Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Could any one hazard a guess when this will be released on the likes of Vodafone, 02 etc? is the 28th just when apple will ship?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That actually is a bloody rip off. Bad Apple. Bad Apple.
    I think it is a fair reaction to the amount of attention this piece of inferior technology gets. RTE had a whole news segment on this incremental launch of an outdated phone.
    They even got it wrong, saying Apple kicked off the smartphone market with the their iPhone 3G.

That said, I don't really get the ire of the "I'm off to Android" people. What were they hoping for? In terms of power and spec, the iPhone isn't going to be any slower to do its thing compared to the top spec Samsung - despite what it says on paper. iOS was revealed months ago - so this isnt an OS issue.

The new device will undoubtably be shiny and lovely to behold in terms of build quality. The only drawback I can see is the screen being narrow, which doesn't seem to bother most, and was a design choice rather than a failing.

So is just that the device looks like a squished and stretched iP4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kceire wrote: »
    you wouldnt get 2 days out of an S3 either or an S2 for that matter.
    thomasj wrote: »
    Depends on your usage but you can carry a spare battery around.....

Well at my usage I would get 2 days out of an S2 - and if not then with the optional expanded battery I would definitely get 2 days. Of course there is always the Droid Razr Maxx which will last your 3 or 4 days

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'm a avid Android user, but having an iPad grants me access to this Forum

Hahah me too. Although I should have waited for a Nexus 7 instead of ipad 3 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

oh shizzle

220493.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dades wrote: »
    That said, I don't really get the ire of the "I'm off to Android" people. What were they hoping for? In terms of power and spec, the iPhone isn't going to be any slower to do its thing compared to the top spec Samsung - despite what it says on paper. iOS was revealed months ago - so this isnt an OS issue.

Honestly I was hoping for something better to drive down the price of competing android phones. This probably won't do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The marketing and simple interface will sell the phone. Clearly Apple feel that they can't compete on a component level but the interface of iTunes and the simple style of the iPhone will sell it for years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hazelanalyst

So not exactly disappointed but I suppose when all the features had basically leaked pre-launch, its a bit of a let down maybe.

Still, my iPhone 4 is on its last legs and I was holding off for this so I'm still going to get it.

Now to decide whether to go get it in Belfast on Prepay on the 21st or just hold off until the 28th and get it on Bill. Decisions people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Sorry, couldnt resist.

26643471.jpg

actually, screw that. I'm not sorry.

Really sad how Apple fanboys actually take this stuff so personally.

I'm a Macbook/iPhone user and I couldn't give a toss if someone doesn't like my iPhone.

I don't feel the need to defend a corporation like Apple. They don't give a f*ck about me anyway, why should I?

If I like their product, I'll pay for it. If not I'm going elsewhere.

Some people take brand loyalty a bit too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

just wondered into this thread and didnt read much about the release. Just a question.

What does the iPhone 5 actually have thats different to others? I had an iphone 4 once. Thought it was good enough until the Galaxy came along.

Why would people switch to an iphone 5? whats the "killer feature" this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why in the name of God is video out and ipod out not supported with the new Lightning to 30-pin Adapter? Surely they whole point of the adapter is so you can use video and ipod out? :confused:

What does the adapter actually do, does it even support charging?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I can't wait for to get my hands on one, I was speaking to cousin in New York and I'm going to get him to Fedex me it overnight when it launches there if it doesn't launch here soon enough.

The screen is great and it is looks like a genuinely nippy phone, I am disappointed with the weight reduction as my iPhone 4 felt nice and chunky. Apple are a brilliant company and make lovely products and the 5 is no different and it follows in the footsteps of jobs.

As for those whinging on the sidelines about their S3's well enjoy being second best and having a knock off product, if its not an iPhone well its not an iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

iOS 6 Golden Master

http://imzdl.tumblr.com

- - - - - - -

The iPhone 5 is £25 more expensive than what the 4S was on the UK Apple Store.

Expect to pay more than €600 for the iPhone 5 guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stinicker wrote: »

I am disappointed with the weight reduction as my iPhone 4 felt nice and chunky.

