Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

1ZRed wrote: »
    Clearly you have no clue about the technology. OLEDs are the next gen of screen technology and it will be replacing LED TVs before 4K comes in.

OLED is leaps and bounds ahead of LCD. Offering true blacks of much much higher contrasts/instant response times, very vivid, sharp and realistic colours, far greater power efficiency, much thinner and lighter panels and it is in theory, more cost efficient to produce than LCDs. It's life span has recently been brought up to that of LCD (not that it would even matter, you'd replace the mobile before than anyway whether OLED or LCD)

There is no denying that "buzz" behind OLED is there for a reason. It's superior in every single way and actually improves the appearance of resolution by offering a true contrast as sharper image. It'll replace all LCD producs in the coming years. It's a guarantee.

thank for educating me, as i said i dont see waht the buzz is about which doesnt 'clearly' show anything.

i did check wikipedia which informs me that: its more expensive to produce currently; has only greater power efficiency when displaying black but worse power consumption when displaying other colour; and blues only have a life span of 5 years.

fair enough though, i can see it could be an attraction to some, especially with the faster response times which would be great for gaming.

i remember seeing some buzz about how it could be used as a flexible surface (http://inhabitat.com/samsung-to-launch-flexible-oled-cell-phone-next-year/)

Now that would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

maximoose wrote: »
    Honestly, I can't believe people still pay this much for a monthly contract.
    Whats wrong with it? the FUP on my contract is 45000 mins, 10000 texts and 15gb data. Before I went on bill I was spending at least €20 a week on credit for just calls and texts and that was trying to use the phone only when I had to, to me the plan I'm on is a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

True. But it's still very predictable, and considering the new iPhone may well lack quad-core, it'll be less powerful than the S3. I'm very confident that it will not be as powerful as the S3, even with a near 6 month advantage.

The GS2 was more powerful on a lot of levels compared to the 4S even. It seems like Samsung's push to drive a beast of a phone will beat out the next iPhone easily on even more levels.
    what use is all the power if it runs slower on benchmark tests
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/11/iphone-4s-vs-android-benchmarks-posted-even-the-galaxy-s-ii-is-getting-smoked-for-now-at-least/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Supply constraints is actually a valid reason, considering Samsung is the only real big producer of them.

The limitations in resolution though is not accurate. The S3 has a 1280x720 resolution which is far higher than the iPhone and has a ppi of 302 which is near the iPhone's pixel density.

There is no "Retina quality". It's just pixel density at a certain distance from the viewer. There's no image quality that brands it "Retina", just that.
    So with that in mind, the iPhone is Retina at 326ppi on a 3.5" at 12 inches IIRC. Whereas the S3 is of higher resolution and nearing that on a 4.8" screen. Adjusting the "Retina formula" to factor in the larger screen and a larger viewing distance, I'm sure Apple could easily brand it Retina.

It's a very manipulatable term Apple has invented and it's not based on ppi on its own, rather, viewing distance + ppi. The Retina MacBook pro and iPad 3 are proof of that (both having lower pixel density), yet still meet the "Retina display" standard.

The only reason why I'm talking about OLED often is because if they aren't going to make the screen much bigger, and since the resolution and screen size is lower than that of other OLED devices, why aren't they pushing and investing in OLED?

Supply constraints is understandable but they have the money to make it happen, and considering it's going to replace LCD in future, it would be wise to invest IMO.

As I said at the time the screen ppi wasn't satisfactory for Apple. I realise the other parts that are taken into thw whole formula such as screen distance. But I don't think Samsung can make a high enough ppi screen to live up to the 'Retina' quality Apple currently has. The S3 has a far bigger screen at 4.8'' so that pixel density is stretched. I can see it happening in the future just not until Apple feels the technology is fully ready. They're not known for jumping on new things before they're up to scratch.

Some iPhone 5 concept features. The last one is pretty ridiculous. I really would love the wireless charging, for me that would be one of the top features on my wishlist :D Maybe sometime in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    It was confirmed a while ago that Google are working on their own apps to replace Maps and Youtube.

Will Apple verify the apps and put them in the App Store though?
    If they are in compliance with the rules of the App Store, I see no reason why not. A better question is whether the apps will be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

If they are in compliance with the rules of the App Store, I see no reason why not. A better question is whether the apps will be any good.

Why would they bother building something that isnt as good as the original?

I would actually pay to have the maps app on my phone. Id miss streetview.

I thought I had read somewhere before about Apple being sticky with certain Apps and not wanting them in the App store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    Some iPhone 5 concept features. The last one is pretty ridiculous. I really would love the wireless charging, for me that would be one of the top features on my wishlist :D Maybe sometime in the future.

I fell for that until the rubber band technology!! Good vid though.

kceire wrote: »
    I fell for that until the rubber band technology!! Good vid though.

