Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

most people don’t really want change, they just think that they do

Stick with your current phone then. You'll have absolutely no change whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

flazio wrote: »
    Even the Samsung Tocco Lite would have been mind blowing back then. A phone that has a colour screen which you press on to operate? Shut up and take my money.

Exactly. This thread is the ultimate First World Problem angst-fest.

kceire wrote: »
    What did you expect though?
    I got 350e for my 32gb IP4 this week. That 50% of its value from 2 years ago, thats good by any standards, and for a phone or tech toy, its excellent.

Try this :

Sell IP4.
    Upgrade your billp pay AC to S3 or similar and sell S3. (assuming you want to stay with your current provider of course.)

Use cash to buy from Apple direct.

Intredasting.jpg Would the S3 not be simlocked having bought it on billpay though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

quad_red wrote: »

That and it's reversible. Which you might laugh at. But as soon as people get used to that then other cables will seem finicky and everyone else will follow suit.
    A Nokia 3210 has a charger that can spin. Whats your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I dont get it...

Boardies complaining about the keynote speech, about this, about glass, about the other

Dont buy the damn thing....and don't watch the live blogs or keynote speech

Easy....
    If people complaining about it bothers you, then just ignore them.

Easy...

It's a topic of discussion. This is a discussion forum. Why wouldn't people talk about it here? Ignoring the rabid "Iphone is better/Samsung is better" posts, there's a lot of good points being made here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Intredasting.jpg Would the S3 not be simlocked having bought it on billpay though?

Depends, i got mine on Meteor and straight away released the unlock code.
    Even locked to meteor/emobile i was inundated with offers for them. I got 2, paid 140 each and sold them for 430e and 450e (blue and white respectively)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Nexus does have an awesome screen. And it tempts me. but the battery life SUCKS donkey balls. Personally I'm getting an S2 because I reckon the screen is plenty good enough (its not all about ppi - the superAMOLED+ of the S2 is brighter and has better contrast than the Nexus) without compromising battery life. Also 4.3" is big enough I reckon

On jellybean and I usually climb into bed with about 40-50% left after about 14/15hrs. so easily lasts the day have had the odd late night where battery has got very low but rarely have I had it compeltely run out. Though did have to turn off the Google now service unfortunately as liked that but ate battery checking location etc.

On topic:
    I'll be interested in seeing the real life battery of the iphone 5 and also their imaps offering compared to google maps and navigation in iOS6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

protestant vs catholic
    blur vs oasis
    arsenal vs tottenham
    iphone vs android

the arguments on both sides are old and tired, sides will be switched, yadda yadda yadda. can we just discuss the phone?

I find it funny though that the tables have turned somewhat, it was hipsterish to own an iphone.... now its hipsterish to hate on apple.

android fanboys have become what they hated!

26683586.jpg

Getting back to the dock connector though, and i have to defend apple a bit on this. They HAD to change it. the old one was.... old, half the features on the pins were obselete (there were dormant firewire connections for fecks sake) and micro usb will not offer the features that apple want in a connector, eg ipod control, charging and data transfer, tv out amongst others. now correct me if i'm wrong but micro usb wont do that..... guess what unless you get an adaptor! so are all you guys about to switch to an S3 not going to bitch about having to buy a hdmi adaptor for it? I doubt it.

so, (and i kind of agree with you here) having to get a new adaptor for your old stuff sucks, esp at 30 quid a go, but apple are not alone in doing it and samsung make you do it now for current tech!

Ask yourself the question:

Would you want Apple to use the 30 pin connector forever?

squonk wrote: »
    I'm not getting the people on here moaning about the iPhone 5 and saying they have, or are going to get, an S3/Nexus/Carrier Pigeon. I don't get it because I like Apple's stuff but when the S3 came out, and the Nexus 7, I looked at them and thought 'Yeah, they're cool devices. Not so shabby at all'. I'm not going to buy them but i don't look down my nose at S3 users either when I see their phone. When Google released their ATV rival earlier this year and it was patently crap, I didn't feel compelled to hang out on Android forums telling people there how I'm sticking with my ATV for reasons X, Y and Z. Frankly, going onto a Samsung or Android forum and banging on about what i think is wrong with those platforms is boring for me and boring for the forum members. Android aint my bag and that's fine because it's a lot of other people's bags.

