Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

September 12th:

Apple announce a new dock connection.

September 13th :

Apple fanboys clammer to proclaim the old one is outdated and too big anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

A note on perceived fanboyism:
    This will be my third iPhone. Why do I keep buying them? Because I know they are one of the most important products to (currently) the biggest tech company in the world, therefore I know they have put an unimaginable amount of effort into making it the best phone they can. This situation will be different in 10/20 years.

Are you serious ? That is your reason for buying one ?? Apple tried really hard....bless em??? Shut up and take my money!!!!
    That is by a wide wide margin the dumbest thing I've read on this thread. Possibly on boards. Possibly on the internet at large.
    eoferrall wrote: »
    On jellybean and I usually climb into bed with about 40-50% left after about 14/15hrs. so easily lasts the day have had the odd late night where battery has got very low but rarely have I had it completely run out. Though did have to turn off the Google now service unfortunately as liked that but ate battery checking location etc.

On topic:
    I'll be interested in seeing the real life battery of the iphone 5 and also their imaps offering compared to google maps and navigation in iOS6.

Well my 2/3 year old Desire gives me that battery performance. This would not be an upgrade for me. I need something better than that - I need to go 36 hours between charges really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Quazzie wrote: »
    The Nokia N95, one of the original "Smartphones" did.

Never had a N95. Didn't realise the data/charger cable did :)
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Again. Whats your point. Are Apple trying to claim that they revolutionized the charger now with this, the same way they claim facetime revolutionized video calling*.

Apple claim everything they do is revolutionary. As do every other bloody tech company. As far as I can see there is no one on here claiming it's revolutionary, in any way.

My point is that the cable is smaller than the old cable and it's reversible. Which is better than bulky/non reversible. How do you not understand that that is my point? What point do you think I'm making?

It isn't revolutionary but if it doesn't junk gear you already own, then it seems pretty obvious it's (marginally) better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    September 12th:

Apple announce a new dock connection.

September 13th :

Apple fanboys clammer to proclaim the old one is outdated and too big anyway.

September 14th :

Android Fanboys claim their S3 can bring world peace....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

BDJW wrote: »
    For the trolls, can you explain how exactly the S3 is better? The specs of the S3 and iPhone 5 are similiar, and the perfomance is ver silimiar, so it can't be that. So what does that leave? The screen size? Oh whoop de ****ing do. So how is that better? Not everybody wants a massive screen on there phone. I don't want a 4.5 inch screen, it's too big and actually put me off buying a S3.

This is my dilemma.

My girlfriend has an S3 for the past few months and while it's an amazing phone in its own right, it really doesn't urge me to go for it over the '5', definitely not without having given the new iPhone a shot.

The screen is probably too big for me and I feel I could snap the thing by just sitting down with it in my pocket at a bad angle. It's a nice-looking phone but I wanted something a bit sturdier than the flimsy plastic back. NFC, I couldn't care about for the next 12-18 months as for the most part it's not going to be useable til then. RAM and CPU wise, unlike a laptop, phones can only do so much for me and gaming isn't at the top of my list either.

On the plus side, the price is much better and the camera, as far as I've seen, is great. Haven't experienced the iPhone 5 yet so I'll await that chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Anyone think that NFC is doomed now that it isn't in the iPhone 5?

Jev/N wrote: »
    I feel I could snap the thing by just sitting down with it in my pocket at a bad angle.

This very thing happened in front of my eyes only a month ago with one of my mates. Had it in his jeans pocket. We sat down on a sofa and it snapped. Phone itself was ok, but the screen was shattered!
    Jev/N wrote: »
    On the plus side, the price is much better and the camera, as far as I've seen, is great.

Have you priced the IP5 V S3 side by side yet?
    On bill pay both will cost the same in and around.

And if you buy both sim free directly, there is only about 30e in the difference.

kceire wrote: »
    September 14th :

Android Fanboys claim their S3 can bring world peace....

I own an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Fanboys... :confused:

IOS 6 is to have new lockdown features, mainly to be implemented for the iPAD, to stop emplyees playing Angry birds etc.. when they should be browsing the stock market or whatever...

Don't know how that will go down..

I own an iPhone.

