Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

someone has too much time on his hands, lol :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-MjrNKIVrQs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Gekko wrote: »

You had me till it got to the "fingerprint scan built into home button" bit :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Dades wrote: »
    Is the only way to avoid losing your historical benefits to buy sim free?

I've got tethering, data roaming and 2GB data with Vodafone, and have served my contract. Do they perhaps negotiate with out-of-contactors?

I have the contract your on and unless Vodafone drop the monthly price and let me keep the worldwide data roaming I'll be getting my iPhones sim free from Apple...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'd quite like mission control though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

PogMoThoin wrote: »

There's even a few in this very thread "any bigger than 4" is too big", "who needs nfc, nobody uses it", "I don't need a quad" and here's the best one "Internal specs are not important" Big WTF

Someone posted this on my FB page yesterday. I have uttered every line in that at least once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I stopped watching when it said "all new design"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why would anyone want finger print to unlock. Finger print scanning technology is terribly expensive for the reliable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Anyone know how long Apple usually take to post the full WWDC up on the web to see? Will it be up on Wednesday evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yeah it should be available at the bottom of the homepage a few hours after it finishes

miralize wrote: »
    Yeah it should be available at the bottom of the homepage a few hours after it finishes

Sweet. Might avoid the blogs at 6pm (by going the cinema) and just watch it in full online to enjoy it more. How sad :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i find it much more exciting watching the blogs and then trying to post here before everyone else lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

If that's true, I think it's completely weird. Though I thought that when they named the last iPad, new iPad.
    It sounds ridiculous in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭southafrica2010

What is d advantage of nano sim as talked about in the new iPhone 5?

If that's true, I think it's completely weird. Though I thought that when they named the last iPad, new iPad.
    It sounds ridiculous in every respect.

I think it weird as well:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

leemaree wrote: »

They're gonna patent New and make sure no one else can release any new phones!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If they were going with "The New iPhone" why release the following :

apple-sept-12.jpg

To me, that leans towards the new phone being called the "iPhone 5".

kceire wrote: »

apple-sept-12.jpg

That's true. I don't know why they said that in the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Nonsense. The same rules don't apply to everyone. It'll be based on your spending. They were trying to push a 4S on me this time last year when I had about 5 months left on contract.

Same here, had 6 months left and gotta text saying upgrade due at the time of the iPhone 4S launch

Yeah, its a bit weird having the 5 in the shadow if it aint going to be called that. I think they should have started from the start with 1st Generation, 2nd Generation etc etc.... That way people could diffrenciate when they needed to, for customer support etc, but other than that you only need call it an iPhone. Lets be honest, in 10yrs to be ordering an iPhone 15 or an iPhone 11S would just be stupid.

The 'New' thing is silly too. Thought as much when the NEW iPad launched. What happens next year? Will it be called the 'New New iPad' or the 'Newer/Newest' iPad? Or will you tell people you bought the Old New iPad in 2012?

They set a silly precedence there. Very bad from a marketing perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't understand why people get worked up about the names.

Look at cars, they always say the 'New Ford Fiesta' and not Ford Fiesta 38 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

kceire wrote: »

apple-sept-12.jpg

why do you think the number 12 means iphone 5 :confused:

edit ,, ooooo is it the shadow ye are looking at ? only spotted that now , small screen didnt see it till now ha !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

NIALL D wrote: »
    why do you think the number 12 means iphone 5 :confused:

edit ,, ooooo is it the shadow ye are looking at ? only spotted that now , small screen didnt see it till now ha !!!

Not sure if serious.. but its being announced on the 12th..

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get worked up about the names.

Look at cars, they always say the 'New Ford Fiesta' and not Ford Fiesta 38 etc.

You can't compare the two. The New Fiesta is new at the time. Its still just called a Ford Fiesta, it just happens to be new.

NEW is actually part of the iPad name. So by buying a 3rd Generation iPad four years after its released you are still buying a New iPad, which is silly.

If you said to someone that you bought a New Ford Fiesta they would assume you bought a 2012 model. They wouldnt follow it up with, "oh no way, a new Fiesta, very nice, WHAT YEAR IS IT?"

..........so your example doesn't really stand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The photos of the packaging were leaked before the official invites were sent out. Another way to look at the invitation is 5 updates to the product lines. iPhone, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPod Touch and an unknown. Maybe an iMac refresh. But that's just over analysing. It's most likely the iPhone 5.

Its hard to know. Given they moved away from numbers already with the iPad I would have thought they would do the same with the iPhone. A new number each time is just going to sound silly in years to come i.e iPhone 12 or iPhone 16S. It could possibly mean 5 different things at the WWDC. Isn't is rumored (another one) that the Macs will be updated? Stock levels of the current machines have been scaled back apparently.

Not long to find out now.

Less than 42hours............and counting :-)

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    You can't compare the two. The New Fiesta is new at the time. Its still just called a Ford Fiesta, it just happens to be new.

NEW is actually part of the iPad name. So by buying a 3rd Generation iPad four years after its released you are still buying a New iPad, which is silly.

If you said to someone that you bought a New Ford Fiesta they would assume you bought a 2012 model. They wouldnt follow it up with, "oh no way, a new Fiesta, very nice, WHAT YEAR IS IT?"

..........so your example doesn't really stand up.

It does stack up as Apple are obviously trying to change how their names work after all the iPhone 5 will be the 6th model iPhone.and I think the next iPad could just be called iPad.

Also, think it's possible they will go to year numbers so it could be iPad14 in 2014 once they get '13' out of the way.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It does stack up as Apple are obviously trying to change how their names work after all the iPhone 5 will be the 6th model iPhone.and I think the next iPad could just be called iPad.

Also, think it's possible they will go to year numbers so it could be iPad14 in 2014 once they get '13' out of the way.

The point you made doesnt stand up. Tis like comparing chalk & cheese. Everything is new when it first comes out. The New iPad will still be the New iPad in 2 years time, but it won't be new anymore. So your point doesn't make sense.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    The point you made doesnt stand up. Tis like comparing chalk & cheese. Everything is new when it first comes out. The New iPad will still be the New iPad in 2 years time, but it won't be new anymore. So your point doesn't make sense.

It does if they want to move away numbered models to another system.

I'm sure the next model ipad won't have 'new' in it's title.

Either way, I still don't know why people worked up about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there were photos of the box art that clearly said "new iPhone" but the invite has a 5 in the shadow.

who thinks the 5 actually means products and not the number 5 iphone

new iphone
    new ipod touch
    new shuffle
    new nano
    new macbook 13inch retina/iMac (any other product).

Advertisement