Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

wish i could afford one apple are to expensive

They are the same price as Samsung Galaxy S3's. People forget this.
    If you buy on bill pay, then you get them for alot cheaper. S3's can be got for free now on Three's €40 per month plan, and iPhone 4S's are free on Meteor too.

If you buy either of them sim free direct, they are the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I went to Apple.com and searched iPhone 5 - nothing. However when I checked again and scrolled down to the bottom I found the link posted above. So iPhone 5 name confirmed.

Edit: This link to be exact, not the one above.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-5/tips/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

DubDJ wrote: »
    I went to Apple.com and searched iPhone 5 - nothing. However when I checked again and scrolled down to the bottom I found the link posted above. So iPhone 5 name confirmed.

Edit: This link to be exact, not the one above.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-5/tips/

yeah i didnt believe you but
    searching for "iphone 5" does throw up 2 links
    http://www.apple.com/search/?q=%22iphone+5%22

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

I know this is slightly off topic but how do you store your music on iCloud and does it have to be music bought on iTunes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    Looks fake to me. The address is even missing a "/" which makes it a sloppy fake. But the invites suggest it's more than likely the 5 anyway.

How could it possibly be fake?

Its on the Apple website. Do it yourself. Search "iPhone-5" on Apple.com.

• Advertisement

14murphy wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off topic but how do you store your music on iCloud and does it have to be music bought on iTunes ?

You have to pay for a subscription to itunes match (€25 a year i think)
    Then Itunes matches your music to its store, if it has the song already it gives you free access to the itunes store version and if ti doesnt you can upload your music to icloud.

You cant play music from the icloud on your device though, you do have to download it to your iDevice to be able to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

No it doesnt have to be bought from iTunes. Its actually called iTunes in the Cloud, and costs €25 a year.
    It just matches songs in your library and syncs with the Apple servers,. If they cant find your song, they'll upload your version of it and store it on their server. Syncs with iTunes, iPhones, iPads - its great!

More info here http://www.apple.com/ie/itunes/itunes-match/

14murphy wrote: »

iTunes Match - Search for it on iTunes Store.

No. Any music you have is matched with what Apple has in their music database.

Any tracks scanned in your library that Apple doesn't have, you upload it to them.

€25 p/a.

You have to pay for a subscription to itunes match (€25 a year i think)
    Then Itunes matches your music to its store, if it has the song already it gives you free access to the itunes store version and if ti doesnt you can upload your music to icloud.

You cant play music from the icloud on your device though, you do have to download it to your iDevice to be able to play.

You can stream it, but it doesn't work if you're not connected to 3g or Wifi

New iPod Touch's and Nano's coming today as well.

Confirmed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Aodhagan wrote: »
    New iPod Touch's and Nano's coming today as well.

Confirmed :)

Looking forward to to the new Nano. Hope they do something with the shuffle too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So it's really just for backup, then? You still need the file physically on your device to play music.

EDIT:
    miralize wrote: »
    Or is this the case? i.e. You can stream from your music library as long as you have a connection.

Also, new iTunes coming today.

Possibly iTunes 11?

miralize wrote: »

Technically its not streaming on IOS 5 just downloads completly to a temp folder and then marks for delete once finished playing.

Proper streaming is coming in IOS 6 though

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/13/ios-6-gems-itunes-match-music-streaming-and-icloud-notification-sync/

More info coming from Apple's site.

"http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/"

(Links don't work, for obvious reasons.)

Yep, it works well too! I havent noticed anything different in iOS5 though, i thought that was the case anyway. :)

Dades wrote: »
    So it's really just for backup, then? You still need the file physically on your device to play music.

EDIT:

Or is this the case? i.e. You can stream from your music library as long as you have a connection.

You cand always download the song to your device from icloud if you have data access.
    some of us would argue about completely downloading somethign then playing as not being streaming.

In the end its not worth it.
    The music is accessible if you have a data connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Having them leak this close to the announcement isn't a big deal I'd say. Still no actual details of any of the devices confirmed yet. Strange them releasing iTunes 11 today. It usually drops with the iOS and OS X updates. Probably due to the new iPods being released right away.

Actually, does anyone know when the iOS6 update might be available? Or will it be released the same day as the iPhone 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

guil wrote: »
    What are you expecting? What's so special about the galaxy s3? We've already seen that specs mean fcuk all when compared on benchmark tests

I think people just need to cool down a small bit here. I've posted before about how the S3 is a good phone spec wise and I gave reasons, so I'm not going to do it again. Specs mean a lot, if they didn't, why would you even bother upgrading from the first iPhone?

The iPhone 5 probably won't be quad-core. By that fact alone it'll be much weaker in specs and benchmarks. That's how it is with the iPad 3 and the transformer prime CPU wise.

I don't think it's fair that we can't even discuss other phones coming from the point of current iPhone users, which I am. It doesn't do any good to be blind to Apple and throw down on the rest and not be aware of what's actually on the market from other manufactures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Probably a stupid question but will apple be streaming the event online or no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

LaVail wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but will apple be streaming the event online or no?

Nope, you have to follow it via live blog on engadget or Macrumors.

Alternatively you can wait until about 8 or 9pm tonight and the video
    of the live event will be on the Apple website.

I might just wait until 8pm and get the twitter update about whats being released :D

Gizmondo will also blog about it http://live.gizmodo.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

blog it is I guess

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Whats going through Tim Cook's mind now:

"Open with a joke, open with a joke...... so there's 5 trucks full of 5c coins out back...."

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I would love to have the patience to wait for the full video later this evening...............but don't think I will :D

I have waited 2 years and 3 days for a new iPhone. Why force another 3 hours on myself if I don't need to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I will see the blog and then after watch the video :D

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Actually, does anyone know when the iOS6 update might be available? Or will it be released the same day as the iPhone 5?

You can get your hands on the Gold Master (final build) tonight.

You just need to look for it :)

Aodhagan wrote: »
    You can get your hands on the Gold Master (final build) tonight.

You just need to look for it :)

Ha! I'll have a gander so! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

leemaree wrote: »
    I will see the blog and then after watch the video :D

Will probably end up doing the same. Few bits to do before breaking out the popcorn.

2 hours 18 mins...............and counting :)

Advertisement