Seriously? :confused:

As for those whinging on the sidelines about their S3's well enjoy being second best and having a knock off product, if its not an iPhone well its not an iphone.

Complete and utter hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Well I'm not a fanboy but I do admit apple do have the nicest looking phones the quality is very good how about android jelly bean on iPhone 5 .....drooool icon10.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

As for those whinging on the sidelines about their S3's well enjoy being second best and having a knock off product, if its not an iPhone well its not an iphone.[/QUOTE]

Funny people say that without knowing facts like Samsung makes the screen and other components of the iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Long time Android user here (went from first gen iPhone to HTC G1 - Motorola Milestone - Galaxy S - Desire HD - Nexus S - HTC Sensation).

My opinion is it looks great but I was expecting a more drastic change to be honest (like the 3GS to 4 was) but it's difficult to improve on the still excellent good looks of the 4/4S. The subtle differences are nice (such as the aluminium back, new dock size and better place headphone jack) but it's still not right to force users to pay extra for a €30 dock adapter (that's quiet frankly... huge!) It's a shame that the ingenious no-wrong-way "Lightning" adapter isn't the standard over micro-USB because I always ALWAYS put either my USB or micro USB head in wrong and thus mark / scuff / scrape the phone.

Nice upgrades but people like specifics nowadays (what's the RAM, CPU speed etc). The screen looks excellent but the 5 should have been there when the 4 was announced, 3.5" is simply too small (but that's Job's legacy right there). Look forward to seeing it to be honest because I admire the build quality (no Android phone does compare, the closest in my experience would be the HTC One series) but that's not enough to convince me.

I have genuinely considered switching if it was good enough but it's just not enough. I love Gmail, Chrome and Drive way too much to switch - always on was pre-built with Android along with notifications but I'm not a fan of the Apple notification methods still - albeit near the same with the swipe down method but it's just very... rigid and not flexible.

Customization is huge for me and people like to make there phone there own - I understand Apples closed system but it can work when it's open. I'm sure people will mention fragmentation but that's not Google's fault, they are on the ball with upgrades and that's why they have the Nexus line.

I would use an iPhone again but something in the back of my mind would always crave the options of Android. I will admit Jelly Bean is now matched for quality and speed of iOS but more Nexus devices are coming and the're the "iPhone" to Android OS.

My next phone? Not the S3 - Galaxy Nexus (only €409 on Phonesonline.ie compared to the S3 at €579 and will have better performance with JB that the S3).

€409 - Galaxy Nexus - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1089
    €579 - Galaxy S3 - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=724

Comparison of the two - http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4219

Final Thought - Apple could have made a 128GB, 4.7", Quad-Core, 20MP, wireless charging, NFC cabable, carbon fibre superphone if they wanted but I honestly think it all comes down to the battery - we have got so far with technology but not with batteries - sucks really?!

PS: I hate TouchWiz and Sense, give me Vanilla Android any day.

PPS: iPhone 5 with Android OS on it would be so nice, same as a Lumia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I can't wait for to get my hands on one, I was speaking to cousin in New York and I'm going to get him to Fedex me it overnight when it launches there if it doesn't launch here soon enough.

The screen is great and it is looks like a genuinely nippy phone, I am disappointed with the weight reduction as my iPhone 4 felt nice and chunky. Apple are a brilliant company and make lovely products and the 5 is no different and it follows in the footsteps of jobs.

sigh, and our side was doing so well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Anyone point me in the direction of geting a Gold master ios 6 and instructions how to install ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sad, Sad, Sad person

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Media999 wrote: »
    just wondered into this thread and didnt read much about the release. Just a question.

What does the iPhone 5 actually have thats different to others? I had an iphone 4 once. Thought it was good enough until the Galaxy came along.

Why would people switch to an iphone 5? whats the "killer feature" this time?
    If you prefer your Galaxy over an iP4 then stick with it. Simple.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sad, Sad, Sad person

Agreed.