Haha just a concept video. Unlike most of the ejits online trying to pass fakes off as the real deal, this chap often does concepts for Apple devices. He's pretty talented. Apple will probably offer him a job soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Does anyone know from previous iPhone launches, will you be able to buy the iPhone 5 off apple.ie unlocked from day one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Davexirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know from previous iPhone launches, will you be able to buy the iPhone 5 off apple.ie unlocked from day one?

Usually a couple o weeks afterwards iirc.
    You used to be able to pre order it for the Belfast store which is what I done for the IP4. We won't know for sure until the 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Davexirl wrote: »

Yeah it probably will be the case with the iPhone 5. I pre-ordered my 4s a week before launch from the apple site.

In Ireland there's not pre-orders. Only in the US. The US will get them September 21st according to rumours. But Ireland will get them 1-2 weeks later. Then you can order from the Irish Apple Store.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

In Ireland there's not pre-orders. Only in the US. The US will get them September 21st according to rumours. But Ireland will get them 1-2 weeks later. Then you can order from the Irish Apple Store.

Oh, so it's changed since last year? Would you have a source for your info that you could post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Thankfully I'm in the US so may just pick one up on launch week. Still have the 3GS so if I can cut down the sim card to fit the 5 i'll definately be picking one up shortly enough.

Mactard wrote: »
    Oh, so it's changed since last year? Would you have a source for your info that you could post?

No, last year was the same. Apple have never offered preorders in Ireland for any iPhone or iPad ever. Not from the Irish Online Store anyways. And usually a few weeks later Ireland gets a date we can order the iPhone from. But usually with a 2-3 week shipping time. Last year we got the 4S 2 weeks after the US. That could be the same this year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No, last year was the same. Apple have never offered preorders in Ireland for any iPhone or iPad ever. Not from the Irish Online Store anyways. And usually a few weeks later Ireland gets a date we can order the iPhone from. But usually with a 2-3 week shipping time. Last year we got the 4S 2 weeks after the US. That could be the same this year.

You can't be right as I placed my order for the iphone 4s on the 21-10-11, release date was the 28-10-11 in ireland. This was from the irish apple online store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

You can't be right as I placed my order for the iphone 4s on the 21-10-11, release date was the 28-10-11 in ireland. This was from the irish apple online store.
    Do you remember what the US release date was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

If the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 was available with iOS I'd probably be tempted to ditch my iPhone 4S and buy one!

But then I should qualify that and say that I only use my iPhone for internet and emails....not calls or texts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Gekko wrote: »
    If the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 was available with iOS I'd probably be tempted to ditch my iPhone 4S and buy one!

But then I should qualify that and say that I only use my iPhone for internet and emails....not calls or texts.
    Ipad?

Yeah sorry your correct. I honestly don't remember there being pre-orders for us. I think because the 4S was so similar parts wise demand wasn't too much for them, which is why they offered pre-orders over here. This time the design has completely changed, so I'd say there'll be a slim chance of pre-orders for Ireland. I really hope I'm wrong though. Be great to get an order in early. I remember waiting for the iPhone 4. Longest 3 weeks of my life, using some basic cheap phone while I was waiting. And that was over a month after it was announced. Or even longer since it was leaked online too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

As I said above, I pre-ordered my 4S from apple a week in advance from launch last year. It was delivered a week after launch. I think that was the first time they allowed advance pre-orders for Irish customers, hopefully it will be the same this year. There might be a longer delivery time though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Thankfully I'm in the US so may just pick one up on launch week. Still have the 3GS so if I can cut down the sim card to fit the 5 i'll definately be picking one up shortly enough.

Doubt that you will be able to do this as the new iPhone is expected to have the new nano sims...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Will Apple verify the apps and put them in the App Store though?
    Why would they bother building something that isnt as good as the original?

I would actually pay to have the maps app on my phone. Id miss streetview.

I thought I had read somewhere before about Apple being sticky with certain Apps and not wanting them in the App store.
    Considering Apple allow the main Google App, Gmail, Google+ and Chrome - some or all of which compete with Apple apps - it would be odd for them to bar Google Maps.

Perhaps they might disallow a turn-by-turn feature were Google to implement one as that seems to be the differentiating feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dades wrote: »
    Perhaps they might disallow a turn-by-turn feature were Google to implement one as that seems to be the differentiating feature.
    Then they'd have to ban the other turn-by-turn apps.

I don't see them suddenly banning Google apps anyway. For the end-user, the availability of apps can be a deciding factor in the same way that if Microsoft weren't allowed create MS Office for the Mac, then businesses wouldn't use Macs except for graphic design.
    So there would be no benefit for Apple to ban Google's apps, as the availability of those apps on the Android platform could be a deciding factor in sales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seamus wrote: »
    Then they'd have to ban the other turn-by-turn apps.
    They get a good piece of the pie from other satnav apps though! But you're probably right. :)

You'd have to think too that apple might be a little bit cautious with anticompetitive practices after that ebook price fixing fiasco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Advertisement