Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Yeah, freedom of speech is a bitch sometimes, not available to the Chinese Foxconn Apple iPhone worker though...

Or apparently the Samsung, Dell, Htc Foxconn workers. Order something from Cork. And forums don't have free speech, they are modded.

The main point you missed is that it is Android fanatics who act like the Jehovah witnesses. Here you are on the release of a a new iPhone come to tell us about our heretic ways. Do iPhone fans plague Android fora when Samsung releases stuff? I doubt it. The religious cult is now Androidism.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

dloob wrote: »

Am not defending Samsung either.

I would like all production in a 1st world democratic country with a labour regulated market. Not the Chinese Communist autocratic state.

Or apparently the Samsung, Dell, Htc Foxconn workers. Order something from Cork. And forums don't have free speech, they are modded.

The main point you missed is that it is Android fanatics who act like the Jehovah witnesses. Here you are on the release of a a new iPhone come to tell us about our heretic ways. Do iPhone fans plague Android fora when Samsung releases stuff? I doubt it. The religious cult is now Androidism.

The greatest current abuses are in the production facilities where the demand is greatest, hence Apple and Samsung currently have the biggest moral issues with worker exploitation. That is undisputed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Am not defending Samsung either.

I would like all production in a 1st world democratic country with a labour regulated market. Not the Chinese Communist autocratic state.

And i'd like to convince my wife to have a threesome with her hot mate, but we cant all get what we want.

This thread is discussing the iphone 5, not foxconns working practices.

make a new thread about it, or talk to joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Not sure if I'll move to it from the 4.
    It seems like a decent upgrade but I'll probably wait and see how the Lumia 920 actually performs.
    If I don't get the 5 I'll get the new ipod, the iOS ecosystem can't be beaten after all.

Still I expect it will sell out on release and possibly set yet another record.
    I'm sure that will result in lots of gnashing of teeth from the android sheep and lots of "but but my phone has more ghz and gbs and cores!"

• Advertisement

And i'd like to convince my wife to have a threesome with her hot mate, but we cant all get what we want.

This thread is discussing the iphone 5, not foxconns working practices.

make a new thread about it, or talk to joe.

Just defending my original point with a current daily mail article on apple work practices, attempting to prick the conscience of all those iphone fans. I can understand others prefer to ignore the source of their shiny new tech toys (from Apple or Samsung) and throw a few cent in a Trocaire box once a year to placate their conscience!

Anyway BACK on Topic more on this new "lightning" connector:
    http://www.reghardware.com/2012/09/12/apple_lightning_adaptors_reveal_limitations/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

My god everything is always Apple vs Samsung even now who is the least worst at expoliting people :rolleyes:

Anyway ive always hated Iphones, everything about them, just not for me, but was interested in what they would offer in the Iphone 5.

Even a hardcore apple fan would admit it is a real disappointment. I thought the 4S was an improvement on 4 but again nothing amazing. Siri is great and all but I'm sure the majority of users wouldn't use it very often.

Do think its a good idea to increase screen size, I find the S2 and S3 about the right size.

I know Apples sales will always be good, but would people now expect the fall in sales to continue another few percent?

Odd thing is, only MP3 player I've ever had was an Ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

A real breakthrough there with panoramic pictures....
    Apples main selling point seems to be their cameras are getting better which annoys me if you want a good camera just buy one instead of forking out a ridiculous amount of money for an average phone with a camera that is excellent in phone terms but will never come close to what you could achieve with an actual camera due to lens size resctrictions.

Also hate that they charge an extra 100 dollars for 16gb, what a joke

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just defending my original point with a current daily mail article on apple work practices, attempting to prick the conscience of all those iphone fans. I can understand others prefer to ignore the source of their shiny new tech toys (from Apple or Samsung) and throw a few cent in a Trocaire box once a year to placate their conscience!

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/09/12/apple_lightning_adaptors_reveal_limitations/

Who built the PC your typing your posts on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They get more working in the factory than the fields.
    My buying of electronics is a form of charity, lifting them from their peasant lifestyle.

Now to TheRegisters article on the lightning connector.
    So the mico-usb adapter is USB 2 only but that seems to be a limitation of micro-usb, no one knows if the proper cable is usb 3 yet.
    I guess we'll be stuck with the mico-usb version by default in the EU though.

I'm more concerned about the lack of support for ipod out and what implications that may have.
    Can't find anything on that yet.

Given the size of the adapter it looks like an active translation chip is involved, so that could prevent any cheap alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

A real breakthrough there with panoramic pictures....
    Apples main selling point seems to be their cameras are getting better which annoys me if you want a good camera just buy one instead of forking out a ridiculous amount of money for an average phone with a camera that is excellent in phone terms but will never come close to what you could achieve with an actual camera due to lens size resctrictions.