This is a presumably grown man referring to a phone. Not a woman or anything. Hes actually talking about a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The Onion have listed some of the new features:
    • Says things when you touch it, just like a real person
    • Adjustable hand-strap
    • Siri tunelessly hums when left alone for too long
    • Plaid
    • Makes a sighing noise whenever it passes older iPhones
    • Frictionless no-grip casing eases transition from hand to floor
    • Can hammer nails
    • Is pathetic piece of **** compared to the iPhone 6
    :D

I had no intention of getting one of these (recently go a new phone, so would be waiting for the 5s at least before I got a new one), but I'm still slightly disappointed by this. Granted there always comes a point when huge leaps in innovation give way to smaller incremental steps, but I had expected something that would stand out a bit more.

As a smartphone it seems great and ticks all the right boxes. It just doesn't have me getting as excited as I used to when new phones came out. Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why...an Apple iphone thread about an as yet unreleased phone and someone comes on here saying how brillliant they are because they bought a Samsung.

All the folks I know who have Samsung's got turned down for iPhone's...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Why in the name of God is video out and ipod out not supported with the new Lightning to 30-pin Adapter? Surely they whole point of the adapter is so you can use video and ipod out? :confused:

What does the adapter actually do, does it even support charging?

Not a lot. The keynote had a waffle about most thing being wireless.

So you will need to get an Apple tv for video out it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

advertsfox wrote: »
    Long time Android user here (went from first gen iPhone to HTC G1 - Motorola Milestone - Galaxy S - Desire HD - Nexus S - HTC Sensation).

My opinion is it looks great but I was expecting a more drastic change to be honest (like the 3GS to 4 was) but it's difficult to improve on the still excellent good looks of the 4/4S. The subtle differences are nice (such as the aluminium back, new dock size and better place headphone jack) but it's still not right to force users to pay extra for a €30 dock adapter (that's quiet frankly... huge!) It's a shame that the ingenious no-wrong-way "Lightning" adapter isn't the standard over micro-USB because I always ALWAYS put either my USB or micro USB head in wrong and thus mark / scuff / scrape the phone.

Nice upgrades but people like specifics nowadays (what's the RAM, CPU speed etc). The screen looks excellent but the 5 should have been there when the 4 was announced, 3.5" is simply too small (but that's Job's legacy right there). Look forward to seeing it to be honest because I admire the build quality (no Android phone does compare, the closest in my experience would be the HTC One series) but that's not enough to convince me.

I have genuinely considered switching if it was good enough but it's just not enough. I love Gmail, Chrome and Drive way too much to switch - always on was pre-built with Android along with notifications but I'm not a fan of the Apple notification methods still - albeit near the same with the swipe down method but it's just very... rigid and not flexible.

Customization is huge for me and people like to make there phone there own - I understand Apples closed system but it can work when it's open. I'm sure people will mention fragmentation but that's not Google's fault, they are on the ball with upgrades and that's why they have the Nexus line.

I would use an iPhone again but something in the back of my mind would always crave the options of Android. I will admit Jelly Bean is now matched for quality and speed of iOS but more Nexus devices are coming and the're the "iPhone" to Android OS.

My next phone? Not the S3 - Galaxy Nexus (only €409 on Phonesonline.ie compared to the S3 at €579 and will have better performance with JB that the S3).

€409 - Galaxy Nexus - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1089
    €579 - Galaxy S3 - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=724

Comparison of the two - http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4219

Final Thought - Apple could have made a 128GB, 4.7", Quad-Core, 20MP, wireless charging, NFC cabable, carbon fibre superphone if they wanted but I honestly think it all comes down to the battery - we have got so far with technology but not with batteries - sucks really?!

PS: I hate TouchWiz and Sense, give me Vanilla Android any day.

PPS: iPhone 5 with Android OS on it would be so nice, same as a Lumia :)

Can like this post more than once. A well thought out, and fair perspective from an Android user.

Yeah but i was just wondering whats the feature that makes this better? When the iphone 4 came out it was the retina display. Whats the iphone 5 feature that apple are boasting about now?

Is it just an iphone? Simple as that. Judging by previous posts i assume thats enough to have the hipsters have there phones "fedexed" over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So......does it have snake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

And go over to the Samsung thread...........:P

Advertisement