I don't have the usual compulsion to go and get the iPhone 5. It's an evolution rather than a revolution. Overall I was dissatisfied with the products yesterday. I happen to like the small square Nano and the new one needed WiFi as well as BT IMHO. The Touch, I don't care about. The iPhone should have had NFC IMHO and I don't really buy what Phil Schiller says that 'Passbook already does what people need to do anyway'. That being said, the sector may not be mature enough just yet also. For once, I woke up this morning after a keynote and didn't wish that my Apple product would suddenly die giving me an excuse to upgrade. I'll likely get an iP 5 and be quite happy with it but there isn't a 'must have' factor to this phone. We may need to wait for the iP 6 for that... I hope!

Total agreement from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Getting back to the dock connector though, and i have to defend apple a bit on this. They HAD to change it. the old one was.... old, half the features on the pins were obselete (there were dormant firewire connections for fecks sake) and micro usb will not offer the features that apple want in a connector, eg ipod control, charging and data transfer, tv out amongst others. now correct me if i'm wrong but micro usb wont do that..... guess what unless you get an adaptor! so are all you guys about to switch to an S3 not going to bitch about having to buy a hdmi adaptor for it? I doubt it.

so, (and i kind of agree with you here) having to get a new adaptor for your old stuff sucks, esp at 30 quid a go, but apple are not alone in doing it and samsung make you do it now for current tech!

Ask yourself the question:

Would you want Apple to use the 30 pin connector forever?

I don't understand the complaints about changing the dock connector. Really, how much will change for the vast majority of iPhone users? I have one existing lead at home which I can either charge with, or connect to my computer (and that lead is used for both an iPhone and iPad), and I have one lead at work in case I need an emergency charge or need to take photos for work and put onto the computer. Everything else is wireless. Phone connects to my car radio via Bluetooth.

You'll get a new lead with the phone, and another one would be maybe €10-15. It's not a big deal, and like 120_minutes said, they were going to have to change it eventually because it's outdated.

I will admit though, its a sneaky move on Apples part not to support ipod control etc on the 30/lightning adaptor.

Also, has it been confirmed that lightning is USB 2.0?

my gut feeling is that it will be USB 3 on mac only....or using the cable direct, and USB 2.0 when the adaptor is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

What did you expect though?
    I got 350e for my 32gb IP4 this week. That 50% of its value from 2 years ago, thats good by any standards, and for a phone or tech toy, its excellent.

Try this :

Sell IP4.
    Upgrade your billp pay AC to S3 or similar and sell S3. (assuming you want to stay with your current provider of course.)

Use cash to buy from Apple direct.

I must be stupid because I dont see the benefits of this. By using my upgrade to get an S3 I am tieing myself in with my network again. If I am signing a new contract for the S3 why not just get the iPhone. It will be free for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Quazzie wrote: »
    A Nokia 3210 has a charger that can spin. Whats your point?

Sigh. Do other smart phones?

My old nokia lasted five days between charges. It's not really relevant in a discussion on smart phones.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    I must be stupid because I dont see the benefits of this. By using my upgrade to get an S3 I am tieing myself in with my network again. If I am signing a new contract for the S3 why not just get the iPhone. It will be free for me anyway.

it will of course depend person to person.
    Im with Meteor on a family and friends offer for life. I cannot get an iPhone on this plan so it suits me to get a sim free one and continue with my plan. With them 12 years now and have no plans to move so the new contract is not an issue.

What is a problem to me is i travel to Turkey twice a year and use a local sim. iPhones will not be unloced before the contract is up on Meteor/eMobile so i would be stuck with the locked phone if i bought from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

My old nokia lasted five days between charges. It's not really relevant in a discussion on smart phones.