Good for you, I'm currently running a Nokia 6300 :P

• Advertisement

Good for you, I'm currently running a Nokia 6300 :P

You can't beat the 8310!! :)

You can't beat the 8310!! :)

I still have one there. Would of used that but the covers are in bits!
    Can you still buy new front and rear covers for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

No.

The thing that really bothers me about NFC is that people confuse it with NFC payments. NFC can be used for so much more, but payments are the most obvious.

Honestly, how many payment terminals have you all seen around? I haave NFC in my debit card and I have yet to use it. I know it takes companies like Apple & Samsung to push the technology forward by putting it in their devices, but NFC isn't there yet, not by a long shot. NFC still requires you to be at the checkout, you still have to verify that you are indeed purchasing this, and you still have to use your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

flazio wrote: »
    Even the Samsung Tocco Lite would have been mind blowing back then. A phone that has a colour screen which you press on to operate? Shut up and take my money.

I had one of these shortly after launch and thought it was the best phone ever...:D
    My mate has one still and I had to fix something on it for him recently and omfg:mad: it was horrifying...I wanted to beat him to death with his dumbass phone for still using one of these pieces of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Allyall wrote: »
    IOS 6 is to have new lockdown features, mainly to be implemented for the iPAD, to stop emplyees playing Angry birds etc.. when they should be browsing the stock market or whatever...

Don't know how that will go down..
    Long overdue tbh. The iPad and iPhone have been moving strongly into the corporate world for the last two years, but companies aren't going to hand out devices which are wide open and can upload or download information from anywhere.

Devices which can be heavily locked down have a lot of appeal in business. Also good for parents.
    No, NFC is only doomed if they fail to come up with a good application for it.
    Public transport and small payments at the moment seem to be the majority of applications of it, but that doesn't really give a person much advantage over having their card with them. From my perspective, having to launch an app and then swipe my phone over a card reader is more troublesome (or at best no more convenient) than swiping my wallet past it.

NFC might be a stepping-stone to get people used to contactless payments so we can start introducing proper RFID technology which doesn't even require you to take anything out of your pockets.

seamus wrote: »
    NFC might be a stepping-stone to get people used to contactless payments so we can start introducing proper RFID technology which doesn't even require you to take anything out of your pockets.

Why would we want such a thing ? If you don't have to do something - how do you know when you are being charged ? How do you know when you are being ripped off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have you priced the IP5 V S3 side by side yet?
    On bill pay both will cost the same in and around.

And if you buy both sim free directly, there is only about 30e in the difference.

Roughly €189 on my current contract price @ 18 months for the S3 16Gb

I'd imagine even the iP5 16Gb will be somewhat more than that, and I'd likely go for the bigger sizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭touts

Nah. Adding NFC will be one of the bug fixes Apple roll out in 12 months for the fixed iPhone5 (then called the iPhone5s). Its the Apple phone life cycle. Launch a phone. See what people complain about for a year. Fix it.

Unfortunately in 24 months time when they come out with the iPhone6 the Iphone will be two years behing whatever Samsung, HTC, Nokia etc are doing. They won't bridge that gap. Their two year product cycle is a killer in an industry where a new phone launches every day. My bet is the iPhone will go the way of the iPod. They will still make it but it will be the iPad that is their main product with the updates to the iPhone tacked onto the end of the iPad presentation like the updates to the iPods were yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Are you serious ? That is your reason for buying one ?? Apple tried really hard....bless em??? Shut up and take my money!!!!
    That is by a wide wide margin the dumbest thing I've read on this thread. Possibly on boards. Possibly on the internet at large.
    42BJ

One of the main reasons I buy Apple is because they are in a good position to make quality gear. The Apple stuff I have owned has been good. They are focusing their efforts on this product in particular because the spotlight is on it. I am in the market for a new phone because my current one could be faster. Therefore I will probably buy it. The Techcrunch article linked above explained it better than I could. But I suppose that's fanboy material also?

Why would we want such a thing ? If you don't have to do something - how do you know when you are being charged ? How do you know when you are being ripped off ?
    There are plenty of ways of implementing it. Imagine getting onto a bus. You just pass through the door and a strip light flashes green to show that the payment has been made or red to show that it hasn't.

It also doesn't have to be restricted to payments, as said above. Access control is one big area for it, and a number of cars already implement a form of RFID where the doors can be opened and the car started without touching the key, so long as you have the key in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Not trying to derail any chat here but I can't decide whether to buy the new iphone direct from apple unlocked or whether I should just get it under contract from vodafone or 02 etc?

