Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm all for a slightly bigger screen.

Another diagonal half-inch isn't going to make my pocket complain and is still not even in the ball park of tablet size.

And a radio. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I highly doubt it will be released this summer anymore.

According a friend who works for Apple, Apple have told all staff that they can't take holidays for the last 2 weeks in August, all of September and the first 2 weeks of October. This could indicate an October launch like the 4S. This was also the case for the 6 weeks before the launch of the new ipad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

According a friend who works for Apple, Apple have told all staff that they can't take holidays for the last 2 weeks in August, all of September and the first 2 weeks of October. This could indicate an October launch like the 4S. This was also the case for the 6 weeks before the launch of the new ipad.

So a period of 8 weeks that a huge staff force can't take leave because of a product launch!

Can't imagine that, nor can I imagine that it's legal either.

Anyhow, Sep/Oct Launch makes more sense as the 4s is only out 6 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple staff where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple staff where?

Cork

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

murpho999 wrote: »
    So a period of 8 weeks that a huge staff force can't take leave because of a product launch!

Can't imagine that, nor can I imagine that it's legal either.

Anyhow, Sep/Oct Launch makes more sense as the 4s is only out 6 months.

It's certainly legal, it's more or less totally up to the employer to specify when leave can be taken. A lot of companies define set periods when everyone must take their leave for instance. As long as people aren't prevented from taking their leave altogether during the year, Apple could define numerous leave blackout periods as they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I'v heard around end of Aug/Sept.. Hopefully..

Also hoping they go back to the old shape (iphone 3) as I find iphone 4 very bulky

I think the iPhone 4 design is nice but yes it is bulky. The iPhone 3GS design is dog ugly though and a step way back in terms of design.
    People the world over are bitching about the screen size and I think it will go
    4 inches. The screen is too small and 4.3" (galaxy s2) is the sweet spot.
    You'll have to adapt because all phone screens are getting bigger. If Apple reduces the bezel hugely, there won't be any problems texting or whatever else.

There will be only two possible release dates, June or October.
    August/September is when the macs/iPods get updated.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I think the iPhone 4 design is nice but yes it is bulky. The iPhone 3GS design is dog ugly though and a step way back in terms of design.
    You'll have to adapt because all phone screens are getting bigger. If Apple reduces the bezel hugely, there won't be any problems texting or whatever else.

That's when I stopped taking you serious.

An award winning design (which is same as earlier Iphone) that everyone found beautiful is ugly? Get up the yard.

Screen size is perfect. I find the Galaxy s2 just too big.

Also what is so good looking about that phone?

An award winning design (which is same as earlier Iphone) that everyone found beautiful is ugly? Get up the yard.

Clearly you don't get design. The 3GS was nice for its time but it is nowhere near as sleek and premium feeling as the iP4.
    The iPhone 4 was a big leap forward and the galaxy s2 is just as nice as the 4 but it's thinner and the bezel is also thinner so I think in some ways it's better.
    I'd still take the 4 over it because of its premium build/look.
    The screen is too small. Mark my words, it won't stay that small for long. It could go to nearly 4" but the point is, all the competition is going bigger and thinner so eventually the market demand will change on Apple.
    Look around on the internet to when the 4S was released, one of the main complaints was screen size didn't get bigger.
    I'm sure the next iPhone will have a nicer design than the 4 but if it goes the 3GS route, I'd find it hard to upgrade my iPhone 4.

Clearly you don't get design. The 3GS was nice for its time but it is nowhere near as sleek and premium feeling as the iP4.
    The iPhone 4 was a big leap forward and the galaxy s2 is just as nice as the 4 but it's thinner and the bezel is also thinner so I think in some ways it's better.
    The screen is too small. Mark my words, it won't stay that small for long. It could go to nearly 4" but the point is, all the competition is going bigger and thinner so eventually the market demand will change on Apple.
    Look around on the internet to when the 4S was released, one of the main complaints was screen size didn't get bigger.
    I'm sure the next iPhone will have a nicer design than the 4 but if it goes the 3GS route, I'd find it hard to upgrade my iPhone 4.

Getting design or not (what an arrogant thing to say). A good design is a good design and remember it's Apple who innovated these things, not Samsung and it's Apple who are selling a lot more than the competition so why are Samsung right and Apple wrong?

The way you are talking it's as if Apple have no idea bought design and only respond to competition.

