Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

advertsfox wrote: »
    Long time Android user here (went from first gen iPhone to HTC G1 - Motorola Milestone - Galaxy S - Desire HD - Nexus S - HTC Sensation).

My opinion is it looks great but I was expecting a more drastic change to be honest (like the 3GS to 4 was) but it's difficult to improve on the still excellent good looks of the 4/4S. The subtle differences are nice (such as the aluminium back, new dock size and better place headphone jack) but it's still not right to force users to pay extra for a €30 dock adapter (that's quiet frankly... huge!) It's a shame that the ingenious no-wrong-way "Lightning" adapter isn't the standard over micro-USB because I always ALWAYS put either my USB or micro USB head in wrong and thus mark / scuff / scrape the phone.

Nice upgrades but people like specifics nowadays (what's the RAM, CPU speed etc). The screen looks excellent but the 5 should have been there when the 4 was announced, 3.5" is simply too small (but that's Job's legacy right there). Look forward to seeing it to be honest because I admire the build quality (no Android phone does compare, the closest in my experience would be the HTC One series) but that's not enough to convince me.

I have genuinely considered switching if it was good enough but it's just not enough. I love Gmail, Chrome and Drive way too much to switch - always on was pre-built with Android along with notifications but I'm not a fan of the Apple notification methods still - albeit near the same with the swipe down method but it's just very... rigid and not flexible.

Customization is huge for me and people like to make there phone there own - I understand Apples closed system but it can work when it's open. I'm sure people will mention fragmentation but that's not Google's fault, they are on the ball with upgrades and that's why they have the Nexus line.

I would use an iPhone again but something in the back of my mind would always crave the options of Android. I will admit Jelly Bean is now matched for quality and speed of iOS but more Nexus devices are coming and the're the "iPhone" to Android OS.

My next phone? Not the S3 - Galaxy Nexus (only €409 on Phonesonline.ie compared to the S3 at €579 and will have better performance with JB that the S3).

€409 - Galaxy Nexus - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1089
    €579 - Galaxy S3 - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=724

Comparison of the two - http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4219

Final Thought - Apple could have made a 128GB, 4.7", Quad-Core, 20MP, wireless charging, NFC cabable, carbon fibre superphone if they wanted but I honestly think it all comes down to the battery - we have got so far with technology but not with batteries - sucks really?!

PS: I hate TouchWiz and Sense, give me Vanilla Android any day.

PPS: iPhone 5 with Android OS on it would be so nice, same as a Lumia :)

Cheers for the insightful post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I made this for a scone page on facebook
    iscone5.png
    ta da :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Looks like it's gonna start at €679 SIM free from apple.The 4s is now down to €579 on the store. Saucy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hazelanalyst

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Looks like it's gonna start at €679 SIM free from apple.The 4s is now down to €579 on the store. Saucy!

I see 4S price reduction but can't see 5 price?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

A lot of negative comments about the new iPhone on the internet. It has a bigger screen, processor and LTE communication so what? New connector called "lightening" what drivel marketing.

This is one of the best comments I read:

"So what's so great about a phone launch now? Maybe the phones that come out 5 years ago were revolutionary, but now they're more of the same, just with 15% better processor power over the last generation and a slightly better camera. No newspaper reports when Zanussi come up with a new fridge, or BOSCH release a new washing machine that shaves 5 minutes off a full cotton pre-wash cycle? What's so special about iphones? God, help!"

Apple have become boring tech bullies.

Samsung S3 still currently ahead and the Nokia Lumia 920 / 820 Windows 8 range looks the more interesting of the new phones on the way, having wireless charging, LTE, a better camera, NFC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

Me due an upgrade in October nice...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

If someone could pm me the link for the iOS 6 gold master I would be a very happy man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

advertsfox wrote: »
    My next phone? Not the S3 - Galaxy Nexus (only €409 on Phonesonline.ie compared to the S3 at €579 and will have better performance with JB that the S3).

€409 - Galaxy Nexus - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1089
    €579 - Galaxy S3 - http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=724

Comparison of the two - http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4219

Galaxy Nexus for 354 here:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11522416/art/samsung/galaxy-nexus.html

S3 for 548 here:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/12004698/art/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-16-gb-blue.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Just as a side note, has the iPod Classic gone up €40 to €269 or is that my imagination? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It won't be €679.

It will be more than €600 though. Maybe €629 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Stinicker wrote: »
    I can't wait for to get my hands on one, I was speaking to cousin in New York and I'm going to get him to Fedex me it overnight when it launches there if it doesn't launch here soon enough.

The screen is great and it is looks like a genuinely nippy phone, I am disappointed with the weight reduction as my iPhone 4 felt nice and chunky. Apple are a brilliant company and make lovely products and the 5 is no different and it follows in the footsteps of jobs.

As for those whinging on the sidelines about their S3's well enjoy being second best and having a knock off product, if its not an iPhone well its not an iphone.

Advertisers wet dream, you are.