I see a lot of you on here will be buying direct from apple....what are the pro's and cons of doing this? Would I save money in the long run by buying from apple directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Summary of new features in infograph form:

iPhone5-infographic.jpg

LaVail wrote: »
    Not trying to derail any chat here but I can't decide whether to buy the new iphone direct from apple unlocked or whether I should just get it under contract from vodafone or 02 etc?

I see a lot of you on here will be buying direct from apple....what are the pro's and cons of doing this? Would I save money in the long run by buying from apple directly?
    Pros of buying direct:
    The phone is unlocked from day one and you are free to move between service providers without charges or fees
    You get support direct from Apple rather than the service providers

Cons of buying direct:
    It's very expensive

The general rule of thumb is that if you already spend a lot on your mobile (> €50/month) and you rarely if ever change providers, then you will probably save money by getting the phone subsidised through the network. But if you generally don't spend very much (€20 per month or so) or like to change provider often to get the best deals, then going direct may work out more cost effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

touts wrote: »
    Nah. Adding NFC will be one of the bug fixes Apple roll out in 12 months for the fixed iPhone5 (then called the iPhone5s). Its the Apple phone life cycle. Launch a phone. See what people complain about for a year. Fix it.

Unfortunately in 24 months time when they come out with the iPhone6 the Iphone will be two years behing whatever Samsung, HTC, Nokia etc are doing. They won't bridge that gap. Their two year product cycle is a killer in an industry where a new phone launches every day. My bet is the iPhone will go the way of the iPod. They will still make it but it will be the iPad that is their main product with the updates to the iPhone tacked onto the end of the iPad presentation like the updates to the iPods were yesterday.

Funny how people seem to think that Apple have no idea what they are doing and oher companies are great?

You're really putting Nokia ahead of Apple now....Nokia, who innovated nothing for years and are now in serious danger of going bankrupt?

The iPhone 5 is a solid upgrade on the 4s and will sell loads.

Also, you don't know what they will do next year and perhaps underestimate their ability to change.

Sill don't see what the S3 has over iPhone but who knows what the future holds but please don't say that they are in trouble or behind.

I don't see how they are behind and now Samsung preacher here has said anything to show otherwise.

That said, I'm not an Apple fanboy either, if something better comes along I'll go for it but so far that hasn't come yet.

Will stick with my 4s as I'm in contract and don't feel need for new phone every 12 months but if I was ready I would have no hesitation getting the 5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LaVail wrote: »

Totally depends on your monthly spend. Work out how much you'd be paying p/m on a contract, and how much you'd still have to spend month out of contract to cover your calls (and data!) Multiply any difference x 24 months and see what if any savings there are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

This is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

seamus wrote: »
    Pros of buying direct:
    The phone is unlocked from day one and you are free to move between service providers without charges or fees
    You get support direct from Apple rather than the service providers

Cons of buying direct:
    It's very expensive

The general rule of thumb is that if you already spend a lot on your mobile (> €50/month) and you rarely if ever change providers, then you will probably save money by getting the phone subsidised through the network. But if you generally don't spend very much (€20 per month or so) or like to change provider often to get the best deals, then going direct may work out more cost effective.

Thanks Seamus

Currently I spend around €80 per month with 02 but that's pre pay...I was waiting for this phone to come out so I could go bill pay with someone so maybe I should go for a high plan say €65 per month with vodafone or similar? My current phone is 5 years old and its a cheap nokia, also never been bill pay before so that's why I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for the reply.

€80 per month pre-pay :eek:
    You're probably getting reamed. The networks love their pre-pay customers because they're the bread and butter, paying full whack for everything.

If you can get a call history for the last two months or so, work out how many texts, minutes etc you use on average and then you can go around all of the providers seeing who offers you the package which will best cover your typical monthly usage.

Dades wrote: »
    Totally depends on your monthly spend. Work out how much you'd be paying p/m on a contract, and how much you'd still have to spend month out of contract to cover your calls (and data!) Multiply any difference x 24 months and see what if any savings there are.

Umm Dades....you may want to read your quote from me again - you appear to be mixing me up with someone else :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

miralize wrote: »
    This is hilarious

Hulk Hogan's lost weight.

Advertisement