Complants about 4s screen size, yes there was but did you see the Apple results during the week? The phone is a huge success. As usual, people complaining make the most noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I think it's very simple for me.
    I see all the other android etc phones that are out there,
    Yes some screens are nice etc but by a million miles the build quality and feel of the iPhone is far superior .
    Saying that I feel I new design is needed with a slightly bigger screen and slimmer device but remain the build quality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cork

Bulls**t then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The thing I hate about the samsung galaxy s2 is that for a class phone it has a real cheap plastic feel about it. IPhone wins on that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there is no way apple would announce to their employees there's a black out period this early. also who's to say it's for the iphone? the blackout could be for the back to school period where apple always announce new ipod's and get rid of old stock by flogging them with new computers.

teednab-el wrote: »
    The thing I hate about the samsung galaxy s2 is that for a class phone it has a real cheap plastic feel about it. IPhone wins on that department.

Yeah I agree with you there, thats why I said overall I like my iPhone 4 better.
    But I do like the thinness and shape of it though, if only it were made of better looking/quality materials.

Getting design or not (what an arrogant thing to say). A good design is a good design and remember it's Apple who innovated these things, not Samsung and it's Apple who are selling a lot more than the competition so why are Samsung right and Apple wrong?

The way you are talking it's as if Apple have no idea bought design and only respond to competition.

Complants about 4s screen size, yes there was but did you see the Apple results during the week? The phone is a huge success. As usual, people complaining make the most noise.

True but times change. Phone designs are like fashion, they will always evolve and never go back from a better design to a lesser one.

If Apple doesn't respond to the competition, then how the hell are they supposed to remain competitive? People only blindly buy products out of brand loyalty for so long if the product its self doesn't match or exceed the competition.

You need to calm down, I'm not saying Samsung is better overall but I like the way they are taking things from a design point of view. If it weren't for the fact that android isn't for me, I would consider buying one.

Granted Apple did innovate them but that doesn't mean they will be market leaders for ever because of that. Look at Sony's downfall as an example.

And I'm just talking about the external(design aspects of the iPhone), the hardware and software are of very high quality so that alone is why people upgraded so readily to the 4S.
    I know loads of people who have iPhones and say that the screen is quite small and that overall it is on the thick side, so I think I'm justified in wanting a better product for my money.
    If Apple doesn't "innovate" and evolve their product when the competition is going above and beyond (not talking software) then they will eventually lose my money and other customers also. But for the time being, I'm very happy with my iPhone and I think the sum of all the parts makes it better than android to me. That could change down the line though...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

From a purely design POV, the 3 looks better than the 4.

And yes i 'get' design.

To me the iPhone 4 is a better looking device. Eronomically though, I'd say the 3GS would be more comfortable.
    But I prefer form over function!;)

Iphone+4+vs+iPhone+3GS.jpg

iphone-4g-vs-iphone-3gs.jpg

It's all up to personal preference at the end of the day but if they go back to this design, I won't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

design is a subjective matter, its not like measuring processor speeds, megapixels etc where you can clearly say one is better/greater than the other - design is a personal preference...

IMO iphone 4 is a much classier design than the 3gs.
    3gs seems dated while the 4 is all very minimal and has a solid build.
    i've dropped mine over and over (from about a metre high) and its in perfect shape.

i think i read somewhere that apple dont listen to consumers - they tell consumers what they want.

while i would like a bigger screen i dont want to lose the solid build and feel.
    i carry my iphone in my back pocket most of the time so often sit on it without any worries - i feel that if i sat on a S2 it would split in half, it just feels too flimsy (not saying that functionally its not a great phone).

whatever the next iteration, it'll be a best seller.

i'd like the release to be June, but feel it will be october (which, i guess, will be apple's new cycle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Much prefer the feel of the 3GS as well. It doesn't feel as sturdy as the 4, but that feeling is incredibly misleading. Every single person I know IRL who owns an iPhone 4, has managed to crack it at some stage. It's a phenomenally fragile device. Conversely, the SGS2, which feels cheap and nasty is a far more robust phone.

