Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

Did anyone else LOL @ Apple blowing smoke up their arse for the first 15 mins of the keynote video?
    All this talk of innovation, millions and billions of users and downloads, and the words AMAZING used so many times.
    I like my iPhone, but cheering and wooing when a company tells you that you are making them rich every day, is hilarious.
    When yer man said "Thanks Siri" and siri replied "No problem", he had a little giggle like a child in a sweet shop.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone know if there are pre orders here for either the Telcos or Apple?

that's good that o2 allow you to extend your contract. I might go that route myself. I'd sell my iP4 and that might make things manageable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Saroku12

With cloud storage ever popular (I have 50 gb of dropbox and 50gb of box storage) would anyone actually need a 128gb iphone?
    no, people who use Cloud storage for 50gb+ Files only use it BECAUSE the phones internal storage is too small to save everything right to the device. The Cloud is only for users who don't have enough local storage on their device, so they have their files in the cloud.
    I don't want to save my files to the cloud just to download everything again, thats a useless step. So I'll stick with local storage. So there is no need to stream files over and over. And where is no need, there is no need and I don't plan to make a need for that just for the sake of using the overrated cloud. The Cloud is not rational for my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Where is the cheapest place to buy an as S3. Gonna be using both so I'd like to get the S3 first before I have the iPhone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

eoferrall wrote: »
    Galaxy Nexus has a higher PPI than the iphone I believe.

but as you say plus and minus to both nexus you have 16gb and no SD slot for instance. works great for me as I don't use it for music other than when my MP3 battery dies on way home from work etc!

Nexus does have an awesome screen. And it tempts me. but the battery life SUCKS donkey balls. Personally I'm getting an S2 because I reckon the screen is plenty good enough (its not all about ppi - the superAMOLED+ of the S2 is brighter and has better contrast than the Nexus) without compromising battery life. Also 4.3" is big enough I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Did anyone else LOL @ Apple blowing smoke up their arse for the first 15 mins of the keynote video?
    All this talk of innovation, millions and billions of users and downloads, and the words AMAZING used so many times.
    I like my iPhone, but cheering and wooing when a company tells you that you are making them rich every day, is hilarious.
    When yer man said "Thanks Siri" and siri replied "No problem", he had a little giggle like a child in a sweet shop.:pac:

I laughed when people actually applauded the new dock connector.

"Instead of using micro usb we've created an expensive new connection that will provide no benefit to users, just an expensive pain in the ass. Oh and we'll provide an oversized, ugly adaptor for €40."

*yay!*

"Instead of using micro usb we've created an expensive new connection that will provide no benefit to users, just an expensive pain in the ass. Oh and we'll provide an oversized, ugly adaptor for €40."

*yay!*

Also your car adapter may not be compatible so you may have to upgrade your car......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as a lot, really disappointed with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

If anyone is here to just find out what's new about this hardware in bullet-point form, here are the main new things as far as I'm concerned:
    • 2x faster 'A6' processor than 4s. This is a 1Ghz dual-core ARM Cortex A15.
    • Taller, 4" diagonal screen: .9cm higher
    • LTE: mobile broadband (when it eventually arrives in Ireland)
    • Much Faster wifi. Now supports wifi-N 5Ghz
    • Bluetooth 4.0 edit: the iPhone 4s has bluetooth 4.0
    • Rear camera: 8MP, 1080p video
    • Front camera: 1.2MP, 720p video
    • Improved video stabilization
    • Smaller, reversible cable connector
    • Redesigned headphones
    What am I excited about?
    Well, iOS works really well for me, and I interact with my phone an awful lot during the day. So every single aspect of that will be enhanced with this phone.

My favourite features of this phone will be:
    It's a cool looking phone
    It has a faster processor and faster wifi than my current phone (an iPhone 4, which also looks cool)
    It has bluetooth 4.0
    It has mobile broadband.

Mobile. Fricking. BROADBAND.

Why is Bluetooth 4.0 a big deal? It can pair with smart devices that require far less power, e.g. fitness sensors/watches. It can also be used as a remote control protocol for TVs with Bluetooth 4.0 (the ATV 3 apparently has a 4.0 chip). This of course goes for all BT 4.0 phones, but I am glad that Apple phones now have it.

Do other phones available in September 2012 have these features? Yes.

Am I glad that Apple now have a phone available with these features (albeit at a higher price)? Yes.

Do these features come as a surprise (as much of a surprise as, say, the original iPad announcement)? No.

If I were to show myself this phone in 1998? It would have been f*cking MINDBLOWING.

A note on perceived fanboyism:
    This will be my third iPhone. Why do I keep buying them? Because I know they are one of the most important products to (currently) the biggest tech company in the world, therefore I know they have put an unimaginable amount of effort into making it the best phone they can. This situation will be different in 10/20 years.

(having said that OMG have you seen the exquisite chamfer??!!!)

I was surprised by the tallening of the screen but thinking about it when I write text the keyboard takes up too much of my iPhone 4's screen. I hate having to scroll back to see what I've written.

If Samsung, ASUS, Nokia, Google are your bag then that's great. I'm happy for you. You will have a cool phone and I will have a cool phone. They will be different, and that is a good thing.

Also your car adapter may not be compatible so you may have to upgrade your car......

How can Apple ever call themselves environmentally conscious ever again?

They're currently making millions of new cables and adaptors while urging people to throw away millions of old cables.

They touted these new cables without actually explaining what benefit they bring. They're even USB 2.0! Heinous stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Got my hands on an iPhone 5 already, and it's pretty cool:cool:

Took my 4S, placed it on the ground, and drove my Landcruiser over it, just at the correct speed and velocity, to stretch the phone, and flatten it down a bit.

