Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

the iphone is not €600 price point for all - you have to remember a lot of peeps (like me) get an upgrade every 18-24 monhts.

i paid €200 with upgrade for my iphone 4 at launch 2 years ago (and offset by selling my iphone1g for €125) so net the phone cost me €75.

i expecting similar upgrade with the iphone 5 (and looking at adverts the cheapest iphone 4 is going for about €250) - jeez i might even make a profit from upgrading!

for some reason apple products keep their price very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

This post has been deleted.

The way it looks isn't too important to me tbh. Of course it plays some part in choosing a phone. But I think the likes of the 3GS looks ugly now. But it's still a great phone inside (albeit a little slow nowadays). The iPhone 4 was and still is the best looking phone I've ever seen IMO. I'm glad Applw didn stray too far design wise. The phone is longer, but also it's rumoured to be unibody. Not too into the two tone back but I still think its ok. It's thinner too. I think the s3 does look a lot like the original, except a lot bigger obviously. I'm more interested in how smooth it runs and the software. For me I base my decision on the operating system. I'm more looking forward to iOS 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I made the jump already - didn't even wait for the announcement. I figured that from the rumours there was nothing that made me want to hold out. I got an S3 last week and it is a serious piece of machinery. I'm absolutely loving it and not missing iTunes\iOS\syncing\etc. one little bit.

I'll defo tune into CNET or some place like that to see what the new iPhone has but even now I am perfectly happy with the choice I made and fully confident that I won't be saying "why didn't I wait" by 8pm this evening.

:cool:

Wow...aren't you brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spikey95

There are rumours going around on Twitter that the iPhone 5 will add between 0.25% and 0.5% to the US economy.

If true, that's quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wow...aren't you brilliant!

No need to be a smart c**t

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    No need to be a smart c**t

Why...an Apple iphone thread about an as yet unreleased phone and someone comes on here saying how brillliant they are because they bought a Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

That is an iOS issue though and nothing to do with a new phone.

I know that, but its the software & hardware package that will determine whether I get the new phone or move to Android or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    I know that, but its the software & hardware package that will determine whether I get the new phone or move to Android or not.

Qwerty what are you hoping for from the new IP5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Why...an Apple iphone thread about an as yet unreleased phone and someone comes on here saying how brillliant there are because they bought a Samsung.

He was telling people that he was happy with his purchase, who cares if its samsung or not, he's had an iphone and is interested in whats coming out.

Whats wrong with that, we are all hoping for something good to happen today and we are all excited.

But if theres nothing new then his opinion may matter alot to people who are thinking its time to try some other phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

iPhone 5 discussion, please. Let's keep the flame wars out of here. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm tempted to wait until the iPhone 5s, if it's follows the 4/4s cycle it could be out as soon as February.

Qwerty what are you hoping for from the new IP5?

Without sounding like a clown, I guess I am one of those people who is not really sure what I want exactly. But I want to feel like I have a new phone. I have an iPhone 4 & didnt use my upgrade for a 4S because it didnt even look any different. Yeah its quicker and has Siri, but beyond that there was nothing.

With the iPhone 5 I am willing to consider both the hardware and software (even though I can put IOS6 on my iPhone 4) before buying the phone. Without moving the earth itself I want to look at the WWDC later and say wow thats deadly. I want to love a feature or things the phone does without even realising I wanted them. But I am realistic too in that the current phone and IOS are fine and cater for a lot of my needs so I dont require too much beyond that. But like i say, I want to feel like ive got a new phone everytime I pick it up for the first few weeks. The 4S wouldn't have done that for me.

I think I am only fooling myself in thinking I wont get it. One look at it later and I'll be sold.

Faster
    Bigger Screen
    Lighter
    Thinner
    Better Camera
    Siri
    IOS6 Features

Wil tick the basic boxes anyway.

Without sounding like a clown, I guess I am one of those people who is not really sure what I want exactly. But I want to feel like I have a new phone. I have an iPhone 4 & didnt use my upgrade for a 4S because it didnt even look any different. Yeah its quicker and has Siri, but beyond that there was nothing.

With the iPhone 5 I am willing to consider both the hardware and software (even though I can put IOS6 on my iPhone 4) before buying the phone. Without moving the earth itself I want to look at the WWDC later and say wow thats deadly. I want to love a feature or things the phone does without even realising I wanted them. But I am realistic too in that the current phone and IOS are fine and cater for a lot of my needs so I dont require too much beyond that. But like i say, I want to feel like ive got a new phone everytime I pick it up for the first few weeks. The 4S wouldn't have done that for me.

I think I am only fooling myself in thinking I wont get it. One look at it later and I'll be sold.

Faster
    Bigger Screen
    Lighter
    Thinner
    Better Camera
    Siri
    IOS6 Features

Wil tick the basic boxes anyway.

I can see where you are coming from alright. I wasn't all that fussed about the 4 / 4S so cannot wait to upgrade my 3GS (which has been a brilliant handset) to the new 5.

Id say I will notice massive improvements unlike alot of of 4 / 4S users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

The OSx Lion launch was livestreamed

I can see where you are coming from alright. I wasn't all that fussed about the 4 / 4S so cannot wait to upgrade my 3GS (which has been a brilliant handset) to the new 5.

From a 3GS you will notice a massive difference. Even in the response of the phone. Is the 3GS even compatible for IOS6? I wonder how well it would deal with another software update. Don't think the iPad 1 is even taking it.

