Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

kceire wrote: »
    I Am Kong! wrote: »
    I think he just stated that based on what he knew from the rumours (and what the most likely outcome is, in his mind) it was worth going with the S3 because it was available and because the iPhone, regardless of quality, won't be THAT much better, if in fact it is at all.

Doubt I'll bother upgrading from the 4s myself.

yeah i can understand that.
    In reality to most users its not going to be noticeable as better or worse than the S3, only different. The spec sheet might have the S3 better at A, B & C, but the iPhone 5 better at X, Y & Z.

Its all relative to the end user. If you enjoying rooting phones etc, then Android is deffo the place to be. I like iOS as it works for me. Im no tech nerd so i dont want to be rooting or anything like than, i dont or never have even jailbroke my iPhone, couldnt be bother, it works for me out of the box.

I like the drag and drop aspect of the Android, i have it on my Archos tablet, but if im honest, the music is all over the place. i havent got my music folder on my lap top organised, but i do have my iTunes in proper order and have been using iTunes from before i even had an iPod at home so it was a naturl progression for me.

but, whats good for me isint good for johnny next door, im happy with my iPhone and will go for the 5 most likely but im also glad i tried my hands at androids over the years, HTC Hero, Samsung tocco, HTC Wildfire, Galaxy S3, but ended up selling them all (on adverts too, keep the business local :D)
    Stuxnet wrote: »
    useless upgrade for those of us on ip4/s for the last couple of years, cant see why people are jizzing themselves over an extra half an inch of screen, terrible upgrade if this is the case, I wont be "upgrading" myself, was hoping for a screen at least 4.5inches, must say Im disappointed by apple, but the blind fb's will have a field day, enjoy yourselves

Your right, im waiting on the iPhone 9, seemly it will have Ai Technology. it will know who you want to ring before you take it out of your pocket.
    Aslong as the next update teaches the phone how to make a decent cup of tea, im going for it. iOS 5.1.1 is crap for that, always cold :(
    The tocco wasn't android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

kceire wrote: »
    yeah i can understand that.
    In reality to most users its not going to be noticeable as better or worse than the S3, only different. The spec sheet might have the S3 better at A, B & C, but the iPhone 5 better at X, Y & Z.

Its all relative to the end user. If you enjoying rooting phones etc, then Android is deffo the place to be. I like iOS as it works for me. Im no tech nerd so i dont want to be rooting or anything like than, i dont or never have even jailbroke my iPhone, couldnt be bother, it works for me out of the box.

I like the drag and drop aspect of the Android, i have it on my Archos tablet, but if im honest, the music is all over the place. i havent got my music folder on my lap top organised, but i do have my iTunes in proper order and have been using iTunes from before i even had an iPod at home so it was a naturl progression for me.

but, whats good for me isint good for johnny next door, im happy with my iPhone and will go for the 5 most likely but im also glad i tried my hands at androids over the years, HTC Hero, Samsung tocco, HTC Wildfire, Galaxy S3, but ended up selling them all (on adverts too, keep the business local :D)

Your right, im waiting on the iPhone 9, seemly it will have Ai Technology. it will know who you want to ring before you take it out of your pocket.
    Aslong as the next update teaches the phone how to make a decent cup of tea, im going for it. iOS 5.1.1 is crap for that, always cold :(

I like Android a lot, but I prefer the 'cleanliness' of iOS. It's much simpler in my opinion and just a nicer experience.

I jailbroke a pervious iPhone and reverted back after a half hour - absolutely zero point in my opinion, especially when it's a tethered JB solution.

I agree about drag and drop, but I too like how neat iTunes keeps things. I have a Macbook Air and use Google music too for my entire collection which keep space free on my Air.

guil wrote: »
    The tocco wasn't android

I think we still get the point he was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I think that this is going to be a big let down for some reason. I also noticed that there was a lot more hype for the S3 than for this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guil wrote: »
    The tocco wasn't android

Edited to suit ;)
    I havent even listed the shear amount of Nokias ive had :D
    I was the contact in my previous job for our O2/Vodafone contracts. i had an upgrade every 3 months :D
    DylanII wrote: »
    I think that this is going to be a big let down for some reason. I also noticed that there was a lot more hype for the S3 than for this.

Where did you notice that?
    I didnt even know about an S3 until Meteor rang me and asked if i want to upgrade/extend my contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Stuxnet wrote: »
    useless upgrade for those of us on ip4/s for the last couple of years, cant see why people are jizzing themselves over an extra half an inch of screen, terrible upgrade if this is the case, I wont be "upgrading" myself, was hoping for a screen at least 4.5inches, must say Im disappointed by apple, but the blind fb's will have a field day, enjoy yourselves 2mqubva.gif

Keep your overall tone civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why...an Apple iphone thread about an as yet unreleased phone and someone comes on here saying how brillliant they are because they bought a Samsung.

