Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Well guys,

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone. I was going to get the 4s a few weeks back until a friend said to get wait for this. I'm glad I did, it seems like the battery will be much better and the performance will be a lot better too.

Nothing we can do about the internet as we don't have 4G here. But looks worth it for the same price as 4s if your not upgrading from a 4s that is.

Anyone know when it will be available to buy in the likes of Carphone Warehouse here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    So this is the flagship for the next 3 year's or so, and it already looks beaten by the current top androids. I fail to see how its going to keep up with a new and better version of androids coming out yearly. Anyone else think the craze is over?

It was a nice run while it lasted but they're really just taking the piss by releasing a phone that can't compete with phones released nearly half a year ago and expecting the same amount of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    So this is the flagship for the next 3 year's or so, and it already looks beaten by the current top androids. I fail to see how its going to keep up with a new and better version of androids coming out yearly. Anyone else think the craze is over?

I think the future will show that Apple peaked in 2011/2012. The competition is now better and cheaper.

The whole smart phone/tablet market has gone through the "wow, look what it can do" phase and now any improvments in technology are minor and less awe inspiring IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

iphone 5 up on Apple.com.ie now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

How does Passbook work with no NFC?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

naasrd wrote: »
    iphone 5 up on Apple.com.ie now

Wonder when you can actually buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Somebody should start a separate thread to complain about the iPhone. They've basically updated every part of the iPhone and people still aren't happy.

iPhone 4S will still be on sale but as a 16GB opposed to 8GB like the iPhone 4 now. Strangley the iPhone info page has a buy now link. Normally that comes on release day. Maybe we get pre-orders too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

with the confirmation of the Nano sim....can microsims be cut to fit?

kceire wrote: »
    Wonder when you can actually buy it?

With availability in just over 2 weeks I expect they'll take orders from tomorrow. At least I hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Allyall wrote: »

Barcodes on the screen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So, no teleportation ability? What a disappointment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

dloob wrote: »
    3 Years? The next one will be out this time next year.

The one with NFC will, they've gotta make money from the 5S and I'd say NFC will be the attraction to the 5S. There's nothing that they could bring out now that will revolutionize mobile phones at this stage, the trick is to trickle the technology in stages to keep the share price up and investors happy.

Pity iOS6 is not coming out until the 19th, I hoped it was tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

recyclebin wrote: »
    I think the future will show that Apple peaked in 2011/2012. The competition is now better and cheaper.

The whole smart phone/tablet market has gone through the "wow, look what it can do" phase and now any improvments in technology are minor and less awe inspiring IMO.

I don't see what compelling feature the android phones have.
    Especially as they are no cheaper and are cheaper made.

Be interested to see how the Lumia 920 turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

DubDJ wrote: »
    Somebody should start a separate thread to complain about the iPhone. They've basically updated every part of the iPhone and people still aren't happy.

iPhone 4S will still be on sale but as a 16GB opposed to 8GB like the iPhone 4 now. Strangley the iPhone info page has a buy now link. Normally that comes on release day. Maybe we get pre-orders too.

Tbf, they've announced nothing to shout about. Bet they secretly think that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Hopefully there are some decent competitive contracts out there. I will probably get this. I dont like touchwiz or the galaxy s3 the only other alternative is the htc one x or wait for the new lumia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

tumblr_ma90r4gmMi1qzptwgo1_r2_250.png
    tumblr_ma90r4gmMi1qzptwgo2_250.gif

I'd say anyminute now it'll be updated.

All new models & prices on store now apart from iphone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The one with NFC will, they've gotta make money from the 5S and I'd say NFC will be the attraction to the 5S. There's nothing that they could bring out now that will revolutionize mobile phones at this stage, the trick is to trickle the technology in stages to keep the share price up and investors happy.

Pity iOS6 is not coming out until the 19th, I hoped it was tonight.

It's a good strategy, NFC will still be largely useless for the next year and probably longer, so there is no rush.
    It can be the big new feature next year at a time when there is little scope anymore for big new features in phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

No doubt it's the best iPhone yet anyway, still though i would have loved if they made the screen just a tiny bit wider. I'm looking at the lumia (4.5") the one x (4.3") and the SIII (4.8"). this iphone is just too narrow, making it a bit wider would have sold it for me. I do like iPhones and how they integrate with other apple products, I love my 4 and there's no doubt that it feels of higher quality than either the one x or the SIII I'm just really bored with the iphone 4 design, they should have changed it more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Read the whole thing live. More impressed by the new iPods. If I was due an upgrade I'd get it but my 4s will do fine with iOS 6 will do fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

chops018 wrote: »
    it seems like the battery will be much better

What gave you that impression ?
    1ZRed wrote: »
    It was a nice run while it lasted but they're really just taking the piss by releasing a phone that can't compete with phones released nearly half a year ago and expecting the same amount of attention.

Hell phones released 1.5years ago are just as competitive imho. S2 all the way
    Allyall wrote: »

Phone displays a barcode on screen and they scan it just like a piece of paper with a barcode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Very underwhelming .I gave up on apple a long time ago.They wont get away with it for too long more .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

yer man! wrote: »
    No doubt it's the best iPhone yet anyway, still though i would have loved if they made the screen just a tiny bit wider. I'm looking at the lumia (4.5") the one x (4.3") and the SIII (4.8"). this iphone is just too narrow, making it a bit wider would have sold it for me. I do like iPhones and how they integrate with other apple products, I love my 4 and there's no doubt that it feels of higher quality than either the one x or the SIII I'm just really bored with the iphone 4 design, they should have changed it more.

One X is 4.8"
    One S is 4.3"

If all they did was update everything to keep up with the other phones spec wise (let's leave screen out of this) then that would have been enough.

But they didn't keep up, that's why the fuss. I think it's fair that people who like the iPhone wanted a cutting edge device and are disappointed it wasn't delivered.

godtabh wrote: »
    Read the whole thing live. More impressed by the new iPods. If I was due an upgrade I'd get it but my 4s will do fine with iOS 6 will do fine

Yeah. I'll hold fire and see what sellers on Adverts are looking for when they arrive via unwanted upgrades etc. If they're not too expensive I'll trade in my 4s. Otherwise that on ios 6 will keep mw more than happy. New ipods are cracking and the Touches too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

rebeve wrote: »
    Very underwhelming .I gave up on apple a long time ago.They wont get away with it for too long more .

Damn those thieves. Making products that some people use and enjoy.... how dare they make a phone that actually fits in your hand, works better and looks far nicer than anything else on the market. You're right, they wont get away with it. Its not as if theyre the people that jumpstarted the smartphone industry in 2007....

...oh wait.

miralize wrote: »
    Damn those thieves. Making products that some people use and enjoy.... how dare they make a phone that actually fits in your hand, works better and looks far nicer than anything else on the market. You're right, they wont get away with it. Its not as if theyre the people that jumpstarted the smartphone industry in 2007....

...oh wait.

It's 2012 now. Get your ass out of 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

I'd say apple and samsung got together and agreed to release big tech updates around the same time. Apple with their huge cash reserves could easily have ensured that the iphone 5 had nfc which would of keep them ahead of the game, so I think apple and samsung must now have some agreement in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

miralize wrote: »

...oh wait.
    iYawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

1ZRed wrote: »
    It's 2012 now. Get your ass out of 2007.

I'm just referring to the absolutely idiotic statement of "they wont get away with it". Not that they have anything to get away with in the first place. They make products, some buy them, some dont buy them. Its not as if Apple have a knife to your neck..

Advertisement