The best bit about the new iphone is it makes a similar phone cheaper! :)

A lot of negative comments about the new iPhone on the internet. It has a bigger screen, processor and LTE communication so what? New connector called "lightening" what drivel marketing.

This is one of the best comments I read:

"So what's so great about a phone launch now? Maybe the phones that come out 5 years ago were revolutionary, but now they're more of the same, just with 15% better processor power over the last generation and a slightly better camera. No newspaper reports when Zanussi come up with a new fridge, or BOSCH release a new washing machine that shaves 5 minutes off a full cotton pre-wash cycle? What's so special about iphones? God, help!"

Apple have become boring tech bullies.

Samsung S3 still currently ahead and the Nokia Lumia 920 / 820 Windows 8 range looks the more interesting of the new phones on the way, having wireless charging, LTE, a better camera, NFC

Read that blog it's all the android heads taking the Mick out of a phone they've only seen a picture off bless.

I see 4S price reduction but can't see 5 price?

The German store has it up at starting from €679.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    It won't be €679.

It will be more than €600 though. Maybe €629 or so.

I think it will be. German store has it up at 679. They will want to charge a little more than a €40-50 premium for the new model!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The German store has it up at starting from €679.

German store means nothing in relation to the IE store.

They had the new iPad for a higher price in the Germany store and it turned out to be cheaper on the IE store the two weeks later.

And attracts similar people to the new iPhone thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They had the new iPad for a higher price in the Germany store and it turned out to be cheaper on the IE store the two weeks later.

I'd be shocked if you are right, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Apple are about to launch yet another inferior phone than what's already out there?

Big. Swinging. Mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yes also would love it if you were right, but the 4s is the same price in Germany and Ireland. Also the iPad is the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Hopefully the taller screen means the keypad buttons are larger, the size of them on the 4s annoys me.
    New reversible connector will be handy for when you're plugging it in to charge in the dark!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Media999 wrote: »
    Yeah but i was just wondering whats the feature that makes this better? When the iphone 4 came out it was the retina display. Whats the iphone 5 feature that apple are boasting about now?
    I'd imagine the bigger screen screen is the main feature. Look, did you actually look at the keynote? It's the lastest in the line of phones produced by Apple that run their OS. If you like their OS, and want a phone with an improved spec than the last one Apple made then get one. Or if you don't like the Android platform then get one. Otherwise don't. It's not rocket science.
    Media999 wrote: »
    Is it just an iphone? Simple as that. Judging by previous posts i assume thats enough to have the hipsters have there phones "fedexed" over.
    And here's me thinking you were actually looking for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

M three wrote: »
    Hopefully the taller screen means the keypad buttons are larger, the size of them on the 4s annoys me.
    New reversible connector will be handy for when you're plugging it in to charge in the dark!
    Won't be I'm afraid, screen is practically the same with a bit more head room.

Oh agreed, really like the new cable for solutions like this - true innovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Have they actually given a decent background to the A6?

The 4G LTE is such a great addition for Irish users. I hear the Irish mobile companies have secretly been working on a LTE network and intend to launch it on the same day as the iphone 5 is released. :D:D

It seems the iOS6 will be more interesting than the new iphone 5.

In fairness what do people expect from the apple (or other companies) when there release a new version of a phone that's on the market. It's always the same - make it lighter/smaller/faster/better camera/better screen etc... It's always the same, and there's nothing wrong with that.

IMO it's the little tweaks to Airplay/emails and the iOS that make the iphone so good. People argue that Android is so much better than the iphone because you're not locked into Apple. IMO being locked into apple isn't such a bad thing - there stuff works. The control and access that having a number of Apple products together gives you is amazing and very user friendly.

Ok so the iphone 5 isn't going to achieve world peace or eliminate global warming but I can't think of anything that I am hugely missing for the iphone.

I more than likely will get an iphone 5 when it launches. I didn't get the iphone 4s when it came out as I already have an iphone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

PatrickMc wrote: »
    Read that blog it's all the android heads taking the Mick out of a phone they've only seen a picture off bless.

The Apple WOW factor is gone only the most brain washed Apple fanbios cannot see that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Missed opportunity to improve battery life :rolleyes:

Thickness goes from 9.3mm --> 7.6mm , imagine all the battery life that cud have been squeezed into the 2mm difference. Oh well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Will someone PM me a link for IOS6 Gold Master for iPad 2 & iPhone 4 please.

Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

So it's got faster processor, bigger & better screen, LTE, better camera, better sound quality, and better battery life in a phone that is now one of the thinnest and lightest in the world? What's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Elessar wrote: »
    So it's got faster processor, bigger & better screen, LTE, better camera, better sound quality, and better battery life in a phone that is now one of the thinnest and lightest in the world? What's not to like?

the battery doesn't last forever, it doesn't have a 56" holographic screen and it doesn't perform functions before you even think about needing to use them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I know I wish I could thank my own post, if boards.ie was an Apple product I bet I could.

Advertisement