Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

APM wrote: »
    the battery life needs to be improved before they do anything else. I have a 4S and the battery is stupidly bad

I know but thats the case with all smartphones unfortunately. I think they will improve the battery because they have managed to do it with the new iPad.
    But they'd better change the charging port because I'm not waiting an extra 2 or 3+ for my phone to charge!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people comparing Android which is software to an iPhone which is hardware?

Going on about better cameras etc (buy a camera then, not a phone as it's lens and sensor quality not megapixels that are important there).

To me HTC and Galaxy are reactions to iPhone and it comes down then to specs and most buyers don't care what chip is inside the phone.

I think Apple changed the market when the brought out the iPhone creating a whole new type of phone and who knows what they will come up with next.

They could easily bring out something completely different. We just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people comparing Android which is software to an iPhone which is hardware?

Going on about better cameras etc (buy a camera then, not a phone as it's lens and sensor quality not megapixels that are important there).

To me HTC and Galaxy are reactions to iPhone and it comes down then to specs and most buyers don't care what chip is inside the phone.

I think Apple changed the market when the brought out the iPhone creating a whole new type of phone and who knows what they will come up with next.

They could easily bring out something completely different. We just don't know.
    Android is been compared to the iPhone because the iPhone and iOS are inextricably linked. And when I was referring to android was talking about the hardware that runs the software.
    In terms of camera, the vast majority of people have effectively replaced there digital camera with their phone. No one expects the same quality as using a dlsr, just a camera that suitable for day to day use.
    Samsung and htc have followed trends that apple started but in most areas have surpassed apple. People who are just following fashion go for the brand but people who know there tech do think about specs.
    There is no doubt that apple changed the market with the iPhone but unless apple come up with a significant improvement over the 4s they will be left behind the likes of Samsung or HTC

swampy353 wrote: »
    Android is been compared to the iPhone because the iPhone and iOS are inextricably linked. And when I was referring to android was talking about the hardware that runs the software.
    In terms of camera, the vast majority of people have effectively replaced there digital camera with their phone. No one expects the same quality as using a dlsr, just a camera that suitable for day to day use.
    Samsung and htc have followed trends that apple started but in most areas have surpassed apple. People who are just following fashion go for the brand but people who know there tech do think about specs.
    There is no doubt that apple changed the market with the iPhone but unless apple come up with a significant improvement over the 4s they will be left behind the likes of Samsung or HTC

I still think it's an unfair comparison......Android is the OS for many devices but iOS is for just one, so combining the hardware of several phones to say Android is better is wrong.
    Also when I ask what is better about Android all I hear is custom options and widgets ...wow!

I still don't see how Apple are being left behind by Samsung or HTC. Extra megapixels on a camera or larger screen doesn't mean that they are way ahead.
    Would not agree that people have replaced cameras with their phones, go to any tourist attraction and people are using compact & dslr cameras rather than phones. Camera phones are a lot better than they used to be but are not there yet!

Also, those people who are just following fashion are very very sizeable and I would argue outnumber 'people who know their tech' and would not know what A5 chip is or what dual/quad core is.

Don't see how people can say that Apple are way behind as the differences are marginal. Samsung has faster processor whilst iPhone has higher resolution screen. Screen size is a personal choice.
    At the end of the day they are all good phones and consumers have a great choice.
    I just hate Android users saying that Apple are being left behind based on small differences and not knowing what their next product will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hmmm, everything you guys just described are spec bumps. Adding more memory, cores, megapixels, etc to a device is not innovation. I'm talking about new features that allow you do something that you couldn't do before. Apple have always prioritised the user experience (which they define in terms of software and design) over having the latest and greatest specs.