Also hate that they charge an extra 100 dollars for 16gb, what a joke

Panoramic pictures has been available in Android since 2011. Nice to see Apple catching up though. Their legendary innovation at it's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

omega666 wrote: »
    Panoramic pictures has been available in Android since 2011. Nice to see Apple catching up though. Their legendary innovation at it's finest.

I have an Android 2.3.6, how do I take panoramic pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

this phone may be a bit lacklustre but listening to the android hive mind would nearly compel you into buying one just to spite them

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

I have an Android 2.3.6, how do I take panoramic pictures?

upgrade to Ice cream sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

omega666 wrote: »
    upgrade to Ice cream sandwich.

I'm still waiting for the update. Who knows when that will happen (it will come out for my phone but I'm not sure when).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

With a year left on my 4S contract there isn't enough incentive to break that or look for an upgrade to the 5 so in a way I'm quite happy it's underwhelming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Just finished watching the event in full. Ok, it hasn't knocked me off my seat but I'm sold. Ive had my iPhone 4 for over 2 years & I am due an upgrade. With my current contract I will get it free so why not. I want a new phone and this will definitely fulfill my needs. The phone plus IOS6 will be a nice jump for me. I like how simple IOS is. None of this Honeycomb, Jelly Bean or Ice-Cream sandwich updates with numbers after them released for some phones and not others. An Apple cliche but "it just works" & given I have an iPad 2 it suits me.

The S3 & One X are just a bit big for me. I hear plenty re them crashing and the customize element can be border line on confusing from what I have seen. I understand it is each to their own and horses for courses but the iPhone has always done everything I wanted/needed so Im happy out.

Look forward to a shout from the network re pricing and availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I have a 4S. The 5 has made me strongly consider the new Nokia phone (wireless charging, etc.) as my next phone... totally underwhelmed and I think the long screen looks stupid. The thing with the 4S is I could accept it wasn't as good as some of its rivals but it is prettier, so I bought it... but no way am I buying a weaker, ugly phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Nearly every electronics device and clothing item has its issues. Humans exploit the weak for profit. This is how the world works, has always worked, and will always work. Believe me, the people in the Chinese factories and African mines would happily use items based on your exploitation too. Doesn't make it right, but it's reality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Very surprised the ipad mini wasn't unveiled considering the success of the Google nexus 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

For me it's more about the operating system than the phone. I have a Mac and an iPod touch and iPad, and inherited a friends old Samsung galaxy when they upgraded replacing my 10 yr old Nokia brick. I hate it.....really prefer iOS- I love that my Mac and iPod and iPad all sync up, my calendars and email sync up - I know this can be done on android, but for the life of me I haven't figured out how! I just dont find it intuitive. I also prefer the app store, so I think I might finally make the leap and get one - depending on the cost of plans offered and how long the battery actually lasts in real life. My 10 year old nokia held charge longer than this galaxy does, and i barely use it. I'm not disappointed it doesn't have wireless charging....it's just an extra thing I would need to lug around with me. Much rather carry one charger for everything and change out the cables. Plus if it makes the phone bigger/ heavier, then it's just a gimmick I can do without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed...I don't need an iPhone 5 and had said to myself I wouldn't bother upgrading as I'm happy enough with the 4S (apart from battery life) but somehow they've gone and done enough so that I still want the 5.

And I can get an upgrade in November according to O2.

I would have liked the option of a tough, ruggedised version of the iPhone with an integrated solar panel that is efficient enough to derive power from normal indoor ambient light as well as ordinary solar power. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Underwhelming, but looking at it Apple can't win either way.

I'm still going to buy it as it's a massive improvement on my 2 year old iPhone 4. Bit bummed by the increase in price though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

At this rate Samsung are so far ahead of Apple that Apple will never catch up.

Every release of the latest iPhone has MINIMAL improvements while Samsung continually pull away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why are they holding off on NFC? Most of the high end Androids and BlackBerry already have it and the Windows ones are getting it in Windows 8.

Maybe they're holding it for 5s exclusive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I have the 4 since launch date and still happy with it as it does what I need and am due an upgrade but have decided to hold on.

I feel if my current phone still does what I want then no need to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Too lazy to trawl through the pages of 'my samsung is bigger than your apple'...

When is this thing available for pre-order? Today?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

biko wrote: »
    Another video, I didn't see it in this thread yet.
    Could be fake mind.

It's a fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Very surprised the ipad mini wasn't unveiled considering the success of the Google nexus 7.

Maybe it's not ready... Or they're afraid it would take the spotlight off the iPhone 5?

My current iPhone still works just fine for what I need. I like the new one but don't see any reason to bother upgrading. (An extra 64 gb for a larger selection of videos to carry on my travels might've done it).

I can see the iPad mini being the next Apple product I'm actually interested in! I love my iPad only it's really heavy (relatively) and too large to stick in a handbag (well my ones anyway). I've looked at the new Kindle Fire and the Android tablets but at this point I'm so invested in Apple stuff that it would take something spectacular to make me change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

When it will be available on amazon?

Advertisement