Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

naasrd wrote: »
    Any Android users still here kicking the dust up? Two troll burgers to go please. Night y'all.

Try it sometime, you'll never look back, mention a new iPhone launch and a zombie plague of lemmings descends on the globe, old tech yeh all.... It's amazing what a finely tuned marketing machine can achieve.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DylanII wrote: »
    Samsung dont sell direct. The price of the S3 is €569 and not €679. That is not the same price.

You can buy direct from www.pixmania.ie
    It is €600 delivered.

iPhone is rumoured to start at €609.

And another thing, the €569 price you have quoted is for a network locked Galaxy S3.

Please compare like for like.
    If you buy a network locked iPhone 4S its also €579

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

miralize wrote: »
    I'm just referring to the absolutely idiotic statement of "they wont get away with it". Not that they have anything to get away with in the first place. They make products, some buy them, some dont buy them. Its not as if Apple have a knife to your neck..

Pulling stuff out of your ass there it seems. When did I once say "they won't get away with it"?

It's all about the market now and how it's getting so cut throat. If they can't keep up, they'll fall behind because you can't base your success on a brand and image instead of worthwhile competitive products.

I have an iPhone 4 and even this doesn't have me tempted to upgrade, and I'm it's intended upgrade market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

kceire wrote: »
    You can buy direct from www.pixmania.ie
    It is €600 delivered.

iPhone is rumoured to start at €609.

Doubt that considering the exchange from the uk site is 660 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Definitely won't bother with the '5'.

If I do change phone it might be to the One X or the QWERTY BB when it does finally come out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

1ZRed wrote: »
    Pulling stuff put of your ass there it seems. When did I once say "they won't get away with it"?

It's all about the market now and how it's getting so cut throat. If they can't keep up, they'll fall behind because you can't base your success on a brand and image instead of worthwhile competitive products.

I have an iPhone 4 and even this doesn't have me tempted to upgrade, and I'm it's intended upgrade market!

I never said you said it. I wasnt even replying to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

miralize wrote: »
    I never said you said it. I wasnt even replying to you.

Then why did you quote me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Definitely won't bother with the '5'.

If I do change phone it might be to the One X or the QWERTY BB when it does finally come out!!

Can understand wanting the One X, but seriously a Black Berry:confused:

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I may very well be wrong, they said they would match 4S prices, so im only going on that.

I will go out on a limb here and say the 16GB will be €629 max, about €30 more than a sim free Galaxy S3 from Pixmania at €599

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I have to say I was excited to see what apple would bring to the table on this one considering what Samsung released and I am disappointed to say the least not worth the upgrade from the 4s, fair dues it has a quad-core but over all very little upgrades just some fancy new cable was hoping for expendable memory but I guess thats too hard for apple to do, I think i keep my eyes on the galaxy s3 or the Note 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

1ZRed wrote: »
    Then why did you quote me?

Where did I quote you?

I may very well be wrong, they said they would match 4S prices, so im only going on that.

I will go out on a limb here and say the 16GB will be €629 max, about €30 more than a sim free Galaxy S3 from Pixmania at €599

Cant see it, like i said exchange rate from gbp to eur it works out 660, i looked and changed the rates to them all and they all come over the uk price plus a tenner or so, cant see us getting it 60 cheaper than the UK

i'll go for 679 779 & 879 :P i know it probably wont be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

I like it, lovely design, thinner and even lighter than my S2.

I might buy it. Have been using the S2 since last summer when I sold the ip4 - main reasons are I wanted a bigger display and something different. I like the S2 but miss the polish of iOS and even though Android is good I'm itching for change again!

Hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

The 5 will have the same price points as the 4s. It has been this way since the iPhone 3g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sim Free

www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B007VCRRNS/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1347480795&sr=8-2

Doylers wrote: »
    The 5 will have the same price points as the 4s. It has been this way since the iPhone 3g.

And ive posted 3 times that in the UK its 529 which is equal to 660 euros, so they are going to sell it to the people of ireland for €60 cheaper, i dont think so, makes no sense at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Iphone 4.1 more like.
    Embarrassing stuff from Apple, their innovative is dead, reminds me of the pes vs fifa battle.
    Do they expect people to spend a fortune on this device?