Hey presto, iPhone 5:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

*yay!*

Bear in mind, quite a few members of the audience at Apple expos are Apple employees. They Clap, the rest just follow!

How can Apple ever call themselves environmentally conscious ever again?

They're currently making millions of new cables and adaptors while urging people to throw away millions of old cables.

They touted these new cables without actually explaining what benefit they bring. They're even USB 2.0! Heinous stuff altogether.

The benefit is, if you are a lazy bastard, you can just stick it in any old way.
    Oh and it looks cool.
    Oh and it makes them even more money.:pac:

Bear in mind, quite a few members of the audience at Apple expos are Apple employees. They Clap, the rest just follow!

Ah...I reckon the rest were invited to a pre-keynote KoolAid reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I dont get it...

Boardies complaining about the keynote speech, about this, about glass, about the other

Dont buy the damn thing....and don't watch the live blogs or keynote speech

Easy....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Ah...I reckon the rest were invited to a pre-keynote KoolAid reception.

Quality stuff guys, keep it coming

kingofpopcorn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

MG Siegler sums it up
    Apple is not and will not make changes just for the sake of change. And while some may now be clamoring for this change, the paradox is that if Apple did make some big changes, many of the same people would bitch and moan about them. Apple is smart enough to know that in this case, most people don’t really want change, they just think that they do because that’s the easiest way to perceive value: visual newness.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/the-iphone-5-event/

I dont get it...

Boardies complaining about the keynote speech, about this, about glass, about the other

Dont buy the damn thing....and don't watch the live blogs or keynote speech

Easy....

Equally....don't read the complaining posts! Don't waste your time posting your own complaint

miralize wrote: »

Hmmm but you have to offer something.
    I still say they should have kept it thicker. Noone cares about the weight of iphone 4S - its not a burden to carry. They should have kept it the fraction thicker and given it a monster battery. People do care about recharging frequency. Nobody I know says "I'm happy with the battery life on my phone" - regardless of make (note I don't know anyone with a Droid Razrr Maxx:) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

arrrghhh! why are the media saying the prices are the same as the current iPhone? The Indo article on the phone says -
    "Prices will be identical to the current models"

And the guy on Nova pretty much just said the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So. My contract is up with 3 in three months.

Should I buy the iPhone 5 sim free and move down to their €20 a month prepay plan (which really would serve my needs fine) or upgrade and extend the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Would love to sell my iPhone 4 32GB and offset some of the cost to buy sim free so I can get a sim only rolling contract but I wouldn't get near enough with those prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

iOS 6 feature availability,
    http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

Nothing Siri related is available in Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Simon201 wrote: »
    arrrghhh! why are the media saying the prices are the same as the current iPhone? The Indo article on the phone says -

Because IRL prices HAVE NOT been released yet!
    The UK price has jumped for the 16gb only!
    The 32gb was 599stg when i bought the 4 two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

*yay!*

The main 'advantage' of the new connection is that it is smaller and allows the headphone jack to go onto the bottom of the phone.

That and it's reversible. Which you might laugh at. But as soon as people get used to that then other cables will seem finicky and everyone else will follow suit.

Still, bit of a shame they couldn't try to do something in coordination with the rest of the industry. I thought the EU was forcing mobile companies to heel over all having different charger standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I
    If I were to show myself this phone in 1998? It would have been f*cking MINDBLOWING.
    Even the Samsung Tocco Lite would have been mind blowing back then. A phone that has a colour screen which you press on to operate? Shut up and take my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Simon201 wrote: »

Maybe they mean on contract basis from the various networks?

Here's hoping Irish prices are cheaper than Germany's....they after all, have more money than us :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Would love to sell my iPhone 4 32GB and offset some of the cost to buy sim free so I can get a sim only rolling contract but I wouldn't get near enough with those prices.

What did you expect though?
    I got 350e for my 32gb IP4 this week. That 50% of its value from 2 years ago, thats good by any standards, and for a phone or tech toy, its excellent.

Try this :

Sell IP4.
    Upgrade your billp pay AC to S3 or similar and sell S3. (assuming you want to stay with your current provider of course.)

Use cash to buy from Apple direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

quad_red wrote: »
    I thought the EU was forcing mobile companies to heel over all having different charger standards?

Yup, they're enforcing that all smartphones have a micro-USB connection for charging, so what apple did was release a micro-usb to lightning adapter. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD820/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm not getting the people on here moaning about the iPhone 5 and saying they have, or are going to get, an S3/Nexus/Carrier Pigeon. I don't get it because I like Apple's stuff but when the S3 came out, and the Nexus 7, I looked at them and thought 'Yeah, they're cool devices. Not so shabby at all'. I'm not going to buy them but i don't look down my nose at S3 users either when I see their phone. When Google released their ATV rival earlier this year and it was patently crap, I didn't feel compelled to hang out on Android forums telling people there how I'm sticking with my ATV for reasons X, Y and Z. Frankly, going onto a Samsung or Android forum and banging on about what i think is wrong with those platforms is boring for me and boring for the forum members. Android aint my bag and that's fine because it's a lot of other people's bags.

I don't have the usual compulsion to go and get the iPhone 5. It's an evolution rather than a revolution. Overall I was dissatisfied with the products yesterday. I happen to like the small square Nano and the new one needed WiFi as well as BT IMHO. The Touch, I don't care about. The iPhone should have had NFC IMHO and I don't really buy what Phil Schiller says that 'Passbook already does what people need to do anyway'. That being said, the sector may not be mature enough just yet also. For once, I woke up this morning after a keynote and didn't wish that my Apple product would suddenly die giving me an excuse to upgrade. I'll likely get an iP 5 and be quite happy with it but there isn't a 'must have' factor to this phone. We may need to wait for the iP 6 for that... I hope!

Advertisement