I don't know why you're so content with getting lesser internals and a good few limitations just because it's Apple.
    But you like iPhone and it does everything for you, that's perfectly fine but have an open mind would you.

I'm in the middle ground here picking out the pros and cons of each OS and it's respected hardware so sorry if you're so offended that I'm bad mouthing some aspects of iPhone.
    I doubt I'm the only iPhone user doing this right now.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    I want a phone in my pocket, not a mini-tablet and you're one of a very small group of people I've come across who want it much bigger.

So what are you going to say when they release a 4" screen? No thanks? I want a 4-4.3" screen because that is best for the majority of people. That's nowhere near a mini tablet and I'll call you a hypocrite if you think an increase to 4" is perfectly fine. 3.5" not perfect anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Internal specs are not important 1ZRed.

Ask average consumers how much RAM their smart phone has. They won't know. Ask them is it fast enough or too slow. They will tell you which it is. Specifications are an enabler. It is up to Softwaee developers to use them to their potential.

I would love to know what tasks you do that make you say the iPhone is underpowered....

Of course benchmarks mean something. They show the true speeds and performance the hardware can achieve. To disagree with that makes you completely delusional. 4.1 added project butter. iOS has had that since 2007. To have a feature that basically makes the OS smooth so many years after the initial release is maddening to me. Android should of been built like that from day one.

And as said before the numbers I stated above are fact, not my opinion. And Android has not got those numbers. Especially not for tablets. iOS is a solid operating system. I wouldn't say it's 'light years' ahead of Android because it's not. Statements like that are for the fanboys out there. But it is the OS I prefer. It's simplicity, and that for me wins every time. Both OS's are pretty advanced now, still so different for each other but on par feature wise. But for me iOS is still my favourite. I can't see myself switching in the immediate future. Not unless something better comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm going to add my 2-cents in here...

I have an iPhone 3GS - it was my first smart phone, and I loved it (still love the wholesmart phone experience). I held off and held off when the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S came out but now there is a definite lag in terms of the usibility of the phone. iOS5 is making my phone crawl....so I am on the market for an upgrade.

My own opinion is that I feel a bit bored with iOS...I feel like I want to be able to tinker with my phone a bit more...break away from the shakles if you will and I think I'm going to jump to Android (S3 to be precise)

The bigger screen, powerful internals are all great but to be honest - I just want a change...I've been there done that with iOS (I also own a MB Pro and an iPad so I won't be fully out of the Apple ecosystem) but I do like to think of myself as a tech lover\embracer so I feel like I need to check out this very competitive OS, at least give it a shot and who knows.....It might be "baby, where have you been all my life" or "nah, its good but its no iOS".

I am a fanboy for neither, just a lover of all things tech. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Another video, I didn't see it in this thread yet.
    Could be fake mind.

biko wrote: »
    Another video, I didn't see it in this thread yet.
    Could be fake mind.

Yeah it is a fake. People have been making mockups of it the last few weeks. Sure on the one in the video the back plate is all metal, he didn't even get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Am I the only one that thinks the size of the current iphone is just right. The screen can be bigger but there's no need to change the size of the phone, they got it right the first time. Are apple really going to make some phone that looks like a htv one s or galaxy s3. I hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It'll be interesting to go back once the real deal is released and check these old videos, to see if anyone got it right/close.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Am I the only one that thinks the size of the current iphone is just right. The screen can be bigger but there's no need to change the size of the phone, they got it right the first time. Are apple really going to make some phone that looks like a htv one s or galaxy s3. I hope not.

No, I completely agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The width is perfect. It fits snugly in the hand. The S3 feels far too wide to me. I don't think a slightly longer phone would bother me, so long as it doesn't look comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Sharp2012

Couldn't agree more can text, dial, swipe and play games using one hand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Meh, I've got long fingers. Another few mm in width (not S111 size) would be my ideal and perfectly usable.

The longphone screen doesn't appeal to me at all, but I'll still walk over your corpses to get one on release day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I don't have long fingers and can easily touch the top, bottom and each side of the iPhone 4 while holding it in one hand. That means if the screen is made bigger it should still be easily usable in one hand. The only way it probably wouldn't is if the screen was bigger than the length of the whole iPhone 4 which isn't going to happen.

Back on topic...

So between now and Friday the invites should be sent out for the event next week. They usually send them a week beforehand. So probably on Wednesday.

Be interesting to see if everything goes ahead. I wasn't expecting the event till October but it seems to be next week going by the rumours, most from reputable sites who usually get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I think a phone should feel comfortable in your hand. After that, it's all about the OS for me.

I don't care about a quad core processor etc, I'll reserve that for my laptop/desktop needs - it's a damn phone!

I've recently come running back to the iPhone (cap in hand) purely because of the operating system. It's just better.

Yeah flashing ROMs etc is fun ONCE and then you realise the amount of stuff that doesn't work on ROMs (like the camera in one case :rolleyes:) then you revert.

Loving the 4s again. Not sure I'll bother with the 5 (although I will around Christmas I'm sure :)) for the moment.

4s feels right and as I said, it's all the about the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 frazzlerf92

Anyone have any ideas what price it is going to be? Think the release was going to be in 2 weeks but there putting it off for a while now due to delays in parts for the phone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anyone have any ideas what price it is going to be? Think the release was going to be in 2 weeks but there putting it off for a while now due to delays in parts for the phone..
    Lol where are you getting this from? pricing is usually the same as the last model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Wouldnt worry too much. Theres always a shortage of something every year. Plus if ireland aint getting it til the start of october then it should be good

This video sets my mind at ease a little with the new screen resolution. Looks pretty good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tcddentistry

So when is the new phone expected to come out?

So when is the new phone expected to come out?

September 21st for the US and between 1-2 weeks later for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Still no official announcement from Apple, would expect one in the next couple of days if event is supposed to be on 12th Sept.

Then this thread will go nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlanFurl

DubDJ wrote: »
    September 21st for the US and between 1-2 weeks later for Ireland.

That's prob a good guess, but I was in the Vodafone store in Dundrum a few days ago and they have been told Sept 21 for here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

AlanFurl wrote: »
    That's prob a good guess, but I was in the Vodafone store in Dundrum a few days ago and they have been told Sept 21 for here :)

They haven't been told anything, they are just speculating. Only apple knows the actual release date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still no official announcement from Apple, would expect one in the next couple of days if event is supposed to be on 12th Sept.

Then this thread will go nuts!
    If the event is happening next Wednesday, then the first reports of invites to an Apple event will start rolling in at around 7am San Francisco time tomorrow. That's 3 o'clock our time.
    Apple only send out the invites 7 days in advance.

If there are no invites tomorrow, then we know there's no event.

Advertisement