You had that answer ready before asking the question, hadn't you?:p
    Be honest.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I love how people warn apple they'll be playing catch up when the market, says and will continue to say otherwise. iPhones sell. I expect the iP5 to do just as well as it's predecessors and outsell them comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

lordgoat wrote: »
    I love how people warn apple they'll be playing catch up when the market, says and will continue to say otherwise. iPhones sell. I expect the iP5 to do just as well as it's predecessors and outsell them comfortably.

Very true but as a 4 owner I didn't fall for the 4S and won't be getting 5 unless there is a significant change.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Very true but as a 4 owner I didn't fall for the 4S and won't be getting 5 unless there is a significant change.

yep, same here

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i doubt apple were aiming the iphone4s at existing iphone4 users. as has been the case during the brief history of this device the interim model is always just a specs upgrade. major form factor changes and possible hardware innovations are only to be expected every two years.

whats the point spending €400+ every year for a phone? at that price the device should be lasting 3-4 years IMO.

showing that you are dissapointed that a very capable phone hasnt changed drastically in design is just unreasonable IMO - i'm sure apple have a 2 year design programme for the iphone.

ergo the NEW iphone will look fundementally different to the iphone4/4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

having said that the NEW iphone will look different doesnt mean there will be amazing new hadware innovation. what more is there?

better camera, better camera flash, bigger screen, more processor speed?

these arent innovations, just spec upgrades.

someone mentioned NFC - but this tech isnt mature yet, no point putting something into a phone that isnt widely used.

IMO smartphone innovations are going to come from the OS - which is an entirely different debate.

• Advertisement

yep, same here

That goes for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I got a IP4 on release day, but didn't go for the 4S as really there wasn't much to impress me. SIRI is good but not here, and the faster processor is a good change, but a lot of people have said really it's not that noticable in terms of speed. Except launching apps faster.

The reason the iPhone have made the screen that size is because apparently that it the most comfortable reach of thumbs and fingers. If you go to http://www.redmondpie.com/ they usually have the most up to date info on release dates, concepts, and also jailbreaking information.

I for one won't be getting the next iPhone as mine does what it says on the tin and that's good for me. I can listen to music, check email on the move, check the weather, book a taxi, find out when the next dart is, make phone calls and send texts and take photos and video. That's enough for me. Oh and I've had a ifrogz cover on it since day one and there's no scratches on it at all, but I always make sure it's the only thing in my pocket ! (no keys, coins etc)

Really why would an Iphone 4 user upgrade to 4s?

Also, why would you even want to upgrade if you only have the phone (which is expensive) for a year?

What do you actually want in iPhone 5, bigger screen and widgets? Is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭squonk

I think myself that the 4S was a bit disappointing. I've got a 4 and I knew coming up to the launch that the phone wouldn't be aimed at me in the same way that the 5 might. I'm out of contract now so am free to change or hold depending on the 5 as I wish.

Regarding the argument that it's those who follow fashion who eat up the iPhone while those who are techs are more concerned with specs and maybe drawn to Android-based devices, I'm not certain that's true.

I'm a techie. I work at it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I was initially drawn to the iPhone because the other Apple products I owned worked very well and I didn't spend half my evenings configuring them to do something. I was drawn to my other Apple products for that reason. I can do enough tinkering in work. When I get home I want tech that works and I'd rather have an evening with some harmonious comupter involvement than one where the computer is the involvement.

With a Mac, it's the whole package of OSX, the hardware and the ability to run any other OS I wish, all in a streamlined, nicely designed form. Maybe I can get an equivalent or more highly specced Dell cheaper, but spec isn't the be all and end all. A phone is the same. I could maybe get a Galaxy or htc with a higher spec than an iPhone but then I'd be stuck with Android and a lot of the mediocrity I see with it. If I could get iOS on another device that was better specced than the equivalent iPhone, I might think about that. As with the Mac, with the iPhone you're not just buying the hardware or the software, you're buying both together and the tight integration that that brings. You're also getting a great UI and a large app base with apps that are custom designed for the particular platform you're using.

