Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

:)

Given the similarities between the iphone 4(s) and this... surely Apple can countersue?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Anyone know anyplace in Dublin where you can get a nano sim cutter. I'm with 48 and I don't think they will be supplying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There's even a few in this very thread "any bigger than 4" is too big", "who needs nfc, nobody uses it", "I don't need a quad" and here's the best one "Internal specs are not important" Big WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This thread seems unusually quiet given that the launch is just days away.:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    This thread seems unusually quiet given that the launch is just days away.:confused:

Maybe the fanboy muppets are maturing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think the iPhone has been discussed, argued over and debated at length at this stage. No new rumours or leaks in the last few days. I'm hoping for a few small surprised from Apple on Wednesday. Maybe software related. I'll be upgrading for the extra storage anyways but would like a few extra's thrown in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

tallpaul wrote: »
    Doubt that you will be able to do this as the new iPhone is expected to have the new nano sims...

I apologise if this is a silly question, but I'm using a prepay Nokia C3 from O2 at the moment and I hope to convert to a prepay iPhone 5 upon release having never owned an iPhone before. Will it be a simple case of taking the sim out of my current phone and slipping it into the iPhone 5, or will there be some sort of issue there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

We all know how it's going to turn out with all the leaks. Bar a few little minor "surprises", it's going to be underwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

xerces wrote: »
    I apologise if this is a silly question, but I'm using a prepay Nokia C3 from O2 at the moment and I hope to convert to a prepay iPhone 5 upon release having never owned an iPhone before. Will it be a simple case of taking the sim out of my current phone and slipping it into the iPhone 5, or will there be some sort of issue there?

New SIM - no problem, SIMs get old, so this is good.

Transfer your contacts as a VCF file to your computer by Bluetooth

Transfer them to the new iPhone

Back up using iTunes regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Its been so leaked that theres nothing really surprising coming on the 12th, unless apple have managed to troll everyone, which i doubt.

even though i'm not overly impressed by ios 6 and the handset, i'll be upgrading simply because i already own a good ICS handset, so i'll have the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement

OK, so another silly question, let's say I order the new phone online from O2, would the phone arrive with the new SIM included or is there a separate procedure for changing over? I'm wondering how my phone number gets assigned to the new SIM, I've had the same one for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

OK, so another silly question, let's say I order the new phone online from O2, would the phone arrive with the new SIM included or is there a separate procedure for changing over? I'm wondering how my phone number gets assigned to the new SIM, I've had the same one for a very long time.

I think you go in and collect the iPhone in an o2 shop and they set up the new SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Back up using iTunes regularly.
    You don't need to anymore. The iPhone can back up to iCloud automatically.

If I was you I'd order online from Apple. You'll get the phone sim free. Then just pop into O2 and they'll port your number over to one of the new nano-sims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

DubDJ wrote: »
    If I was you I'd order online from Apple. You'll get the phone sim free. Then just pop into O2 and they'll port your number over to one of the new nano-sims.

But it costs 100% more? He's talking about SIM sizes, not changing providers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

miralize wrote: »
    Only costs €33 more if going for the 64GB current 4S, and I'd imagine the new iPhone will keep pretty close to the current 4S pricing.

Transfer your contacts as a VCF file to your computer by Bluetooth

import your contacts to gmail or outlook depending on what you use

tell itunes to use gmail or outlook to sync your contacts

Transfer them to the new iPhone via itunes

Back up using icloud automatically.

amended that to add a few steps.

miralize wrote: »

He's buying it prepay. It's like €579 from O2. Or €599 from apple. (€609 now because of VAT increase but Apple will probably drop down to the normal price). So for the extra €20 - €30 he'll get it sim free. Better option IMO.

I think I'll buy sim-less from apple.ie, then bring my current sim card into an O2 store to get switched to a nano-sim.

I don't know about O2, but I presume pre-order is also a possibility with Apple, I guess we'll find out a lot more this week. Thanks for the help.

I think I'll buy sim-less from apple.ie, then bring my current sim card into an O2 store to get switched to a nano-sim.

I don't know about O2, but I presume pre-order is also a possibility with Apple, I guess we'll find out a lot more this week. Thanks for the help.

The 4S was the first time they offered pre-order for Ireland. Can't say if they'll do the same with the 5. Just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

26442579.jpg

In regards to the sim posts. Would it not just be easier to snip down the sim. I went into Carphone warehouse after I got my 4s and they did it for nothing. The next questions is who will have a nano sim cutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it depends though the only difference between full sized sims and micro sims was the size of the plastic around the gold contacts.

are nano sims not smaller again but the gold contacts are skinnier but more elongated to fill up more of the plastic of the sim*

* i have no idea really

From looking at pics of them it looks like all the plastic is stripped and it's just the metal contact. Hopefully it will be possible to just cut down.

Tbh I don't have any idea either :/

By the looks of these from the link below it seems like the nano sims could he cut down. But I'd say they'll be readily available at launch. The microsim rollout didn't take too long.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/04/nano-sims-begin-arriving-at-telcos-ahead-of-new-iphone-launch/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

DubDJ wrote: »
    The 4S was the first time they offered pre-order for Ireland. Can't say if they'll do the same with the 5. Just have to wait and see.

I didn't think they did pre-orders for the 4s? when i went in to 02 and asked them about pre-order for the 4s before it came to ireland, they said we don't do pre-orders anymore

leemaree wrote: »

I didn't think they did pre-orders for the 4s? when i went in to 02 and asked them about pre-order for the 4s before it came to ireland, they said we don't do pre-orders anymore

Sorry I meant to say, from the Apple Online Store. They let people pre-order from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Three texted me that I'm due an upgrade now, any news on a pre-order scheme from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Three texted me that I'm due an upgrade now, any news on a pre-order scheme from them?

How long are you with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 AlanFurl

dmcg90 wrote: »

Apparently there is a list they have of customers who want an iphone 5. Apparently my name is on the list. They were ringing me about an upgrade. From talking to the Three person on the phone it all sounded very vague. There was no indication of a plan of action, whether they would send one out or you collect in your nearest store.

Advertisement