Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Giblet wrote: »
    What exactly do you need to do on a phone that requires 4 cores?
    buttery smooth scrolling amirite?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    But why wouldn't 'The new iPad' make it hard to differentiate from the previous two models? I think Apple should of went with 'The new iPhone'. Having an iPhone 5 that's sixth generation running iOS 6 is a stupid idea imo. I think they should drop the number now, since they did the same with the iPad. Fit in with the rest of the product lines.

The iPad is different. They are only selling one previous iPad model at the moment and that's probably only temporary until the iPad mini is launched. Where as they are still making and selling 2 previous iPhone models and will likely continue to do so. Jump forward a year from now and there's going to be a lot of confusion. Customers will have to choose between the new "new iPhone" and the old "new iPhone" and the iPhone 4S.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Giblet wrote: »
    What exactly do you need to do on a phone that requires 4 cores?

Things you/I can't even imagine doing with it? I didn't need a dual core phone a couple of years ago, but I couldn't contemplate going back now, if quad core is on offer uses will be found for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The iPad is different. They are only selling one previous iPad model at the moment and that's probably only temporary until the iPad mini is launched. Where as they are still making and selling 2 previous iPhone models and will likely continue to do so. Jump forward a year from now and there's going to be a lot of confusion. Customers will have to choose between the new "new iPhone" and the old "new iPhone" and the iPhone 4S.

But I'm sure Apple plan on selling them as the 2011 model, 2012 model etc. Or even the 4th gen and 5th gen. That would clear up any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

just take my money and give me one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Couldn't give a fiddlers what they call it as long as it's a big enough jump in design and features from the 4/4S. I didn't bother with the 4S for that reason. I still have my 2+ year old 4 and will be keeping it if what's announced on the 12th isn't significant.
    If the rumour mill is correct then that's not enough for me but I have a feeling Apple have something up their sleeves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I'll be moving from Android to this bad-boy as a Christmas present to myself - There's nothing wrong with Android or anything, but I kinda think of it in as I would do in from moving from Pepsi to Coca-Cola.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hope 3 do another offer like the iphone 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

It looks a bit too elongated (if what's been posted will be the actual form and size). Would need to be a bit wider too.

Happy with my 4s for the time being. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i think i'll wait for the iphone 5s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Have an iPhone 4 for 2 years now. Couldn't justify using my upgrade for the 4S so I hung on for this. From all the reading I have done I am not confident that the new phone is going to blow me away at all. Wondering is it really worth signing up for another 18mth contract for.

What are the advantages going to be? None of the IOS6 benefits count as they would be on my iPhone 4 anyway (well most of them).

- Larger Screen
    - Better Battery?
    - Better Camera?
    - Faster
    - Siri

What else do we think can justify upgrading from the 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

Was there a mention of no NFC with the iPhone 5??

Perhaps another iPhone with NFC (when it really takes off) is scheduled for March....5s or something! I hope not though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    - Better Battery?
    - Better Camera?
    - Faster
    - Siri

What else do we think can justify upgrading from the 4?

apples biggest selling point always. the fact its the new iphone.

have you not read the news? samsung copy apple and all their products are identical, just cheaper.
    Definately get the new iphone because you will look cool with it.
    id guess looking at current contracts, most providers will be sticking up 24month contracts even for the most part

kenyard wrote: »
    apples biggest selling point always. the fact its the new iphone.

have you not read the news? samsung copy apple and all their products are identical, just cheaper.
    id guess looking at current contracts, most providers will be sticking up 24month contracts even for the most part

I was very close to getting the S3 when it came out, but given I have an iPad I decided against it. I suppose I like the fact they sync and work the same and I like the fact that "It just works".

As weird as it may seem it would bother me to have an Android phone and an IOS tablet. Don't know what to do. Suppose I'll just have to wait for another week and 2 hours to find out for definite re the iPhone and make a decision after that. I just expected more changes I guess, at least in the design. I accept that they can only do so much regarding software and functions. But a taller iPhone 4 is not what I had in mind at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Have an iPhone 4 for 2 years now. Couldn't justify using my upgrade for the 4S so I hung on for this. From all the reading I have done I am not confident that the new phone is going to blow me away at all. Wondering is it really worth signing up for another 18mth contract for.
    I'm the same as you, and also not madly impressed with the new one.