I don't need everything now. I am prepared to wait for Apple to address some of the things that don't work so well in iOS or add missing features. A lot of the time the features are integrated well when they do come. I have never seen an Android device where the entire package bowled me over the way the iPhone does. Until they crack that integration problem, Android will always be the also-ran in my book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I for one won't be getting the next iPhone as mine does what it says on the tin and that's good for me. I can listen to music, check email on the move, check the weather, book a taxi, find out when the next dart is, make phone calls and send texts and take photos and video. That's enough for me.
    You probably thought your Nokia 5110 did everything you needed a phone to do as well. :)

While I agree with you regarding the 4S, I wouldn't dismiss future smartphones on the basis that your current one does everything you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Hey, I have a blackberry curve and I'm planning on getting a new phone soon.

I'm leaning towards an iphone and will probably stick with that choice, though I'm also considering the Galaxy S2 or HTC One S.

Do you think it would be stupid to buy a 4s now with the iphone 5 due out?

Mind you October is a bit of a wait if its not out in July....

osh wrote: »
    Hey, I have a blackberry curve and I'm planning on getting a new phone soon.

I'm leaning towards an iphone and will probably stick with that choice, though I'm also considering the Galaxy S2 or HTC One S.

Do you think it would be stupid to buy a 4s now with the iphone 5 due out?

Mind you October is a bit of a wait if its not out in July....

Wait for the S3 or iPhone 5. Why buy the 4S when you could get a much better product (iPhone 5) at the same price.
    I'd say the the iPhone 5 will be out in october again though so get the S3 or wait if you can.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

BTW for those that think Android is just a shadow in the background compared to Apple, here are the latest ComScore stats:

comscore-phones-march-2012.jpg

agewa.png

So android now has 51% of the market, opposed to Apple's 30.7%. Samsung has 26% of the phone market - Apple has 14%.

Samsung are about to release the S3 in a few days and it's rumoured to be pretty impressive. Unless Apple come out with something 'truly' revolutionary - their days of total dominance are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

how much of that 51% are low end androids, try get sales figures for the S2 and 4S and see how they compare

Not one single android phone could beat out the sales of the 4S.
    I think samsung sold 42 million phones in Q1 and Apple sold 35 but that was 100+ devices going against the 4S,4 and 3GS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Zascar wrote: »
    BTW for those that think Android is just a shadow in the background compared to Apple, here are the latest ComScore stats:

agewa.png

So android now has 51% of the market, opposed to Apple's 30.7%. Samsung has 26% of the phone market - Apple has 14%.

Samsung are about to release the S3 in a few days and it's rumoured to be pretty impressive. Unless Apple come out with something 'truly' revolutionary - their days of total dominance are numbered.

Jesus, where to start on this
    Take a look at http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1415 and http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1307.

More android phones are being sold, iphones are making still making more money.
    More android phones exist, iphones are being used more.
    No-one buys apps on android apps, iphone apps are earning a fortune......
    There is a hell a lot more to it than just comparing the number of phones.

I don't understand why people write about this as if they have something personal to gain by Android succeeding and Apple failing.

Coming up with manipulated comparisons is just ridiculous seeing as Apple only sell one phone!

Can you not just let people enjoy their devices without tryiing to make yourselves out to be superior? You are just consumers/users at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

agewa.png

There are more hyandais sold than ferraris.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's an awful analogy. The only reason I brought this up was a few years ago Apple fan's used to preach how iPhones sell way way more devices so they must be better. This is no longer the case. Android has caught up and overtaken Apple in both overall sales, and features/performance of their top phones. Full credit to Apple for pretty much inventing the smartphone market etc - but unless the iPhone 5 takes a huge leap forward they will be left behind in the race to the front. They will still sell zillions of them as most iPhone users are more than happy with what they have and when the time comes they will get another iPhone.