It will still be the biggest selling phone for the next few months as people follow like sheep.

A nice shiny galaxy s 3 for me it is then :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

now that this is coming out is it likely that the 4s will drop in price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I am loving all this hating going on. Should mean there will be only a very small queue in front of me on the morning of the 28th :D

And ive posted 3 times that in the UK its 529 which is equal to 660 euros, so they are going to sell it to the people of ireland for €60 cheaper, i dont think so, makes no sense at all

When the exchange rate was the other way round it was more favourable for us to buy in Belfast. Dont think they take Eur/Stg flucuations into account.....but we will see in due course.

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    A nice shiny galaxy s 3 for me it is then :-)

Follow the sheep heh :p

Doylers wrote: »
    And how much is it in germany

doesnt say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

A slightly stretched out 4 with a marginally better battery life :rolleyes:

Think I'll go for the S3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If there's one thing i've learned from an apple product launch its that apple can never win.

for those off to android, best of luck to you, i like stock ice cream sandwich, its not a bad OS. we might see you back here for ios 9 or the iphone 10, we might not. But, if you think Apple have "lost it" or are going under tomorrow because you dont like their new product, get a bloody grip. its a phone not the large hadron supercollider, and apple are a bloody company not scientology.

If the product doesnt suit you, shop around. you're all individuals [python](i'm not)[/python]

I find it amusing from the tone of some posts here that you're almost personally insulted that the phone isnt to your taste.

I'm reminded of guys who get royally pissed off when they're dumped and exclaim "yeah, well i can do better! my next phone/girlfriend with have bigger tits/screen!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Personally, I like it.... I had an iPhone 3G which got too slow with iOS updates and upgraded to a Galaxy S2 last year. The contract run out recently and I sold it to a phone recycling company.

The Galaxy S2 is a great phone too, albeit a bit big.

I'm now using a cheap Nokia.

However, I'll not be buying an S3 or a iPhone 5 because it doesn't meet my requirements - having recently moved to Northern Ireland, I'm looking for a dual-sim phone so that I can have a Northern Sim whilst keeping my Irish number.

Either way, I don't think anyone that upgrades to an S3 or iPhone 5 will be disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I think it is a fair reaction to the amount of attention this piece of inferior technology gets. RTE had a whole news segment on this incremental launch of an outdated phone.

Well lets face it if people are forking out half a grand for an iPhone or any phone for that matter we at least want our moneys worth these companies wouldn't be in business if it wasn't for the people buying there product, is it not?? so at least lets debate about which phone gives us more bang for our buck because apple surely aren't and yes for anyone to comment I am an iPhone user icon10.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Sorry, couldnt resist.

26643471.jpg

actually, screw that. I'm not sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Without flogging a dead horse, or whatever the correct expression may be.... There has to be a few people on this thread, who can honestly say they were expecting better, without taking it as an Apple bashing..

Apple was Steve Jobs and Wozniak.

They are now building on (in terms of Technology) a very old platform, and trying to squeeze every last drop out of it.
    They didn't meet the mark.
    To release that, and charge those prices, is a bit of an insult to the die hard user. On a brighter note, the iPhone 4 is dropping in price.. :)

Apple need to do something drastic, if they expect to be a big player in the mobile market in five years.

Every bit of Technology that comes out, is still going to be invented by other companies, but (and Apple have themselves to thank for this), everyone will be heavily patenting their own idea's, not matter how small.

Apple will either have to buy a load of them, or pay heavily for the rights to use them..

I'm sorry, but like many before them, Apple are no longer the big player they once were. (In this case, i am only referring to mobile phones)

I've heard rumours that Jobs left a legacy of ideas for the next ten years. If that is true, they'll have to squish it down to three or four.

Example, Samsung/HTC or whoever, can, and possibly will release any shaped phone in a month or two, with better specs, better screen, unbreakable glass, laser beams and a Doughnut maker.

Apple won't. They will wait another year, and release a similar looking phone to the last six, and improve slightly (If at all) on that generation spec's. Possibly another improved OS.

• Advertisement

Don't you just love technology gets people talking, Nokia were right lol

Advertisement