Whats the big deal about this? you can put it in either way, Hardly a reason to say wow or go yeah thats great, its a cable ffs, as long as it charges and sends data through, who cares what way it goes in.

Some people are mad

Sorry i forgot its revolutionary "face palm"

Whoops just realised Bluetooth 4.0 isn't a new feature - the 4S was the first iPhone to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Whats the big deal about this? you can put it in either way, Hardly a reason to say wow or go yeah thats great, its a cable ffs, as long as it charges and sends data through, who cares what way it goes in.

Some people are mad

there was the same group of moaners complaining when Nokia swapped from the large charger to the skinny one ;)

there was the same group of moaners complaining when Nokia swapped from the large charger to the skinny one ;)

Haha weird,

OMG its outdated

Ehh its a cable good sir who give a s**t

ME, i want mine to go in both ways :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Haha weird,

OMG its outdated

no idea what your on about :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Haha weird,

OMG its outdated

Brockman3.jpg

no idea what your on about :confused::confused:

People that are bigging up a cable that goes in either side, and saying the old cable is outdated.

I was saying, who give a s**t its a cable

EDIT: (THE CHARGE CABLE)

Some people are mad

Where did I say it was revolutionary?

I responded to a post on the cable. I already noted (with disappointment) that Apple didn't use a common cable/charger. But having gone it alone, they've made a charger that is *slightly* easier to use. Slightly easier to plug in if you're reaching down, from the looks of it *slightly* more likely to slide out without damage if pulled accidentally.

Slightly. Say, 3% easier/better.

And no one buys a phone for the charger. But it's just one more little thing that's polished, that people dig. And when Apple change something like that, the others tend to follow.

If that outrages you, so be it.

Face palm away, chief.

Where did I say it was revolutionary?

I responded to a post on the cable. I already noted (with disappointment) that Apple didn't use a common cable/charger. But having gone it alone, they've made a charger that is *slightly* easier to use. Slightly easier to plug in if you're reaching down, from the looks of it *slightly* more likely to slide out without damage if pulled accidentally.

Slightly. Say, 3% easier/better.

And no one buys a phone for the charger. But it's just one more little thing that's polished, that people dig. And when Apple change something like that, the others tend to follow.

If that outrages you, so be it.

Face palm away, chief.

I never said anything to you, it doesnt outrage me at all :) i said many a time a love apple products, and i wasnt going on about this site, its everywhere saying Yeah, Cool, Wow.

Its a cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was there any indication on reception? Currently have the 4 and reception is sh*te at the best of times. Obviously, the network plays a huge part in that too, but was anything said about an improved antenna or anything like that?

People that are bigging up a cable that goes in either side, and saying the old cable is outdated.

I agree with the first part, but the old cable is outdated. its big, takes up too much space now, and some of its features (s-video, firewire) are obsolete or no longer needed.

Penn wrote: »
    Was there any indication on reception? Currently have the 4 and reception is sh*te at the best of times. Obviously, the network plays a huge part in that too, but was anything said about an improved antenna or anything like that?

Read somewhere earlier that because its a longer phone, the design of the antenna has been refined so its now more difficult to "hold it wrong" :pac:

Some people are mad

I never said anything to you, it doesnt outrage me at all :) i said many a time a love apple products, and i wasnt going on about this site, its everywhere saying Yeah, Cool, Wow.

Its a cable.

All anyone said was that it was smaller and it was reversible. Which is obviously better if you have no legacy gear I suppose.

Who said it was cool? Who said wow? I can't see one post where anyone said anything like that.

You're having an argument with imaginary Apple fanboys who are in awe of the latest revolutionary, genius iCable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Nokia N95, one of the original "Smartphones" did.

Again. Whats your point. Are Apple trying to claim that they revolutionized the charger now with this, the same way they claim facetime revolutionized video calling*.

*also available on the N95

Advertisement