My point is only to highlight that as a previous Apple/iPhone user who quite a while ago converted to Android and has not looked back - in the early days the iPhone fans used to slag off Android devices as being rubbish and sub par in comparison to iPhones - pointing out it's failures and listing reasons why iPhones were better. Now things have changed - and from where I'm standing it seems to have changed to 'sure why would you want that, simple is better, and this does everything I need anyway'...

I would genuinely love to see Apple come out with a game changing phone - healthy competition is better for everyone as it pushes all parties to innovate further and faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Fair enough good points Zascar.

But to use market sales alone is not a true portrayal of the market in this case. The iPhone is number 1 still despite androids supposedly having better specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

nothing official as of yet, and there won't be until about a week before its launch. It will follow the same trend as always for its release, though.

Yes, indeed, fake mockup photos on youtube will turn out to be the real thing and ..... :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's an awful analogy. The only reason I brought this up was a few years ago Apple fan's used to preach how iPhones sell way way more devices so they must be better. This is no longer the case. Android has caught up and overtaken Apple in both overall sales, and features/performance of their top phones. Full credit to Apple for pretty much inventing the smartphone market etc - but unless the iPhone 5 takes a huge leap forward they will be left behind in the race to the front. They will still sell zillions of them as most iPhone users are more than happy with what they have and when the time comes they will get another iPhone.

My point is only to highlight that as a previous Apple/iPhone user who quite a while ago converted to Android and has not looked back - in the early days the iPhone fans used to slag off Android devices as being rubbish and sub par in comparison to iPhones - pointing out it's failures and listing reasons why iPhones were better. Now things have changed - and from where I'm standing it seems to have changed to 'sure why would you want that, simple is better, and this does everything I need anyway'...

I would genuinely love to see Apple come out with a game changing phone - healthy competition is better for everyone as it pushes all parties to innovate further and faster.

And yet I still haven't heard one good reason why Android is better, apart from the stock answer - widgets and customisable.....both of which are doable with a jailbreak. Anyone who used the justification of "selling more iPhones so they must be better" is a complete doofus anyway. What I find amazing is (a) the amount of Android users who give out about iPhones, yet seem first in the queue to buy one and
    (b) the amount of android users who come on here to give their opinions. I don't see so many iPhone users on the Android forums......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

itzme wrote: »
    Jesus, where to start on this
    Take a look at http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1415 and http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1307.

More android phones are being sold, iphones are making still making more money. - just proves that Apple are reeling people, and people are sucking it up!
    More android phones exist, iphones are being used more. - being used more? What are android phone owners doing? Leaving them in the box?
    No-one buys apps on android apps, iphone apps are earning a fortune...... - because Apple corner you into giving them your credit card details, making it too easy to just buy apps. Good idea, it's working well.
    There is a hell a lot more to it than just comparing the number of phones.
    It's not about people wanting Apple to fail. It's about one company pushing the other to do more, bring out better products. All phones have plusses and minuses.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It's not about people wanting Apple to fail. It's about one company pushing the other to do more, bring out better products. All phones have plusses and minuses.

Did you even read any of the links in the post you quoted?

Apple have consistently drove each industry they are in forward. To suggest otherwise is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Did you even read any of the links in the post you quoted?

Apple have consistently drove each industry they are in forward. To suggest otherwise is wrong.

Where did I suggest otherwise? I did read the links. If Apple sell less phones than Samsung but make more profit on them that means they're over priced and people are happy to pay. Apple make money on apps and iTunes etc, but those links suggest its the handset that makes more profit than the competition. They're a clever company, no doubting that. They did revolutionise the phone as we know it. They took existing ideas that were scattered and half-assed and packaged them in a stylish pack with decent hardware and made it useable in a whole new way.
    The iPod was not a revolutionary idea, it was a revolutionary way of packing and selling an existing idea. They see potential, and just know better than any other company how to make it work effectively, efficiently and market it excellently ina stylish package. I hope the visionary aspect of the company didn't die with Jobs.

Advertisement