The way I look at it is however is I need an upgrade to a faster phone to take advantage of the latest tech (including iOS 6), and I do want a bigger (wider :mad:) screen.

The next iPhone will likely only be a 5S by which point my 4 will be on it's knees. Might as well upgrade every couple of years with the new look device, I say. And this year will be a bigger spec and tech bump than next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Maybe the 12 - 5 means fifth of December

kenyard wrote: »

Somebody's spending too much time on Google+ reading the rubbish, generic anti-apple posts on there.

The Galaxy SIII and the iPhone 4S are roughly priced the same. Sometimes one is more expensive than the other, depending on where you buy it from.

Both phones are not the same, specs wise the SIII is actually faster. However that's comparing a 2011 phone with a 2012 one. The real comparison should be between the SIII and the iPhone 5 released next week. Until then it's all rumour and speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Quazzie wrote: »
    Maybe the 12 - 5 means fifth of December

Nyet, Commrade! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

Apple's invitation to the iPhone event on the 12 September. The iPhone is supposed to be being released 10 days after this event.
    iphone-5-event.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

niallharty wrote: »
    Apple's invitation to the iPhone event on the 12 September. The iPhone is supposed to be being released 10 days after this event.
    iphone-5-event.jpg

Probably in the US, not here?

niallharty wrote: »
    iphone-5-event.jpg

Someone's late to the party :D If you scroll back a few posts you'll see details of the rumoured release dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Alleged authentic iPhone 5

It's most likely real. Hardly much thinner and just looks like a stretched iPhone 4 to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

Mactard wrote: »

I'm on a waiting list for it but still wont lay down a cent until I see what Apple show off.

who are you on a waiting list with?

I just can't wait for next week to get definitive confirmation of what's actually been added. It'll be interesting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

dubmick wrote: »
    who are you on a waiting list with?

He's on the same waiting list as all of us....the imaginary one.

I've had every phone on launch day, and the only one i've been dissapointed with was the 4s, terrible battery life, and lots of problems when ever i leave a wifi zone.

Unless the new phone has some ground breaking features i won't be getting it on launch day, i'll hold out this time and see how everyone gets on with it in the states..couldn't hack having trouble with it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eeloe wrote: »
    He's on the same waiting list as all of us....the imaginary one.

I've had every phone on launch day, and the only one i've been dissapointed with was the 4s, terrible battery life, and lots of problems when ever i leave a wifi zone.

Unless the new phone has some ground breaking features i won't be getting it on launch day, i'll hold out this time and see how everyone gets on with it in the states..couldn't hack having trouble with it all the time.

A few things for me here.

Why would anyone get a new iPhone every year? Very expensive upgrades.

What "ground-breaking" features are you looking for?

I jumped from 3GS to 4s and battery life improvement was enormous.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

murpho999 wrote: »
    A few things for me here.

Why would anyone get a new iPhone every year? Very expensive upgrades.

What "ground-breaking" features arey looking for?

I jumped from 3GS to 4s and battery life improvement was enormous.

I was lucky enough to have upgrades available on my contracts with carriers to get a new iphone on launch every year, as i'm only 12 months in to my current contract, i won't have access to an upgrade for a while, so if the 5 launches in October here, I'll have to buy it sim free if i want it, so it'll be the first time i'll be shelling out top dollar for an iPhone for the first time.

Ground breaking features, i'd consider a much improved battery, a hell of a lot more RAM, and a much faster processor to be ground breaking in a mobile decive, we've seen the specs of some of the android coming out lately, and i feel apple are really going to have to step up the game with this device.

I'm not hating, but i'm meerly saying it'll have to be a much better phone to get people to upgrade.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to have upgrades available on my contracts with carriers to get a new iphone on launch every year, as i'm only 12 months in to my current contract, i won't have access to an upgrade for a while, so if the 5 launches in October here, I'll have to buy it sim free if i want it, so it'll be the first time i'll be shelling out top dollar for an iPhone for the first time.

Ground breaking features, i'd consider a much improved battery, a hell of a lot more RAM, and a much faster processor to be ground breaking in a mobile decive, we've seen the specs of some of the android coming out lately, and i feel apple are really going to have to step up the game with this device.

I'm not hating, but i'm meerly saying it'll have to be a much better phone to get people to upgrade.

Would it not be cheaper to buy out a few months of your contract to get you an upgrade rather than fork out full whack for a sim free iPhone 5?

Advertisement