Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Aside from Apple evangelists, this Iphone 5 lights no fires under anyone, I suspect.
    Looks too similar to the previous model and too few innovations, the Galaxy 3 had it trumped months ago.

I'm very surprised Apple would drop the ball.
    It's like they don't care to convert non aligned phone owners to their cause, and certainly, judging by this effort, aren't trying to convince Android users to switch to IOS.

The new Nano looks nice though, might pick one up for the laugh, look brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm now fairly undecided about what phone to get. On the one hand, I do love iPhones and iOS. Had an Xperia Arc for about 6 months before I just had to get rid of it. Not just because of the phone itself, but everything just seemed harder and more complicated on Android. I much preferred the simplicity of iOS, because when all is said and done, I don't want a mini-computer in my pocket, I want a smartphone, and doing things on iOS (downloading apps, music, podcasts, email, internet and just changing general settings etc) just always felt easier.

That being said, even with all the leaked info over the last while about the iPhone5, I was still expecting some new secret. Something not leaked, that would have wowed everyone as no-one would have thought of it. There wasn't.

Before yesterday, I was pretty much convinced I'd be getting an iPhone5 (currently have the 4). Now, I might do a bit of investigating into other phones first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, bit underwhelmed by it. I will wait to see what the various Nexus releases are like in a month or 2. At the moment I'm leaning towards them unless they royally f**k them up.

What has happened to the Apple design, the new iphone doesn't look so good and those nano's :eek: That has to be the ugliest piece of hardware I've ever seen them produce, it looks worse than any of the Chinese knockoffs that you come across. Horrendous looking thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

FearDark wrote: »
    Every release of the latest iPhone has MINIMAL improvements while Samsung continually pull away.

The sales figures probably won't reflect that.

Why would apple reinvent the iPhone now? The existing userbase are, mostly, satisfied and its still selling very well. They'd have more to lose than gain.

Samsung were always in a position where they needed to keep pushing with new hardware and it worked - people are noticing that theres great alternatives out there.

A lot of people don't want their iPhone to turn into a Samsung S3.

I'd prefer to have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Yea, my contracts up for renewal and this iphone 5 is not really making me want to renew it for another 2 years and pay close to €200 for the phone.

I still have an old i-phone 3 Im using, might upgrade to an iphone 4 if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Have used nothing but iphone for the past 5 years or so.
    Was never interested in any other phone as the iphone was the top of the heap so why change...
    I was disappointed at the 4s launch but got it anyway and its a great phone as the 4 was.

I was reading all the rumours over the past months and was shocked to think that apple could be thinking of releasing what they did yesterday.
    I listened to the promo on the apple site, Sir Jony going on about innovation, design, working from the ground up etc????
    Its the same bloody phone only lighter and longer?
    How long did it take him to come up with that.
    Anyway, I bought an S3 this week and I am ashamed to say it pisses all over the iphone in every way.
    I feared this when Steve went and can see things getting worse at apple.

I still love my ipad and imac.
    If somebody brought out a better tablet I would consider it but I think apple still have the best tablet and best desktop in the shape of the imac.
    I am thinking of buying a macbook pro with the money I have from the sale of my 4s.
    I don't think the iphone 5 is for me.
    Sorry apple , you won't be getting my money this year (for a phone at least)
    Maybe next year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

FearDark wrote: »
    At this rate Samsung are so far ahead of Apple that Apple will never catch up.

Every release of the latest iPhone has MINIMAL improvements while Samsung continually pull away.

Y'see, I just don't get that.

I don't get why the vast majority of people, if handed an S3 and an iPhone 5, would think that.

I don't think they will.

I am bored with iOS. I've had a 3GS and two iphone 4 handsets. I've had an HTC Desire and I still have a Sony Arc S.

Since the Ars S got ice cream sandwich recently, I went back to it for a while. And as much as iOS doesn't excite me anymore, I find things faster and simpler with it. Things that you don't even thinking about when you're sitting having a good ol nerd fest and messing with all the options and different features. For example, with young children the ability to use the bloody thing with one hand becomes so much more important.

