Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i know we know thats its a 4" screen etc but the 'possible' finer details here are interesting:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/09/7-features-the-iphone-5s-display-might-have/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

1ZRed wrote: »
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Meh!

If thats a real video, Doesnt seem to special

Only thing there in that video that i would have interest in is the 128gb.
    That's all you can expect tomorrow, I guarantee it will be very predictable and underwhelming.

Even if all this stuff didn't get leaked at all, I would still be very underwhelmed. There's [COLOR="Black"]fu[/COLOR]ck all that's special about it.
    What are you expecting? What's so special about the galaxy s3? We've already seen that specs mean fcuk all when compared on benchmark tests

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭hometruths

Was about to get a new contract with an iphone 4 - how long usually would you expect to wait from today's announcement to the new iphone being available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

guil wrote: »
    What are you expecting? What's so special about the galaxy s3? We've already seen that specs mean fcuk all when compared on benchmark tests

I dont know really, something new, something that makes me go HELL YEAH i want that phone, but i wont be wasting 600-800 euro for a phone that has a smaller charge point and a tiny increase in screen, Oh oh oh and a nano sim :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the tier 2 release date of 4th October is correct, then you're probably looking at late October/early November before you can get one, unless you get lucky on launch day.

Even then, if you can't wait until the end of October, you'd be a mug to get an iP4 now. Wait until after the release and the carriers will be giving away iP4's for nothing on their most basic contracts.

I dont know really, something new, something that makes me go HELL YEAH i want that phone, but i wont be wasting 600-800 euro for a phone that has a smaller charge point and a tiny increase in screen, Oh oh oh and a nano sim :rolleyes:
    That was more aimed at 1zred

sorry my bad :D

sorry my bad :D
    Ha no worries but everyone seems to be saying they want more but they don't know what they want

Ha no worries but everyone seems to be saying they want more but they don't know what they want

I know, but i dont think theres much more we can get TBH, other than silly gimmick upgrades, i mean how much cpu power and ram does a phone really need, but still i know there are weird people out there who have to have stuff just because its new.

But honestly i think if you have the 4s and what we are led to believe are what the new phone is, you'd just be stupid to buy this and waste money for crappy upgrades that really mean nothing.

I'll want it yes, and i have the money ready, but until something really special comes out i think i'll hold off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't understand these posts! Especially the bolded part.

What have Samsung got that is so revolutionary?

Do people expect Apple to revolutionise the market with every release, like the original iPhone did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭touts

Meh!

If thats a real video, Doesnt seem to special

Only thing there in that video that i would have interest in is the 128gb.

So it's an all new design by stretching the 2 year old iPhone4 a bit?
    It has an all new mini dock that means existing iPhone accessories won't work without a clunky adaptor (if there even is one)
    But the "killer" new hardware is a potentially finicky finger priint scanner to unlock the phone which will either be relatively useless gimmick (e.g. Face unlock on Samsung) or so accurate that thousands of people won't be able to quickly open their phone without precisely putting their fingure on the sensor.
    And the major software innovation is a new look Calendar and Contacts list?

I doubt it. If that's all they trot out it may well as be the iPhone4.3. It wouldn't surprise me if that is a real apple video but one to throw people off the scent on what they actually announce. If that is a genuine video Tim Cook is fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

touts wrote: »
    But the "killer" new hardware is a potentially finicky finger priint scanner to unlock the phone which will either be relatively useless gimmick (e.g. Face unlock on Samsung) or so accurate that thousands of people won't be able to quickly open their phone without precisely putting their fingure on the sensor.

Did that not stem from a rather dodgy fan made "concept" video and is complete nonsense? Or has somewhere semi-reputable reported this?

Looking forward to the announcement today, considering selling my 4 and getting this on contract if there's enough new features to tempt me. More excited about ios6 tbh.

touts wrote: »
    So it's an all new design by stretching the 2 year old iPhone4 a bit?
    It has an all new mini dock that means existing iPhone accessories won't work without a clunky adaptor (if there even is one)
    And the major software innovation is a new look Calendar and Contacts list?

I doubt it. If that's all they trot out it may well as be the iPhone4.3. It wouldn't surprise me if that is a real apple video but one to throw people off the scent on what they actually announce. If that is a genuine video Tim Cook is fecked.

You're basing everything on a fake video and not one single word from Apple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The video is a fake. Apple generally don't give exact tech specs of processor speed/ram etc which are listed in the add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Will the event tonight be streamed online at all?

godtabh wrote: »
    The video is a fake. Apple generally don't give exact tech specs of processor speed/ram etc which are listed in the add.

Also, they wouldn't include an O2 sim card either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, they don't livestream these things. If they did, it would be a first.

The big tech sites usually do a live blog which is about as good as you can get without actually being there. A couple of updates every minute along with photos.

how do all afford these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

seamus wrote: »
    No, they don't livestream these things. If they did, it would be a first.

The big tech sites usually do a live blog which is about as good as you can get without actually being there. A couple of updates every minute along with photos.

Ye i switch between engadget and gizmodo but i'd much prefer to watch it on the apple website if they'd ever do that.

Wonder why they dont

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, they wouldn't include an O2 sim card either.

Unless it was an O2 branded add. Still its a fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

It better have 4G ....We'll see....?

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Ye i switch between engadget and gizmodo but i'd much prefer to watch it on the apple website if they'd ever do that.

Wonder why they dont

Probably a flash issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

If it does it's a pity it would be a bit useless in this country for a while yet. It was hinted at yesterday though when the UK launched their first 4G network.

Is their any talk of 4G being launched in ireland soon ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PatrickMc wrote: »
    It better have 4G ....We'll see....?

Why do you want 4G?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

The auctions where meant to be over the summer at some stage. I read in July they had been delayed though.

These are the auctions for bandwidth or frequencies right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    By this time tomorrow i will either be waiting for iPhone launch date here in Ireland or looking forward to getting an S3 or One X on Thursday morning. Decision time. Please dont let me down Apple.

I made the jump already - didn't even wait for the announcement. I figured that from the rumours there was nothing that made me want to hold out. I got an S3 last week and it is a serious piece of machinery. I'm absolutely loving it and not missing iTunes\iOS\syncing\etc. one little bit.

I'll defo tune into CNET or some place like that to see what the new iPhone has but even now I am perfectly happy with the choice I made and fully confident that I won't be saying "why didn't I wait" by 8pm this evening.

:cool:

Advertisement