Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

1ZRed wrote: »
    If all they did was update everything to keep up with the other phones spec wise (let's leave screen out of this) then that would have been enough.

But they didn't keep up, that's why the fuss. I think it's fair that people who like the iPhone wanted a cutting edge device and are disappointed it wasn't delivered.

But the thing is, in actual real world performance the iPhone's dual core would probably still beat most of the Androids with quad-core processors. I know previous iPhones have been better in some benchmarks then phone's with faster processors and RAM. Throw 50 cores into a phone but you need the OS to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

DubDJ wrote: »
    But the thing is, in actual real world performance the iPhone's dual core would probably still beat most of the Androids with quad-core processors. I know previous iPhones have been better in some benchmarks then phone's with faster processors and RAM. Throw 50 cores into a phone but you need the OS to take advantage of it.
    Link

Apple store is back online. No pre-orders for the iPhone.

iPhone 4S - €579??? WTF??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just letting people know if they didnt already, but the Android forum is this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Just called Apple.

Available on the Irish Apple store on the 28th of September (so i'm told)

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    I'm just referring to the absolutely idiotic statement of "they wont get away with it". Not that they have anything to get away with in the first place. They make products, some buy them, some dont buy them. Its not as if Apple have a knife to your neck..
    Chill dude .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I hope it has WAP

Just letting people know if they didnt already, but the Android forum is this way.

First we had Nokia ,then it was RIM .Then Apple took over .People cop on and move on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

But the thing is, in actual real world performance the iPhone's dual core would probably still beat most of the Androids with quad-core processors

No and it's impossible. Look at the iPad 3 vs a transformer prime (which was released at christmas) CPU wise, it got beaten easily.

Face it. It'll do a good job, that's a guarantee but it's not going to be blowing a lot of high teir phones out of the water, nevermind it's biggest competitor, the S3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

delad wrote: »
    I'd say apple and samsung got together and agreed to release big tech updates around the same time. Apple with their huge cash reserves could easily have ensured that the iphone 5 had nfc which would of keep them ahead of the game, so I think apple and samsung must now have some agreement in place.

I thought Apple were getting rid of Samsung as a chip supplier as a strategy decision to try and kill them off after the court case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

One X is 4.8"
    One S is 4.3"
    Sorry bout that, still though point is I like a iphone that feels like it's giving more usable space, not just longer, it's like having a stretched nissan micra, 'Tis no Almera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

2 slices of pitta bread, dollops of hummus and feta-cover olives later,

mmm, thought I'd be witty enough to end that sentence funny. Turns out I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

The nano looks nice. From €169 think ill pick one up. Pre orders from Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Why? are you wanting an Apple groupthink? An iGroupthink perhaps?

Pretty underwhelming. I moved over from being an iPhone user the last 4 years to the HTC One X 2 months ago and was worried that after I'd made the jump the iPhone 5 would have something to make me regret it - and it hasn't. The girlfriend has had an upgrade due on her 4 for the last 6 months and she'll get the 5.

You have to wonder are we getting to the limits of phone design with the current tech. I can't see them getting too much thinner, or too much faster without serious problems with battery life and fragility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yet again... no bastard FM radio (not that I was expecting one).

Still, enough going on to swap up from my iP4. Nice to get the new earbuds included, too. I wonder what it'll look like in a bumper case?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

apple thieving scum if you ask me glad i went android last year http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

What gave you that impression ?

Says on the apple site when comparing the 5 to the 4s that it has 225 hours on standby rather than the 200 of the 4s...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Damn those thieves. Making products that some people use and enjoy.... how dare they make a phone that actually fits in your hand, works better and looks far nicer than anything else on the market. You're right, they wont get away with it. Its not as if theyre the people that jumpstarted the smartphone industry in 2007....

...oh wait.
    But the thing is, in actual real world performance the iPhone's dual core would probably still beat most of the Androids with quad-core processors.

Where are you getting this out of? They're worse all round and cost far more, that's simply it. And that's why they're not going to get away with it for much longer in a market that's becoming increasingly price and tech savvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

massy086 wrote: »
    apple thieving scum if you ask me glad i went android last year http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Fúck me!!!! Will that even fit into my Panasonic stereo I bought last year??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

#iFail5

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just called Apple.

Available on the Irish Apple store on the 28th of September (so i'm told)

£529 stg on the UK store for the 16gb. Available fr pre-order this Friday.
    Me have a sneeky suspicion the prices will be ever so slightly up on the 4S.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Is this the first iPhone to launch being equal to or having less features than the competition?. I believe that smart phones are peaking. It will only ever be minor updates from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

The new nano is very child friendly, it even has a pedometer.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Where are you getting this out of? They're worse all round and cost far more, that's simply it. And that's why they're not going to get away with it for much longer in a market that's becoming increasingly price and tech savvy.

It was a while back last year benchmark test comparing iPhone and iPads to Android counterparts. And NO Apple stuff isn't more expensive than the Android alternatives. More uninformed bull from people who can't take the time to check it out. In some places the S3 is more expensive than the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It was a while back last year benchmark test comparing iPhone and iPads to Android counterparts. And NO Apple stuff isn't more expensive than the Android alternatives. More uninformed bull from people who can't take the time to check it out. In some places the S3 is more expensive than the iPhone.

Yes, because the S3 is 2 generations better than the Iphone. The fact that they're the even the same price is laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Is everyone going to buy this?

Im not sure I will, I dont think it looks better. I think the screen is too narrow too. Youd never know, I have a habit of buying on impulse - so I just hope I never see it in a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

massy086 wrote: »

Yes they're actually stealing the money from your pocket.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DylanII wrote: »

Im not sure I will, I dont think it looks better. I think the screen is too narrow too. Youd never know, I have a habit of buying on impulse - so I just hope I never see it in a shop.

I'll end up with 2 for free so i wont say no to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

DylanII wrote: »

If I needed a new phone I'd consider it or if I was at the end of my contract and it didn't cost a fortune to upgrade I probably would but there's nothing there to make me go and fork out €500 or whatever just because it's new.

Advertisement