I never said I was brilliant :confused:

i think you're panties are on a bit too tight with the imminent release of the iPhone, take it easy and try to stay on topic and not shooting out dickhead remarks...i.e the new iPhone and what feature it may\may not have. You may notice that a lot of people have commented on other currently smartphones and how the iPhone will compare to these...or maybe you just wanted to focus on me for some unknown reason.

Back to point - whats the best live blog to follow for these events, I normally tune into CNET\Engadget - I hate the way the newest post jumps to the top...I like to read post by post and I always end up seeing something way into the presentation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Any further uncivil remarks will result in a one-month ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Back to point - whats the best live blog to follow for these events, I normally tune into CNET\Engadget - I hate the way the newest post jumps to the top...I like to read post by post and I always end up seeing something way into the presentation...

Yep Engadget for me too. Seems the best and most stable. Last year all the blogs were going down because of the surge of trafic. Engadget was one of the only ones I could still follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

DylanII wrote: »

I thought last year was a massive let-down, I'm not sure this year could possibly be any worse. At least the new phone isn't going to be identical to the last one (other than some mickey-mouse innards that only matter to gamers) like the 4S was. Unless the 5 gets 128GB storage I won't bother this time around either - my 4 is still perfectly suitable for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

usually there is an option at the top of the blog to turn auto update on or off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The blogs I tend to read for these events are

http://live.gdgt.com/
    http://www.macrumorslive.com/ (still to be updated)
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/10/3307515/apple-iphone-5-live-blog-september-12-10am
    and I suppose engadget, but they've been going downhill for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yep Engadget for me too. Seems the best and most stable. Last year all the blogs were going down because of the surge of trafic. Engadget was one of the only ones I could still follow.

What about theverge - I read somewhere that it was created by the former editor of engadget? Usually switch between iMore and Engadget here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

The Irish Apple store is down. Good sign for inclusion in initial launch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Here's the story on Engadget

Given that its 4 hours until announcement, I'm likely to think its just maintenance for later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

ive been dying to get the samsung s3 as ive had all the iphones, but then right this second ive just remembered the amout of €€€€€€ ive spent on apps and games and its 4 figures :rolleyes:

I suppose ill have to get this kinda makes sense to stick with apple, not because i love it but seems a shame to waste the apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone heard that this new iphone is going to be coming in at a price over the 4S, Somewhere around the €799 mark for the entry level model?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone heard that this new iphone is going to be coming in at a price over the 4S, Somewhere around the €799 mark for the entry level model?

No, havent heard that, the opposite in fact.
    Rumours are now saying that it will be priced exactly the same as the 4S.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Price levels like that will price a lot of people out of purchasing it. I'd go straight to Samsung for an S3 instead, and have had an iPhone since almost day 1.

I had read on some blogs that the price was going to be pitched at the same level as the 4S - which isn't cheap either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nah, they do that every time. What will go up is a "Coming Soon" page with details on the new phone. If they're going for iPod updates though, they will probably be available from the off.
    Wouldn't surprise me, especially if they go to 128GB, though not €799 for the entry level model, that would be pricing themselves way out.

I've been harping on about 128GB for the last while, but I doubt they'll have it this time as they only introduced 64GB with the 4S. My guess is that 64GB will still be the top model, but they'll ditch the 3GS so you have iP4/8GB, iP4S/16GB and the iP5 in 16, 32 & 64GB variants, costing 400, 500, 600, 700 & 800 euro respectively.

wish i could afford one apple are to expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Nope. Every Apple store goes down.

I presume the iPhone 4S will just go cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

With cloud storage ever popular (I have 50 gb of dropbox and 50gb of box storage) would anyone actually need a 128gb iphone?

I agree. All my music is now on iCloud and the stuff i play regularly is cached. Only using 9 out of 32GB currently, mostly due to large apps (games) that I never use anymore. I think 16gb will be more than sufficient for me this time around.

With cloud storage ever popular (I have 50 gb of dropbox and 50gb of box storage) would anyone actually need a 128gb iphone?

Definitely don't need that. I could probably get away with 8GB what with all my music on Google's cloud and I certainly don't watch movies on my iPhone....

Usually only put a handful on songs on the iPhone via iTunes.

And aren't Apple launching their own 'Spotify-like' service....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Check this:

http://i47.tinypic.com/t87uqh.png

&

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/12Apple-Introduces-iPhone-5.html

We just need to wait a bit for that link to become active of course ;)

So yeah, it's definitely "iPhone 5".

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i have 9gb of apps and am constantly juggling music and photos to ensure i have enough of the remainining 5gb available of my 16gb iphone4.

i need to go to 32gb !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Do the same link with 'thestateofyourface' instead of iphone 5 and you will get the same result. It means nothing.

But yea its going to be iphone 5 http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/thestateofyourface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Check this:

http://i47.tinypic.com/t87uqh.png

&

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/12Apple-Introduces-iPhone-5.html

We just need to wait a bit for that link to become active of course ;)

So yeah, it's definitely "iPhone 5".

Looks fake to me. The address is even missing a "/" which makes it a sloppy fake. But the invites suggest it's more than likely the 5 anyway.

Advertisement