The usability, the ability for iOS to just fade out and it becomes purely a tool. I think for all it's greatness, no Android handset that I have used (including the S3. Which would have been my handset of choice if I was ten years younger :pac: ) has achieved that.

I think this article on wired nails it totally.
    But the iPhone? It’s boring. And it’s probably going to remain that way for the foreseeable future. It’s not bad, it’s just the march of time and technology. Revolution becomes evolution. And that phone in your pocket–or more to the point, in the store window–becomes just a part of your life. It’s something you use, something you rely on. And then completely forget about. And in its own way, that’s actually kind of mind-blowing.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/the-iphone-5-is-boring-and-amazing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This has to be one of the most painful threads to read on boards at the moment.
    It's filled with awful trolls stating that the S3 is miles ahead of the iPhone, that Apple will never catch up, that the new iPhone is crap (along with all the older iPhones), and this is the end of Apple.
    Then on the other side you have a lot of fanboys claiming it is the greatest phone ever made.

For the trolls, can you explain how exactly the S3 is better? The specs of the S3 and iPhone 5 are similiar, and the perfomance is ver silimiar, so it can't be that. So what does that leave? The screen size? Oh whoop de ****ing do. So how is that better? Not everybody wants a massive screen on there phone. I don't want a 4.5 inch screen, it's too big and actually put me off buying a S3.

Apple have not done anything innovative or revolutionary here. Do you know why? Cos they can't. Either can Samsung. This is because technology for phones has got to a point where the only option for change at the moment is either upgrading ram, processors, new screens etc. What do people expect? A new phone that is going to cook them dinner when they get in from work?!

People need to take their head out of the sand and cop on a little bit. The S3 wasn't much of a jump from the S2. The same way the iPhone 5 isn't much of a jump from the 4s. Nevertheless, they are both jumps and improvements and yet people are still complaining :rolleyes:

I have an iPhone 4 and would like to change phone. I gave Android a go a few years ago with a HTC Desire and wasn't a big fan of it at the time. I was considering getting an S3 to give it another go but the screen size put me off. I would like an iPhone 5 as I think the small increase in size of screen will be nice and I like iOS. I also really like the look of the 2 tone back cover of the phone, however, the only disappointing thing I found from last night is the overrall look of the phone is too similiar to the iPhone 4/s. I will wait a month or 2 and have a play with one before deciding. I am also planning on trying to get a play with a few other Android phones before making up my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BDJW wrote: »
    It's filled with awful trolls stating that the S3 is miles ahead of the iPhone, that Apple will never catch up, that the new iPhone is crap (along with all the older iPhones), and this is the end of Apple.
    Then on the other side you have a lot of fanboys claiming it is the greatest phone ever made.

For the trolls, can you explain how exactly the S3 is better? The specs of the S3 and iPhone 5 are similiar, and the perfomance is ver silimiar, so it can't be that. So what does that leave? The screen size? Oh whoop de ****ing do. So how is that better? I don't want a 4.5 inch screen, it's too big and actually put me off buying a S3.

Apple have not done anything innovative or revolutionary here. Do you know why? Cos they can't. Either can Samsung. This is because technology for phones has got to a point where the only option for change at the moment is either upgrading ram, processors, new screens etc. What do people expect? A new phone that is going to cook them dinner when they get in from work?!

People need to take their head out of the sand and cop on a little bit. The S3 wasn't much of a jump from the S2. The same way the iPhone 5 isn't much of a jump from the 4s. Nevertheless, they are both jumps and improvements and yet people are still complaining :rolleyes:

I have an iPhone 4 and would like to change phone. I gave Android a go a few years ago with a HTC Desire and wasn't a big fan of it at the time. I was considering getting an S3 to give it another go but the screen size put me off. I would like an iPhone 5 as I think the small increase in size of screen will be nice and I like iOS. I also really like the look of the 2 tone back cover of the phone, however, the only disappointing thing I found from last night is the overrall look of the phone is too similiar to the iPhone 4/s. I will wait a month or 2 and have a play with one before deciding. I am also planning on trying to get a play with a few other Android phones before making up my mind.

I think the key take away here is that Samsung seem to have out Appled Apple in marketing nonsense.