Half of me is saying go the cinema and wait for full video later and the other half wants to see the live blogs.

The other half will think I am a weirdo sitting there flicking between windows for bits of info and pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I wasn't all that fussed about the 4 / 4S so cannot wait to upgrade my 3GS (which has been a brilliant handset) to the new 5.

I was using a 3 while my 4 was in for a new screen fitting.. I couldnt believe how bad the resolution was, but got used to it after a day.

If the 5 is an improvment screen clarity wise on the 4, then you will think you've has laser eye surgery when you get your new phone!

From a 3GS you will notice a massive difference. Even in the response of the phone. Is the 3GS even compatible for IOS6? I wonder how well it would deal with another software update. Don't think the iPad 1 is even taking it.

Half of me is saying go the cinema and wait for full video later and the other half wants to see the live blogs.

The other half will think I am a weirdo sitting there flicking between windows for bits of info and pictures.

Well for me I jumped from 3GS to 4s and the difference was huge.

I really think that is the way to do it. Every second phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have a 4s so dont think I'll get this, every 2nd gen seems to be the way to go with iphones, one of my my mates went original, 3gs, 4s which are big enough changes to warrant the upgrading every 2 years.

• Advertisement

Well for me I jumped from 3GS to 4s and the difference was huge.

I really think that is the way to do it. Every second phone.

Would defo agree with that. My Dad went from a 3GS to a 4S too. He was delighted.

Hoping the 4 to the 5 will satisfy me as much.

Super excited now, hopefully O2 will get their paws on it ASAP!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why...an Apple iphone thread about an as yet unreleased phone and someone comes on here saying how brillliant they are because they bought a Samsung.

+1

The person made a judgement on a 2011 iPhone Vs a 2012 S3.
    It may be whats right for them, so fair balls.

If we are gona throw comparisons out, atleast compare like for like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

kceire wrote: »
    +1

The person made a judgement on a 2011 iPhone Vs a 2012 S3.
    It may be whats right for them, so fair balls.

If we are gona throw comparisons out, atleast compare like for like.

I think he just stated that based on what he knew from the rumours (and what the most likely outcome is, in his mind) it was worth going with the S3 because it was available and because the iPhone, regardless of quality, won't be THAT much better, if in fact it is at all.

Doubt I'll bother upgrading from the 4s myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

grizzly wrote: »
    I'm tempted to wait until the iPhone 5s, if it's follows the 4/4s cycle it could be out as soon as February.
    Is that a mic for noise cancelling on those new plugs, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

useless upgrade for those of us on ip4/s for the last couple of years, cant see why people are jizzing themselves over an extra half an inch of screen, terrible upgrade if this is the case, I wont be "upgrading" myself, was hoping for a screen at least 4.5inches, must say Im disappointed by apple, but the blind fb's will have a field day, enjoy yourselves 2mqubva.gif

Stuxnet wrote: »
    useless upgrade for those of us on ip4/s for the last couple of years, cant see why people are jizzing themselves over an extra half an inch of screen, terrible upgrade if this is the case, I wont be "upgrading" myself, was hoping for a screen at least 4.5inches, must say Im disappointed by apple, but the blind fb's will have a field day, enjoy yourselves 2mqubva.gif

So its a terrible upgrade for ME because YOU want a 4.5" screen. Hmmm, ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Not just the screen, but what's under the hood too - processing power for example, which will greatly enhance the phones capabilities for running various apps etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    I think he just stated that based on what he knew from the rumours (and what the most likely outcome is, in his mind) it was worth going with the S3 because it was available and because the iPhone, regardless of quality, won't be THAT much better, if in fact it is at all.

Doubt I'll bother upgrading from the 4s myself.

yeah i can understand that.
    In reality to most users its not going to be noticeable as better or worse than the S3, only different. The spec sheet might have the S3 better at A, B & C, but the iPhone 5 better at X, Y & Z.

Its all relative to the end user. If you enjoying rooting phones etc, then Android is deffo the place to be. I like iOS as it works for me. Im no tech nerd so i dont want to be rooting or anything like than, i dont or never have even jailbroke my iPhone, couldnt be bother, it works for me out of the box.

I like the drag and drop aspect of the Android, i have it on my Archos tablet, but if im honest, the music is all over the place. i havent got my music folder on my lap top organised, but i do have my iTunes in proper order and have been using iTunes from before i even had an iPod at home so it was a naturl progression for me.

but, whats good for me isint good for johnny next door, im happy with my iPhone and will go for the 5 most likely but im also glad i tried my hands at androids over the years, HTC Hero, Samsung tocco, HTC Wildfire, Galaxy S3, but ended up selling them all (on adverts too, keep the business local :D)
    useless upgrade for those of us on ip4/s for the last couple of years, cant see why people are jizzing themselves over an extra half an inch of screen, terrible upgrade if this is the case, I wont be "upgrading" myself, was hoping for a screen at least 4.5inches, must say Im disappointed by apple, but the blind fb's will have a field day, enjoy yourselves

Your right, im waiting on the iPhone 9, seemly it will have Ai Technology. it will know who you want to ring before you take it out of your pocket.
    Aslong as the next update teaches the phone how to make a decent cup of tea, im going for it. iOS 5.1.1 is crap for that, always cold :(

Advertisement