Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Elessar wrote: »
    So it's got faster processor, bigger & better screen, LTE, better camera, better sound quality, and better battery life in a phone that is now one of the thinnest and lightest in the world? What's not to like?

Evolution not revolution.

Nokia 920 delivered the same and more (wireless charging and NFC) a week ago. Samsung S3 has an LTE version with Android 4.1 on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

bmm wrote: »
    Missed opportunity to improve battery life :rolleyes:

Thickness goes from 9.3mm --> 7.6mm , imagine all the battery life that cud have been squeezed into the 2mm difference. Oh well ...

Yeh I agree. Plus a better camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

So basically if you recharge your 4s once in 24 hrs, you now get to recharge once in 27 hrs.......which is pointless as you will jsut do it overnight as usual.

A battery improvement that means something means you will only have to recharge it every 2 days or 3 days. It would have been worth their while keeping the thickness as the 4s to facilitate this

Well if you don't (and I'm not saying you do, more so people in general) go on facebook constantly and other apps, or have the brightness full blast then you might get 2 to 3 days out of it......the people I see with iPhone's constantly have stupid stuff open draining the battery. If it was me I'd go on facebook on it up and down during the day and have the brightness way down when not using it.....surely that would give you 2 days, possibly 3?

The Blackberry I have now I go on facebook and do some general browsing on it. Of course I text and ring people, but not a lot throughout the day, and I get 4 days out of it, the phone is nearly 2 years old. Surely light to medium use on an iPhone would get you 2-3 days?

P.S. Don't say why the heck are you thinking of getting an iPhone 5 if you're not going to be such a heavy user of its features :P. The main reason is that I usually change my phone every two years and it's either a newer Blackberry or the iPhone 5, and I was thinking a change is in order so I'm leaning towards the iPhone 5 but if the battery is only going to last a day with light to sometimes medium use then not a chance am I paying nearly €600 quid for one, which would be a pity because bar something unforeseen happens to my phones I usually have them about 2 years so I wouldn't mind paying so much as I would feel I'll be getting my money's worth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Elessar wrote: »
    So it's got faster processor, bigger & better screen, LTE, better camera, better sound quality, and better battery life in a phone that is now one of the thinnest and lightest in the world? What's not to like?

I think that very post was made about the Samsung Galaxy S3 when it was released :pac:

...I am joking, but only kinda :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Just as a side note, has the iPod Classic gone up €40 to €269 or is that my imagination? :confused:

Not just your imagination. No improvements to the model, no media coverage but they jacked up the price nearly 20%. I'm not happy with that at all. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Think the iPod Touch and Nano range is a bit of hint to the post-Jobs era. I really don't think we'd see those coloured designs under his control. Possible nod from Apple into the camera market with the new Touch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

It seems that it will be 679. German/French stores have it at this price. They also have 4s at 579. So be prepared to pay 679 for an extra 1/2 inch:-)

Stinicker wrote: »
    I know I wish I could thank my own post, if boards.ie was an Apple product I bet I could.

Apple are sitting on 100BILLION cash thanks to people like you. Spending their hard earned cash on shiny Apple toys.

Plus exploiting Chinese workers in the process, have a read and then sleep well:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2202170/iPhone-5-release-Inside-shocking-conditions-Foxconn-factory.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Apple are sitting on 100BILLION cash thanks to people like you. Spending their hard earned cash on shiny Apple toys.

Plus exploiting Chinese workers in the process, have a read and then sleep well:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2202170/iPhone-5-release-Inside-shocking-conditions-Foxconn-factory.html

Samsung made 2.75Bn Stg profit in the first 1/4 of 2012 thanks to people like you. . Spending their hard earned cash on shiny Samsung toys.
    April-June operating profit totaled 6.72 trillion won ($5.9 billion)

Do not have an S3 and more importantly 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Apple because of demand and the new CEO squeezing the supply chain are the most guilty of worker exploitation.

They could have moved to another contract manufacturer with better conditions however it would cost $50 more per device so they stuck with Foxconn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Got sorted with the IOS6 GM downloads for iPad 2 & iPhone 4 so no need for PM's.

Cheers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Samsung are no better , they exploit the Chinese workers just as much , as do every electronics company on the planet .and regarding people that just buy it because its the newest model, its the way the consumer world works and whether you admit or not you've made some purchase like this at some stage .

Samsung Abuse
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3293674/china-labor-watch-samsung-labor-abuse-underage-employment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I'm sure it will be more than capable of running Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Shane732 wrote: »
    Have they actually given a decent background to the A6?

The 4G LTE is such a great addition for Irish users. I hear the Irish mobile companies have secretly been working on a LTE network and intend to launch it on the same day as the iphone 5 is released. :D:D

It seems the iOS6 will be more interesting than the new iphone 5.

In fairness what do people expect from the apple (or other companies) when there release a new version of a phone that's on the market. It's always the same - make it lighter/smaller/faster/better camera/better screen etc... It's always the same, and there's nothing wrong with that.

IMO it's the little tweaks to Airplay/emails and the iOS that make the iphone so good. People argue that Android is so much better than the iphone because you're not locked into Apple. IMO being locked into apple isn't such a bad thing - there stuff works. The control and access that having a number of Apple products together gives you is amazing and very user friendly.