That is quite important as main and the subsequent hype is so important for Apple products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Apple is selling a lightning to micro USB adaptor on the UK store. Doesn't seem to be available on the Irish one though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mad muffin wrote: »
    Apple is selling a lightning to micro USB adaptor on the UK store. Doesn't seem to be available on the Irish one though :confused:

Don't they have to provide one under European regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think the key take away here is that Samsung seem to have out Appled Apple in marketing nonsense.

That is quite important as main and the subsequent hype is so important for Apple products.

Samsung won't out Apple Apple in the marketing sense for a very, very long time. Do you know why? Cos Apple have such a large fanbase. Look at the hype around this phone! They don't need to market anything anymore, their fans do it for them. They have done all the hard work and have such a massive pool of customers that it will take years and years before Samsung marketing will effect Apple. Yeah they might lose a few customers here and there, but I would put money on it that they are picking up more customers than what they are losing.

Take one scenario as a prime example.....do you have younger brothers, sisters, nieces or nephews? Around the age of getting their first phone (10, 11, 12)? What do they all (or at least the majority) want? I know from being around my nieces and nephews, they all want iPhones. Not one of them or their friends has asked for S3's. It's all about the iPhone still. Even people who are new to smartphones will generally go for an iPhone first off as they find iOS simpler to use

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Last night I rooted my 2.5 year old HTC Desire and installed Cyanogenmod, it's like a brand new phone!! So that's me sorted for another 2.5 years. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Dont know if its been posted but the UK and German prices are up and theyre not pretty!

iPhone 5 UK Sim free pricing
    16GB £529
    32GB £599
    64GB £699

iPhone 5 German Sim free pricing
    16GB €679
    32GB €789
    64GB €899

Theyre as feckin expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why are they holding off on NFC? Most of the high end Androids and BlackBerry already have it and the Windows ones are getting it in Windows 8.

Maybe they're holding it for 5s exclusive ;)

I think it's because there is no real use for it at the moment. The whole payment by NFC tech is a complete mess with several different financial companies all competing. In the US you have retailers only supporting one or two of these, devices doing the same and also the networks are trying their own systems.

I've had it on my Galaxy Nexus for nearly a year now and have yet to find a use for it. Sending contact details?

I know you can get those tags (http://nfcdog.com/) that you can use to get your phone to move to pre programmed states. Like hands free mode, night mode etc. But I couldn't be bothered.

So I reckon Apple just couldn't get any deals nailed down for it yet. Why bother putting it in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

For the trolls, can you explain how exactly the S3 is better? The specs of the S3 and iPhone 5 are similiar, and the perfomance is ver silimiar, so it can't be that. So what does that leave? The screen size? Oh whoop de ****ing do. So how is that better? Not everybody wants a massive screen on there phone. I don't want a 4.5 inch screen, it's too big and actually put me off buying a S3.

This is Apple's and the iPhone 5 issue, iPhone so popular it’s a commodity and the brand and item is devalued. Links here suggesting iPhone 5 will cost 600euro plus, or I assume a 2 year 60euro a month min spend contract (maybe even 100euro upfront), that’s a lot of shillings for an evolution. Apple have created this issue themselves with hype marketing, so the criticism of Apple is well justified.

Samsung have definitely won the hype marketing battle as the S3 has been perceived as more revolutionary on launch and when purchased, and the iPhone5 generally disappointed. Also the US patent court case has given Samsung a lot of kudos with the public as Apple are perceived as the new bullies of the tech world plus Samsung can always market the S3 as the phone Apple wanted banned; always a good selling point.

I see a real opportunity for other phone manufactures here; I looking at you Nokia, bringing to market a low-mid priced smartphone that does 90% of the iPhone’s tasks yet costs a third so you can purchase on a short or prepay contract.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_flame_a_710_replacement_in_the_works-news-4778.php

Or maybe Apple needs to look at the mid range a bit more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Dont know if its been posted but the UK and German prices are up and theyre not pretty!