I also liked the look of the 4, although I've always thought that there was far too much bezel on the front; and that view has only gotten stronger over time. I've used the analogy many times before but every time I look at the iPhone 4/4S I think of the older iMacs and their huge chins. They looked great in they're time, but they just look odd and dated now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That's not my experience at all, as per the poster above, in 18 months or so I've dropped mine a lot with no issues on to wood and carpet. Similarly with everyone I know who has one (10+) except for one which was dropped from a height on to tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

the battery life needs to be improved before they do anything else. I have a 4S and the battery is stupidly bad

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Apple need to seriously up their game with the 5. With the HTC One X and upcoming Samsung Galaxy S3 if they do another crappy release like with no particularly impressive new features then it will be very disappointing. Look, they are always going to sell zillions of them just because it has iPhone written on it. Apple will take one very 'meh' feature and make it seems like the greatest invention since the wheel. It would just be nice to see them actually keeping up with the rest of the market and preferably innovating ahead of them. I wouldn't old my breath though.

copacetic wrote: »
    That's not my experience at all, as per the poster above, in 18 months or so I've dropped mine a lot with no issues on to wood and carpet. Similarly with everyone I know who has one (10+) except for one which was dropped from a height on to tiles.

That goes for me too. I've even dropped it on Tarmac and while I was drunkenly dancing, it went flighing out of my pocket across the room. All without a scratch or a chip.
    I don't know any one who has actually damaged their iPhone 4 after dropping it.
    The next iPhone will be tougher anyway in glass and or metal if rumours are to be believed.

Zascar wrote: »
    Apple need to seriously up their game with the 5. With the HTC One X and upcoming Samsung Galaxy S3 if they do another crappy release like with no particularly impressive new features then it will be very disappointing. Look, they are always going to sell zillions of them just because it has iPhone written on it. Apple will take one very 'meh' feature and make it seems like the greatest invention since the wheel. It would just be nice to see them actually keeping up with the rest of the market and preferably innovating ahead of them. I wouldn't old my breath though.

I agree with you. Apple can only keep that up as long as they don't tarnish their brand with these good but lacklustre improvements.
    I get that they're all about the UI (which is better and more streamlined compared to android) but the hardware limitations are growing annoying.
    Why has Apple gone crazy limiting some features on their devices now is beyond me.
    I really want an iPad but man I would've gotten it in a heart beat if it was more powerful and had an SD slot or a 32GB entry point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm kind out of the loop when it comes to the numerous Android handsets, but what exactly are they offering now in the way of hardware features that's superior to the iPhone?

I'm kind out of the loop when it comes to the numerous Android handsets, but what exactly are they offering now in the way of hardware features that's superior to the iPhone?

Well now that we know the A5X is going to be in the iPhone 5,
    -Better CPU, More cores, Higher clock speeds. (Overall a 2012 CPU as apposed to 2011 CPU in iPhone 5/iPad 3)

-More RAM (It could go up to 1GB for iP5)

-More open nature, more freedom with accessories, memory upgrades etc.

That said though, the 4S was the most powerful phone on the market at the time even though it had specs that were weaker than the competition, so it speaks volumes about the software that is optimised for the iPhone.
    That and the support anduser experience that Apple keeps banging on about is what is keeping the iPhone ahead of android even though it is at a technological disadvantage.

EDIT: I should note that in graphics, Apple is way ahead and is up to 2x more powerful than the Tegra 3 gpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

NFC, better cameras, form choice. Apple wins in terms of software but if the hardware doesn't get changed there's not going to be a substantive reason to upgrade. 4s is a perfect example, while there have been some hardware improvements the aesthetic has remained the same and it's not exactly the svelte form factor when you compare to the one x or even sg2.
    Apple used to innovate but they just appear to be playing catch up with android. Also with android you have a huge range of manufacturers which cater for each market segment. Apple is only aiming at the top end of the market, people who are spending real money and expect it to be latest and greatest and while some people will buy into the brand there is a large segment of the demographic who just want the coolest gadget and if apple don't come up with something radically different they will move to android

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hmmm, everything you guys just described are spec bumps. Adding more memory, cores, megapixels, etc to a device is not innovation. I'm talking about new features that allow you do something that you couldn't do before. Apple have always prioritised the user experience (which they define in terms of software and design) over having the latest and greatest specs.

• Advertisement

swampy353 wrote: »
    NFC, better cameras, form choice. Apple wins in terms of software but if the hardware doesn't get changed there's not going to be a substantive reason to upgrade. 4s is a perfect example, while there have been some hardware improvements the aesthetic has remained the same and it's not exactly the svelte form factor when you compare to the one x or even sg2.
    Apple used to innovate but they just appear to be playing catch up with android. Also with android you have a huge range of manufacturers which cater for each market segment. Apple is only aiming at the top end of the market, people who are spending real money and expect it to be latest and greatest and while some people will buy into the brand there is a large segment of the demographic who just want the coolest gadget and if apple don't come up with something radically different they will move to android

And that's why Apple can't compete. They are better staying true to their own Values rather than worrying about Android....

Advertisement