Ok so the iphone 5 isn't going to achieve world peace or eliminate global warming but I can't think of anything that I am hugely missing for the iphone.

I more than likely will get an iphone 5 when it launches. I didn't get the iphone 4s when it came out as I already have an iphone 4.

Wrong on all counts, especially on LTE / 4G networks, like Irish networks would roll out LTE to coincide with a phone specific phone launch. Deluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I didn't see any mention of the "nano" sim. Was it just too boring for them to mention?

Also it's the first time I'm tempted by the white model over the black....the aluminium back looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Do not have an S3 and more importantly 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Apple because of demand and the new CEO squeezing the supply chain are the most guilty of worker exploitation.

They could have moved to another contract manufacturer with better conditions however it would cost $50 more per device so they stuck with Foxconn.

Almost every piece of electronics in the world is made by Foxconn. Like, you know - cheap dells. Only Apple does something about it.

You should now rush out and buy a mac made in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I didn't see any mention of the "nano" sim. Was it just too boring for them to mention?

Also it's the first time I'm tempted by the white model over the black....the aluminium back looks nice.

Not sure if your asking, but nano sim confirmed on apple website.

Samsung are no better , they exploit the Chinese workers just as much , as do every electronics company on the planet .and regarding people that just buy it because its the newest model, its the way the consumer world works and whether you admit or not you've made some purchase like this at some stage .

Samsung Abuse
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3293674/china-labor-watch-samsung-labor-abuse-underage-employment

Indeed I have gotten caught up in hype, occasionally, however Apple fanatics are the Jehovah Witnesses of tech and will buy any shiny new apple toy regardless of how it stands up on merit against the competition and try and convince you to buy aswell, not taking no for an answer kinda like nuisance Jehovah Witnesses followers that have doorstepped me from time to time.

Anyway solid update. Won't be for me because like most iPhone users I am happy to upgrade every 2 cycles. Something Android users with their big screen fetish and inability to update to the latest Android on all but the latest machines can't do.

Thinner, faster, lighter, better wireless. Not sure what the upset is about. Oh the screen apparently isn't heading towards the 10" tendency of Android phones which have to differentiate themselves.

More important for me, iOS 6 will run on this, the 4, the 4S and the 3GS meaning more developers picking apple first for most apps.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Got sorted with the IOS6 GM downloads for iPad 2 & iPhone 4 so no need for PM's.

Cheers....

Check out the spire in 3D in iOS 6

It looks ok.

• Advertisement

Indeed I have gotten caught up in hype, occasionally, however Apple fanatics are the Jehovah Witnesses of tech and will buy any shiny new apple toy regardless of how it stands up on merit against the competition and try and convince you to buy aswell, not taking no for an answer kinda like nuisance Jehovah Witnesses followers that have doorstepped me from time to time.

The only door steppers here are you and the other Android fanatics. In an Apple devices forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Deank wrote: »
    Wrong on all counts, especially on LTE / 4G networks, like Irish networks would roll out LTE to coincide with a phone specific phone launch. Deluded

with regards the LTE rollout, i'm sure he's being sarcastic. irish networks, arses and elbows and all that, and the rest, well they're his opinions.... how can they be wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Anyway solid update. Won't be for me because like most iPhone users I am happy to upgrade every 2 cycles. Something Android users with their big screen fetish and inability to update to the latest Android on all but the latest machines can't do.

Thinner, faster, lighter, better wireless. Not sure what the upset is about. Oh the screen apparently isn't heading towards the 10" tendency of Android phones which have to differentiate themselves.

More important for me, iOS 6 will run on this, the 4, the 4S and the 3GS meaning more developers picking apple first for most apps.

I'm not sure if that is the case anymore. Android has a huge user base and apple offers only high end phones so they are missing a huge amount of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Small print for the Apple lightning to 30pin adapter "Video and iPod Out not supported." What good is it if it don't do video or ipod out? They've just obsoleted millions of docks and accessories in one swoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Deank wrote: »
    Try it sometime, you'll never look back, mention a new iPhone launch and a zombie plague of lemmings descends on the globe, old tech yeh all.... It's amazing what a finely tuned marketing machine can achieve.

I tried it, I was impressed by the phone app force closing when I would receive a call.
    It certainly takes quite some skill to make a phone that can't receive calls sometimes.

Panorama on the 4s. I thought it was just for the 5

The only door steppers here are you and the other Android fanatics. In an Apple devices forum.

Yeah, freedom of speech is a bitch sometimes, not available to the Chinese Foxconn Apple iPhone worker though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Small print for the Apple lightning to 30pin adapter "Video and iPod Out not supported." What good is it if it don't do video or ipod out? They've just obsoleted millions of docks and accessories in one swoop

Its no problem, its a new product so I am sure there will be loads of new docks and accessories out to meet the demands of the new iPhone 5 customer base. Apple is a premium brand and this change will bolster its premium feel, hopefully there will be less tacky knock-off accessories floating about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Could be worse could be using child labor
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/samsung-faces-new-crisis-over-child-labour-claims-206578.html

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that is the case anymore. Android has a huge user base and apple offers only high end phones so they are missing a huge amount of the market.

You missed the point about fragmentation. App devs try to get the higher end of the market - not that anybody wants to pay really. Last figure I heard was 80% of typical paid apps revenue from iOs

Advertisement