16GB £529
    32GB £599
    64GB £699

16GB €679
    32GB €789
    64GB €899

i was right so, well i said 779 and 879 but f**k me thats a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

That is dear and will test the Apple fanbios wallets in this global recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

i love apple phones and was hoping for a bigger hard drive this time but no way in hell am i paying €900 for the 64gb version, DA FUQ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Take one scenario as a prime example.....do you have younger brothers, sisters, nieces or nephews? Around the age of getting their first phone (10, 11, 12)? What do they all (or at least the majority) want? I know from being around my nieces and nephews, they all want iPhones. Not one of them or their friends has asked for S3's. It's all about the iPhone still. Even people who are new to smartphones will generally go for an iPhone first off as they find iOS simpler to use

I disagree, iPhone just have the brand name like Sony with walkman, Kids will go with the device they get used to, as you ain't going to buy a 12 yr old an iPhone but no problem on an €80 Galaxy Mini

So this is where Android is going to win market-share as the myriad of cheaper devices that kids are going to receive will lay the ground work for later life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

16GB £529
    32GB £599
    64GB £699

16GB €679
    32GB €789
    64GB €899

tumblr_lph564blDz1qk06zvo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Will it finally have Gorilla Glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

kingtiger wrote: »
    I disagree, iPhone just have the brand name like Sony with walkman, Kids will go with the device they get used to, as you ain't going to buy a 12 yr old an iPhone but no problem on an €80 Galaxy Mini

So this is where Android is going to win market-share as the myriad of cheaper devices that kids are going to receive will lay the ground work for later life

Spot on - apple are pricing themselves out of the hands of the younger generation...the young 'uns will stick with what they know (by and large) as they grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Penn wrote: »
    I'm now fairly undecided about what phone to get.

Before yesterday, I was pretty much convinced I'd be getting an iPhone5 (currently have the 4). Now, I might do a bit of investigating into other phones first.
    Pretty much in the same boat myself.

I'm invested in the iOS environment. So moving to another phone involves the tedious exercise of trying to migrate data and accepting that I will lose some which can't be transferred. There's also the pain that I may have to pay for some apps which I already have on iOS.

The S3 has a bigger but less clear screen. I would definitely prefer a smaller screen with better ppi.

It has NFC, but then there are no particularly useful applications for NFC at the moment, so that's not a plus for me.

Memory is upgradeable. So you can buy the base model and then throw €50 at a microSD card to upgrade to 64GB. With iPhone this isn't an option and if you want to move from 16 to 64GB, you're looking at a €200 increase in cost. So that's a plus.

Android -v- iOS. Every time I've used Android I've disliked it. It just seemed less slick and very chaotic, not very intuitive at all. But then whenever I sit in front of a Mac I spend the entire time cursing about how crap the OS is and how none of the functionality is intuitive. So the perceived failings in Android may just be my unfamiliarity with it.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

16GB £529
    32GB £599
    64GB £699

16GB €679
    32GB €789
    64GB €899

Feck. That is horrifically expensive. How can people afford to pay that much for a phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

wexican wrote: »
    Feck. That is horrifically expensive. How can people afford to pay that much for a phone?

by selling the phone they have to part fund it. thats an option i'm considering. I was going to renew my contract but i may go sim only this time...

Had a new iPhone since launch.
    Seriously considering looking at the Galaxy Note 2 when it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I posted this on the other "release date" thread but might be useful in some ppl reading this thread too regarding upgrades.

When I go to upgrade to a 4S with O2, I get the option to stay on my current contract. It makes a 32GB model €329 though.

Your current plans is: O2 Advance 150 & 2GB Data
    You can stay on this plan and extend your contract for 12 months or you can take one of our new plans below.

This is what I intend to do with my iPhone 5!

Hoping to get around 200-250 for my iPhone 4 32GB so the upgrade cost is only €129/€79...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ferike1 wrote: »
    Will it finally have Gorilla Glass?

Will it have flash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

seamus wrote: »

The S3 has a bigger but less clear screen. I would definitely prefer a smaller screen with better ppi.

Anything else?

Galaxy Nexus has a higher PPI than the iphone I believe.

but as you say plus and minus to both nexus you have 16gb and no SD slot for instance. works great for me as I don't use it for music other than when my MP3 battery dies on way home from work etc!

Advertisement